Browns @ Bengals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

Today we got to watch a bad team beat a worse team. Ill take the ugly win over an emotional victory any day, but this game does not inspire me with confidence at all.

Yeah I'm not partying that hard either. I realize our defense blows.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the late SNF game, I don't give a s**t one way or the other, But I DO want to see the post game hand shake between the head coaches. That may be interesting. :lol:

I don't care either, but to know that Justin Smith goes there and is a beast, and how about Ahmed Brooks, I think the bengals could use them again. Not a 9ers fan but there defense is crazy to watch very disappointed and hardly misses tackles.

I don't care either, but to know that Justin Smith goes there and is a beast, and how about Ahmed Brooks, I think the bengals could use them again.

Yup. Imagine this D with Smith, Brooks & JJoe... :(

Yep it is sad.

Watching this game though, even when the 9ers dont get pressure on the qb, they dont allow the Lions WR to run free in the middle, or RBs, to run free in the flat with nobody even close to them like the bengals defense does. I dont understand if thats a scheme/coaching problem, or just a big lack of talent on the bengals defense?

I don't care either, but to know that Justin Smith goes there and is a beast, and how about Ahmed Brooks, I think the bengals could use them again.

Yup. Imagine this D with Smith, Brooks & JJoe... :(

Yep it is sad.

Watching this game though, even when the 9ers dont get pressure on the qb, they dont allow the Lions WR to run free in the middle, or RBs, to run free in the flat with nobody even close to them like the bengals defense does. I dont understand if thats a scheme/coaching problem, or just a big lack of talent on the bengals defense?

All I can say is this: All day long, I've been wearing an old t-shirt I bought years ago with the (then) Bengals camp slogan: Do Your Job.

Marvin needs to bring that back, because too many players aren't doing that.

It would be great to have those players back here sure, but we don't and a big reason they are excelling where they are is the scheme they are playing in. The 49er's play in a 3-4 base scheme and certainly plays to those players strenghts. Brooks is also on record as saying how lacksidasical he was when he was here and it took getting cut to open his eyes. Translation, he was never going to be a good player for us.

As far as the Bengals game yesterday, it's nothing to be hanging your hat on for sure.

I said the week before about things never being as good or bad as they appear.

Well, the secondary IS IN FACT as bad as they appear. The thing that I was glad to hear Lap mention, because I thought I kept seeing it yesterday, was how the Browns continually had guys back to protect Weeden and the Bengals continually only rushed 4 guys dropping 7. With that being the case, how the hell does our defense give up the yards and points they did ?? UNACCEPTABLE on all accounts and it needs to get fixed and quick.

If Dalton can get those passes in there he barely missed yesterday the game isn't even close, but it's kind of hard to complain about his 300+ yards and 3 TD's. I will complain about the 6 sacks, because he has to know to get rid of the ball when he's outside the tackle box. I didn't really see those mistakes last year from him.

I'm not optimistic going forward unless Zimmer can get the defense to pull their collective heads out.

OH YEAH, WHAT THE F*CK IS MAUALUGA DOING OUT THERE ?? So much for the offseason workouts we heard so much about.

What I meant by sophomore slump mem is his sudden inability to throw the ball away avoiding the needless sack. Last season he was doing that.

His reads are also not as good as last year as there has been too many wildly thrown balls in 2 games 2 of those have been ints 1 a pick 6. I know gresham owned up to that but it's still on the QB to recognise.

Overall I think dalton is trying too hard so far this year and not letting it flow like last year the amount of weapons he has he should be spreading it about more not just looking for AJ which was the cause of most of those sacks.

this Sims/success link has been reported so much for the past 10 months. It'll be interesting to see if we actually get better when Sims does return later in the year.

my guess is that there's a lot more missing from this defense than a backup defensive tackle, even when Dunlap returns.

I have an irrational hope that Moch and Kirkpatrick will play key roles, but suspect that's asking a bit much. The more rational me thinks that neither will make it through the season.

What I meant by sophomore slump mem is his sudden inability to throw the ball away avoiding the needless sack. Last season he was doing that.

His reads are also not as good as last year as there has been too many wildly thrown balls in 2 games 2 of those have been ints 1 a pick 6. I know gresham owned up to that but it's still on the QB to recognise.

Overall I think dalton is trying too hard so far this year and not letting it flow like last year the amount of weapons he has he should be spreading it about more not just looking for AJ which was the cause of most of those sacks.

He spead the ball around pretty good yesterday. He does need to get rid of the ball instead of taking sacks. Still needs work on the long ball, but overall I thought he was pretty good.

We didn't talk much about V.Rey who I thought looked pretty good, as did Butfict, now I would love to see Muck get some snaps.

He spead the ball around pretty good yesterday. He does need to get rid of the ball instead of taking sacks. Still needs work on the long ball, but overall I thought he was pretty good.

We didn't talk much about V.Rey who I thought looked pretty good, as did Butfict, now I would love to see Muck get some snaps.

Yeah...accroding to the .com this is the first time since 1989, I believe, that four different Bengals have had 50+ receiving yards in the same game. He's doing a fantastic job spreading the ball around.

He does need to get the ball out faster, though. I wonder if part of this is due to having so many different options to throw to...

I bet u will find green had the most targets followed by binns

Well, they are the Nos. 1 and 2 wideouts, so that would be expected. Going through the play-by-play and adding incompletes to receptions, the target list was:

Green 12 (7 receptions)

Binns 6 (5)

Gresham 5 (4)

Hawkins 3 (2)

Tate 3 (3)

BJGE 3 (3)

Jones 1 (0)

I would say that's spreading the ball around pretty decently.

Yeah and two of those players got there 50+ yards on 2 or less catches not exactly spreading it about.

I bet u will find green had the most targets followed by binns

Of course he had the most targets.

AJ got 12/31 targets. 5 others receivers got the other 19. Binns and Gresham had 5 each.

In week 1, AJ had 11/37 targets. 5 other receivers got the other 26, with Hawkins getting 9 and Gresham getting 8.

I don't see spreading the ball around being the problem. My guess is now that he has so many targets he's not throwing the ball away as quickly, because he thinks his 3rd, 4th, or 5th options may have gotten open. They also apparently emphasized scrambling-type plays before this game, which probably had Andy holding onto the ball longer trying to make something happen.

But it really doesn't matter which of us is right. We can both agree that he has to get the ball out more quickly, and he said as much in his postgame comments. They'll get it fixed. Hardly what I'd call a sophomore slump, though.