UDFA Signings

HoosierCat

Quan Cosby worked out well for a little while, but yeah, not much success in that area.

I'm not saying Burfict is going to work out and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him do very little.

However, if he can get his head together, he's on the right team to be able to make an impact.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless he gets off without a suspension, any time off creates problems for the team. Hopefully it will only be a game or two but his past issues might make it more.

I doubt it.

Think about Cedric Benson.

He was arrested twice in 2008 - the first for boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest. The second was a DUI. He wasn't suspended.

In 2010, he was arrested for punching a bartender in the face. He wasn't suspended.

In 2011, he was charged with assault. It was his 4th offense and he did 20 days in jail. His suspension? 1 game.

I can't see Maualuga getting more than a 1 game suspension... and I won't be surprised if he gets no suspension at all.

UDFA's usually dont matter much in the long run, but this kid has talent. IF, they can turn him into a man, he might become a solid player or better. I'm glad he is here and not Balti or Pitts.

Actually I read over the weekend that UDFAs comprise one out of 5 starters in the NFL. The poster child for that article was Victor Cruz. With that in mind, you could make a case that in order to be considered a good team, you have to have a couple UDFAs make your team and contribute most yrs

UDFA's usually dont matter much in the long run, but this kid has talent. IF, they can turn him into a man, he might become a solid player or better. I'm glad he is here and not Balti or Pitts.

Actually I read over the weekend that UDFAs comprise one out of 5 starters in the NFL. The poster child for that article was Victor Cruz. With that in mind, you could make a case that in order to be considered a good team, you have to have a couple UDFAs make your team and contribute most yrs

Yes, the reason I used the word "usually".

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAPTnCMZEdg

Here's one more.

The talent level is certainly there. But he doesn't play disciplined or smart football.

I'm pulling for the dude... and a lot of the deficiencies in his game can be coached... but he's got to learn to manage his emotions. That can't be coached. That's all him.

It all makes sense to me now. On that tape, Burfict makes me think of one person - a young Ray Lewis. Of course Marvin want this kid. He flies to the ball just like Ray did.

It all makes sense to me now. On that tape, Burfict makes me think of one person - a young Ray Lewis. Of course Marvin want this kid. He flies to the ball just like Ray did.

Sure. And I've been pretty hard on him as I've watched these tapes... but one thing I've noticed that he does consistently well is blitz. That's a rare skill at the MLB spot.

Burfict was easily the best pass-rushing MLB on the roster the moment he inked his name to paper. He consistently bursts through the offensive line. He is great at splitting the gaps and putting heavy pressure on the QB.

Rey Maualuga is primarily a 2-down, run stuffing MLB anyway... so bringing Burfict in as a rusher in obvious passing downs would be an immediate role he could fill.

His intensity and the violence he brings is just crazy.

Just get the kid some counseling and hope it works out.

I've read that article on ESPN a couple times now and still walk away thinking he has some personality disorder.

Shyness is a b*tch and I can see using football as a way to work things out, but sooner or later it needs to be addressed if it is truly that detrimental in a persons life.

Burfict is easily one of the players I want to watch most heading into camps.

Him and hoping to see Moch's speed in a situational role.

Uh, I just read one of those links and a scout called him an "overly emotional locker room lawyer and divisive energy-draining field force." I hope he is none of those things, because if he is I want him gone fast.

Wonderful.....:rolleyes:

All part of why they need to get this kid some counseling.

Figure out what's going on and get him moving forward.

If that moving forward is on the field, in a fast, violent way, that doesn't result in penalties, that would be nice.

It was said if he went somewhere the vets could keep him in check and he could learn, he would be ok.

While they may not be pro-bowlers, Lawson and Howard certainly could fill that role model type.

Burfict has already said he can't wait to get around Rey, so that could be good if he pulls his head out of his ass.

Maybe having someone to push him a little will be a good thing as well.

Rey got a DUI if you recall. He's going to catch at least a game, if not two.

I do think Skuta is the guy that replaces him should any suspension happen.

I don't think there's any way Burfict would be able to step right in and call plays.

I actually forgot about that thx for clarifying AB :)

I don't think there's any way Burfict would be able to step right in and call plays.

No issue, like you said, just clarifying.

This isn't the first time Rey has had issues here and I can't say as I really trust him to NOT have them in the future. After his DUI, he went on and on about letting people down, being a role model, and being embarrassed. Obviously not so much he couldn't punch some dude in the face while drunk at a bar. Stay tuned !!!

No issue, like you said, just clarifying.

This isn't the first time Rey has had issues here and I can't say as I really trust him to NOT have them in the future. After his DUI, he went on and on about letting people down, being a role model, and being embarrassed. Obviously not so much he couldn't punch some dude in the face while drunk at a bar. Stay tuned !!!

