Giants @ Bengals Pregame/Game Thread

HoosierCat

Sanu was not drafted to be the #2 WR. He's been used as the slot receiver since training camp. Whether that was the right call is debatable but they really haven't used him much as a #2. Marvin Jones was more the #2 in their eyes

Isn't hawkins and whalen also our Slot WR's? to get best 3 WR's on field I think they should just go Green,Sanu & Hawkins...Gives you alittle bit of everything Greens big play ability,Hawkins Elusiveness & Sanus Routes & more physical play...

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't hawkins and whalen also our Slot WR's? to get best 3 WR's on field I think they should just go Green,Sanu & Hawkins...Gives you alittle bit of everything Greens big play ability,Hawkins Elusiveness & Sanus Routes & more physical play...

If Jones is still hurt, then absolutely, but if they view Jones as more of a #2, then I guess they move him back to the slot.

I wish they would just part ways with Tate already and find out what they have with some of these guys.

Why Whalen is just sitting there is beyond me.

Maybe next year he will start after pretending to be Wes Welker in practice...

If Jones is still hurt, then absolutely, but if they view Jones as more of a #2, then I guess they move him back to the slot.

I wish they would just part ways with Tate already and find out what they have with some of these guys.

It seems like, every week while watching the game, I ask my wife why Tate is still on the roster.

It seems like, every week while watching the game, I ask my wife why Tate is still on the roster.

Does she give you an answer ??

Can she hear you all the way outside working in the flower garden?

I don't know how fast Sanu is on a football field but I didn't see any tape on him at Rutgers where he was caught from behind thus I find his speed to be adequate. I'd say that Marvin Jones is probably faster but Sanu can be a valuable part of this offense

I'm scared now, what's your handle over there so I can figure out if you hate or like me?

I post infrequently but my name's the same. I'm not out to fool anyone

I really wasn't out to fool anyone. I guess they had some kind of server meltdown at one point that wiped out all the old names. The new one I chose was just an old nickname friends used to call me. I got off to a rough start because people only saw how many posts I had and thought I was a new fan, and argued almost everything that I posted. I never meshed with the owner of the site "Go" even the first time I was there and he banned me for not agreeing with him that Chris Perry is the best Bengals running of all time. He banned me again for not agreeing with his marijuana laws and other various issues. I'm Lewdog.

She's as dumbfounded as the rest of us.

She's as dumbfounded as the rest of us.

Ahh, a true Bengal fan huh ??

Nice...

Here is an article from Hobson detailing what I had already said earlier in this thread while watching the game.

"We’ve had really tight coverage the last couple weeks. When we played Denver we just weren’t getting the ball out," safety Chris Crocker said of the Nov. 4 loss to the Broncos. "We went back to practice and said let’s keep what we’re doing, let’s just get closer to the receivers and make the quarterback put it in tight windows. And Eli for some reason didn’t want to try to put it in those windows. Kudos to the defensive line. I think they hit him 20-some times. Any time you get hit that many times in a ballgame, it’s going to be hard to keep your eyes downfield."

"Zim went with a different matchup up with (Stokley) in the slot knowing Nate could get his hands on him a lot," Jones said. "I respected that and I was with the game plan. It made sense and this week we had (Cruz) in the slot and speed-wise it was better for Leon to guard him.

"He was on him most of the day and had some inside help depending on what we were doing," Zimmer said. "Other guys were locked up pretty good too. Some of the zones we play are not as man-oriented. What we were playing a lot of yesterday was man-oriented. We did a better job of matching up the routes.”

Blueprint

It was the exact defense many of us expected the first day Zimmer stepped foot at Paul Brown Stadium. Tight, physical, man coverage by the corners, hard hitting safeties supporting the run or inside slant, and LBers who blitz, cover man to man, or support the inside of the field for short pass. A;; this physical activity in the second and third level of the defense alows the pass rush just the extra amount of time to get to the quarterback. It works great as long as the corners are able to interrupt the timing of the pass patterns. If they screw up and a guy gets a free release it's more than likely going to be a long touchdown with the safeties playing too far inside to cut off the slant. There is little room for error and the corners have to use the sideline as an extra defender.

Peyton, as he's done for years, picked apart our soft coverage. Time and time again he'd convert 3rd downs by completing short passes to uncovered receivers who just jog to the sticks, turn around and then secure the ball Peyton's putting on their numbers. Peyton rarely went down field and when he did, twice it was picked. I don't know about you other Bengal fans but I grew increasingly frustrated with our defense giving 7 yard cushions on 3rd and 6.

Did anyone else notice that Peyton brought the Colts offense with him to Denver? If a whole team can learn a new way to play, why does it take some guys forever to get other offenses down? Does anyone think Peyton will be a coach some day, or do you think he'll just go back home and sit on a couch somewhere? I think he is too much of a competitor to just leave football altogether. Hell he might have enough money by the time he retire to buy his own team. Could you imagine Chad trying to master Peyton's offense? Manning would be pulling a Homer Simpson on the side lines choking the s**t out of him.