Bengals @ Ravens Pregame Chatter/Game Thread!

HoosierCat

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not "blaming" Dalton for the drubbing, so much as pointing out he "still" hasn't beaten a good/winning team, EVER, so he's not doing something right. 0 Td's, 1 fumble lost and one INT, 221 yds and a 6.3 ypa is not going to beat anybody. He had chances to do things tonight, and he constantly came up short.

I like his potential, but he's not showing any improvement at all, at this point, and hasn't been for some time.

It's hard to get a W when your defense plays as awful as they did last night. He's not Tom Brady, did you expect him to go point for point against the Ravens defense? If Baltimore puts up 40 points we lose every time. Dalton looked good last night to me. Of course there are a few throws that he'd like back, but I'm not putting that debacle on his shoulders at all.

And saying "still" hasn't beat a good team is silly as he's one game into his 2nd year. Just relax. Week 1 overreactions are always entertaining.

I don't think I am "overreacting" at all, I'm basing it on 18 games now. He has looked terrible against just about every winning team he has ever played at this level, he never steps up in big games.

They were down 17-13 fairly late in the game, then he threw a pick 6. How is that the defense's fault? How is settling for FG's and only scoring 13 points against a team w/o Terrell Suggs the defense's fault? (and yes I know they were also terrible, the whole team was)

They were down 17-13 fairly late in the game, then he threw a pick 6.

No, they were down 27-13 when Dalton threw a ball that got tipped and intercepted. The Baltimore defense, thanks to the fact that they were up 2 TDs late, were able to pin their ears back and go all out versus a QB desperately trying to make something happen.

You want improvement? Try this: Dalton's last two regular season games have been against the Ravens. His numbers are almost exactly the same in both games: 24/44/232/0/0 last January, 22/37/221/0/1 last night. Yet last night came with three new o-line players (resulting in 4 sacks versus 1 last January), two out of top three receivers changed and a new running back who looked good with the ball but needs to bone up on pass protection.

Improvement? I'm amazed he didn't slip badly.

They were down 17-13 fairly late in the game, then he threw a pick 6.

No, they were down 27-13 when Dalton threw a ball that got tipped and intercepted. The Baltimore defense, thanks to the fact that they were up 2 TDs late, were able to pin their ears back and go all out versus a QB desperately trying to make something happen.

You want improvement? Try this: Dalton's last two regular season games have been against the Ravens. His numbers are almost exactly the same in both games: 24/44/232/0/0 last January, 22/37/221/0/1 last night. Yet last night came with three new o-line players (resulting in 4 sacks versus 1 last January), two out of top three receivers changed and a new running back who looked good with the ball but needs to bone up on pass protection.

Improvement? I'm amazed he didn't slip badly.

Yea but alot of those sacks came in garbage time, when Baltimore was going to win big. I truly think if the defense would have kept them in this Andy might have won that game. His numbers may not look all that great because after Baltimore scored and went up 23-13, Gruden stopped running the ball. On that pick six Lap said Gresham took the wrong angle and he tipped the ball right in Reeds hands. Andy tried doing too much and overall I was happy with him and the O-line. Andre Smith had one of his best games he was blowing guys up off the line. Fix the defense, and this team might not be too bad.

Yea but alot of those sacks came in garbage time, when Baltimore was going to win big.

Of course. That's when the D is just teeing off every play, the run's been abandoned and your QB is in "go long" mode every play.

By Shula's logic, Drew Brees is a piece of crap QB because he couldn't overcome a D that gave up 40 points.

i thought dalton played well up until the point our defense let the the game get out of hand. then the ravens pinned their ears back and just came after dalton. not the first time i seen the ravens defense do this to us or others.

our defense looked like a bunch of scared out of shape players. there was a lot of guys starting that had little or no camp at all. it showed last night. plus they was all scared to death of rice. any type of play action and the whole defense bit. our defense left guys running wide open all night. plus stupid plays mays and dropped int's, i counted 3.

i did like what i seen from dalton, BJGE, hawkins, green and our o-line. thought faine and the two young guards did a hell of a job. can't forget about atkins dude is a monster!!! it was mentioned by marvin that skuta and miles are going to play more maybe start. i would also like to see moch and burfict play some this week. dunlap should be back fingers crossed.

