Reds vs. D-Backs

ArmyBengal

The Reds are back on the road, starting a 3 game series with the D-Backs tonight.

I hate the late starting times. The first 2 have a 9:40 ET start time.

The Reds will be starting Arroyo, Cueto, and Latos.

The D-Backs are playing .500 ball right now and are on a 3 game losing streak.

Interestingly, the Cardinals and Pirates are starting up another 3 game series tonight in Pittsburgh.

GO REDS !!!

Huge win by the Reds tonight. Not only did it give them back a 7 game lead over the Cardinals, they also now have the best winning percentage in the National League! Washington has been slipping bad as of late.

I tell you what if baker takes away bats from Frasier he needs his head checked.

Stubbs needs to be benched and they need to move around to fit in Frasier.

Stubbs went 5-0 last night and Frasier 2 hits and a crucial triple 2 RBI hit.

Put it this way if Frasier looses bats we can kiss a long postseason run goodbye because I know who I would rather bat out of those two.

Yeah, it's pretty funny when the usual hitters in the 5-8 holes are all batting better than the guys in the 1 and 2 spots.

That being said, they continue to win and that is something I won't complain about.

Has anyone else been impressed with Hanigan this year ??

Yeah, he's hitting well and that's huge at the bottom of the lineup, but he seems to be great behind the plate in regards to how handles the pitchers. He just seems to have really taken a step up this year.

Today's game has a 3:40 ET start time with Latos taking the mound for the sweep.

Hope the Pirates can take another from the Cardinals as well.

GO REDS !!!

Has anyone else been impressed with Hanigan this year ??

His consistent ability to get on base in front of the pitcher is what I will call 'quietly critical'. This allows the pitcher's slot to either have a useful at-bat by sacrificing, or by making the final out of the inning. In either case, the pitcher is not leading off the next inning which is so important in these tight games. As another note on Hannigan, my daughter (12U fastpitch pitcher) points out to me game in and game out how she likes Hannigan's obvious involvement/interest in the game from behind the plate. He is constantly interacting with the pitcher through hand motions and verbal encouragement (or so it seems). When even a 12 year old is picking up on this he must be doing something right!

Hanigan is one of the best defensive catchers in the league. I would prefer they use his on-base percentage a little more effectively though. I hate our constant sub-.300 OBP 1 and 2 hitters. Phillips had better lead off when Votto returns.

I also agree that benching Frazier instead of Stubbs sounds like complete nonsense when we have a month left to get Bruce ready in center. He has played it before.

The Reds storm back late for the sweep over the Dbacks, while the Pirates are whipping up on the Cards 6-2! Shaping up for a nice day for us.

By the way,Cincinnati sits atop the power rankings! (Note to semi, your O's are ranked third.)

I got the Pirates up on the Cards 5-0 in the top of the 6th right now.

You know something I don't Billy ??

My bad. Quoted the wrong game score off Sportsline. Whatever, the Pirates are still kickin' some Cardinal butt!

I got the Pirates up on the Cards 5-0 in the top of the 6th right now.

You know something I don't Billy ??

My bad. Quoted the wrong game score off Sportsline. Whatever, the Pirates are still kickin' some Cardinal butt!

No issue brother, thought maybe I was in some weird time warp and you knew the final score before me.

Nice to know reality is still intact !!! Yep, kickin their butt indeed !!!

The NL Central belongs to the Reds. I am confident.

One good thing: the Reds cannot face the Cardinals in the first round (if the Cardinals make it to and win the wild card playoff game against Atlanta). Two teams from the same division may not play one another in any playoff first round.

Because of this, I am rooting hard for the Reds to maintain this pace and win the NL top seed. They would ensure homefield advantage in every playoff round including the World Series (NL ASG win) should they advance accordingly. The first round will either be against the NL West winner or the Braves, depending upon who wins the wild card play-in.

One good thing: the Reds cannot face the Cardinals in the first round (if the Cardinals make it to and win the wild card playoff game against Atlanta). Two teams from the same division may not play one another in any playoff first round.

I thought that I had read/heard somewhere that MLB did away with this playoff restriction when they added the 2nd wild card this year. Maybe I am wrong, but I recall something about that.

Just want to point out this is one of the changes and if the Reds win the Central and the Cards win the wild card playoff game, they will in fact face each other. There are other changes as well.

Here's a good read on the new format:

The three division winners in each league will await the survivor of a one-game playoff between the Wild Card teams in each league. Both games are slated for Friday, Oct. 5, two days after the end of the regular season. Barring weather disruptions, the Division Series field of four teams in each league will begin the following Saturday and Sunday.

The League Championship Series and World Series formats will remain the same, but in 2012 only, the five-game Division Series will begin with two home games for lower seeds, followed by up to three home games for higher seeds. This one-year change will eliminate a travel day prior to a decisive Game 5 of a Division Series and was necessary because the 2012 regular-season schedule -- announced before the agreement on the new postseason was reached -- had no wiggle room. There will still be a travel day between Games 2 and 3.

In another interesting wrinkle to the new long-term playoff rule changes, beginning this year a division winner and Wild Card team from the same division will be able to meet in the Division Series, which was not the case in the past.

For example, if the Yankees have the best record in the AL and the Red Sox win their one-game Wild Card playoff, they will meet in the Division Series. In the past, the Red Sox would have played the division winner with the league's second-best record and the Yankees would've played the division winner with the third-best mark.

That happened last year when the Rays won the Wild Card and played the Rangers while the Yankees, who won the AL East, played the Tigers in the first round. Both AL East teams lost their respective Division Series. Under the new format, the Yankees would've played the Rays.

Here's the rest of the article:
/>http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120229&content_id=26927024