Yeah, Rey has me nervous. Fingers crossed...

Uh, I just read one of those links and a scout called him an "overly emotional locker room lawyer and divisive energy-draining field force." I hope he is none of those things, because if he is I want him gone fast.

so,that "scout" (anonymous?)is an authority on the ASU lockerroom? If Marvin or Zimmer really believed that,they wouldn't bring him in. I think Burfict is a wonderful and misunderstood puppy dog.

Miles,Rey, and Skuta are our best ST players. UDFAs do matter. That's why teams fall all over themselves signing the undrafted guys.

Re: Burfict--

I must admit that I root for these kinds of guys but if I'm being completely honest, it's for selfish reasons. I want my team to develop this diamond in the rough, not because I'm happy for Vontaze but because I want to think my team is better than your team at finding and developing talent.

Now, have any of these projects ever worked? I would say probably not although I would opine that the Bengals don't win the division in 2005 without Odell Thurmond and Chris Henry. Has PacMan worked out? Not really but I suppose it can be argued that he's a contributor.

As for Vontaze, I'm still not sure if he's going to work. I wish I'd read in these articles how his frustration led him to studying extra video and going in for extra work. I think Mike Brown ought to fork out money for him to get a place at Lytle Tower and change his environment as well as keep him close to Paul Brown Stadium. In other words keep him on a short leash. Then work him into the lineup slowly and let him be a head hunter on special teams out of the box. Tell him that he will get more playing time when he earns it and remind him that his position (MLB) is wide open and asking for someone to take it. When he screws up coach him, see if he learns from his mistakes and explain to him that such mistakes are the reason he's not starting. Let's see how he responds to all of that.

I hope he does respond because quite frankly we need head hunters in order to compete in the AFC North. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will hit you in the mouth and when they do, it's nice to have a guy like Burfict to hit back.

1) The ESPN article hinted that Marvin spent a lot of time with him before the draft. Often times, with kids like this, just showing them that you care and that you're interested is all it takes.

I don't doubt that. I truly believe that Marvin can get him to believe. The problem seems to lie in the kid's total lack of self control. That's what you can't fix - even if he would follow Marvin off the edge of a cliff, it doesn't matter if he can't actually control himself. Buying into the system won't stop the personal fouls.

As others have said, it's just not worth putting your team in the hands of these losers. Time and again, it blows up in your face. But Mikey just can't say no. I was kind of excited about the draft, that they had actually managed to avoid the obligatory project for Saint Michael the Redeemer, but here we go again.

1) The ESPN article hinted that Marvin spent a lot of time with him before the draft. Often times, with kids like this, just showing them that you care and that you're interested is all it takes.

As others have said, it's just not worth putting your team in the hands of these losers.

Here's where I don't understand everyone's fears. How have the Bengals put their team in this guy's hands?

He's here as a UDFA and will have to earn everything he gets. Nothing will be handed to him, and he certainly won't have the team in his hands to do with what he pleases. This isn't a 1st or 2nd round pick we're talking about here. He wasn't a pick at all!

Let's keep some perspective.

I don't doubt that. I truly believe that Marvin can get him to believe. The problem seems to lie in the kid's total lack of self control. That's what you can't fix - even if he would follow Marvin off the edge of a cliff, it doesn't matter if he can't actually control himself. Buying into the system won't stop the personal fouls.

As others have said, it's just not worth putting your team in the hands of these losers. Time and again, it blows up in your face. But Mikey just can't say no. I was kind of excited about the draft, that they had actually managed to avoid the obligatory project for Saint Michael the Redeemer, but here we go again.

The personal fouls really don't bother me a whole lot. They'll happen, especially with a younger player. If he lays the wood and keeps guys like Ray Rice and Arian Foster from running roughshop over us, I'll live with a 15 yd personal foul every other game. I'd be more concerned if he leaves his lane responsibilities and it leads to big plays

Sure. And I've been pretty hard on him as I've watched these tapes... but one thing I've noticed that he does consistently well is blitz. That's a rare skill at the MLB spot.

Burfict was easily the best pass-rushing MLB on the roster the moment he inked his name to paper. He consistently bursts through the offensive line. He is great at splitting the gaps and putting heavy pressure on the QB.

Rey Maualuga is primarily a 2-down, run stuffing MLB anyway... so bringing Burfict in as a rusher in obvious passing downs would be an immediate role he could fill.

that is exactly what i am seeing Derek. I didn't know much about the guy as a player until the bengals inked him. I've seem some wholes in his covering but nothing that I don't see all-pro/all-american players do from time to time. his speed to the ball and the tenacity he brings makes me think he is a clear choice to make the roster. think... if skuta had that kind of closing speed, we'd all have SKUTA jerseys on right now.