UDFA Signings

HoosierCat

I like his attitude at the LOS...

126317097_crop_650x440.jpg?1332122375

Did you read about this in the ESPN article? Apparently, Barkley had called him dirty, etc. Burfict didn't take so kindly to it and was telling him in this pic that he was aiming for him.

Apparently, at one point later in the game, Barkley was on the ground and Burfict helped him up and patted him on the helmet. According to ESPN, you won't be able to find those pictures anywhere when you google it.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the nastiness that Burfict brings to the table. Honestly its that type of attitude that this team can use. But my problem is I am sick of these low risk high reward just cut them when they screw up again(and for the 37th time in the last 5 years) type of players because we all have seen that three years later they are still on our roster despite multiple screw ups and honestly some poor play(im looking at you pacman). The problem here isnt that the Bengals take a shot, its that they never seem to realise it didnt pan out until after it hurts the team. This is how I see this going, Burfict looks great this preseason, makes the team as a rotational player, Ends up starting several games for the team at some point in the season, looks great doing it, becomes a fan favorite, then starting in the offseason begins making stupid decisions and screwing up all over the place, becomes a locker room cancer, and the Bengals sit on thier hand because he showed talent that first season.

Honestly this is the type of pick that I see making the team worse, not better. That said he does have that James Harrison type attitude that this defense could use.

And before everyone jumps on me for being overly negative, I need something to really dislike about this draft, and its an udfa this year. Kudos to the bengals for making that happen.

It's such a no-risk option Marvin would have been stupid not to give the kid a chance.

He has one opportunity now to make it as an NFL player, if he doesn't get his s**t in order it'll be a case of "told ya so" ...... but we haven't even burnt a pick on this guy.

If it works out then the sky's the limit for him. Mike Brown is a great guy for giving someone a chance, and I feel even though he comes with baggage this is his one and only chance to make the grade. Hope it works out for him and the Bengals.

Bengals put time into these guys (Odell, Rey), hope they can be managed, eventually design their defensive scheme around them, and then wind up having to replace them at the last minute with street free agents as they serve their 4 game suspensions or full season suspensions, or maybe they die tragically.

Yeah, my concerns are similar. I'm rooting for Vontaze but there's no question this could backfire badly.

hand wringers.

Better that than to have your head in the sand. Guys with character flags rarely work out in Cincy (Odell, Henry, Owens, etc.). And even when they do, their relationship with the team eventually turns toxic (Dillon, Chad) and we've seen them implode at the worst possible time (think Chad at halftime in the '05 playoff game). Like I said, I'm rooting for Vontaze, but the team's history says the experiment will end badly.

I've no objections to the signing of Burfict, and in fact, there's a lot to like about it

Low risk and low cost, potentially high benefit, at a definite position of need and some strong potential benefit on special teams units.

The video footage make it clear that his playing speed is much better than what was measured at the combine (5.09) and Osweiler's workout (4.79)

The coaching staff gets a chance to take a very long look at him to see if he fits or not.

If he screws up (drugs, violence, inability to control emotion on the field), what have you -- they simply let him go, same as they did with Odell and at a lot lower dead money cost

Is the kid off the beaten path ?? Absolutely., but Marvin is apparently comfortable with what the kid may be able to do here.

Do we only trust the judgement of the coaches when it's a player we like ??

Bottomline is, if he screws up, he's cut and the team losses nothing.

Not a 2nd round mistake. Not a 4th round mistake.

An UDFA mistake.

I guess if that's all we have to b*tch about, we should consider ourselves fortunate huh ??

A video like this tells a better story than a highlight reel.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKrdgwL7g0

Yes, he makes some big plays. But he isn't very disciplined. He runs himself out of the play, doesn't do a great job of maintaining his gaps, and he looks lost when asked to drop into coverage.

He's a project. I'm ok with it... but won't be the least bit surprised if he washes out.

Just a quick comment on that set of plays.... They are playing against an excellent offense in USC. He gets isolated and blocked a few times but that is more good execution by one of the better O-lines in college football than it is Burfict playing undisciplined...

I am really enjoying this pick-up. I'm rooting for Burfict after reading the ESPN article. Guy reminds me of Ricky Williams, given his shyness and such. If he smoked some weed (which is what I thinkhe tested pos for) then they can address that with some counseling and good locker room leadership. Get him with the right teammates and show him how to be a pro.

