JJoe says Bengals are Cheap

ArmyBengal

Here's most...

According to Joseph, Texans owner Bob McNair cares about the players’ families and is willing to provide whatever is needed to make the players comfortable, while Bengals owner Mike Brown nickel-and-dimes them about everything from sports drinks to road trips.

“The first thing about Houston is it’s an organization run from a different perspective,” Joseph told HeraldOnline.com. “In Cincy, the team lives off money it earns from football. Houston’s owner has other business interests and he controls the money. Numerous things that go on such as the way Houston interacts with my family; we’re treated in a first-class way. They helped us when my wife lost our baby daughter in a miscarriage. But they help with anything you ask of them because they are a very caring organization with positive attitudes about its players. In Cincy, we’re told how much Gatorade we could take home. In Houston we get what we request. You get soap and deodorant at your request. You don’t have a roommate on road trips.”

Joseph is far from the first player to complain about the Bengals’ spendthrift ways, but he puts it in particularly stark terms: Sometimes there’s more to how happy an owner can make a player than how big a paycheck the owner will sign. Sometimes it’s about showing consideration for a player’s family, or not making an issue of it if the player says he’ll sleep better on the road if he has his own room. That’s what Joseph says he’s getting in Houston, and what he says he didn’t get in Cincinnati.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/15/johnathan-joseph-bengals-are-cheap-texans-are-not/

A player making millions and complaining about dimes. Really? <_<

Nothing we haven't heard before (box lunches at training camp, TJ and the pop machine in Seattle, etc.). On the one hand, it's stupid for exactly the point you make. The players come off as entitled a**holes.

OTOH, when every other team gives their players free soda and unlimited Gatorade, there's no escaping the "cheap" label.

It just comes across as a huge dick move on JJoe's part.

I mean he's a multi-millionaire right ??

Well, i'm not, but not even I complain about the price of soap, deodorant, and f*cking Gatorade.

Was there something special in the Bengals Gatorade that had multi-millionaires needing to horde it for their own and stock the shelves at their house with it and the Bengals had to place restrictions on this magic potion ?? Why bitch about something that costs so little ?? I suppose you could just as easily say it is something cheap for the organization to buy, but really, this is your gripe in life ??

I really need to live that lifestyle for just a single day.

I think my gripe would be how I really like pepperoni pizza rolls the best, but only get the plain cheese sh*t...

F*CKING OUTRAGE !!!

I don't understand how you can blame JJoe. Having been in management for years, I have found that the little things are what distinguish the worker's opinion of you from the rest. The salary is a given and taken for granted. The little extras really impact the opinions of the workers regarding management. Mikee boy is CHEAP....or as they said in movie "Pink Panther"...he is "frugal". We know that. So why are you upset at JJoe when he points out the obvious. Mikee will pay decent salaries (not over pay), but he will pinch every penny. That means that the players will get paid, but he does not go out of his way to provide the little extras. In fact, from everything I have seen Mikee is ridiculously "frugal" with little things from towels to Gatorade. I think we are getting desperate when we start talking about how "frugal" Mikee is and blame the guy who points out the obvious. COME ON SEASON LETS GET STARTED!!! We need something important to talk about. :cheers:

Oh don't get me wrong, i'll be the first to say how "I" think Mike Brown is cheap and have on many occasions.

What I take issue with is JJoe left the team for another, had a pro-bowl season with the Texans, and moved on with his career with little to no issue and then what does he do almost two years later you ask ?? Trash his former team about how cheap they are because they didn't give into his demands for soap, deodorant, and gatorade. All that combined won't cost that multi-millionaire $15.00.

Regardless of how I feel, I will go ahead and stick with my opinion on JJoe's comments........

DICK MOVE !!!

Having said that, let me borrow a phrase from Army...

F**K YOU, JJOE!!!

THIS...

Thanks Hoosier !!

OK, so these guys make some good money!! Complaining about sharing a room on the road, getting free toiletries and drinks is really small. The thing that got me is the building a team part. As a commander, I wasn’t the expert with practicing medicine or firing a weapon, or recruiting, etc. But what I did do was build a cohesive team by caring for my Soldiers and their families! We upheld high standards, gave praise when it was warrant, provided remedial training when needed, and counseled on a regular basis. The Soldiers knew that they could come to the leadership with any issues; personal, professional, dealing with families, etc. As leaders we showed the Soldiers that we appreciated their sacrifice, and cared about their families. In return, those Soldiers executed every mission to perfection! If you show your staff that you care about them, they’ll do just about anything for you.

Years back, I believe that Eric Davis (Cincinnati Reds) got hurt on the road during a game and was hospitalized. Ol Marge refused to pay for him to fly back to Cincinnati after he was released from the hospital. That showed him that the organization really didn’t care about him!!

I can’t say how MB feels about or treats his staff, coaches and players. But if the organization showed each player that they were an important part of the team, that they cared about their welfare and families, the players might play harder for us. Go that extra mile! Then again, not everybody has that strong work ethic! How much money are we paying Smith and how many times has he shown up over weight and out of shape?

The most telling line there is when JJoe explains that in Houston they dont make the money off of football and in Cincy they do. It is the Brown families money maker, for most other owners it is an expensive hobby. I for one would much rather be a fan of a team that has this mindset than one that is willing to baby millionaires, so they dont complain about how much it costs them to buy gatorade.

Would going the extra mile help ?? Sure it would, but then again, we aren't talking about making sure people get time off, financial assistance, the ability to progress, or anything of that nature. JJoe is talking about personal hygiene products and Gatorade.

