Steelers @ Bengals Pregame Talk/Game Thread

ArmyBengal

Moving on from the Browns game thread, I thought I would post something I actually agree with.

The recent article on the official site recognizes how there are two 5-1 teams in the AFC and a whole bunch at 3-3.

Seeing as how the Bengals are one of those 3-3 teams, the season is far from lost. They haven't blown it completely.

However, what they have done is put themselves in a corner heading into a part of the schedule where they can no longer afford to make the mistakes they have made against teams they should have beaten. Do I have the faith they will pull their collective heads out of their asses ?? No, not really but it is what it is and they will be facing a Steelers team that is hurting and not playing well.

"We keep talking about parity; theres a lot of parity," left tackle Andrew Whitworth said Monday. "The good teams and bad teams are actually really close to each other. This is a situation where, if you look at it, the entire AFC really has an opportunity, if San Diego loses, to be 3-3 other than two teams. Its still anybodys season. Its basically like were starting the season from scratch."

"That's what Zimmer was telling us; even though we lost the last two, there's one positive," said defensive tackle Domata Peko. "There are two 5-1 teams and then the rest of us are in the same kind of boat.

"There are some teams that have won five games and then there's the rest of them. We're still in it right now. We have to go out and get this win. It's a very important week and every time we have the black and yellow, its a huge game for us. I know it's going to be really loud here. Sunday night game. We're going to bring our A game. We can't be half-stepping around here. We know that and we're going to fix it."

"As a defensive player and a player in the NFL, you never want to be a nice player. Off the field, that's cool. But on the field … ," Peko said. "That stuff doesn't sit well with a lot of the guys. We take it as a challenge, and as motivation. We'll see how nice we are this weekend."

"I think it's something to challenge us and it has because it's got us all talking in the D-line room like, 'Man, I'm not nice,' " Peko said.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/AFC-parity-energizes-Bengals/18fc8e7e-5461-4725-a349-b95a146ad164

Some of that sounds exactly like last week when they were "ANGRY", but this is really one of those situations where they have to win. Another loss not only drops them to 3-4, it would put them at 1-3 in the Division. It's put up or shut up time.

Put your money where your mouth is and go beat the next team on the schedule.

I still have little faith considering the amount of challenges this team faces.

They simply seem like a team that has very little focus.

Thoughts ???

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to believe in them I really do, but they are really making it hard too. I will root like crazy for them, but the fact that they had a chance to really make some noise and failed too, really makes it hard to have faith in them. Now Marvin go prove me wrong! Gruden will please just put toghter your best game keep them guessing. Zimmer make sure your guys are on the same page no big plays! No freakin turnovers please!

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I really wish they would have taken a RB higher in the draft. The play that really sticks out to me last week was the swing pass drop by Gresham. That could have been a huge gain. The drops are killing this team. This is the kind of game that the Steelers win and the Bengals win. It's time for the young guys to grow up. At home, prime time, desperate game against a beat down Steeler team? Gotta win. I have no faith though.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I really wish they would have taken a RB higher in the draft. The play that really sticks out to me last week was the swing pass drop by Gresham. That could have been a huge gain. The drops are killing this team. This is the kind of game that the Steelers win and the Bengals win. It's time for the young guys to grow up. At home, prime time, desperate game against a beat down Steeler team? Gotta win. I have no faith though.

It is the kind of game that could give this team the confidence they need. Right now it's what this team lacks. When things go bad for this team they let it affect them and they can't overcome it. Look at Denver last night horrible things happened to them, but they didn't let that phase them, they played there game and won.

That's a problem with this team. What exactly is "their type of game" ??

To this point, "their type of game" includes the inability to run the ball, dropping passes and not expecting anyone on defense past the front 4 to look like they know what the hell is going on. Playing that type of game isn't going to be winning many games.

Oddly enough, should they be able to get it together, I could see them winning this game.

I'm just not banking on it.

Right now both teams are playing bad football and neither deserves to be in the playoffs without major improvement. Heres to hoping this is the week that the young Bengals get it all together and start playing solid football, if not, the season is falling apart rather quickly.

The play that really sticks out to me last week was the swing pass drop by Gresham. That could have been a huge gain. The drops are killing this team.

I actually put that one more on Andy. It's the same thing we saw all preseason and early on: Dalton being just a bit off target. Remember all the chatter in the preseason after he kept overthrowing guys long about how he was still getting used to his pumped-up arm? Same accuracy issues.

I think one thing we keep forgetting is how much turnover there was on offense: three new offensive linemen, a new bell cow RB, two new WRs and, as it turned out, all new TEs except Gresham. Basically we have five starters -- Dalton, Gresham, the two tackles and Green -- left from last season. That every game hasn't been like the last two is something of a minor miracle. Moreover, I doubt the game of musical wide receivers has helped much. We started the year with Tate at No. 2, then went to Binns, then to Hawkins and now Marvin Jones is seeing more time. I wanted to see more of Jones myself, but the point is continuity hasn't been a big thing. So the fact we are seeing repeated execution issues probably shouldn't be surprising.

