Bengals @ Jaguars Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

A small silver lining is that we just played them there last season. So things should be fairly fresh for the Bengals.

I also know they have a new coach so I'm not sure what all changed after DelRio left but they now have a guy name Bratkowski as OC. So I'd say we have a pretty good idea of what's coming on offense.

So a run up the middle for no gain on 2nd and 10?

If we lose to Blaine Gabbert and Bob Bratkowski, the season is a failure. Even if it precedes a Super Bowl victory, the season is a failure.

I wouldn't necsessarily write the season off as a failure, but should we lose on Sunday to Brat's mastery of the O it'd leave a nasty taste in the mouth, the sort of taste you may get if someone dips their cheesy dick in your nice cool fresh beer!!

I've never had that happen, so I'll have to take your word for it.

Edited by Earendil

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hall, and Clemants both not practicing Hall was rehabbing. That is really not good news for a defense that is struggling.

Nope. Nor was today's laundry list of injuries much comfort. According to Hobson, Scott also didn't practice today. Neither did Lee or Whitworth (knee) though Hobs think Whit's rest was precautionary. Nelson, Faine and Dunlap were all limited. They're all expected to play Sunday but the way this team struggles to stay healthy is frustrating (especially just 3 games into the season).

Thoughts on upcoming game:

1. Bengals Pass Rush: Now that Dunlap is on the field, and MJ seems to be stepping up, I anticipate much more QB pressure. Gabbert will have a hard time finding time since his Oline is not 100%, and if the Bengals can jump out to a lead, I expect tough sledding for the jags.

2. MJD: as dangerous of a RB in the NFL as there is. Neutralizing him will be tough, especally in light of Maualuga's crap play. There needs to be a concerted effort to prevent the big plays that seem to bite the Bengals D. Spying MJD with a guy like Lawson or Burfict could be the best way.

3. Bengals WR's: I do not see the Jags having enough talent to stop all the weapons Dalton has at his disposal. Binns and Hawkins have been big happy surpises, and would like to see Jones and Sanu get some looks, too. Getting chunk plays is becoming a habit, though I feel they could still do with a it more balance from the run game. Maybe Scott getting some touches will help make that happen.

4. Coaching: Staying aggressive is what is making Gruden a hot name. However, ther does need to be a bit more conservative playcalls when points ar at hand. No more fake FG's. Nugent is there for a reason, and the botched fake in DC could have cost the team. ML needs to keep these guys from going soft if they ave a lead. Nothing worse than watching the 23-7 lead evaporate last week due to softness.

5. DB's: Maybe this is the week we see Allen get on the field. Have to say Newman has been average and Hall has been better than I expected. WIth Hall maybe resting a bit, Allen needs to be ready to go. PacMan is also only average, and if the Bengals get an early lead, look for Brat to throw 60x. DB's need to be ready.

6. O-line: Apart from run blocking, I think the line is doing OK. Whit is looking more and more average, so maybe he could move inside (if there are any more injuries) and let Collins hold Andy's blindside. Just a thought.

As for prediction, I'm calling a 27-17 win for the men in stripes, with an assist from the striped replacements.... another week of idiotic and inconsistent refereeing.

Hall, and Clemants both not practicing Hall was rehabbing. That is really not good news for a defense that is struggling.

Nope. Nor was today's laundry list of injuries much comfort. According to Hobson, Scott also didn't practice today. Neither did Lee or Whitworth (knee) though Hobs think Whit's rest was precautionary. Nelson, Faine and Dunlap were all limited. They're all expected to play Sunday but the way this team struggles to stay healthy is frustrating (especially just 3 games into the season).

Well I guess that's why the best teams with depth usually win. I think a lot of guys are just resting up. I guess will see how Jones, Newman and Allen can cover this weekend. Better tackling will help out alot as we'll!

Thoughts on upcoming game:

1. Bengals Pass Rush: Now that Dunlap is on the field, and MJ seems to be stepping up, I anticipate much more QB pressure. Gabbert will have a hard time finding time since his Oline is not 100%, and if the Bengals can jump out to a lead, I expect tough sledding for the jags.

