Our Roster!!

Here is what we are looking at right now. Those that I put in (….) are who I think will be gone or on the practice roster come week 1. I wouldn't want to be a coach this season trying to determine who to keep and who to cut!!

OFFENSE (25 usually kept/35 currently on roster)

QB (2/3): 14 Andy Dalton, 7 Bruce Gradkowski, (5 Zac Robinson)

RB (5/8): 42 BenJarvus Green-Ellis, 28 Bernard Scott, 40 Brian Leonard, 30 Cedric Peerman, (36 Chris Pressley), (35 James Develin), (33 Aaron Brown), 34 Dan “Boom” Herron

TE (3/4): 84 Jermaine Gresham, (81 Colin Cochart), 86 Donald Lee, 87 Orson Charles

WR (6/9): 18 A.J. Green, 11 Jordan Shipley, 19 Brandon Tate, 16 Andrew Hawkins, (17 Vidal Hazelton*), 85 Armon Binns, (88 Ryan Whalen), 12 Mohamaed Sanu, (82 Marvin Jones)

OL (9/11): 77 Andrew Whitworth, 70 Travelle Wharton, 64 Kyle Cook, 68 Kevin Zeitler, 71 Andre Smith, 73 Anthony Collins, 74 Dennis Roland, 62 Jacob Bell, 65 Clint Boling, (60 Otis Hudson), (76 Matthew O’Donnell)

DEFENSE (25/33)

DL (8/12): 91 Robert Geathers, 94 Domata Peko, 97 Geno Atkins, 93 Michael Johnson, 96 Carlos Dunlap, 90 Pat Sims, (95 Derrick Harvey) (98 Nick Hayden), (92 Jamaal Anderson), (69 DeQuin Evans), 75 Devon Still, 79 Brandon Thompson

LB (7/8): 99 Manny Lawson, 58 Rey Maualuga, 53 Thomas Howard, 51 Dan Skuta, 52 Dontay Moch, 50 Micah Johnson, 56 Roddrick Muckelroy, (57 Vincent Rey)

DB (10/13): 22 Nate Clements, 29 Leon Hall, 26 Taylor Mays, 20 Reggie Nelson, 25 Jason Allen, (24 Adam Jones), (23 Terence Newman), 21 Brandon Ghee, (45 Jeromy Miles), 31 Robert Sands, 27 Dre Kirkpatrick, 38 Shaun Prater, 43 George Iloka

SPECIAL TEAMS (3/4) – P/H: 10 Kevin Huber; K: 2 Mike Nugent, 3 Thomas Webber; LS: 46 Clark Harris

NOT FACTORED IN

ABOUT THOSE UNDRAFTED GUYS: The unofficial list, which doesn’t become official until the team announces the signings — Bowling Green OL Ben Bojicic, Western Kentucky CB Derrius Brooks, Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict, UCLA S Tony Dye, New Mexico DB Bubba Forrest, Colorado QB Tyler Hansen, Indiana State WR Justin Hilton, Arkansas State DE Brandon Joiner, Kansas State S Emmanuel Lamur, West Virginia DE Justin Miller, Connecticut WR Kashif Moore (tryout contract), Notre Dame OG Trevor Robinson, New Mexico State WR Taveon Rogers, Colorado RB Rodney Stewart, Clemson OTLandon Walker.

BENGALS UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS STILL UNSIGNED: (RB Cedric Benson), (CB Kelly Jennings),( LB Brandon Johnson), (TE Bo Scaife), (OG Bobbie Williams), (S Gibril Wilson).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good job. should sticky this.

I've got to think that Brandon Johnson is important to sign.

I think that Bengals keep Pressley and Herron goes to practice squad to learn how to block NFL backers

I think that team will go with only three running backs (plus Pressley) in order to keep Jamaal Anderson. It's easier to go three backs if Herron's on the practice squad. I think they'll keep Peerman over Brian Leonard but it should be some battle.

Ghee won't beat out Newman, although Miles might

I'm not convinced that you've got the receivers correct, but I can't figure out what will happen there, either. too many question marks. Shipley might PUP, which makes it even harder to predict. It will be interesting to watch.

another thing that makes it hard to predict is that some guys that looked lost last year might improve a lot from spending their first summer in a full training camp.

for instance, Cochart looked pretty good to me-- maybe that's his maximum value, but maybe he really improves if he's had an actual camp?

in fact, if you look at the Bengals roster, there are an awful lot of players that have never been through a full camp, from Dalton/Green to Moch/Sands/Mays/Hawkins/Binns/Tate/Whalen/Boling. I even think that Andre Smith, Carlos Dunlap and Brandon Ghee, due to injuries, have never been through an actual full-length training camp.

I know a lot of teams are expecting the same training camp bump, but Bengals are so young that I think that it might help them a little bit more.

so while I'm expecting some early season growing pains as Bengals transition their strong safety, wide receivers and interior offensive line, it also wouldn't surprise to see some big improvements from possibly unlikely sources, as a full training camp leads to players reacting more quickly.

In the past the Bengals have used some of the bigger DEs as pass rushing DTs. Last year, for instance, they carried only 3 DTs on the roster (Peko, Atkins, and Sims), but had 5 DEs (Dunlap, Johnson, Rucker, Fanene, and Geathers).

That's the interesting thing about them drafting 2 DTs. Do they really go from having only 3 DTs to carrying 5? I could see them parting ways with Sims. He's here on a one-year deal, and probably wasn't going to stay next year anyway. And Jamaal Anderson and Robert Geathers can both play DT on passing downs.

Side note:

The Bengals have some a lot of very talented depth. They are going to be cutting some good players this year.

In 2010, it seemed like the Bengals got a bit lazy. They thought they had arrived, and things would come easy. This year, guys are going to have to work their asses off just to make the team. Hopefully the result will be taking the next step instead of another season where they take a step back.

I can't imagine they'll go without a fullback so Pressley certainly makes it. If Herron makes the team it'll be at the expense of Peerman

Of course there'll be injuries and that's why it's nice to look at this in early May and see such depth. Injuries will go a long way in determining these roster spots

Does anyone know if we're having a rookie minicamp this year? Prior to last year's lockout we always used to have a rookie minicamp one week after the draft

I could see them parting ways with Sims. He's here on a one-year deal, and probably wasn't going to stay next year anyway.

I'd prefer that the team squeezes every last tackle out of Sims as he tries to flash his value to his next employer.maybe even get a compensation pick for him in the 2014 draft?

wouldn't be surprised by a late-camp trade, however.

If Herron makes the team it'll be at the expense of Peerman

That would be my thought as well... but Peerman has been a huge contributor to Special Teams.

Herron is a better receiver than Bernard Scott... and Scott is in the last year of his deal. It would not be outside the realm of possibility that Scott doesn't make the team.

I agree Scott may be in trouble, they looked for him to take the next step last season and there wasn't much growth.

RB (4/8): 42 BenJarvus Green-Ellis, (28 Bernard Scott), 40 Brian Leonard, (30 Cedric Peerman), 36 Chris Pressley, (35 James Develin), (33 Aaron Brown), 34 Dan “Boom” Herron

TE (3/4): 84 Jermaine Gresham, (81 Colin Cochart), 86 Donald Lee, 87 Orson Charles

WR (6/9): 18 A.J. Green, 11 Jordan Shipley, (19 Brandon Tate), 16 Andrew Hawkins, (17 Vidal Hazelton*), 85 Armon Binns, (88 Ryan Whalen), 12 Mohamaed Sanu, 82 Marvin Jones

OL (9/11): 77 Andrew Whitworth, 70 Travelle Wharton, 64 Kyle Cook, 68 Kevin Zeitler, 71 Andre Smith, 73 Anthony Collins, 74 Dennis Roland, 62 Jacob Bell, 65 Clint Boling, (60 Otis Hudson), (76 Matthew O’Donnell)

DEFENSE (25/33)

DL (9/12): 91 Robert Geathers, 94 Domata Peko, 97 Geno Atkins, 93 Michael Johnson, 96 Carlos Dunlap, 90 Pat Sims, 95 Derrick Harvey, (98 Nick Hayden), (92 Jamaal Anderson), (69 DeQuin Evans), 75 Devon Still, 79 Brandon Thompson

LB (7/8): 99 Manny Lawson, 58 Rey Maualuga, 53 Thomas Howard, 51 Dan Skuta, 52 Dontay Moch, (50 Micah Johnson), Vontaze Burfict, 56 Roddrick Muckelroy, (57 Vincent Rey)

DB (10/13): 22 Nate Clements, 29 Leon Hall, 26 Taylor Mays, 20 Reggie Nelson, 25 Jason Allen, 24 Adam Jones, 23 Terence Newman, (21 Brandon Ghee), (45 Jeromy Miles), 31 Robert Sands, 27 Dre Kirkpatrick, (38 Shaun Prater) 43 George Iloka

SPECIAL TEAMS (3/4) – P/H: 10 Kevin Huber; K: 2 Mike Nugent, (3 Thomas Webber), LS: 46 Clark Harris

This is my roster prediction.

