Will the Reds Make Any Moves ??

ArmyBengal

With the trade deadline approaching the coming Tuesday, do you see the Reds making any moves ??

When I was watching the game the other night, the announcers made a comment about how it was reported that the Reds turned down a deal with the Phillies to deal Ondrusek for CF Victorino. I couldn't find where that was mentioned, but I just remembered them mentioning it.

Victorino is not what he used to be. He doesn't offer a significant upgrade over the Stubbs/Heisey platoon.

Honestly I would prefer the Reds get a clean-up hitter and move Brandon Phillips to the leadoff spot. But with Carlos Quinton signing a new contract in San Diego, that seems unlikely.

I wouldn't mind the Reds going after a true upgrade like Denard Span or even Juan Pierre... but Victorino doesn't feel like a significant upgrade.

Honestly, I expect the Reds to stand pat.

Victorino would be a slight upgrade I think, but not enough of one to warrant trading away prospects for. Pierre would be a nice pickup and Span would be fantastic.

Can't give up Cingrani though. I want him in Arroyo's spot once he is completely over the hill.

Here's something I found:
/>http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/reds-interested-in-denard-span.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+MlbTradeRumors+%2528MLB+Trade+Rumors%2529

very interesting...

<_<

Jayson Stark reports that:

Walt Jocketty "feels a need to do something" and has asked around for a middle-of-the-order hitter.

Not sure who the Reds might be looking at... but that goes along with my desire. Brandon Phillips has said that he prefers batting leadoff. He hit .350 with a .417 on-base over 38 games in the leadoff spot last year, and is a better at that role than Pierre, Span, or Victorino. And it should be reasonably easy to replace his 12 HRs and 58 RBI from the clean-up spot.

Not sure how people would feel about it... but Jayson Stark is also reporting that:

The Cubs are offering to absorb all but $2MM of Alfonso Soriano’s contract, Stark writes. The left fielder earns $18MM per season through 2014 and the Cubs might take it all on for the right prospect.

He has hit 19 HRs with absolutely no protection in the Cubs lineup. Sandwich him between Votto and Bruce, and move Phillips to the leadoff spot, and the Reds offense would be a lot more dangerous.

I know he strikes out a lot, and can't play defense... but it would certainly be an exciting move.

Jayson Stark reports that:

Walt Jocketty "feels a need to do something" and has asked around for a middle-of-the-order hitter.

Not sure who the Reds might be looking at... but that goes along with my desire. Brandon Phillips has said that he prefers batting leadoff. He hit .350 with a .417 on-base over 38 games in the leadoff spot last year, and is a better at that role than Pierre, Span, or Victorino. And it should be reasonably easy to replace his 12 HRs and 58 RBI from the clean-up spot.

Not sure how people would feel about it... but Jayson Stark is also reporting that:

The Cubs are offering to absorb all but $2MM of Alfonso Soriano’s contract, Stark writes. The left fielder earns $18MM per season through 2014 and the Cubs might take it all on for the right prospect.

He has hit 19 HRs with absolutely no protection in the Cubs lineup. Sandwich him between Votto and Bruce, and move Phillips to the leadoff spot, and the Reds offense would be a lot more dangerous.

I know he strikes out a lot, and can't play defense... but it would certainly be an exciting move.

Sounds like Adam Dunn with less production. I can't say that I've missed the guy...

Sounds like Adam Dunn with less production. I can't say that I've missed the guy...

Not exactly. Adam Dunn strikes out 70+ more times/year and has a batting average 60+ points lower.

I get your point, but the Reds could use an upgrade in the clean-up spot... and Phillips belongs in the leadoff spot.

Well there will be some strange trades that gonna shock a lot of people B4 tuesday. Mark Reynolds to the Reds??? I hear they are shopping him around. And he hit for power in the N.L

I'd much rather them pick up a guy like Span that can get on base in front of Votto.

Ditto for me.

The asking price for Span is too high for a player that is just ok.

Besides, he doesn't improve the Reds as much as a middle of the lineup hitter would. Landing a decent clean-up hitter would be like two upgrades for the price of one (moving Phillips to the leadoff spot, and improving over Phillips as a clean-up hitter).

The only real question is who is available - and what the asking price is. I only brought up Soriano because I know he's available, and he's having a pretty good season. There might be other available players out there that I don't know about.

I'd much rather them pick up a guy like Span that can get on base in front of Votto.

Ditto for me.

The asking price for Span is too high for a player that is just ok.

Besides, he doesn't improve the Reds as much as a middle of the lineup hitter would. Landing a decent clean-up hitter would be like two upgrades for the price of one (moving Phillips to the leadoff spot, and improving over Phillips as a clean-up hitter).

The only real question is who is available - and what the asking price is. I only brought up Soriano because I know he's available, and he's having a pretty good season. There might be other available players out there that I don't know about.

I completely disagree, there are enough big bats in the lineup. What is needed is a high OBP guy that can get on for the meat of the lineup. If Span is to costly go find someone else to lead-off, Phillips is not the guy for that spot. He is perfect for #2 ahead of Votto and Bruce. You wont find a better lineup, with more consistent power on many teams in MLB. If they can just find a leadoff hitter(preferably a switch hitter or lefty), maybe they can hit less solo HR's.

Crap I'd be happier with a good lefty batter for a bench player, than I would be with another streaky power hitter.

