The youth of today is for the most part...

Useless. I have two guys working with me. One 23, the other 20, and you cannot get them off their damn phones. All they do is text, and nothing gets done unless I start doing it for them. IMO they can take their "smart" phones and shove 'em up their dumb asses.

Young men serving in the military are excluded from my rant.

Well, going to college right now and I can tell you there is a different feel to things these days from when I went at other times through my life. There seems to be this weird sense of entitlement I have never seen before. Like, since I go to school, I "expect" someone to give a job to me and it better not be some entry level sh*t either. There isn't the attitude of, i'm going to have to work and "earn" an opportunity to show that I know what the hell i'm doing.

It's kindly strange, but will say it has found it's way into the Military as well Billy.

It's just the ebb and flow of things i'm sure, but it sure is odd to see when its happening in front of you.

Like anything else however, there are many that have their heads on straight and will be just fine.

I was a dumbass when I was 19, but thought I knew everything.

I turned out ok in the grand scheme.

Don't ask my wife though...

Looks like we're gonna have to ask B24 to create a new forum: Bengalszone Message Boards > General Talk > GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS! :lol:

They can play on my lawn all they want as long as they obey the three rules.

#1: Mow it first.

#2: Pull your damn pants up.

#3: If any football goes down, I'm steady QB.

I figured in this crowd, free beer would ALWAYS considered to be good beer

I'm of that line of thought TJ.

While i'm a lover of the German Hefe style beer as my personal favorite, there are the cheapies I enjoy from time to time as well.

I mentioned it once, but ice cold Keystone works when playing in a softball beer league and after mowing the lawn.

Anyway, i'm not a uppity beer drinker.

If you don't know what I mean by that, go into a bar in an upscale neighborhood and see what beer people drink.

Back to topic guys, I had to work overtime today because these two examples of young American society couldn't complete the simple task of changing the oil/filter, cleaning the spark plugs, checking the lights, brake pads, exhaust system, and inflating the tires on a Cessna 172 in an eight hour shift. In their defense it was only a seven hour shift due to their inability to show up for work on time because of staying up too late playing Xbox.

After they did grace us with their presence, they spent 45 minutes heads down on their phones furiously texting and tweeting and basically getting paid for f**king off. If I ran the company these two would have hit the bricks long ago, and working where they belong. Screwing up your order in the drive through at McDonalds.

Sounds like a couple guys who could really benefit from hearing the words, "you're fired."

There's the problem. Their grandpa/my boss won't say it. You know, I'm sure there are some young non military adults in the 18 to 22 age range out there worth their salt. I just haven't met 'em yet.

Sounds like a couple guys who could really benefit from hearing the words, "you're fired."

There's the problem. Their grandpa/my boss won't say it. You know, I'm sure there are some young non military adults in the 18 to 22 age range out there worth their salt. I just haven't met 'em yet.

Ah. Now I get it. The family business syndrome. That's a mess. Good luck.

Come hang out in my Advanced Calculus class one day and your faith in our youth will be restored. thumbsup3.gif

Advanced Calculus ??

Jesus...

If my faith in you were to ever be shaken Skyline, it's nice to know I can refer back to this post and know things would be restored. PRE Calculus is enough to put the fear of God in me. I'll stick with my financial equations and general algebra.

ADVANCED Calculus ?? Sorry, i'm still stuck on the craziness of how that even sounds coming out of my mouth.

Good luck to you my friend !!!

Luckily for me I have not worked with many youngun's for about 10 years now. When I was at my previous job in a glass manufacturing business, you could count on 1 good 19-22 year old worker out of about every ten that came thru the place. I imagine that has just gotten worse with the youth of today. The entitlement attitude, IMO, comes form giving a trophy for participation. When I was growing up, you had to earn a trophy and each one of mine still mean something to me. My kids (age 9 and 5) have at least three to four times the amount of trophies that I have and none of them mean a thing to them.

There is no self worth learned when the team that couldnt win a game gets a trophy the same size as the team that came in second place and only lost one game to the championship team. This is the exact scenario that my daughter had in softball this season. When we got home I had to explain to her that her team had actully been very good and that she should be proud of her accomplishment. The problem was it was just another trophy to her, since she has already been playing for 6 years. In reality she should have 1 first place trophy and 1 second place trophy. Not 1 trophy for every year she has played plus a trophy for every tourny she has been in.

I fit right into the the grumpy old man topic, "Hey you, get of my property!! I'll let my dog out you little brat!!"

Over the last five years I've worked with more 20-somethings than I can count, and nearly all of them have been smart and hard workers. There are three in our office right now. The interesting thing? They're all women.

That's wierd the women were the worst ones in the factory setting. Most would work just long enough to get a check and than never come back, no big loss in most cases.

Over the last five years I've worked with more 20-somethings than I can count, and nearly all of them have been smart and hard workers. There are three in our office right now. The interesting thing? They're all women.

More interesting still ??

By 2020 it is estimated that nearly 65% of students earning their undergraduate degrees will be women.

How that will impact the dynamic of the workplace and gender roles going forward will be interesting.

We are studying this very thing in not only my business class, but it's even brought up when discussing history.

The females I have in the business groups i'm working in are VERY sharp and seem far more interested than the guys.

That's just my own single experience to this point though. Take it how you will...

Come hang out in my Advanced Calculus class one day and your faith in our youth will be restored. thumbsup3.gif

Advanced Calculus ??

Jesus...

If my faith in you were to ever be shaken Skyline, it's nice to know I can refer back to this post and know things would be restored. PRE Calculus is enough to put the fear of God in me. I'll stick with my financial equations and general algebra.

ADVANCED Calculus ?? Sorry, i'm still stuck on the craziness of how that even sounds coming out of my mouth.

Good luck to you my friend !!!

It's a blast. You should meet these kids. They are genuinely interested (not just in math, but in all things). One of my kids just got asked by Brad Paisley to play guitar for him at the CMA awards in fact.

Admittedly, their questions scare me at times. On one hand, I'm thinking, "Wow, such deep and intelligent questions from such young kids!". On the other hand, I'm thinking, "Wow, I really hope I have an answer for whatever it is this kid's imagination has just dreamed up!".

Here was our latest topic. Keep in mind, these are high school kids thumbsup3.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadric

One of my kids just got asked by Brad Paisley to play guitar for him at the CMA awards in fact.

Whoa! Brad is probably the best guitarist in country music. Your student must be able to pick pretty well for Paisley to ask him to take the stage.