Hamilton Breaks Minors Stolen Base Mark

ArmyBengal

It's still a ways down the line, but I really wonder who Hamilton is going to be displacing one of these days.

Well, Frazier seems set to takeover third, Cozart is set at short, Phillips at second, and Votto at first.

Hamilton has never played the outfield, but who is he going to replace ??

Bruce isn't going anywhere, Stubbs isn't either, and the Reds have an option to keep Ludwick.

I use to think LF would be a spot, but not sure how the team sees it.

The other thing I heard is they won't consider changing his position until after the season, so there's that.

It's still a ways down the line, but I really wonder who Hamilton is going to be displacing one of these days.

Well, Frazier seems set to takeover third, Cozart is set at short, Phillips at second, and Votto at first.

Hamilton has never played the outfield, but who is he going to replace ??

Bruce isn't going anywhere, Stubbs isn't either, and the Reds have an option to keep Ludwick.

I use to think LF would be a spot, but not sure how the team sees it.

The other thing I heard is they won't consider changing his position until after the season, so there's that.

I hope they bring him up and let him play 2B/SS, backup/utility/pinch runner until he improves his hitting. He still has a somewhat week bat and he makes a perfect 200-250 AB speedster sub player if he can keep a respectable average in the bigs. Phillips is the oldest player in the IF(not counting Grandpa Rolen) and has shown a drop in his defense in recent weeks. I know I will get raked over the coals for this statement, but if you watch the games without a pair of BP fan glasses on, it is the truth. So in a couple of years when Billy Hamilton is ready to be a full time player, BP just might be the weekest link and used as trade bait.

He could be a big factor this fall as a pinch runner in big games down the stretch and into the playoffs. Just another reason to love this summer as a Reds fan.

Not picking, but wasn't everyone here wondering how Phillips didn't make the All Star roster ??

Minus a very few instances, he has been amazing in the field. Yeah, he's dealt with injuries this year, but that happens.

I'm not blasting for the BP comment, but he just signed a 6 year deal. He's not going anywhere soon, minus a HUGE dropoff.

I think Hamilton may be brought up, but it won't hurt my feelings if he's not.

Let him continue working on his hitting in the minors and see if a position move happens during the offseason.

Much still depends on what happens with Ludwick long term.

Hamilton isn't going anywhere either though.

Not picking, but wasn't everyone here wondering how Phillips didn't make the All Star roster ??

Minus a very few instances, he has been amazing in the field. Yeah, he's dealt with injuries this year, but that happens.

I'm not blasting for the BP comment, but he just signed a 6 year deal. He's not going anywhere soon, minus a HUGE dropoff.

I think Hamilton may be brought up, but it won't hurt my feelings if he's not.

Let him continue working on his hitting in the minors and see if a position move happens during the offseason.

Much still depends on what happens with Ludwick long term.

Hamilton isn't going anywhere either though.

I'm not saying that BP is a bad 2B, just that he is older and he has shown some dropoff recently. He is still very good. I like the idea of getting 2-3 more solid years out of him while Hamilton progresses and than trading BP for whatever need the team has at the time.

In the playoffs a stolen base can mean everything so I can see the reds bringing him up for a pinch runner / DH/PH role near to the end of the season.

I was just coming in to post this.

Sure, but once again you have to wonder who he'll replace. Cairo is valuable since he can play 1st and 3rd quite well. Xavier Paul could go down, but do you want someone on your roster that's a pinch RUNNER or a pinch HITTER?

It's going to be a tough call.

Team chemistry is going to make for a lot of challenging decisions in the future. Jockety admitted that this was a huge reason they didn't make any major moves at the trade deadline. They were intersted in Pierre from the Phillies, but Philly was wanting a trade for Stubbs or Frazier and you know Cincy isn't letting either of those guys go. I could see them moving Stubbs based purely on #s, but they love his upside and he obviously meshes well with the rest of the guys on this team.

Oh well...these are good problems to have! Better here than where the Cubs or Astros are at this point.