2. MJD: as dangerous of a RB in the NFL as there is. Neutralizing him will be tough, especally in light of Maualuga's crap play. There needs to be a concerted effort to prevent the big plays that seem to bite the Bengals D. Spying MJD with a guy like Lawson or Burfict could be the best way.

3. Bengals WR's: I do not see the Jags having enough talent to stop all the weapons Dalton has at his disposal. Binns and Hawkins have been big happy surpises, and would like to see Jones and Sanu get some looks, too. Getting chunk plays is becoming a habit, though I feel they could still do with a it more balance from the run game. Maybe Scott getting some touches will help make that happen.

4. Coaching: Staying aggressive is what is making Gruden a hot name. However, ther does need to be a bit more conservative playcalls when points ar at hand. No more fake FG's. Nugent is there for a reason, and the botched fake in DC could have cost the team. ML needs to keep these guys from going soft if they ave a lead. Nothing worse than watching the 23-7 lead evaporate last week due to softness.

5. DB's: Maybe this is the week we see Allen get on the field. Have to say Newman has been average and Hall has been better than I expected. WIth Hall maybe resting a bit, Allen needs to be ready to go. PacMan is also only average, and if the Bengals get an early lead, look for Brat to throw 60x. DB's need to be ready.

6. O-line: Apart from run blocking, I think the line is doing OK. Whit is looking more and more average, so maybe he could move inside (if there are any more injuries) and let Collins hold Andy's blindside. Just a thought.

As for prediction, I'm calling a 27-17 win for the men in stripes, with an assist from the striped replacements.... another week of idiotic and inconsistent refereeing.

The corners covering outside have not been horrible, it's the middle of the field that is killing this defense. They need to be more physical off the line jam receivers and cover across the middle.

They should stick with Brian Lenoard as there number 2 guy at this point, with Peerman as there 3rd guy. I actully like Brian running the ball he is a hard runner who will fight for those extra yards.

Anybody else want to see more no huddle from this team, when they started to run the no huddle they were picking up nice yardage on every play. Im hoping we some more of that this week.

The corners covering outside have not been horrible, it's the middle of the field that is killing this defense. They need to be more physical off the line jam receivers and cover across the middle.

I rarely see our CB's jam at the line. JJoe did that some, Leon not so much. I'd like to see it happen but I'm not sure they have the personnel to do it right now. Against JAX it could be ok but against the better upcoming teams it will be much harder.

I'm eager to see the three of Newman, Allen and Pacman, with Nelson and Clemens out back. If they can play as a unit and be agressive, we could be OK. I think thier success/failure rests with the pass rush.

Scottish, please clear this up.

Inquiring minds want to know !!!

Cheesey Dick ... a British colloqualism refering to an unwashed, uncleansed and malodorous penis, festooned with lumpy deposits of smegma.

The sort of thing that can sour a nice fesh pint of beer. You know, the sort of thing a woman from Clevelands' breath smells of !!

Scottish, please clear this up.

Inquiring minds want to know !!!

Cheesey Dick ... a British colloqualism refering to an unwashed, uncleansed and malodorous penis, festooned with lumpy deposits of smegma.

The sort of thing that can sour a nice fesh pint of beer. You know, the sort of thing a woman from Clevelands' breath smells of !!

That's what I was fearing.

So, is that something that happens often over there ??

Disregard, I don't want to know...

:lol:

That's what I was fearing.

So, is that something that happens often over there ??

Disregard, I don't want to know...

:lol:

Nah ...it's an ENGLISH thing !! (if in doubt blame the English ........or Welsh!)

But at least it's not as bad as those dirty filthy Germans with their Scheiserbrau ........ :o

Hobs says the Bengals say that Hall and Clements will play Sunday, but then adds that appearances on the practice field belie their optimism.

Zimmer says the Bengals anticipate having two of their old pros back in Hall and Clements. But Clements (calf) hasn't been seen this week after he made his first NFL start at safety. Hall (hamstring) was again on the side Thursday rehabbing after being scratched Sunday. Cornerback Jason Allen apparently reinjured his thigh and was riding the bike, a step back from Wednesday.

