Broncos @ Bengals Pregame Talk/Game Thread

walzav29

passing kidney stone in Iraq

That's the name of the new Bengals' offense. We used to run the west coast offense, now we're running the passing kidney stone in iraq offense. It's sort of a hybrid between the single wing and a group of civil war combatants hacking at each other with weedeaters.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another "fun" fact is the Bengals have never beaten Peyton Manning. EVER...

I thought we had a real shot at it in 2005. It's impossible to overstate how much Palmer's injury damaged this team. Unbelievable...

The Palmer injury was part of it, but there was a lot more to it. Every existing personnel call the Bengals made in 2006 -- extending Willie, Levi and Chad, letting Walter go in favor of Henry, and not giving a new deal to Housh -- turned out to be exactly wrong. Odell imploded in the offseason, never to return, and the team lost Buckethead and Pollack three weeks in. This team is like a friggin' Greek tragedy.

I thought we had a real shot at it in 2005. It's impossible to overstate how much Palmer's injury damaged this team. Unbelievable...

The Palmer injury was part of it, but there was a lot more to it. Every existing personnel call the Bengals made in 2006 -- extending Willie, Levi and Chad, letting Walter go in favor of Henry, and not giving a new deal to Housh -- turned out to be exactly wrong. Odell imploded in the offseason, never to return, and the team lost Buckethead and Pollack three weeks in. This team is like a friggin' Greek tragedy.

I can't think of another team that has been in need of a front ofice shake up more in the history of organized sports.

I can't think of another team that has been in need of a front ofice shake up more in the history of organized sports.

You guys just don't know how hard it is to run an NFL franchise. Take Katie's word for it. It's hard.

Yes and No. I stand by my comments in the off-season. I feel that the Bengals organization has been making all of the right moves in the draft and through their offseason acquisitions and I'm standing by that. I love what they've done with the players on this team...they have a solid young core of guys with a lot of upside.

There are two problems:

1) Two seasons ago we simply had a TON of holes to fill. They couldn't possibly fill them all at once while simultaneously saving money to extend the important guys that are going to be due for big contracts soon. They still have a ways to go, of course, but I'm happy with the direction the personnel is heading.

2) Coaching. Despite the holes on this roster they have enough talent to win games. The coaching is simply not getting the best out of the guys they have and it's time to try something new. This is where I believe the front office is currently failing miserably. I've been a Lewis supporter for some time, but I'm finally out of excuses for the guy.

2) Coaching. Despite the holes on this roster they have enough talent to win games. The coaching is simply not getting the best out of the guys they have and it's time to try something new. This is where I believe the front office is currently failing miserably. I've been a Lewis supporter for some time, but I'm finally out of excuses for the guy.

Agreed. The drafting lately has been good. They just aren't getting it done on the field. Maybe Andy Reid will lose his senses and agree to come here after the Eagles fire him.

Lewis: Dalton, Maualuga not being big enough a$$holes.

Or something like that. Not really sure where Marvin is going with this or why he thinks now is the time to start throwing players under the bus. Especially since he was just defending Rey to the hilt last week. I wonder if he's getting some heat from the FO? If so that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also Faine back at practice today. A Kyle Cook sighting as well, but apparently he's still on crutches and a week or two from getting a screw taken out. It really doesn't sound like he'll be back this year.

Only player not practicing today was Marvin Jones.

the only team i know who has been more tragic than the bengals is the browns

Or something like that. Not really sure where Marvin is going with this or why he thinks now is the time to start throwing players under the bus. Especially since he was just defending Rey to the hilt last week. I wonder if he's getting some heat from the FO? If so that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I must have glossed over this yesterday, but have to say I think this is total bullsh*t on ML's part.

How about Marvin steps up a bit and stops making stupid decisions during the game ??

How about he shoulder some of the responsibility ??

And how exactly does he now challenge Maualuga when not only a week ago, he was telling everyone that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Maualuga's play and he should know because there isn't anyone who knows more about the LB position than him ??

I now have a new place for one of my favorite sayings:

F*CK YOU MARVIN !!!

F*CK YOU IN THE ASS WITH A BROOMSTICK TWICE !!!

Is it that hard to see an obvious attempt at lighting a fire under his player's asses, sheesh? The same thing you guys complain about him NOT doing. I know everyone is piling on Marvin at this point, but get serious.

I must have glossed over this yesterday, but have to say I think this is total bullsh*t on ML's part.

I went and read through the actual press conference transcripts on bengals.com and, in Lewis' defense, a lot of this seems cherry-picked out of his overall comments. The Enquirer and bengals.com stories make it sound like he came out and ripped them, but these were really lines scattered throughout Marvin's presser that got compiled by the writers.

What Lewis seemed to be focusing on most regarding Dalton was needing him to make more "unscripted" plays. In other words, when the play actually called falls apart, he needs to extend the play and make something happen like Big Jen does. I don't think that's a completely unfair comment, but at the same time you're comparing a nine-year vet to a second-year guy. I would say it's at least equally incumbent on the coaches to make sure their scripted plays actually work more often. To expect Dalton to routinely pull the coaching staff's chestnuts out of the fire at this point in his career, especially with the youth/lack of talent around him, is just a bit unrealistic, IMHO.

As to what makes Marvin think that Rey Maulauga can step up, hey, you got me.

I really don't have issue with him wanting to see more out of Dalton and Maualuga.

As you mentioned though, Dalton is a 2nd year guy and had high expectations.

Anyone else remember the last time a 2nd round rookie started the season as a starter, had the kind of season Dalton did, and then came into season two with the expectations Dalton had placed upon him ?? Not saying he can't handle that, but many teams didn't look at him in the same light the Bengals front office obviously did. I think Dalton will be alright with some additions to the team.

Maualuga is another story all together.

His play has been horrible, his coach defended him to the teeth just a week ago, and now he needs to step up ??

Whatever.

Jones still on the rehab field. Moch out a second day with undefined "illness." Other than that it looks like they are healthy.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/More-notes-Sellout-and-good-weather-for-Broncos-Jones-Moch-out-again/1159b12c-e712-41c9-9511-ce8b855fbb0b

Jones still on the rehab field. Moch out a second day with undefined "illness." Other than that it looks like they are healthy.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/More-notes-Sellout-and-good-weather-for-Broncos-Jones-Moch-out-again/1159b12c-e712-41c9-9511-ce8b855fbb0b

Most of secondary will be on IR Monday morning with 2nd degree burns.

In related news, can someone tell me why Zimmer is worried about how they figure out who to deactivate in order to get Kirkpatrick to the active roster ?? Really ?? I wasn't aware that the secondary was playing so lights out that they make it impossible for the Bengals first 1st round pick to make it to the active roster.

And here I was worried Manning was going to have an easy go of it Sunday.