In the playoffs a stolen base can mean everything so I can see the reds bringing him up for a pinch runner / DH/PH role near to the end of the season.

Sure, but once again you have to wonder who he'll replace. Cairo is valuable since he can play 1st and 3rd quite well. Xavier Paul could go down, but do you want someone on your roster that's a pinch RUNNER or a pinch HITTER?

Team chemistry is going to make for a lot of challenging decisions in the future. Jockety admitted that this was a huge reason they didn't make any major moves at the trade deadline. They were intersted in Pierre from the Phillies, but Philly was wanting a trade for Stubbs or Frazier and you know Cincy isn't letting either of those guys go. I could see them moving Stubbs based purely on #s, but they love his upside and he obviously meshes well with the rest of the guys on this team.

Oh well...these are good problems to have! Better here than where the Cubs or Astros are at this point.

MLB allows them to expand the roster sometime in September. He needs to get the chance than.

MLB allows them to expand the roster sometime in September. He needs to get the chance than.

Ahhhh, nice. In that case, I'm all on board.

Right, he won't have to replace anyone. I believe the date is September 1st. The minor league seasons are usually over by then, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be brought up.

Right, he won't have to replace anyone. I believe the date is September 1st. The minor league seasons are usually over by then, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be brought up.

You are correct and that's just a little over a week from now. As for long term, CF probably will be his future here in Cincinnati. Stubbs will be getting expensive and he'll be pushing 30 before long.

I should have clarified. Again... Dang...

Anyway, I can certainly see Hamilton coming up when the rosters expand. What I was getting at is come the start of next season. Who does he beat out for a spot ?? They won't consider a position change until after the season, so he's not going to have any experience at something new. I don't see him beating anyone out of their current position unless the Reds decide not to pick up the option on Ludwick.

Should be interesting to watch him when he gets his shot though.

I don't see him beating anyone out in the infield to become a starter, at least not any time soon. If he does get a shot in the outfield, then maybe he has a shot in left depending upon how the Reds go with Luddy. I see him as someone they hope to groom into a utility player who can offer similar services to Wilson Valdez (without being so useless offensively).

I don't see him beating anyone out in the infield to become a starter, at least not any time soon. If he does get a shot in the outfield, then maybe he has a shot in left depending upon how the Reds go with Luddy. I see him as someone they hope to groom into a utility player who can offer similar services to Wilson Valdez (without being so useless offensively).

This makes the most sense to me also. At least for the next couple of years.

The option on Ludwick is a mutual one so he needs to agree to it as well. We'll see. Regardless, Hamilton's not going to play OF in Cincinnati anytime soon. They'll want him to learn it for awhile in the minors first. So even if he goes to Arizona or whatever in the Fall, I don't see him ready to play OF at GABP anytime soon

The option on Ludwick is a mutual one so he needs to agree to it as well. We'll see.

Well, if we are to take Ludwick at his word, he had an interview the other day discussing the mutual option and he stated Cincinnati was the place he wanted to play. He felt the team was doing good things and likes the youth and talent on the roster.

Granted that only goes so far if they aren't willing to agree on a dollar amount and length of contract.

Ludwick wants more than a single year deal, but that will also depend on how long they think it will take Hamilton if they in fact think he can make the move to the outfield.

What's Dusty talking about?

"It's been discussed. It's not my decision," Baker said. "You've got a lot of factors here. Once you put him on the roster, you have to keep him on the roster or somebody can claim him. We've asked about him, big time. There is more factors here than just me wanting him here."

Nobody can claim him. You have an "options" system where we can option him down. You get three options and since the rosters are expanded there'll be no optioning this year. So we may burn one option next year. That'll leave us with one more for 2014 and one for 2015. If he can't stick in the majors by 2016 then he's not worth a darn anyway. As for his arbitration clock, it comes down to service time. One month of Sept sure doesn't translate into a whole year.

I think he's coming up Sept 1st and I don't think it'll be a tough decision