My case for wanting the #2 seed

duus

Yeah, I know ... the easy desire is to want to own 'home field advantage' throughout the playoffs. I understand that and clearly that is always a positive thing.

But hear me out. Maybe, just maybe, the #2 seed in the NL for 2012 may just be more desirable. Starting with the World Series and working our way back ...

First, the World Series already gives the NL team home field advantage. Nothing to gain there in terms of seeding in the NL.

Next, let's look at the NL Pennant. If they get past the Divisional Series, they will play either the Nationals or the Wild Card winner. If it is the Nationals, yeah they will have home field, but it will be a 7 game series and the Nationals will be without arguably their #1 starter. The Reds would likely going with Cueto, Latos, and Arroyo/Bailey. I like our chances there, especially considering our bullpen advantage.

Lastly, the Divisional Series would have the Reds playing the West winner, which probably will be the Giants. In a short 5 game series I like this matchup, especially as compared to the other potential matchup of the Reds against the Wildcard team of either the Braves or Cards. Of those 3 teams, which would you rather play in a short series? I'll take the Giants.

The counter argument is the fact that the #1 seed will get the Wildcard winner, which will be coming off only 1 day of rest, having likely used their #1 starter for the Wildcard game. But let's look closer for a second. The Divisional Series for the #1 seed will start on Sunday, October 7. With the season having ended on October 3, the Wildcard winner will have their #2 starter ready to go, going on a typical 5 day rest, assuming they are smart enough to ensure he pitches the last game of the season (which I would expect will happen for both teams, especially if the 2 Wildcard teams have been decided in advance). The #2 seed, on the other hand, will start the Divisional Series on Saturday, October 6. That is 3 short days after the end of the season - 2 days of rest. My bet is that the Giants and Dodgers will be fighting it out toward the end, which will only aid the #2 seed. In the end, the 'off days' difference between the #1 seed & WildCard winner is 1 day, while the 'off days' difference between the #2 seed & the #3 seed is 2 days. With that small of a difference in off days, comparing the potential teams to play, together with the short series in round 1 and Strasburg out for the year, I like the #2 seed this year. What say you?

I generally agree, duus.

My biggest concern with playing San Francisco in the divisional round though is the new away-then-home structure. The series starts with two games in SF even though they are seeded lower, and then every remaining game is played in Cincinnati. I don't like to ask the Reds to go all the way to the west coast and hopefully take one of two in such a short series.

It's a daunting task no matter what happens though. I don't really want the #1 seed either, because dealing with the wild card is always tough. They tend to enter the playoffs hot.

I could make a case for either one. I will say I don't want to meet a NL Central team in rd 1 but other than that, I'd like to be the #1 seed because we'll get a WC team that just burned a very good pitcher two days earlier. That is a small advantage