He goes on to say that Houston helped him when his wife had a miscarriage and to that I seriously say, good for them. It's nice to know him and his wife are doing well after going through such a difficulty. However, are we to equate him not getting a bar of safeguard and some old spice to someone not caring about a family member losing a baby ?? Sorry, but that seems quite the stretch for me.

The difference for me in the Soldier comparison (One which I can greatly identity with and agree) is that Soldiers don't make sh*t. For as little as I made through my 20's in the Army, I never had a problem being able to purchase some deodorant or anything else of need from the commissary.

I don't like Mike Brown as the owner of our team and he probably is a cheap ass, but if JJoe was going to call out the team, I wish he would have had the balls to do it when he was with the organization and at the very worst, list the cheapness as an example on his way out the door. Not almost 2 years later. What's the point, outside of just being a dick ??

Is he trying to say that he knows for certain that the Bengals organization would not have been supportive after his wife had a miscarriage? If so, I seriously doubt his cognitive ability. Any organization is going to give time off and emotional support for a member of it's workforce when such an event takes place.

wow, it must be a slow news day.

Water is wet, grass is green, and SoP is as cheap as the day is long.

Now, if JJoe would have raised an issue that truly affects the players, like the previously lacking medical staff or the lack of player personnel staff, then I'd be fine with the article. Gatorade and deodorant... child please.

on another note, I played my son in Madden 06 last night and Tab Perry went out of the game on the second play... Then, later wathcing Hard Knocks featuring the Bengals, I noticed a background item in Bratkoski's office that made me laugh. He had a novetly sign with tropical leighs that read "It's 5 o'clock somehwere..." So true, Bob. So true.

Loved joseph but could careless for him now.I understand mike.brown is cheap and its more appealing to have a team who is willing spend more money for nice meals at training camp vs serving your team tattertots and chickenstrips..but really your bitching about getting free soap and gatorade? I wouldnt want to hear a practice squad guy about exspecting free soap but a multi millionare really? Really?

In his chat with the Enquirer Marvin said that the lack of availability of free things in the lockeroom is his policy not the Bengals. Interesting no?

Interesting? Sure.

Although the lack of free things in the locker room predates Marvin by about 37 years.

But yes, it is interesting.

Ok, for starters about the Bengals being cheap, old news, we know, lets move on.

Now as for the rest, I just wont get upset about Joseph saying this without a little context. If he personally called someone up just to tell them this, then fine F you Joseph. But if he was just talking to a reporter and they asked "what kind of differences are there between the Bengals and the Texans?" or something along those lines, Then I not only wont blame him for answering honestly I would encourage it. If you ask me about any of my past jobs I will answer you about them, its not bashing them, its just giving an honest opinion. That doesnt make me spoiled, whiny, and I am surely not rich. Im just not going to lie to protect employers who shouldnt need me to protect them.

And finally, Joseph went to Houston on July 28th of last year, so almost one year, not 2. Not relevant to the conversation, just pointing out.

Cool, one year. My bad.

There's giving an honest opinion and then there's going to far with it.

If he wants to complain about how they didn't support him during a time like he went through in Houston with the miscarriage, fine. That's not what he's saying. He said he didn't get soap , deodorant, and Gatorade. That's just stupid beyond words for a multi-millionaire to complain about something that doesn't cost $15 bucks combined. There's just no reason to do that. It comes across as unprofessional and ignorant.

Just give a simple professional answer and move the f*ck on from a place you don't even work at anymore.

It's like going to a job interview and when asked about your former boss, you call then a cheapass.

Good luck in getting that position. There's just no need.

Cool, one year. My bad.

There's giving an honest opinion and then there's going to far with it.

If he wants to complain about how they didn't support him during a time like he went through in Houston with the miscarriage, fine. That's not what he's saying. He said he didn't get soap , deodorant, and Gatorade. That's just stupid beyond words for a multi-millionaire to complain about something that doesn't cost $15 bucks combined. There's just no reason to do that. It comes across as unprofessional and ignorant.

Just give a simple professional answer and move the f*ck on from a place you don't even work at anymore.

It's like going to a job interview and when asked about your former boss, you call then a cheapass.

Good luck in getting that position. There's just no need.

A. he already has the job, and not likely to lose it.

B. he is not a polished PR professional, so bad on the Texans for not chaperoning one of their less savvy players.

C. jjoe needs to let it drop and focus on his game, if I were his position coach I'd be up in his grill about wating time with journalists.

oh, and also, F jjoe.

I may be alone here, but I don't have any problem with JJoe's comments. Is he being petty, and a spoiled brat? YES, BUT ALL ATHLETES ARE !!! We all know this. They get free sh*t everywhere they go.

Obviously, gatorade, a bar of soap and deodorant seem small and petty to us, but if those "small" things make a player happy, and in turn more dedicated to the team, it's a small price to pay from the ownership.

In the case of athletes, I don't think it's so much the cost of these small items, but more the hassle of having to go out to a store like you and me and buy this sh*t themselves.

Damn near every team provides this stuff and more to their players, but not the Bengals. It's not like the Bengals pay retail price for Gatorade anyways. I'm sure the team gets free stuff and heavily discounted stuff from sponsors, endorsers, etc. Pass that stuff off to the players.....But then again, Mikey's still trying to make back that Antonio Bryant money.......

Oh, I get your point Pimp. I also believe Mike Brown to be a cheapass, even though Marvin says this is his thing.

For me, I think JJoe is being petty and the timing of his comments is poor.

Like I said before, have the balls to call that sh*t out in public when you are with the organization.

At a minimum, make your feelings known as you are walking out the door to give reason for leaving a team that thought for sure they had you back in the mix. THAT would have been the time to make those comments.

To do it a year later comes off as a dick move. There's just no reason.