UDFA Signings

HoosierCat

But Mikey just can't say no.

Marvin Lewis and the coaching staff made the decision, MB just signs the paycheck. Sure Mikey has a veto over NOT signing him, but if the coaches want him and believe in him then Mike Brown is all for giving someone a chance.

This was a Marvin/coaches signing, not MB's. Unless we're going to give Mikey sole credit for the rest of the draft - it's gotta cut both ways matey.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Rey been an idiot at times while here ?? Yes. A DUI and now punching a guy in the face, but he's the starting MLB of this team and will be for the foreseeable future. How is that putting the team into the hands of Burfict ?? Is Burfict even being thought of as a starter at ANY linebacker position ?? Who has said that ?? No one that I can recall. Are the Bengals 2013 playoffs dreams riding on this kid we spent a 3rd or 4th round pick on ?? NO.

Don't get me wrong, the kid has issues, but lets not turn this into something it's not.

He's going to be a special teams guy until he shows he's capable of being disciplined and able to handle more responsibility. The Bengals not drafting him even though Marvin obviously had a connection with the kid is telling.

He thinks he's a good kid that could turn into something special, but not good or special enough that they were willing to spend even a late 6th round pick on him. Hardly goes to pinning all hopes on him...

UDFA's usually dont matter much in the long run, but this kid has talent. IF, they can turn him into a man, he might become a solid player or better. I'm glad he is here and not Balti or Pitts.

Miles,Rey, and Skuta are our best ST players. UDFAs do matter. That's why teams fall all over themselves signing the undrafted guys.

Yes, again this is why I used the word usually. Do you remember the names of all the UDFA's that were signed by the Bengals the last four seasons? Will the three players you mention have more than a few years on this team? I doubt either of those can be answered with a yes.

Rey is probably done this year(at least with the Bengals) and Skuta all depends on how Burfict turns out during training camp/preseason. Miles may last one more year, unless he sees some playing time other than ST's.

A UDFA that turns into a star is rare. Burfict has the talent to be a star, but he needs to grow up and become a man for that to happen. He can be aggressive while playing, even mean, as long as it stays within the NFL rules. That is why Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu(when healthy) are so good. Look back at what Mike Singletary did for the Bears in the 80's, he always looked crazy nuts on the field, but kept his agression within the rules, most plays.

Looks like they may have found there PS C/OL. This kid made the list for the Remington award for the last three years at BGSU. Ben Bojicic

Kashif Moore has some speed.

Rodney Stewart could end up on the PS also.

The UDFA's list looks pretty solid this year, the Bengals have really kicked butt this offseason.

Glad to see Pike given a tryout, if he's healthy, it can't hurt, they having nothing behind Dalton at all. Never understood Pike's inability to put on muscle/weight, he has all the talent in the world, but is way too fragile for the NFL and a QB that depends on his legs to make plays at times.

I don't mind having Gradkowski as a backup. He might not be the 2nd coming of the best backup ever, but he's serviceable. Will he win us multiple games and take us to the Super Bowl ?? I wouldn't guess he would, but then again, I don't that I would say that any back up QB. You like to hope, but you never know.

Tebow in New York might be the only one capable of that right now and I don't even think he's a good QB.

Not trying to derail thread...

I have no issue with Pike being brought in, but he's not replacing Gradkowski by any stretch.

Maybe the 3rd QB, but that's it.

I've always thought Pike could be a very solid NFL backup (or even starter). His health has always been the biggest issue.

I wouldn't mind seeing some healthy competition for the #2 QB job. And Pike might be a good candidate for that competition. Gradkowski does have experience and seems to be a good guy, but why should his job be safe?

Backup QB is definitely a weakness, IMO. It's not quite as bad as it was at the end of Palmer's time here when we were all screaming about replacing JT O'Sullivan, but Gradkowski is below average in that position. Unfortunately there are probably no good solutions, so we're left experimenting with guys like Pike (who I expect absolutely nothing from).

I would have liked to get Kirk Cousins... but not in the 4th round.

Gradkowski is a below average starting QB, but hes an above average back-up. He has always performed much better than expected for every team he has played for.

You never want to see your backup QB starting a game, but based on past history, Gradkowski gives the Bengals a much better chance of winning a game or two than the likes of Tony Pike.

Pike as a developmental type is fine but I have zero interest in replacing Gradkowski. You want an experienced vet in that slot, not a project. Hell, I'm not sure Bruce didn't make one of the most important plays of 2011 when he caught the Browns defense napping and hit Green for a 41 yard score in last year's opener.

i hope pike can make the roster. i am with shula we have nothing behind dalton.

Of course, that is patently not true. Gradkowski won the opener against Cleveland after Dalton hurt his wrist. Anyway, ML & Co must be doing something right if all there is to whine about is the back-up QB.

Of course, that is patently not true. Gradkowski won the opener against Cleveland after Dalton hurt his wrist. Anyway, ML & Co must be doing something right if all there is to whine about is the back-up QB.

"Patently not true" is your opinion only. Citing a 2nd half win vs the worst team in the league is hardly a worthy endorsement of the results he would have over a season's time, or even several games.

If Dalton goes down the season's likely over here. The Bengals' aren't the only team that can say that right now, but there are many teams with better back-ups with better upside and the ability to make plays.

You always look to improve or upgrade every position on the roster, especially QB's.

No idea where you got "whining" out of that. Annoying.

"Patently not true" is your opinion only. Citing a 2nd half win vs the worst team in the league is hardly a worthy endorsement of the results he would have over a season's time, or even several games.

If Dalton goes down the season's likely over here. The Bengals' aren't the only team that can say that right now, but there are many teams with better back-ups with better upside and the ability to make plays.

You always look to improve or upgrade every position on the roster, especially QB's.

No idea where you got "whining" out of that. Annoying.

You're over-reacting. Is this just about my use of the term "whining"? That, by implication, I was calling you a whiner? If so, I apologize, okay? As to the backup QB situation, I stand by what I said. Gradkowski, when given the opportunity, has shown himself to be an effective #2 QB. I relied on facts-his actual performance in a game. You, on the other hand, denigrate his actual performance in a real NFL game and suggest there is something wrong with Gradkowski based on...whatever. So, you are not a whiner. You are just annoying.

I think it's tough to judge a guy either way based on half a game. On the one hand, he had the veteran savvy to take advantage of a confused Browns D for an easy score, and IMO there's no underestimating just how important that 41-yard TD pass to Green was. I remember just how far down I was the moment before that play. We saw the Bengals run out to a 13-0 lead, only to have 2010 come out of nowhere to kick the team in the nuts. First the D gives up a couple of big "chunk" plays, allowing the Clowns to bounce back to a 14-13 lead. Then the o-line crumbles and Dalton (who had about 1 good series, in tandem with Gresham) got knocked out with a wrist injury. In comes Gradkowski, and he's not effective. The sputtering Bengals offense can't do spit and finally came up against a 3rd and 11 on the 41 yard line. And I'm wondering if Ced can pick up 5-6 yards for a long FG try.

Then it all changed. The Browns made exactly the same kind of boneheaded mistake that characterized all too many "Bungle" squads and 41 yards late Green was in the end zone. The team never looked back, that game or the rest of the year. If last year's team loses in Cleveland, at a minimum it doesn't make the playoffs. And its record might be much worse than 8-8. And I give Gradkowski a lot of the credit for that.

On the other hand, Bruce was pretty bad that game. Outside of the gimme TD toss he was 4-11-51. Barf. But, given the lockout and the fact that Dalton got all the reps in camp and it's his first game with a new team, it's understandable. His record prior to the Bengals says he's a better backup than that.

I'm fine with him.

Looks like Pike's arm is shot, at least for now.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Satuday-quick-hits-Gruden-says-Pike-needs-more-time-Hansen-impresses-Charles-emulates/bc963241-7ef5-4ed6-96c1-425954c9184a

Does Jay really want this dude or what? I think this is a waste of time. We've got Dalton and Gradkowski and I'm good with that. Pike can take a hike.

It's interesting that Vontaze was being so proactive pursuing Lewis before the draft. Even if you take it as pure panic (OMG I totally effed up I had better kiss some ass fast) at least he had the wits and motivation to make the effort.