How to fix it? Reps, reps, reps.

There is simply no balance to this offense. THe run game is underwater, thus Dalton ends up throwing all the time. If that's all they can do, fine. Go apes**t and bring in 4 and 5 wide. Throw like mad. But they don't. They run a whole bunch of stupid plays that don't work.

When the guys drops the ball, time to bring in new guys. I am totally over Gresham on this team. When he is not MIA, he makes mistakes and drops passes. The few times he does it right, people jump his business like he's Tony Gonzales. He's not.

As for the D, this will be a good week to get things in line. With the offense they are now running, they are facing a similar identity crisis. Ben will cause fits but he is prone to errors, and it will be key to get take aways from his mistakes.

I think the *can* win but will struggle. Sine they can't run the ball, they get too one-dimensional and won't fully commit to pass-happy scheme that could give them mismatches and advantages. The D is not good enough to stip anyone, let alone a tough div rival.

Bengals lose 27-17.

There is simply no balance to this offense. THe run game is underwater, thus Dalton ends up throwing all the time. If that's all they can do, fine. Go apes**t and bring in 4 and 5 wide. Throw like mad. But they don't. They run a whole bunch of stupid plays that don't work.

When the guys drops the ball, time to bring in new guys. I am totally over Gresham on this team. When he is not MIA, he makes mistakes and drops passes. The few times he does it right, people jump his business like he's Tony Gonzales. He's not.

As for the D, this will be a good week to get things in line. With the offense they are now running, they are facing a similar identity crisis. Ben will cause fits but he is prone to errors, and it will be key to get take aways from his mistakes.

I think the *can* win but will struggle. Sine they can't run the ball, they get too one-dimensional and won't fully commit to pass-happy scheme that could give them mismatches and advantages. The D is not good enough to stip anyone, let alone a tough div rival.

Bengals lose 27-17.

Yep when Dalton throws it 40 plus times a game, you just know this team will lose. Last week there ahead the 3rd quarter rolls around, and it had to be some of the worst play calling I have seen, I thought Brat was back! If they could only run the ball, pick up yards on first down they would have won that game.

The play that really sticks out to me last week was the swing pass drop by Gresham. That could have been a huge gain. The drops are killing this team.

I think one thing we keep forgetting is how much turnover there was on offense: three new offensive linemen, a new bell cow RB, two new WRs and, as it turned out, all new TEs except Gresham. Basically we have five starters -- Dalton, Gresham, the two tackles and Green -- left from last season. That every game hasn't been like the last two is something of a minor miracle. Moreover, I doubt the game of musical wide receivers has helped much. We started the year with Tate at No. 2, then went to Binns, then to Hawkins and now Marvin Jones is seeing more time. I wanted to see more of Jones myself, but the point is continuity hasn't been a big thing. So the fact we are seeing repeated execution issues probably shouldn't be surprising.

How to fix it? Reps, reps, reps.

That is hitting the nail on the head. We all thought the season was lost when Wharton and Cook went down but we are amazingly playing .500 ball with a retooled line. On top of the line issues, we have freshmen and sophmores playing WR. If it were your high school football team, you`d be pleased to be at .500 All the talk of deep playoff push and superbowl ENDED when two starting olinemen went down.

The only reason we aren`t winless is because of great coaching and a deep roster.

The only reason we aren`t winless is because of great coaching and a deep roster.

Seriously. Great coaching? Marvin Lewis has been head coach for ten seasons and is yet to win a single playoff game. OTOH Mike Tomlin of the Steelers (who BTW is far more junior to Lewis in tenure) is wearing two rings.

C'mon man, "Great" is a word that shouldn't be just tossed out there, especially with our coaching staff. Granted... both Gruden and Zimmer are upgrades over what we had before, (Brat/Bres) but it's hard to argue something is holding this team back. In your opinion, what is it?

Seriously. Great coaching? Marvin Lewis has been head coach for ten seasons and is yet to win a single playoff game. OTOH Mike Tomlin of the Steelers (who BTW is far more junior to Lewis in tenure) is wearing two rings.

Well, Marvin didn't have the luxury of taking over a championship team, y'know? There are plenty of Pitt fans that think his success is all due to the afterglow of Cowher and that the current slide is proof he sucks as a coach. I have no dog in that fight but there it is anyhow.

C'mon man, "Great" is a word that shouldn't be just tossed out there, especially with our coaching staff. Granted... both Gruden and Zimmer are upgrades over what we had before, (Brat/Bres) but it's hard to argue something is holding this team back. In your opinion, what is it?

