Reds vs Pirates

ArmyBengal

Here we go. The two best teams from the NL Central start up a 3 game series tonight.

The Reds are 4-5 against the Pirates this season and have lost the last two series to them.

People still can't believe the Pirates are right there, but they are 12-7 since the break and playing well.

Latos, Leake, and Bailey take the mound in the series.

The Pirates throw out Rodriguez, McDonald, and Bedard.

I'm happy Latos is on the mound tonight as he seems to understand about the "big game". He was very aware about the streak when he took the mound last and pitched a good game against the rockies. What I hate is the Leake / McDonald matchup. Leake got rocked last time out and McDonald seems to have the Reds number going 2-0 against the Reds this season. Hopefully he can continue with the trend of his last two starts and take another loss.

Overall, I will be happy with 2 out of the 3. I think it will do the Reds very well from a mental standpoint to take the series and getting the win tonight is very important in that

**NOTE** For those not usually able to watch the Reds, Saturdays game is being shown on MLB Network.

GO REDS !!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm concerned about the injuries lingering into and through the series. Hopefully Phillips can play ASAP. McDonald has been getting hit hard in his last few starts, so I'm feeling a bit better about that one that I normally would be.

Another area of concern: Bruce is 2 for 29 against Wandy Rodriguez (tonight's starter) with 15 strikeouts. Ludwick, Rolen, and Stubbs will definitely need to continue hitting the ball well.

This is a big series. The Reds current streak has been against the 4 worst teams in the NL (Houston, Chicago, Colorado, and San Diego). They can overcome the injuries against the bottom feeders... but it'll be much more difficult against a good team.

The only thing the Reds have going for them in this series is that the Pirates have not been a very good road team (they are 27-28 on the road). I would love to see the Reds take 2 of 3 here, but honestly - without Votto and Phillips, I'd settle for 1 of 3.

This is a big series. The Reds current streak has been against the 4 worst teams in the NL (Houston, Chicago, Colorado, and San Diego). They can overcome the injuries against the bottom feeders... but it'll be much more difficult against a good team.

The only thing the Reds have going for them in this series is that the Pirates have not been a very good road team (they are 27-28 on the road). I would love to see the Reds take 2 of 3 here, but honestly - without Votto and Phillips, I'd settle for 1 of 3.

I'd just add that they also swept the Cards and that the Padres have been playing very good ball as of late when they're not playing the Reds. I agree with your bottomline

I'd just add that they also swept the Cards and that the Padres have been playing very good ball as of late when they're not playing the Reds. I agree with your bottomline

You're right.

Although, I guess I was referring more to what they have done since Votto went on the DL (when Votto went out, they lost 2 of 3 to the Diamondbacks, and then went on this tear).

They also swept the Brewers, which is slightly more impressive... but the Pirates are far better than anyone the Reds have faced since Votto went down. Hopefully Cincy can get a couple, because the Pirates are deadly at home (best in MLB), and play 11 straight home games after this series in Cincinnati. The Reds could use some cushion.

They've dropped Bedard from Sunday's game so they could get AJ Burnett in there. He'll start on Sunday

Doesn't really surprise me. Bedard has been terrible and Burnett is coming off a dominating one hit game.

It's also only moving him up a single game, so I call that smart on the Pirates part planning against the Reds.

I get what you are saying there and agree, but I can't give the Pirates anymore credit.

They played not 1, but 2 series against the mighty Cubs (losing one series to them), the Marlins, the Rockies, and Astros along with the Brewers. Not one team sporting a winnning record.

We may have both played crappy teams, but we fared better since the break.

It will be tough, but I think the Reds can handle the Pirates this weekend at home.

I get what you are saying there and agree, but I can't give the Pirates anymore credit.

They played not 1, but 2 series against the mighty Cubs (losing one series to them), the Marlins, the Rockies, and Astros along with the Brewers. Not one team sporting a winnning record.

I agree. I'm not trying to give the Pirates any undeserved credit. They, like the Reds, are winning the majority of the games they are supposed to win. Neither the Reds or the Pirates have faced a difficult schedule since the break.

Cincinnati has been amazing since the all-star break. The best team in baseball, without their best player... but my point is that it's more difficult to overcome injuries against good teams than against bad teams. And the Pirates are by far the best team the Reds have faced since Votto went to the DL. So it will be a challenge.

I don't want to make built in excuses... but the Reds have been bit by the injury bug far worse than the Pirates as of late, so it would not shock me if Cincinnati loses this series. Either way... these are both good teams playing at a high level. I don't expect a sweep in either direction, so I'm hoping for 2 wins out of 3.

Reds win, baby. :flex:

Chapman is simply the best closer in all of baseball, and Latos is a closet power hitter. ^_^ This is how you win tough games and win divisions. The Reds are a plug and play team. One guy gets hurt, the next steps up.

Got to go up to Lima tomorrow. I bet I see alot of RED on the road tomorrow!! Go Reds!! I hope you get to see some of these games Billy and the rest of you.

Got to go up to Lima tomorrow. I bet I see alot of RED on the road tomorrow!! Go Reds!! I hope you get to see some of these games Billy and the rest of you.

Nothing televised out here in Arizona unless ESPN will throw me another Sunday night game.

The Reds also have one of the best defensive teams in the league and it showed last night.

The game tonight is going to a stressful one with the Pirates certainly looking to plunk someone due to hitting McCoochie.

What surprises me more is watching sports people totally leave the Reds out of conversations.

The Reds aren't even the best team in the NL, the dude from Atlanta is a better closer than Chapman, they can't hit, so on and so on.

It really is just stupid to listen to.

The Reds managed to beat the Pirates last night without Votto, Phillips, and Bruce.

Yeah, they suck...