Will the Reds Make Any Moves ??

ArmyBengal

Reading rumors today... apparently the Reds have stopped talking to the Phillies about Victorino or Pierre.

They however are in talks with the Cubs about Matt Garza, and asked the Red Sox about Jacoby Ellsbury. That's right my friends. Go big, or go home.

On a far less interesting note... the Reds are also talking to the Diamondbacks to get Lyle Overbay. Not sure why.

Looks like they gave up a AA pitcher Sulbaran, a 30th rd pick in 2008. I'm OK with that but a RH reliever was not high on my wishlist. I really liked Big Brox before the shoulder problems. I don't know where he stands now in his recovery

Well, if they are going to take this thing into the playoffs, I would rather see them go into it knowing they have great depth in the bullpen.

I know people have said it's one of our biggest strength, but I think that is a bit inflated from an overall stat standpoint due to Chapman.

I'm not a fan of LeCure, Bray, or Simon for that matter, so I will take this trade.

Broxton will be a free agent after this season, but the Reds have Madsen coming back from injury next season as well, so that will be interesting.

I'm kind of glad they didn't go full retard in trying to shake things up, because I think some of their youth will pan out nicely.

I want to see Xavier Paul get some more opportunities and see Hamilton brought up once the roster expands.

Broxton has had a comeback year this year. He's not the 2009 version of himself (the guy with a less than 1.00 WHIP)... but he's throwing 95 MPH again. I'm also reading that he's forcing hitters into more groundballs than he ever has (great news for GABP)... which accounts for his career best ERA.

I'll take it. He's a reliable closer on a day that Chapman needs a day off. As a set-up man, he'll be well above average. Between Marshall, Broxton, and Chapman, if the Reds have a lead going into the 7th, they'll be able to slam the door closed more often than not.

I know the deadline has passed, but can't they still manage to pull deals off anyway?

This is what Jocketty said about it:

"We had several deals for position players we looked at, and in the end, we just felt we liked what we had and the deals didn't make sense for us," general manager Walt Jocketty said. "So we decided to focus on pitching."

"We said, at the beginning, we were going to try to look for a leadoff hitter, cleanup hitter, bench help or strengthen our pitching, and the position player deals just weren't right for us. We felt good about adding an arm like Broxton. We're still going to look at things in August, deals that can be made."

/>http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8219387/cincinnati-reds-acquire-reliever-jonathan-broxton-kansas-city-royals

Only players who clear waivers can be traded. Span will not clear waivers. His contract is too reasonable.

I disagree with you. He's owed another $20mill after this year which is why I don't see the Reds going after him. They can't tie themselves to that sort of commitment

Only players who clear waivers can be traded. Span will not clear waivers. His contract is too reasonable.

I disagree with you. He's owed another $20mill after this year which is why I don't see the Reds going after him. They can't tie themselves to that sort of commitment

Span is only earning $3M this year.

He is owed $4.75M in '13 and $6.5M in '14.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't add up to 20M... but I wasn't a math major.

Span is only earning $3M this year.

He is owed $4.75M in '13 and $6.5M in '14.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't add up to 20M... but I wasn't a math major.

I now see that his '15 salary of $9mill is not guaranteed. It's a club option. Thanks for the correction... :cheers: