UDFA Signings

HoosierCat

It's interesting that Vontaze was being so proactive pursuing Lewis before the draft. Even if you take it as pure panic (OMG I totally effed up I had better kiss some ass fast) at least he had the wits and motivation to make the effort.

Assuming that wasn't an agent with his hand up Burfict's @ss making his lips move, which would be my guess. You may get the award for being the first to use the words 'Burfict' and 'wits' in the same sentence.

Besides, after taking on Odell, Pacman, Henry, Benson, Tank, and all the others, Lewis was the obvious target.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Burfict pans out, then the bengals just got the steal of the draft. Not even a year ago he was a first to second round draft pick, and the bengals got him without even drafting him. He came in at a good weight, seems willing to learn, and Marvin seems to have taken him under his wing. If he works out this could be one of the great moves in recent history, if not then oh well they didnt spend anything to get him. Heres hoping he pans out!

Marvin's pursuit of Stabby 2.0 is becoming Ahab-ish. Now that he's lost his Queequeg (Lippy reassigned to high school football somewhere), I fear Marvin will ride that white whale right to the bottom of the abyss.

It is interesting to note this pattern.

Stabby 1.0

Odell

Brooks

Rey

Now Burfict.

Why not just focus on undamaged goods, ML tries to take the flawed guys he think he can fix.

In 07, they take Kenny Trons when David Harris was on the board. The starting LBs on the roster going into 07 was the amazing group of Landon Johnson, Caleb Miller, Jeanty, Simmons and Brooks. Not exactly an all star group. Of course hindsight is 20/20, so taking David Harris instead of Irons is an easy call to make now.

But it goes on: taking Rivers instead of Mayo, when all they had inside was Dhani. Even later in the draft of 08, they take Chris Harrington in r6 when Ruud was on the board.

I know that's maybe a stretch of an example but it is clear that ML has a fascination with the troubled guys, consistently through the years. They do take the "safe" guys: rivers, Landon Johnson, but there are plenty of red flags on the likes of Ahmad Brooks, Rey, Odell, and now Burfict.

Getting Burfict for chicken scratch is the proper way to handle these risk case, not how they took Odell, Rey or Brooks, so maybe that is a sign of learning?

I'm fine with Burfict, in fact I think his baggage is far easier for ML to deal with than Odell, who had a serious dependency issue, Brooks, whose baggage was similar to Burfict's but manifest in off fiield violence . It is interesting to note Brooks actually emerged under Singletary and now is a hell of a player. Maybe that is what we can get from Burfict.

Much of this is about the environment he's coming into. I think this team is a far better environment than those in 07/08/09, when it was quitter Carson and Chad and TJ who were the dominant personalities. On the defense, leaders like Peko, Hall, Clements, Howard, etc., seems to be much more professional a group than those back then. I think Zimmer plays a big role in this and the guys rally to his approach.

To me, Burfict is a bit like Ricky Williams. Self image and shyness issues, weight fluctuations, reclusive, And Won't speak to media. For a grown man this is a childhood issue that he should be about to get worked out with counseling, therapy, etc. the thing they have to avoid is the weed downfall. Can't have the guy smoking up as therapy. IF they work out his psyche issues, he can be an amazing player, as he showed at times in college.

I think the risk here is a good one and certainly smarter way to handle it than Odell, Brooks, Rey had been.

I think the risk here is a good one and certainly smarter way to handle it than Odell, Brooks, Rey had been.

I have no problem here either. Picked up an impact player without spending a draft pick. Lets see if he can make the cut.

My feeling is he will.

I have no problem here either. Picked up an impact player without spending a draft pick. Lets see if he can make the cut.

My feeling is he will.

I think he will too. He sure can talk the talk, now its time to walk the walk! Marvin seems to really like this guy, so lets see what hes got!

My feeling is he will.

I think he will too. He sure can talk the talk, now its time to walk the walk! Marvin seems to really like this guy, so lets see what hes got!

I have no idea what is up with this guy. He bombed every audition he had this year, but some gave him a first round grade?

Are his athletic measurables bad? Or was he just off at tryouts and pro days?

I agree he is low risk , and I also think the locker room is getting stronger and potentially able to control him if he acts up.

What a surprise it would be if he steps up and contributes to this team.

I am a little skeptical though, but also very intrigued.

It is interesting to note this pattern.

Stabby 1.0

Odell

Brooks

Rey

Now Burfict.

Why not just focus on undamaged goods, ML tries to take the flawed guys he think he can fix.

ML? Don't forget the team is owned by The Redeemer. And that redemption pattern goes on well beyond the LB corps.

Assuming that wasn't an agent

Again, so what? The point is he cared enough to listen. In other words, he's coachable. If he washes out, fine. If not, no complaints.

Reading a script prepared by your agent when he dials the phone for you isn't the same as taking ownership for your own mistakes. I'm not seeing a not-so-spontaneous cold-call as evidence that he's coachable, since his on-field experience from ASU indicates otherwise.

Regarding the 'if he washes out, fine' mentality, I don't want the team to reach critical @sshole density again with the resulting core meltdown that inevitably results. Not a guy I want in the locker room, methinks. Especially with such a young team - maybe an experienced team with a lot of vets could handle him. Me, I don't take the risk. I'm not so sure he was that good anyway. His Sportscenter hits seem to be balanced by broken plays.

I just wish that it wasn't always the Bengals who get this sort of guy, with the sort of regularity that I could bet my 401(k) on it an not break a sweat.

Assuming that wasn't an agent

Again, so what? The point is he cared enough to listen. In other words, he's coachable. If he washes out, fine. If not, no complaints.

Reading a script prepared by your agent when he dials the phone for you isn't the same as taking ownership for your own mistakes.

Your conspiracy theory is beginning to get a bit out there for me. Do we even know who Burfict's agent is? Does he even have an agent? I really can't see an agent spending much time on a guy who was written off way before the draft, can you? If there's ever a payoff it's 4 or 5 years away. Why is it so hard for you to believe Burfict might have managed to figure out he was in a bad place on his own. By all reports, he's got control issues on the field, but no one has ever said he was dumb.

Regarding the 'if he washes out, fine' mentality, I don't want the team to reach critical @sshole density again with the resulting core meltdown that inevitably results.

No one does. But so far said "critical @sshole density" consists of Burfict and...?

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh.

Bengals undrafted rookie Brandon Joiner sentenced to three years in prison

Posted by Josh Alper on May 25, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT

The Bengals have done their best to distance the stripes on their helmet from prison stripes in recent years, but one of their undrafted rookie signings is bringing back the old associations.

Linebacker Brandon Joiner has been sentenced to three years in prison for two counts of aggravated robbery and one count of felony drug possession. The charges stem from an incident in 2007 when Joiner was playing at Texas A&M.

Joiner and another man forced their way into an apartment and assaulted two men before binding them with duct tape. They stole their wallets, keys, cellphones and marijuana. When police searched Joiner’s home they also found hydrocodone and Ectasy.

Joiner finished out his collegiate career at Arkansas State after the arrest forced him off the Texas A&M team. Joiner’s lawyer said that they hope he will be released on parole after six to nine months if Joiner behaves himself behind bars.

“Since this incident, Brandon has conducted himself in an exemplary fashion and I’m sure he will continue to do that,” attorney Jay Granberry said, via the Bryan/College Station Eagle. “There are a lot of people rooting for Brandon and I’m convinced he’s not going to let anyone down.”

The Bengals haven’t made any comment about Joiner’s status at this point.