The One That Got Away

I always thought Smith was a good player here and I liked him, but he wasn't the player here that he is in San Fran.

I think a lot of that is scheme and him just getting a chance to go somewhere else.

Change of scenery is a great thing for some.

#2 in the NFL ??

No, I don't buy that either, but he has played great for the 49er's.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/950337/smith2.gif

He was good here... but if he played like that, the Bengals would have never let him go.

On the other hand... when you look at his stat line, he has the same production in Cincy as he does now... but as a 3-4 DE, it's much more impressive. And he opens a lot up for the likes of Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks.

When you think about it, perhaps Geathers big pay day had a lot more to do with Justin Smith than it did Geathers.

he underwhelmed me when we played SF. does that mean Whitworth is #1 player in the NFL?

Whit's on the list in the 80s. PFF says he likely would have ranked better but was hampered by injury.

The only other Bengal on the list is Geno, who is ranked 19. That makers him, according to PFF's ranking, the No. 1 DT in the NFL. :sure: