Bengals @ Ravens Pregame Chatter/Game Thread!

HoosierCat

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep waiting for Dalton to get better...and he never does.

I just don't see anyone calling him out for a bad game. I realize his o-line did nothing in the 2nd half, but he was pretty terrible. He hasn't been good since the 1st half of last season really, and he has yet to beat Baltimore or Pitt. I'm not sure he's yet to beat a winning team since being a starter. He looks poorly coached, he looks he's becoming Bengalized.

I guess there's a reason the "front office" isn't as high on him as Gruden.

He kept the team in it, too bad the defense gives up a TD on almost every drive. That first half and the first drive of the second half he looked very sharp, the o-line looked good, and green ellis looked good. They asked Dalton to go out there after the 100th TD from Flacco that night, and had him throwing on every down, against a very good defense. No way was he going to come back tonight after the defense couldnt hold them. Im sorry im not as down on Dalton as you are, he could have had two other TDs i understand that, but even the elite QBs dont get in the endzone on every redzone trys.

Dudes, the defense whiffed on three, maybe four turnovers. Those are game changers. Bottom line is the defense needs help. Their showing tonight was pathetic.

Yep when you let those chances like that pass, bad things happen and we seen that tonight where 2 TDs came after the non ints! Im also thinking we really need to blame the coaching staff tonight guys, Marvins team was not ready for this no huddle at all, Zimmer had no answers, and NO halftime adjustments at all. This tonight was one of the most horrific coaching jobs i have ever seen in my life.

I dont know about you guys but it looked like Rey was fat and slow out there?? Really think its time to look at Burfict!

I think it's time I start smoking weed again. Helps me to not give a s**t about anything.

So true i sometimes wish i was one of those fans who just watched the game but didnt give a crap if the won or lost. For some reason after the bengals lose i hate watching football, and listening to any football talk. Nope now this loss will bother me for a day or two. I wasnt expecting a win, but not a loss like this either. I was at least expecting them to keep it pretty close, oh yea thanks alot for that Marvin Lewis. :frustrated:

You put Burfict in there and he might make his mistakes but he'll bring a deperately needed playmaker to the defense. Rey is a liability out there every down. He got exposed over and over tonight.

Rey was on his back more then on his feet. I didnt know what expect from this defense, but this was embarresing. I have no idea if Marvin and Zim were not expecting the no huddle or didnt practice it or what, but they all looked lost out there.

Not "blaming" Dalton for the drubbing, so much as pointing out he "still" hasn't beaten a good/winning team, EVER, so he's not doing something right. 0 Td's, 1 fumble lost and one INT, 221 yds and a 6.3 ypa is not going to beat anybody. He had chances to do things tonight, and he constantly came up short.

I like his potential, but he's not showing any improvement at all, at this point, and hasn't been for some time.

You put Burfict in there and he might make his mistakes but he'll bring a deperately needed playmaker to the defense. Rey is a liability out there every down. He got exposed over and over tonight.

Rey was on his back more then on his feet. I didnt know what expect from this defense, but this was embarresing. I have no idea if Marvin and Zim were not expecting the no huddle or didnt practice it or what, but they all looked lost out there.

I fully expect this team, and defense, to play better from here on out. Last season the Steelers were beat by the Ravens in Baltimore 34-7 to begin the season. It's going to get better. I like this offense, especially with the O-line coming together off of injuries.

Zimmer has some work to do with the front 7. Without pressure, this defense is extremely vulnerable. The secondary is suspect and will be all year.

All in all, considering the scheule, this team can go 6-2, 5-3 to begin the season.

Agree. 3 tackles. Six Ravens players had more tackles than the Bengals' starting MLB, or Howard. At least Manny, as average as he is, had 6.

I don't know what they still see in him, at all. Of course the ultimate problem is that this team is poorly coached and run, and it trickles down from there.

Mays and Rey are not the answer. Both are inadequate. Cutesy USC players that flash against weak ass PAC -10 teams but suck balls in the NFL. Sick of it.

Quick, when was the last time Rey made a play???? Got me too.

Why is Gresham so invisible????? Guy is overrated by quite a lot.

Oh, and Tate sucks ass. Sorry but there is a reason the Patriots cut him. Also, would like to add I still would have liked to see a vet WR brought in. Meacham, Garçon, someone who has had a few years making plays in the NFL.