I hate to say it but peter king was right. we walked in to a hornet's nest and was not ready what so ever . we got our asses handed to us for it. i think this game wakes some guys up leave's a nasty taste in their mouths and they come ready to play next week.

it was mentioned by marvin that skuta and miles are going to play more maybe start. i would also like to see moch and burfict play some this week. dunlap should be back fingers crossed.

C'mon, where have you been? If you're anything more than the most casual of Bengal fans, you've heard that Moch is suspended for the first four games of the season...

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/13/report-teams-informed-of-dontay-mochs-suspension/

I wouldn't have much problem with Miles getting the nod, because Mays certainly still hasn't gotten the message.

That hit on the defenseless WR was plain stupid. Not only did he lead with his helmet, and launched himself, but hit him in his helmet. Any of those three would have drawn the flag. He managed the trifecta of tackling stupidity.

Miles has some nice hands and has progressed nicely. Can't say as I would mind seeing him start.

Skuta starting ?? Yeah, if he's the best we've got, the LB corps is in big trouble.

I love him on teams, but not much else.

Not "blaming" Dalton for the drubbing, so much as pointing out he "still" hasn't beaten a good/winning team, EVER, so he's not doing something right. 0 Td's, 1 fumble lost and one INT, 221 yds and a 6.3 ypa is not going to beat anybody. He had chances to do things tonight, and he constantly came up short.

I like his potential, but he's not showing any improvement at all, at this point, and hasn't been for some time.

It's hard to get a W when your defense plays as awful as they did last night. He's not Tom Brady, did you expect him to go point for point against the Ravens defense? If Baltimore puts up 40 points we lose every time. Dalton looked good last night to me. Of course there are a few throws that he'd like back, but I'm not putting that debacle on his shoulders at all.

And saying "still" hasn't beat a good team is silly as he's one game into his 2nd year. Just relax. Week 1 overreactions are always entertaining.

I don't think I am "overreacting" at all, I'm basing it on 18 games now. He has looked terrible against just about every winning team he has ever played at this level, he never steps up in big games.

They were down 17-13 fairly late in the game, then he threw a pick 6. How is that the defense's fault? How is settling for FG's and only scoring 13 points against a team w/o Terrell Suggs the defense's fault? (and yes I know they were also terrible, the whole team was)

No, you're not overreacting. You pretty much hate everyone so these comments are par for the course.

No, you're not overreacting. You pretty much hate everyone so these comments are par for the course.

The way I see this situation is:

You could argue that Dalton's pass was bad or that the pass protection broke down on that play forcing Dalton to throw a pass with players at his feet, keeping him from stepping into the throw. Either way, it changed the game. Couple that with the defense looking thoroughly confused with the concept of "no huddle" and they found themselves in a huge hole. Gruden had Dalton start throwing more than they probably planned and we already know there are questions beyond Green. Hawkins was fun to watch when they went to him, but who else ?? They just weren't ready to be in a situation where throwing the ball was going to work.

Call it Dalton's inability, call it poor playcalling, call it inexperience of the rest of the WR's.

Call it what you want, but it clearly was a situation the team wasn't prepared to dig their way out of.

I want to see what this team will do in the running game if they ever get to play with the lead.

Lets also not forget the Ravens are a top defense in the league and their performance was no fluke.

Is it just me or does it seem that more often than not Dalton is throwing into a crowd? Watching other teams

I see more throws to wide open receivers. Is the Bengal's offense too predictable, Dalton picking the wrong

receiver to throw to, or the receivers lousy at getting open? Or something else?

Another thought to that is the fact they play a quarter of their season against the Ravens and Steelers and both those defenses are swarming all over the place with a couple of the best safeties in the game. I know there is the other 3 quarters of the season and I would simply suggest that those are the games Dalton has come out on top more often then not.

I'm sure there is another way to spin that in another direction. Just thinking...