Reds vs. Pirates

ArmyBengal

The Reds head back on the road for their last two series and start up tonight against the Pirates.

The Pirates has officially been eliminated from post season play.

Hard to believe just a few months earlier they were thought to be almost a lock.

Bailey, Leake, and Cueto will be pitching for the Reds in this series.

It should be interesting to see how much of the younger guys we see in these last two series.

On a side note, Chris Speier has been doing a great job filling in for Dusty.

GO REDS !!!

Both our Reds and the Nats are playing tough teams this week. Washington gets St. Louis, and we get them for the regular season finale. The battle for the #1 seed in the NL will be interesting no doubt.

Just watched the no hitter by homer I got one word AWESOME

Way to go homer you deserve it

He lived on his fastball all night. The numbers varied only a few MPH even into the ninth inning. I just hope he can carry this performance over into the playoffs.

The web is already buzzing about it here!

Homer Bailey throws no-hitter against Pirates; first Reds pitcher since 1988

PITTSBURGH -- Homer Bailey of the Cincinnati Reds threw the season's seventh no-hitter, beating the Pittsburgh Pirates 1-0 on Friday night. The seven no-hitters matches the modern record for most in a season, tying 1990 and 1991. There were eight no-hitters in 1884. The last no-hitter for the Reds was a perfect game by Tom Browning on Sept. 16, 1988. This was the 15th no-hitter in Reds history.

Bailey (13-10) walked one and struck out 10. He threw 115 pitches and retired the side in order in the ninth, striking out pinch-hitter Brock Holt then getting pinch-hitter Michael McKenry and Alex Presley to both pop out. When Presley's popup was caught by second baseman Brandon Phillips, Bailey was mobbed near the mound by teammates who doused him with water.

The 26-year-old Bailey improved to 5-0 in his six career starts with a 1.19 ERA at PNC Park. All four of his complete games and both his shutouts have come against Pittsburgh. Cincinnati, which clinched the NL Central title last Saturday, improved to 95-62. The Reds entered the day one game behind Washington (95-61) for best record in the NL.

I think a little respect needs to be shown to Chris Speier who has taken over managerial duties during Dusty's recovery from his stroke. The team hasn't missed a beat, and with his defensive shift with Alvarez at the plate in the 8th... it likely saved the no hitter.

Then again maybe Baker texted him to do that. ^_^

img20400324.jpg

After reading many articles/blogs about Homers no-no, one image grabbed me.

mlbf_25160407_th_43.jpg

Bailey is on the mound in the bottom of the 1st waiting to warm up, and nobody comes out to catch him! He's pissed off and yelling into the dugout. Finally

Navarro runs out and takes some throws to what turns into the game of the year.

IMO I say we piss Homer off like this in all his starts from here on out! :lol:

Now. Who here remembers Browning's perfect game in 88? tongue.gif

Yep, i'm in that crowd as well.

In regards to Homer, it sure is nice to see him seem to realize all the potential the Reds saw in him when drafting him.

Yes, credit to Speier for a well managed game.

However, the one guy always overlooked in these situations is the catcher.

Could anyone have expected anything more from Hannigan this season ??

I've brought him up before a few times, but this is yet another opportunity to say how great of a catcher he has turned out to be.

It got to be the 6th inning and I started grabbing up my kids to sit and watch, hoping to see some baseball history.

Amazing watching the first Reds no hitter since 1988 with my wife and kids !!!

WAY TO GO HOMER, WAY TO GO REDS !!!

Now. Who here remembers Browning's perfect game in 88? tongue.gif

Yep, i'm in that crowd as well.

In regards to Homer, it sure is nice to see him seem to realize all the potential the Reds saw in him when drafting him.

Yes, credit to Speier for a well managed game.

However, the one guy always overlooked in these situations is the catcher.

Could anyone have expected anything more from Hannigan this season ??

I've brought him up before a few times, but this is yet another opportunity to say how great of a catcher he has turned out to be.

It got to be the 6th inning and I started grabbing up my kids to sit and watch, hoping to see some baseball history.

Amazing watching the first Reds no hitter since 1988 with my wife and kids !!!

WAY TO GO HOMER, WAY TO GO REDS !!!

I'm with ya too. I remember the rainy Friday night in September, receiving a call to come to Cincy to go the Reds game with a few friends. Thinking it was going to be a rain out and not worth the drive from my dorm room, ... yep, I declined. Suffice it to say that I learned my lesson that day.

I too last night yelled to the family and we sat watching pitch by pitch. What fun with the whiff in the 9th, followed by the 2 pop flies.

Oh, and we've discussed how critical Hannigan has been. I could not agree more. He has become my daughter's favorite Reds player of 2012. Good choice on her part.