As an aside, this is where a guy like Dhani Jones would work wonders as a coaching assistant. Teach these young guys how to be professional athletes, get them to be functional adults working a full time job.

Not much was really exposed about Odell until it was too late. Hopefully, in today's internet age, they can proactively help Vontaze and bring him along.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6fhFL-tlE

Again... he made some plays. But there are some major deficiencies in his game as well - stupid penalties aside.

I have hope for the dude... but for those of you who think the Bengals are getting a 1st round talent, you probably need to manage those expectations. Based on what I see... he's a lot of hype because of the level of violence he plays with.

Even without the character questions, he looks more like a 3rd or 4th round pick to me.

we've seen them implode at the worst possible time (think Chad at halftime in the '05 playoff game).

exactly my point. And the Bengals go way back with this, at least back to Stanley Wilson. These guys just kill you right when you think that you can count on them. Odell himself Artested the Bengals defense. The Bengals built a team around Chad.

and the current Bengals have done a GREAT job of divesting themselves of this type. They're now down to PacMan and Rey, and PacMan doesn't have an important role, which is the way to handle these guys. But Rey's going to bite us in the first four games. No need to bring another one aboard

Takeo needs to lift his curse. Marvin's MLBers have been Kevin Hardy/Landon Johnson/Brian Simmons/Odell/Dhani/Rey. Enough is enough.

Perhaps Marvin has offered up something to Burfict along the lines of

1) Rey will almost certainly be suspended the first 4 games

2) Assuming you make it through minicamps, Camp, and the preseason - I will give you those 4 starts to show me you can play with high intensity AND control your emotions

3) If you do so for game 1, you get to continue in game 2, and so on

4) If you can't, Skuta takes your place, you become a backup, and you're cut when Rey returns

It appears others are also thinking along these lines

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/58036/could-burfict-end-up-starting-for-bengals

1) Rey is suspended the first 3 or 4 games

2) Assuming you make it through minicamps, Camp, and the preseason - I will give you those 3 or 4 starts to show me you can play with high intensity AND control your emotions

3) If you can't, you're cut when Rey returns

I HIGHLY doubt that.

I think it's more along the lines of:

"We believe you have some talent, and we're going to give you the chance to prove it. To do that, though, you're going to have to work your way from the bottom up and prove that you can be a professional. Nothing is going to be given to you."

1) Rey is suspended the first 3 or 4 games

2) Assuming you make it through minicamps, Camp, and the preseason - I will give you those 3 or 4 starts to show me you can play with high intensity AND control your emotions

3) If you can't, you're cut when Rey returns

I HIGHLY doubt that.

I think it's more along the lines of:

"We believe you have some talent, and we're going to give you the chance to prove it. To do that, though, you're going to have to work your way from the bottom up and prove that you can be a professional. Nothing is going to be given to you."

Cant't do it any other way. IMO THIS guy is the only one who sticks off the UDFA list.

I'm just saying - could Marvin have extended a carrot like that to help ensure that Burfict chose the Bengals?

The possibility of starting games 1 through 4?

I would guess it's a couple of things...

1) The ESPN article hinted that Marvin spent a lot of time with him before the draft. Often times, with kids like this, just showing them that you care and that you're interested is all it takes. They'll go to battle for you if they know that you genuinely care for their well-being.

2) We didn't draft any LBs...this means that the position is open for undrafted kids to come in and make the roster. If he were a DT, for example, then I'm guessing he'd have signed with a different team where he felt he had a better chance.

Is the kid off the beaten path ?? Absolutely., but Marvin is apparently comfortable with what the kid may be able to do here.

Do we only trust the judgement of the coaches when it's a player we like ??

Bottomline is, if he screws up, he's cut and the team losses nothing.

Not a 2nd round mistake. Not a 4th round mistake.

An UDFA mistake.

I guess if that's all we have to b*tch about, we should consider ourselves fortunate huh ??

My big problem here is the Bengals have never showed that they will cut ties with players who screw up as long as they also have talent. A lot of people say if anyone is equipped to handle these types its the Bengals because they have done it so many times, the problem is they screwed it up more than they have done well with them. If I believed the Bengals would cut him after 1 screw up, I would be 100% for this move. The problem is the second they flash talent he gets more chances.

But yes, as you said and I said, the fact that our most controversial pick is not a pick at all shows you just how good this draft was.