I'm sure Gap can respond but since he quoted me...do I have to repeat myself? We have five starters left from last year. And I am reliably informed by others here that three of them -- Dalton, Gresham and Smith -- all suck. So either Whit and Green ought to just be put in the Hall now or the coaches are doing something right.

For the record I wasn't one of the ones who thought the season was over when we lost Wharton and Cook.

I wasn't a fan of the Wharton signing and believe Boling has given us about the same than we would have gotten from him.

Cook ?? While he may be a really intelligent guy, he wasn't a really great player. How many times throughout a game could someone here be found saying "It's hard to make plays from your back Cook" ?? Faine has given us about the same and I give him a ton of credit considering he came in off the COUCH.

That being said, while many like to point out those changes to the line and I think there is some merit to that, our running backs are either hurt or suck. Some both.

I will also say this. While this team could easily be winless, it could also very easily be sitting at 5-1 right now. That's the way it is in the NFL. You can point to the better portion of most teams and make an argument their record could have easily swung in one direction or another from where they are right now.

What the Bengals and the coaches need to do is plain and simple.

Find a way to win Sunday night and carry that.

This is one of those games I truly feel will swing this organization one way or another this season.

Win and they could make a push against some of the better teams they still have to face.

Lose and I would bet they would be lucky to win 2-3 more games the remainder of the way.

That being said, while many like to point out those changes to the line and I think there is some merit to that, our running backs are either hurt or suck. Some both.

Our RBs suck, but that's nothing new. Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings ranked Benson 48th in 2011; BJGE is currently 32.

Oddly the o-line is ranked better at run blocking so far this year but its pass protection has fallen off. (In run blocking it should be noted that they can only run to the right; Whit and Boling completely stink in the run game.)

O-line

2012: run 11/pass 25

2011: run 20/pass 4

Dalton is down to 16 so far this year from his No. 12 ranking in 2011. The TE everyone loves to hate currently ranks 10th in the league, up from 31 last year. We still don't have a No. 2 wideout.

WR:

Green: 4

Binns: 74

Green: 9

Simpson: 57

Caldwell: 79

Bottom line, protect Dalton and find a half-decent WR to pair with Green and they have as good a chance to win as any team. Failing that, prepare for another beat-down.

The fact the Steelers are number one in the NFL in 3rd down conversions play right into this team's weaknesses. Rothelisburger kills us as usual and their WR's will be too much to keep up with. I just don't like the matchup at all. I've been wrong before, though. However, if the play calling doesn't match the "step on the neck" approach, nothing will be able to overcome what I think will be a high scoring Steelers offense.

What is it? In the last what 15 years the Bengals have beaten the Steelers at home like 3 times?

Kirkpatrick might play, and why not just let him play if he is ready.

Sounds like Marvin Jones will play alot more, also sound like they want to play Whalen. Instead of play musical O-Lineman they are playing musical WR. Hope Grudens got himself a great plan going into this week.

-7 in Turnovers as a team, and Dalton has thrown 3 pick sixes, to go along with the rest of his turnovers. He also must have the most batted-down passes in the NFL right now, a problem that hasn't improved.

Dalton is 0 for 5 vs Balt and Pitt, has yet to beat a winning team, or really one of the top tier teams in general, is regressing right now, and can't seem to handle passing from the pocket more often than not.

His throws to AJ and others are often too high, or off, and while his protection is mediocre at best, he doesn't seem to be able to see the field and read defenses behind 6'7" lineman during a play a lot of the time.

Think about all those batted-downs, pick sixes (a result of not seeing a defender) and poor scrambling decisions resulting in a yard or two because he can't see downfield.

A 6'2" guy can't be Carson Palmer, not sure what Gruden is doing with him, or where Gruden's head was last week with that Shula-like, 2011 game plan.

Any ways, gotta win a big game sooner or later, even if it's a down year for Pitt so far. Don't Turn it over!!

Well, Marvin didn't have the luxury of taking over a championship team, y'know? There are plenty of Pitt fans that think his success is all due to the afterglow of Cowher and that the current slide is proof he sucks as a coach. I have no dog in that fight but there it is anyhow.

I'm sure Gap can respond but since he quoted me...do I have to repeat myself? We have five starters left from last year. And I am reliably informed by others here that three of them -- Dalton, Gresham and Smith -- all suck. So either Whit and Green ought to just be put in the Hall now or the coaches are doing something right.

I think the Bengals major fault since Mike Brown took over is not drafting interior linemen (offensive and defensive) high enough. Any coach put into that situation, be it Shula, Coslet, Lebeau, Lewis, etc. are going to struggle to define an offense and defense. When you consider we have guys off the street playing center with a 4th round basically rookie guard, I`d say somebody has done a good if not great job coaching.

We are 3-3 and have had some big days on offense.