I agree Scott may be in trouble, they looked for him to take the next step last season and there wasn't much growth.

I disagree. If they weren't pleased with Scott they would have gone out and gotten more competition for him. Herron doesn't strike me as a significant effort on the Bengals part to get rid of Bernard. Instead it looks to be a depth move in case there's an injury. The fact that they didn't get anything more to come in and compete with him speaks volumes about their opinion of him. Fact is he's been much more productive than Ced the last couple of yrs and they sure tolerated him

I disagree. If they weren't pleased with Scott they would have gone out and gotten more competition for him.

Word is that the Bengals attempted to trade up to get Pead. They also had confirmed visits for Lamar Miller, Bernard Pierce, Robert Turbin, and Chris Rainey.

The way their draft fell, the right RB didn't fall to them, so they didn't reach. But the Bengals were certainly looking for an upgrade at the RB position. Herron might not be a significant upgrade - but he is a better receiver than Scott.

So yeah, I think Scott's job is in jeopardy.

Fact is he's been much more productive than Ced

Not sure what your definition of "productive" is... but Scott saw his number of carries nearly double last year - but managed only 3.4 yards/carry. (Everyone complains about Benson's YPC, but he had 3.9 yards/carry last year).

Scott also had only 13 receptions for 2.9 yards/reception. Not exactly stellar from a guy that is supposed to be the "change of pace" back.

Bernard Scott has not progressed the way you would have hoped. If anything, he regressed last year. If Herron shows anything at all, I'm guessing Scott is a goner.

I've said for a while now that Scott is very underwhelming. Maybe bringing in guys helps kick start him a little, but my thought is, if you can't find a way to motivate yourself, you aren't as useful as some may think. I think Scott is in trouble as well, minus him showing up ready to go in camps.

I don't know what to think about Leonard outside the fact I like him and his constant effort whenever he gets a chance. Peerman is the same being a high effort guy. Honestly I think Peerman could be an equal if not more of a threat to Scott come to think of it. Anyway around, I can't wait to see how things roll come OTA's and camp. Even through preseason, guys will be begging to get a shot.

Should be fun.

I agree he did regress last year and he needs to kick it into gear. I think he has the inside track to keep his job here but he can't play like he did last yr

I think we could go 2 QB's to either go 4 RB's or 4 Te's.

RB (5/8): 42 BenJarvus Green-Ellis, 28 Bernard Scott, 40 Brian Leonard, 30 Cedric Peerman, (36 Chris Pressley), (35 James Develin), (33 Aaron Brown), 34 Dan “Boom” Herron

I see 3 RB 1 FB Unless Herron really shines in preseason.

Think would be tough choice hard justify 4 TE's but do cut Cochart which who is young and seems like great depth or do go with the vet?

WR (6/9): 18 A.J. Green, 11 Jordan Shipley, 19 Brandon Tate, 16 Andrew Hawkins, (17 Vidal Hazelton*), 85 Armon Binns, (88 Ryan Whalen), 12 Mohamaed Sanu, (82 Marvin Jones)

6 I see making it are Green,Sanu,Shipley,Hawkins,Whalen & Jones unless Binns sneaks in some where...

Whitworth,Wharton,Cook,Zeitler,Smith,Collins,Roland,Bell Not sure who the 9th would be I'd imagine someone who can play center...