... That game sucked.

On to the Browns.

Just got back from B-dub's after watching both of those terrible football games.

Regarding the Bengals, the good things:

BJGE was awesome. He converted three short yardage plays by my count, and that touchdown was exactly why he was signed. I am extremely thrilled about what I saw from him. Congruently, the interior line did okay in the running game before the game got out of hand.

Andrew Hawkins was nearly incredible. He is so damned fast. I am already convinced that the Bengals made the correct decision when they jettisoned Shipley for the sake of keeping Hawkins.

The bad things:

Everything else.

Dalton wasn't terrible, but he made some errant throws that stalled drives. The pick-six by Reed was certainly the worst of it.

The pass protection was shoddy, especially in the 2nd half. I hope that improves as the new group gets more time together.

Outside Green and Hawkins, the revamped receiving corps did essentially nothing. Gresham was mostly absent in the passing game, and Binns/Tate/Sanu hardly made themselves noticed at all.

The defense was trash throughout the game both against the pass and the run. However, I do feel that Joe Flacco may have had the best game of his career, or certainly one of them. His throws were absolutely perfect. Leon Hall was actually in decent position to prevent the long reception by Smith and the touchdown by Pitta, but those balls were just perfectly placed. The pass rush was wildly inconsistent. In the first half they did a decent job of disrupting Flacco, but in the second half there pretty much was no pass rush at all.

Wow, what a crappy start to the season.

The offense played well enough to stay in the game for awhile. The big ? going into the game was the interior O-line, they played good for 3 new guys. The defense was horrible, the worst I have seen from a Zimmer coached team. Gruden must have picked up an old copy of Bratkowski's panic playbook in the third quarter. All they needed to do was put together another drive, but they imploded and tried to get it all back to quickly.

BJGE looked good, the second tier WR's looked OK, the play selection of Green only is to blame for the lack of production there. Dalton looked a little off but Green missed a pass early and Gresham missed a TD catch in the first half. It was the defense that lost this game.

Agreed that the defense lost this game. For a blowout the game turned on three INTs that hit a Bengal defender in the hands and they came up with none, two of those INTs came on a TD drive and the third came on a Field goal.

There were a couple of bad passes by Dalton but all in all the O looked pretty good playing on the road against a very good defense.

This game was always going to be a tough win, shake it off and get ready to play on Sunday, the next 5 weeks will tell the tale of the season.

Yea Gresham was horrible last night I think he forgot to show up! Marvin really needs to find the guys who want to play football because last night Gresh was not one of them. Lap was really on him for not helping out Dalton at all.

Rey needs pulled and bring in Burfict, and call back Muck, at least watching them they play physical, and actually hit!

Not "blaming" Dalton for the drubbing, so much as pointing out he "still" hasn't beaten a good/winning team, EVER, so he's not doing something right. 0 Td's, 1 fumble lost and one INT, 221 yds and a 6.3 ypa is not going to beat anybody. He had chances to do things tonight, and he constantly came up short.

I like his potential, but he's not showing any improvement at all, at this point, and hasn't been for some time.

It's hard to get a W when your defense plays as awful as they did last night. He's not Tom Brady, did you expect him to go point for point against the Ravens defense? If Baltimore puts up 40 points we lose every time. Dalton looked good last night to me. Of course there are a few throws that he'd like back, but I'm not putting that debacle on his shoulders at all.

And saying "still" hasn't beat a good team is silly as he's one game into his 2nd year. Just relax. Week 1 overreactions are always entertaining.

That was game is exactly what is going to happen each week with no pass rush.

No pass rush is going to expose both the LB's and our secondary.

That being said, it's what I thought was going to happen.

Granted, I didn't see a blowout coming and Flacco looking like the second coming of Joe Montana.

BJGE, Hawkins, and the interior of the o-line appeared to look good early on.

Blame Gresham, but it looked like he got his bell rung hard on an early reception and wasn't right from there on out.

I still blame the defense and the coaches for the lack of preparation.

All the talk was about the Ravens going more no huddle and the Bengals defense looked like they had never heard of the no huddle. Like they were walking around wondering what was happening. Clueless.

It looked the Bengals were approaching this with the same attitude as a preseason game.

NO FIRE.

Why Tate holds a roster spot is beyond me.