Re Faine, he has a hamstring issue. Limited yesterday, DNP today, so that's alarming.

Hobs says the Bengals say that Hall and Clements will play Sunday, but then adds that appearances on the practice field belie their optimism.

Zimmer says the Bengals anticipate having two of their old pros back in Hall and Clements. But Clements (calf) hasn't been seen this week after he made his first NFL start at safety. Hall (hamstring) was again on the side Thursday rehabbing after being scratched Sunday. Cornerback Jason Allen apparently reinjured his thigh and was riding the bike, a step back from Wednesday.

Re Faine, he has a hamstring issue. Limited yesterday, DNP today, so that's alarming.

Yea Faines injury sucks I can only hope that they are taking it easy on him and letting him rest,while getting alittle work in yesterday.

Zimmer says he anticipates Hall and Clemants to play Sunday. They have not practiced at all, so who knows.

Jags injury report per jaguars.com:

Wide receiver Laurent Robinson missed practice for a second consecutive day Thursday.

Robinson, who sustained a blow to the head Sunday in a victory over Indianapolis, was listed as did not practice on the team’s injury report, one of three players to have missed practice each of the last two days.

Linebacker Daryl Smith (groin) and defensive end George Selvie each missed the last two practices, and Head Coach Mike Mularkey said this week it’s unlikely either will play.

Robinson, along with fullback Montell Owens and cornerback Kevin Rutland, passed concussion tests early in the week Monday. All three were cleared to practice this week.

Also Thursday, guard Eben Britton and tackle Cameron Bradfield each practiced full, making it more likely the tandem will start Sunday after missing the past two games with ankle injuries. Bradfield had worked full Wednesday with Britton working limited.

Defensive end Austen Lane (foot) and running back Rashad Jennings (knee) worked full Thursday for a second consecutive day. Defensive tackle Tyson Alualu and center Brad Meester returned to practice after missing Wednesday for non-injury reasons.

Injury update from Hobs:

Bengals cornerback Leon Hall (hamstring) didn't practice Friday morning and for the third straight day this week he was on the rehab field. But he wouldn't rule himself out of a second straight game Sunday (4:05 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 12) in Jacksonville.

For the third straight day cornerback/safety Nate Clements (calf) was nowhere to be found outside and for the first time this week appeared briefly in the locker room before Friday's practice.

Meanwhile, right end Michael Johnson (foot), center Jeff Faine (hamstring), left tackle Andrew Whitworth (knee), and running back Bernard Scott (ankle) were on the field.

Re Hall, I suppose anything is possible but it's rare that a guy doesn't practice all week and then plays Sunday. And whatever is up with Clements, it clearly can't be good.

First time I recall seeing MJ and a foot issue mentioned. Obviously it isn't keeping him off the field but it bears watching.

ETA: Allen reportedly also on the side rehabbing with Hall today.

I don't think Clemants plays I think we will see a lot of Crocker playing in the Nickle and safety.

They will hardly have any CB looks like Allen is doubtful also. I hope Gabbert dosnt have a career day against this defense.

With Faine ? for Sunday Robinson may be looking at his first start, how crazy is this. This team is so injured it sucks! Hope Depth helps them through these early games, and the injured will be ready down the stretch.

uhm, whats up with Muckelroy already?

Joe Reedy tweet of injury report a little bit ago:

@Joe Reedy

Kirkpatrick, Allen, Clements, Muckelroy and Hall did not practice; Faine, Scott and Johnson were limited; Dunlap, Nelson and Whitworth had full participation

(thats 4 corners not practicing at all, and is really the bigger issue, but we all knew about that problem already -- I hadn't heard about any problems with Muck til today)

uhm, whats up with Muckelroy already?

Joe Reedy tweet of injury report a little bit ago:

@Joe Reedy

Kirkpatrick, Allen, Clements, Muckelroy and Hall did not practice; Faine, Scott and Johnson were limited; Dunlap, Nelson and Whitworth had full participation

(thats 4 corners not practicing at all, and is really the bigger issue, but we all knew about that problem already -- I hadn't heard about any problems with Muck til today)

Muck was out with a illness.