Offseason Moves Thread

UK Bengal

Can't say as much of it surprises me. They have a lot to do and still have to consider other players in the mix as well.

I don't think they are going to be able to bring back everyone from last year anyway.

Madsen might not be close to the player he was before, so it will be interesting to watch.

Ludwick accomplished what he came to Cincy for. He can now go out and get big dollars as a power hitter in FA. This doesnt mean he wont be a Red, just that he didnt want the deal the option included. I dont see him having the same kind of year in any other ballpark and he might never put up those numbers again in his few years left playing the game.

I still hope that the two sides can come together and get a deal done with him, but if not move on and find another LF with some pop in his bat that can glove the ball above average.

• 3 weeks later...

Broxton was the other pitcher they are still wanting to come back, but don't know if they will be able.

I suspect with them saying they will be looking for Chapman to make a move to the rotation, they will be trying to hold as much of the bullpen as possible.

They already said they want Chapman in the rotation next year for sure. They are either going to let Marshall try to close again, use a rookie, or sigh Broxton back. I want Broxton, he's a bull. His attitude on the mound reminds me of Tom Browning.

For those hoping the Reds signed Melky Cabrera for left field, he signed with the Blue Jays.

Broxton was the other pitcher they are still wanting to come back, but don't know if they will be able.

I suspect with them saying they will be looking for Chapman to make a move to the rotation, they will be trying to hold as much of the bullpen as possible.

They already said they want Chapman in the rotation next year for sure. They are either going to let Marshall try to close again, use a rookie, or sigh Broxton back. I want Broxton, he's a bull. His attitude on the mound reminds me of Tom Browning.

For those hoping the Reds signed Melky Cabrera for left field, he signed with the Blue Jays.

They wanted Chapman in the rotation last year and only left in the bullpen due to injuries.

He was easily the best starter through spring training and i'm sure they will make the move this year.

That is of course unless injuries force the issue or they can't get some help in his absence.

The Reds bullpen was a huge strength last season. Chapman leaving it won't help.

Marshall isn't a closer, lost that to Chapman and if they move him back into that role, it will be a last resort.

They wanted Chapman in the rotation last year and only left in the bullpen due to injuries.

He was easily the best starter through spring training and i'm sure they will make the move this year.

That is of course unless injuries force the issue or they can't get some help in his absence.

The Reds bullpen was a huge strength last season. Chapman leaving it won't help.

Marshall isn't a closer, lost that to Chapman and if they move him back into that role, it will be a last resort.

Problem is there is like 3 or 4 guys that are free agents including Braxton and Madsen. I really don't want the rookie in the closer role. My hear can't take those crappy end of game like David Weathers did. He killed me. They would be up 2runs and he would load the bases before actually closing the game. Give me a REAL closer!

Wow no one noticed the Reds resigned Ludwick to a 2 year $15 million dollar contract with a team option third year. On another board I figured Ludwick would get something close to $7 million per year, where he only got $2 million last year. I wish I had that luck.

Yep. I noticed.

I also noticed that they've switched Billy Hamilton to the outfield for winter ball. Looks like Stubbs needs to watch his back...

Wow no one noticed the Reds resigned Ludwick to a 2 year $15 million dollar contract with a team option third year. On another board I figured Ludwick would get something close to $7 million per year, where he only got $2 million last year. I wish I had that luck.

Yep. I noticed.

I also noticed that they've switched Billy Hamilton to the outfield for winter ball. Looks like Stubbs needs to watch his back...

Yeah Hamilton was a short stop and from what I have read, he was an error making machine, and when you add to the fact he has Cozart and another pretty good prospect ahead of him, he had to move, or else the Reds would be forced to trade him. I still can't fathom him getting 155 stolen bases in a minor league season. They play a lot fewer games than the pros. He was averaging over a stolen base per game!

The Reds gave up a starter and perhaps their top prospect for an above average starting center fielder. In the mean time, they they got rid of depth and didn't do anything to help Hamilton's chance at coming to the majors. WTF?

Reds acquire Choo in 3-team deal

Updated: December 11, 2012, 9:53 PM ET

Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians have traded outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to the Cincinnati Reds and acquired pitcher Trevor Bauer from the Arizona Diamondbacks in a three-team deal involving nine players.

Center fielder Drew Stubbs was sent from Cincinnati to Cleveland as part of the trade announced Tuesday night.

In addition to Stubbs, the Indians received Bauer, the No. 3 pick in the 2011 draft, and right-handers Matt Albers and Bryan Shaw from the Diamondbacks.

Cleveland shipped Choo, infielder-outfielder Jason Donald and cash to the Reds, while sending left-handed reliever Tony Sipp and first baseman Lars Anderson to Arizona.

The Diamondbacks also received minor league shortstop Didi Gregorius from Cincinnati.

Red's trade

Sorry but i love the trade stubbs has been awful last 2 seasons choo on the other hand has been a star leadoff man for the tribe hitting 307avg and 386 obp hate to lose didi but we are stacked at ss. We now have a sold leadoff guy something we lacked last 2 years.

As for donald dont know much about him.

Choo is going to be a free agent after the 2013 campaign and Hamilton isn't ready to be a starting center fielder in the majors yet. Also, Cozart is under contract for another 5 seasons. I can't envision a situation where Didi was going to beat out Cozart, so he was certainly expendable.

I have seen people with concerns to Choo's numbers, but when only looking at what he did after being moved into the leadoff spot (SEE OUR BIGGEST GLARING HOLE) it's a no brainer. We get an above average player to put in center field for a season, can get on base at the top of the lineup, and allows Hamilton the season he's certainly going to need with the position switch. Hamilton would probably come up when rosters expand at the end of the season and look to start him in 2014. At least that is how I see it, although I haven't seen much about the trade yet outside of hearing about it on the radio this morning.

Overall, while I think Didi is going to be a really good player, he was in fact expendable.

Stubbs has been declining for two straight seasons. We needed a leadoff hitter.

I like the trade.

Anyone still want to claim Jocketty is sitting on his hands ??

Dudes what a freaking great deal for the Reds. This was a gift to us. Thank you Cleveland. We got are lead off batter + Power+speedy+ hits for Avg. Damn this is sweet. What a table setter for our 2 3 4 5 batters. Can you hear the World series calling the Reds name? Sweeeeeet!

Sorry but i love the trade stubbs has been awful last 2 seasons choo on the other hand has been a star leadoff man for the tribe hitting 307avg and 386 obp hate to lose didi but we are stacked at ss. We now have a sold leadoff guy something we lacked last 2 years.

As for donald dont know much about him.

Choo was the tribe's best player the second half of the season. He kept hitting when everyone else slumped. He's a great team guy, great attitude, basically everything you'd want in a player.

Jason Donald is a utility infielder, I've seen him play second, first, and short. He's also very likely the fastest guy on any team he plays on. His batting was a letdown the last two seasons, otherwise I think the tribe was looking to make him a starter somewhere. A clue to his potential? He was on the olympic team in '08, and lead the teams in batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. He batted .381 for the Games, and homered in the bronze medal game to help the US win that medal. If he can get the bat swinging again, he could be great.

Just like I put in my first post about the trade, most see him as a stopgap until Hamilton is ready.

I'm left to wonder if they might in fact bring him back even after next season, knowing they only have Ludwick for two seasons ?? Choo, Hamilton, and Bruce in the outfield for 2014 ?? Choo has played all over the outfield, so I don't see that as a big issue.

I'm just curious how they are looking at it long term.

I guess with the amount of contracts they already have, it could make it a challenge.