He played scared out there and looked like he had no idea what he was suppose to do.

He has quickly moved up on my list of most hated players.

I'm glad I had the game on DVR, I could watch that mess in an hour and a half and be done.

That was game is exactly what is going to happen each week with no pass rush.

No pass rush is going to expose both the LB's and our secondary.

That being said, it's what I thought was going to happen.

Granted, I didn't see a blowout coming and Flacco looking like the second coming of Joe Montana.

BJGE, Hawkins, and the interior of the o-line appeared to look good early on.

Blame Gresham, but it looked like he got his bell rung hard on an early reception and wasn't right from there on out.

I still blame the defense and the coaches for the lack of preparation.

All the talk was about the Ravens going more no huddle and the Bengals defense looked like they had never heard of the no huddle. Like they were walking around wondering what was happening. Clueless.

It looked the Bengals were approaching this with the same attitude as a preseason game.

NO FIRE.

Why Tate holds a roster spot is beyond me.

He played scared out there and looked like he had no idea what he was suppose to do.

He has quickly moved up on my list of most hated players.

I'm glad I had the game on DVR, I could watch that mess in an hour and a half and be done.

+1

The defense, and really the team as a whole, was embarrassed. That's the best thing to take from this loss. Losing 14-13 wouldn't light a spark under this team, and expose glaring holes, like a 44-13 beatdown does.

Even Marvin had a hard time sugar coating this one.

I thought Faine was very good, for only being here a week. I think he can only get better.

Agree. He was a big part of BJGE being able to pick up first downs in those short yardage situations that seemed impossible to pick up last season. Him and Zeitler were clearing some very nice holes against a stout Baltimore D-line. Hard to complain about that and not every team out there has a Ngata to account for, so I see good things coming.

It's hard to get a W when your defense plays as awful as they did last night. He's not Tom Brady, did you expect him to go point for point against the Ravens defense? If Baltimore puts up 40 points we lose every time. Dalton looked good last night to me. Of course there are a few throws that he'd like back, but I'm not putting that debacle on his shoulders at all.

And saying "still" hasn't beat a good team is silly as he's one game into his 2nd year. Just relax. Week 1 overreactions are always entertaining.

If they lost 24-17, or 27-23, or something reasonable, then I might agree.

But no.

This team got shellacked. They bombed form the second drive of the 3rd Q on... I'm not saying the sky is falling, yet. But I am stating the sky is looking awfully gloomy. Awfully gloomy indeed.

Fact is, some of the most critical players who need to step up, Rey, Mays, Gresham, simply sucked goat nutz. It is what it is.

If they lost 24-17, or 27-23, or something reasonable, then I might agree.

But no.

This team got shellacked. They bombed form the second drive of the 3rd Q on... I'm not saying the sky is falling, yet. But I am stating the sky is looking awfully gloomy. Awfully gloomy indeed.

Fact is, some of the most critical players who need to step up, Rey, Mays, Gresham, simply sucked goat nutz. It is what it is.

And Pittsburgh got shellacked the first week of the season by Baltimore last week. Relax. This team was opening at home, coming off the death of their owner. I wasn't expecting to win this one, but I was just hoping for us to pull one out some way. Our secondary isn't good enough to defend receivers without getting a good pass rush. Whenver that happens, we will struggle big time.

The bengals averaged 4.7 yards per carry last night against Baltimore best since 2003. Now I say build off of this and start playing ball control offense. Keep the defense off the field and run the ball like crazy. I really do think in the 3rd quarter Gruden got away from running it, and made Dalton try to do to much on his own, and he is no Manning. Dalton started throwing into double coverage trying to make things happen, and it got away from him. So be that ball control team, it might help some till they figure out what to do for the defense.

A lot of overreactions! First can I say I do enjoy anyone pointing fingers at 1 player. This was a team loss earned by everyone. It was humiliating and its over, now on to week two. I think this loss will have 0 impact on the bengals win in week 2.

As for the complaints about Gresham, yes he didnt quite look ready, thats why the injury in the preseason hurt. He did not look 100% and I really think it set him back. Same with Dunlap on defense. If you had asked me preseason who needed to take the next step to make this team dangerous those are the two names I would have given you.

Sucky game, lets move on. I would like to note, I was impressed with the way Green played, and the way the wrs blocked on runs/screens as a whole. Kudos to them.