DL (8/12): 91 Robert Geathers, 94 Domata Peko, 97 Geno Atkins, 93 Michael Johnson, 96 Carlos Dunlap, 90 Pat Sims, (95 Derrick Harvey) (98 Nick Hayden), (92 Jamaal Anderson), (69 DeQuin Evans), 75 Devon Still, 79 Brandon Thompson

I see us keeping 9 Dlinemen 5 Tackles 4 DE's... I'd say last spot comes down between Anderson,Evans or Joiner

LB (7/8): 99 Manny Lawson, 58 Rey Maualuga, 53 Thomas Howard, 51 Dan Skuta, 52 Dontay Moch, 50 Micah Johnson, 56 Roddrick Muckelroy, (57 Vincent Rey)

Lawson,Maualuga,Howard,Moch,MuckelRoy I'd like see Burfict make it then i'd say last spot between Vincent/Skuta

DB (10/13): 22 Nate Clements, 29 Leon Hall, 26 Taylor Mays, 20 Reggie Nelson, 25 Jason Allen, (24 Adam Jones), (23 Terence Newman), 21 Brandon Ghee, (45 Jeromy Miles), 31 Robert Sands, 27 Dre Kirkpatrick, 38 Shaun Prater, 43 George Iloka

Hmm Think we keep 6 CB's 4 Safeties...I'd say Hall,Clements,Kirkpatrick,Allen,Newman and Prater or Ghee Winning the last spot (I like pacman but at 6th CB Spot I'd prefer see some youth)Safety Nelson,Mays,Sands & Iloka

SPECIAL TEAMS (3/4) – P/H: 10 Kevin Huber; K: 2 Mike Nugent, 3 Thomas Webber; LS: 46 Clark Harris

No Brainer who our 3 are...

I don't know what to think about Leonard outside the fact

I don't see How you can get rid of the guy until you see him Regress,He was our best Running back last year and he may not have big play (Breaking away for 50 yard run) He has big play when it comes to needing that 3rd down conversion and just just makes things happen.

Think we keep 6 CB's 4 Safeties...I'd say Hall, Clements, Kirkpatrick, Allen, Newman and Prater or Ghee Winning the last spot (I like pacman but at 6th CB Spot I'd prefer see some youth)

Adam Jones is a lot better than Newman. A lot better. PFF graded Jones with a positive score for the year of +0.8. Newman graded out -9.1. Not to mention that Jones has added value as a punt returner.

The only way Newman makes the team is if Hall starts the season on the PUP list. Even then it'll be an uphill battle for him. A couple weeks ago you could make the argument that the Bengals needed him. Now they've drafted a 2 CBs, with one being a 1st rounder. I don't think Newman makes the final roster.

If Hall is healthy, I agree that that last spot will go down to Prater/Ghee though... with the loser going to the PS.

Think we keep 6 CB's 4 Safeties...I'd say Hall, Clements, Kirkpatrick, Allen, Newman and Prater or Ghee Winning the last spot (I like pacman but at 6th CB Spot I'd prefer see some youth)

Adam Jones is a lot better than Newman. A lot better. PFF graded Jones with a positive score for the year of +0.8. Newman graded out -9.1. Not to mention that Jones has added value as a punt returner.

The only way Newman makes the team is if Hall starts the season on the PUP list. Even then it'll be an uphill battle for him. A couple weeks ago you could make the argument that the Bengals needed him. Now they've drafted a 2 CBs, with one being a 1st rounder. I don't think Newman makes the final roster.

If Hall is healthy, I agree that that last spot will go down to Prater/Ghee though... with the loser going to the PS.

that's fine by me truthfully prefer Pacman over newman I just figured Newman is man crushed by zimmer.

Newman was playing in a defense that no longer suited him and played hurt most of the season, this is the danger of looking at one year grades. I think Ghee is gone but I will bet Newman makes a big comeback this year.

Not a fun thought but we have to consider Hall maybe being cut if his Achilles is wasted

Sure do. Ditto with Muckleroy. It's a rough sport

At the RB spot, I'd like to see Herron play "teams" and Peerman replace Scott.Peerman has serious wheels, can catch and is a physical runner.He is to Benson what Rudi was to Dillon, when that whole move happened. Scott has had his shots, lets see Peerman go nuts and get the bal 15-20 touches a game. He could be like Arian Foster, especially with the O-line in an upgrade position.

As for WR, I think they still need a vet to come in and be the anchor for the unit. Not sure who would fit the bill but a selfless guy with some talent and a bit of a chip would be ideal. Maybe Jacoby Jones? Jabar Gaffney? who would work better in the Gruden scheme?