Reds vs Padres

ArmyBengal

Here's the last series before the break. A 4 game series against the Padres.

They start off facing another old Reds pitcher in Volquez. Hoping they do better than they did against Harang.

Latos starts things off tonight against his former club as well and I hope he continues his recent winning.

The rest of the series starts Arroyo, Bailey, and Cueto.

The Padres are sitting on a 5 game winning streak, but have played poorly overall.

The Pirates have one more against the Astros and then finish up the 1st half with 3 against the Giants.

If the Reds get back on track, I could still see them sitting in first at the break.

GO REDS !!!

We didn't have any hold on first place heading into last night's game and the loss now finds the Reds 2 games back.

Can someone please tell me why Dusty thought it was best to pull Latos after 7 shutout innings and playing against his former team ?? I don't care what his pitch count was, he was feeling it last night and I think should have been given the chance to stay on the mound.

This game really pissed me off.

It doesn't matter, Army. When you only score 1 run, you deserve to lose.

It'll be fine, gents. They're slumping, which happens to every team. It's unfortunate that it just so happens to coincide with a hot streak by the Pirates, but such is life.

Right I get they need to score more runs, but that decision isn't any less questionable due to that situation.

Playing the what if game, if Latos stays in and finishes it out the same way, the Reds win 1-0.

I by no means think the sky is falling, but I simply hated that game last night.

I also am not one that usually bashes Dusty, but I thought that decision was poor.

They need to be beating the teams they are supposed to beat.

There has been no clutch hitting at all lately.

It doesn't matter, Army. When you only score 1 run, you deserve to lose.

It'll be fine, gents. They're slumping, which happens to every team. It's unfortunate that it just so happens to coincide with a hot streak by the Pirates, but such is life.

There has been no clutch hitting at all lately.

No kidding. After the first 2 or 3 innings last night, they had guys on 1st and 3rd with 1 out. Double plays both times. *sigh*

My biggest complaint about Dusty is that I feel he leaves his starters in too long, so I don't have a problem with pulling Latos last night. Especially considering he's coming off back to back complete games. We need to make sure he's healthy for the long haul this year.

My biggest complaint about Dusty is that I feel he leaves his starters in too long, so I don't have a problem with pulling Latos last night.

I think Dusty is a bit wary of going to his bullpen. Last night may have shown why.

Good win, great performance by Bronson. Gained a game on the Cards and got within 1 of the Pirates.

I still hate this lineup. We're wasting the best offensive player in the world by sticking two guys with sub-.300 on-base percentages in front of him.

Well they gained a game back on Pirates ( wow that just sounds weird) but anyway great pitching tonight. Damn my Birds even one at LA. Overall a good nite.

I still can't understand how either Frazier or Bruce aren't hitting in front of Bruce.

Would it really be that difficult to put Frazier in the 2 hole ??

I like Cozart, but maybe a move in the lineup would help.

Stubbs ?? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Glad to see him get a hit in his last 40 or so at bats though.

Oh yeah, glad we won since the Pirates did...

Double oh yeah, good game by Bailey.

I'm happy for him !!!

get the guys hitting in front of Votto to be more consistent.

That is priority number one coming out of the break, I think. To have two players who struggle to get on base as much as Cozart and Stubbs hitting right in front of our MVP candidate is frankly pie-eyed stupid. Baker is obsessed with near-meaningless things like speed and bunting, but the Reds would be well served to try either Frazier or Bruce in the #2 hole (which would enable them to keep Cozart at leadoff). Heisey would be an improvement too, but he has a terrible batting eye. Ludwick is capable of doing offensive damage for the bottom half of the order, alongside Heisey, Stubbs, and the catchers.

Whatever they do, it needs to happen soon. The current lineup is ridiculous.

Good win. Chapman looked good last two outings. Wow this guy has it!! And we start hitting and the break comes!!! Good for my O's and the Reds need it to.

Switching Stubbs with Frazier would be my ideal. As much as I have liked Rolen coming to the Reds, his time as a starter should be over come the second half of the season. Frazier is the future at 3rd and they would be well served to let him get as many at bats as possible over the 2nd half of the season. If they want to let Rolen pinch hit or give a night off to Frazier then fine, but no more starting unless necessary.

Please someone, anyone work with Stubbs. Cozart I can deal with leading off, even though I think he needs to improve, I can deal with what we get from him at this point and is a good defensive infielder as well. Can someone please tell me why after so many seasons is left field such a d*mn question mark ??