We have loads of young talented SP's, only Arroyo is nearing the end of his playing time. I'd be happy to get the piece to put the team over the top this season for any SP prospect in the minors.

What is needed is a high OBP guy that can get on for the meat of the lineup. If Span is to costly go find someone else to lead-off, Phillips is not the guy for that spot. He is perfect for #2 ahead of Votto and Bruce.

Well that's not going to happen. First of all, Votto and Bruce both bat left handed... so Bruce is better in the 5 spot.

Phillips is never going to bat in the #2 spot unless they find an improvement over him as a clean-up hitter... AND a better leadoff hitter. And Phillips is a great lead-off hitter. Better than Span, Pierre, or Victorino. More importantly... that's the role he prefers. He wants to bat leadoff

Yeah, why do we need a cleanup hitter, exactly? We have enough power in the lineup.

Phillips is the clean-up hitter... but that's not where he fits best. The Reds are wasting his best attributes in that spot. Just because he does the job well enough doesn't mean you couldn't get a significant upgrade - meanwhile batting him where he belongs.

Apparently Walt Jocketty agrees with me (or probably more properly, I agree with him).

The Reds rank 14th in HRs and 18th in RBI. Hardly setting the world on fire. They are winning with pitching. They could use another big bat in the lineup.

What is needed is a high OBP guy that can get on for the meat of the lineup. If Span is to costly go find someone else to lead-off, Phillips is not the guy for that spot. He is perfect for #2 ahead of Votto and Bruce.

Well that's not going to happen. First of all, Votto and Bruce both bat left handed... so Bruce is better in the 5 spot.

Phillips is never going to bat in the #2 spot unless they find an improvement over him as a clean-up hitter... AND a better leadoff hitter. And Phillips is a great lead-off hitter. Better than Span, Pierre, or Victorino. More importantly... that's the role he prefers. He wants to bat leadoff

Well IMO they need a left handed/switch hitting leadoff man, this allows them to bat Votto and Bruce together deeper in the lineup, because they are not the only players capable of hitting from the left side. Putting Bruce at the 6th spot and moving an inferior hitter up to fifth just because they bat Right handed is surely what Baker will do though. Funny how batting right handers back to back is not worried about, but putting 2 lefties together in the order is forbidden.

Bruce is the cleanup bat on this team and Philips is a #2 hitter.

Yeah, why do we need a cleanup hitter, exactly? We have enough power in the lineup.

Phillips is the clean-up hitter... but that's not where he fits best. The Reds are wasting his best attributes in that spot. Just because he does the job well enough doesn't mean you couldn't get a significant upgrade - meanwhile batting him where he belongs.

Apparently Walt Jocketty agrees with me (or probably more properly, I agree with him).

The Reds rank 14th in HRs and 18th in RBI. Hardly setting the world on fire. They are winning with pitching. They could use another big bat in the lineup.

Phillips does fine where he is. He's reliable with guys in scoring position. I'd rather have a near .300 hitter in the 4th spot than a guy that strikes out more often than not. I'd prefer him at #2, but there are bigger problems here...

I really couldn't care less about HR #s. I would like to see the RBI #s go up, but again...that's more about putting people on base than it is about hitting HRs. Vottos RBI totals are so low because he's always hitting with the bases clear. Fix that and good things will happen. I forget the exact stat, but they were recently talking about # of at bats with runners in scoring position and mentioned that Votto had among the fewest in the league. When you have a guy that's hitting ridiculously well with guys in scoring position, this is a major problem.

Phillips would be my preferred leadoff hitter if we don't bring in anyone else. Ludwick and Frazier are both capable of hitting cleanup if Dusty wants to continue insisting on keeping the lefties separated. I wouldn't oppose the addition of another cleanup candidate, but I don't think it's a huge necessity either.

Best case scenario IMO would be to bring in an OBP guy to hit leadoff or second alongside Phillips and then move one of those two power righties into the cleanup spot. Bruce would make more sense because I think the consecutive lefty thing is total crap, but I know it won't be changing.

I think the offense stands to gain the most if Votto has more people on base when he is at the plate.

There was an article in todays paper that suggested if the Reds saw Hamilton getting called up next year, they probably wouldn't make any move at all. I really hope they call him up once the rosters expand to get some time. If nothing else, a pinch running role !!!

I just stuck this here because I didn't want another thread of similar speak.

This is an article from ESPN, wondering of the Reds are the best team in the NL.

There's something beautiful when a baseball team goes on a long winning streak. The nature of the sport is that it's immensely difficult to win 10 games in a row like the Cincinnati Reds. One great game by an opposing starter; three bad pitches by a relief pitcher; one crucial double play not turned or blooper that falls. It doesn't take much to end a streak.

The only other team to win 10 in a row this season was the New York Yankees. Last season, only the Texas Rangers and Detroit Tigers had streaks of 10-plus wins a row. The Reds stretched their streak to double digits with a 7-2 win over the Colorado Rockies on Sunday as Drew Stubbs and Jay Bruce homered in the fifth inning to break the game open.

"A lot of pressure coming into the game knowing we won nine in a row, but I just attacked them," winning pitcher Mat Latos said. "Today it was in the back of my mind, but it's baseball. Just play."

In honor of 10 straight, here are 10 random thoughts about The Big Red Hot Machine.

The rest can be found here:
/>http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/27447/are-the-reds-the-best-in-the-nl