Do We Need a Vet WR or Not ??

ArmyBengal

Sanu and Shipley are the next closest things to locks in my opinion and I don't think Shipley gets PUP'd.

Per Hobs today, it looks like Shipley will start the season on PUP, which sucks.

This does take me a bit by surprise. He's had 10 months to recover... and we haven't heard much about him being behind schedule in his recovery.

So here's my theory: This is roster management. The Bengals have a bunch of WRs... and they want as many options as possible. I'd bet Shipley could play if they really needed him... but he's probably not fully 100% - and the Bengals have other guys who can play the slot (namely Sanu, Hawkins, and Whalen).

So why not buy some more time (6 extra weeks) to decide who stays and who gets cut? When Shipley comes back in 6 weeks they'll have more information as to who to cut and who to keep. Besides, injuries do happen. If someone gets hurt before Shipley gets back, they won't have to cut anyone.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanu and Shipley are the next closest things to locks in my opinion and I don't think Shipley gets PUP'd.

Per Hobs today, it looks like Shipley will start the season on PUP, which sucks.

I saw where it said that he could, but nowhere did it say he was going to start it on pup? Did I miss the article? Which pup though would it be the active one! He was practicing earlier in the year.

Which pup though would it be the active one! He was practicing earlier in the year.

Everyone on the PUP at this point of is on the active PUP, so you're right that this doesn't necessarily mean that he will be reserved until week 6.

On the other hand, they wouldn't have put him on the active PUP if there wasn't at least some chance of reserving him (they made this mistake of not placing Antonio Bryant on the PUP and regretted it).

Him practicing earlier in OTAs has nothing to do with this. Training Camp is when the first real decision needs to be made... and the decision that was made was to place Shipley on the PUP list. So there is a very real chance that he will be on the reserve PUP list when the season starts - but I would agree that this is doubtful - and probably not worth worrying about too much.

Seeing as how they drafted him and how upset they were when he left, it really doesn't surprise me.

On the flip side, considering the way he left, I say forget him.

What's more f*cking surprising is that Antonio Bryant just signed on with the Seahawks to the tune of 4 years, 28 million.

Yes, THAT Antonio Bryant, who the Bengals gave a buttload of money to for not even a single snap.

Wonder how T.O. is feeling hearing THAT bit of news ??

Seeing as how they drafted him and how upset they were when he left, it really doesn't surprise me.

What's more f*cking surprising is that Antonio Bryant just signed on with the Seahawks to the tune of 4 years, 28 million.

Yes, THAT Antonio Bryant, who the Bengals gave a buttload of money to for not even a single snap.

Bryant signed for THAT much? WOW.

I am a very mad person if I am Mike Wallace. Sign the 2.7 million tender and inject some cancer Mike.

What did Dez do on his way out? I dont remember anything, other than he had a decent year in TB. Decent compared to the crippled old vets that the Bengals kept over him.

Reading some training camp notes today, nobody besides AJ is really standing out. I guess a bunch of droped passes things like that, and sounds like Tate might have hurt himself somehow. Well least it is still early, im just hoping these guys pan out, i would hate to have a year of the WR drops again, we have seen enough of that. Im thinking Marvin Jones might be the guy to watch!

Reading some training camp notes today, nobody besides AJ is really standing out. I guess a bunch of droped passes things like that, and sounds like Tate might have hurt himself somehow. Well least it is still early, im just hoping these guys pan out, i would hate to have a year of the WR drops again, we have seen enough of that. Im thinking Marvin Jones might be the guy to watch!

From the small sample of what was on the vids at the Bengals site.

Sanu is running crisp routes and catching balls with his hands

Tate was open twice, but bad throws made it impossible to make the catch

Hilton looks like a solid PS guy as backup to Shipley/Hawkins/Whalen

Rogers, Jones, Binns and Hazelton look average at best

To me it looks like Sanu has had the best start to camp, with a long way to go.

I did like that Newman and Ghee both looked good in the DB drills. They both have a good first step and looked to be very fluid on the breaks/turns.

I know what Reedy likes to talk about between Binns and Tate, but I think once camps get rolling a bit and the preseason starts, Sanu is goingto come on pretty strong. He was one of the best route runners in the draft this year, has sure hands, knows how to find the holes in a defense, is willing to go over the middle, and isn't exactly slow.

I said it early and will stick with it regardless of the talk and say Sanu comes on the further things go.

Brennan Warner has a good camp write up at CJ. Here's the part on WRs.

An interesting situation happened with the wideouts today. As you may have heard, Brandon Tate was "limited" today in practice, and Armon Binns got some work with the first team in his place. Well, the team ran through three different 11-on-11 sessions today. Tate was on first team with A.J. Green during the first set. In the second and third sets, he didn't appear at all. He was just standing there, behind the other players, not looking ready to go. I never saw a trainer look at him or anything, nor did I see Tate get injured. After practice, Tate reportedly said he was going to "get checked by the trainers".

At the time, I had no idea that Tate was injured, and I even got his autograph after practice. I wished him good luck this year, to which he replied, "Sorry about today man...", then he mumbled something about (possibly?) his hand. So, if his hand is somehow hurt, then there's your inside scoop. If not, don't hate me. No one knows what the injury is, as of this posting, but we should find out sometime Sunday.

Armon Binns filled in for Tate for a handful of snaps, then Ryan Whalen and Mohamed Sanu received additional snaps as well in the second and third 11-on-11 sets. Binns and Whalen generally were on the outside. Sanu mostly worked the middle, and made some tough catches in traffic. Whalen runs brilliant routes. Jay Gruden raved about his route running, consistency, and sure hands the other day. I believe it. His physical potential is far surpassed by that of a guy like, say, Marvin Jones. But the organization clearly trusts Whalen, since he's getting second and first team reps at outside receiver.

Andrew Hawkins was breaking ankles and taking names today. He turned around Leon Hall and Taylor Mays on consecutive snaps in drills. For intermediate and short routes, no one can keep up with the agility of Hawkins. With Jordan Shipley still sidelined, Hawkins has been the team's first string slot receiver.

Vidal Hazelton, Kashif Moore, Justin Hilton, and Taveon Rogers are all doing well so far. All undrafted, they are generally considered the longshots to make the team, but they honestly haven't made many mistakes in drills. Moore was rotated in as a slot receiver and Hilton has been holding his own on the outside.

The whole thing is worth a read.

I am a very mad person if I am Mike Wallace. Sign the 2.7 million tender and inject some cancer Mike.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. (Are you sure about that Army?)

Bryant signed with the Bengals two yrs ago for 4 yrs $28mill but from what I've read, the Seahawks have only signed him on a tryout basis. I've seen nothing that resembles a 4yr/$28mill deal. If anyone has found that in print please post it. Until that happens I'm going to assume that the Bengals contract was mistaken for the Seahawks. No way a guy out of football for two yrs gets that kind of jack

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. (Are you sure about that Army?)

Bryant signed with the Bengals two yrs ago for 4 yrs $28mill but from what I've read, the Seahawks have only signed him on a tryout basis. I've seen nothing that resembles a 4yr/$28mill deal. If anyone has found that in print please post it. Until that happens I'm going to assume that the Bengals contract was mistaken for the Seahawks. No way a guy out of football for two yrs gets that kind of jack

Yea I heard it was only for 1 year?

Well, that was quick:

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/05/seahawks-release-antonio-bryant/

I wish him well in his future job of selling used cars.

He pocketed $8mill from Mike Brown. He should be doing OK