UDFA Signings

HoosierCat

Burflict is a f**king maniac. They'll get him cheap, and at the very least he'll probably explode someone's cranium on teams in year 1 before he implodes and gets kicked out of the league. Nothing to say about this pick other than "Mike f**king Brown".

Wow, you're going all to pieces because the Bengals,i.e., ML,Zim & Co. signed one of the more highly rated UDFAs at a position of some need. at the end of an outstanding draft. I hope Burfict gets his act together and succeeds as a Bengal. In fact, signing Burfict makes me very happy.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redeemer! But they need a LB BAD and I will root for him, since they have decided to completely ignore the position and overrate Skuta and Co.

Well Imo Moch still has ton upside and could make for a great slb...we still have muckleroy only LB truly unhappy with on our roster is skuta just think the guy is nate livings of our lb corps

/

Are you really unhappy that Skuta is a Bengal? He's a special teams ace and filled in admirably when Maualuga went down. And that makes you unhappy?

Here's the thing on Burfict...I am positive he had other suiters, even with his issues. The talent coursing there is too obvious to ignore for many teams, and UDFA is a nice place to take a chance on that.

So...that means he chose Cincy over other teams. Another sign that times are changing.

As for whether it was advisable? Yes, yes it was. Free lottery ticket with no downside. He messes up, he will likely be gone. He harnesses some of what he showed as a Junior? He effin' starts for this team. Soon.

Can someone really offer up b*tching in the thought of getting Burfict as an UDFA ??

Is the guy a complete idiot ?? Sure he has been recently for sure.

Does he play a little off at times and take penalties ?? He has.

However, all that aside, his talent alone had him once as the best LB in the draft and an easy first round pick.

Where's the downside in that ?? If he screws up, he's gone. Nothing lost.

HOWEVER, what if Zimmer finds a way to get through to the kid ??

Just what if that for a second or two.

I LOVE this UDFA signing !!!

At the very least, he can be a monster on ST's. Can always use a big hitter with attitude on kick coverage.

Look, go read the Burfict story on ESPn magazine. Aside from the weed positive, it is a touching story. Guy has shyness issues, self esteem issues. From a very had upbringing. If Marvin can help him develop as a man and get a purpose and be a pro, this guy could be very special. He reminds me of David Harris or even Demeco Ryans. IF he can simply settle in and be part of the family, he has all pro talent.

What I see is a guy who loves football but has development issues. Marvin knows when/where to take a risk. High return/low risk with Burfict. Consider Ahmad Brooks, took some time, and ultimately did not work here but Brooks is part o the best LB corp in the NFL in SF now.

I read that article too. Completely agree. I really hope it works out for him and us.

Bengals put time into these guys (Odell, Rey), hope they can be managed, eventually design their defensive scheme around them, and then wind up having to replace them at the last minute with street free agents as they serve their 4 game suspensions or full season suspensions, or maybe they die tragically.

bad upbringing? maybe. but the guy's been in a death spiral for two years and the combine performance was, frankly, a sign of insanity (a 5.1 40? if you were that out of shape, why on earth would you even show up for the combine instead of wait for a pro day???).

I'm reminded of a VERY good looking girl with obvious isssues but she was VERY good looking. four months later when I'm thinking about taking out a restraining order, I'm thinking never again with the mentals

I suspect chronic encephelapathy. the body might get back in shape but the head won't. look someplace else.

the combine performance was, frankly, a sign of insanity (a 5.1 40? if you were that out of shape, why on earth would you even show up for the combine instead of wait for a pro day???).

Yeah... but Burfict isn't the only player who made poor decisions related to the combine.

If Morris Claiborne has a learning disability and gets anxious when taking a test, why did his agent allow him to take the Wonderlic?

Why did Mike Adams smoke weed close enough to the combine to test positive, and then think he could get away with lying to teams about it?

Why did Andre Smith's agent allow him to run a 40 yard dash with his shirt off?

These guys are all in their early 20's, and they don't always make good decisions. In these cases their agents should have stepped in and told them how to behave.

I tend to think Burfict will wash out. He's got too many red flags. I'm thinking it'll be like Maurice Clarrett. Sad.

That said, if anyone knows how to handle a guy like this, it's Marvin. And who knows? Maybe going undrafted will be the kick in the ass this kid needs to realize that he's going to have to get his act together if he wants to play football professionally. He clearly thought that teams would look past his issues and draft him on potential. By now, he has to realize that his natural ability isn't enough to make it in the NFL.

A video like this tells a better story than a highlight reel.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKrdgwL7g0

Yes, he makes some big plays. But he isn't very disciplined. He runs himself out of the play, doesn't do a great job of maintaining his gaps, and he looks lost when asked to drop into coverage.

He's a project. I'm ok with it... but won't be the least bit surprised if he washes out.

Bengals put time into these guys (Odell, Rey), hope they can be managed, eventually design their defensive scheme around them, and then wind up having to replace them at the last minute with street free agents as they serve their 4 game suspensions or full season suspensions, or maybe they die tragically.

Yeah, my concerns are similar. I'm rooting for Vontaze but there's no question this could backfire badly.

Yeah, my concerns are similar. I'm rooting for Vontaze but there's no question this could backfire badly.

hand wringers.

All this talk about red flags, the dude failed a drug test period. He's agressive on the field and had a horrible combine but the reason for him falling out of the draft is mind boggling. The bengals got a no risk steal here with a super chip on his shoulder from being bashed on from just about every draft analyst. Im rooting for the kid and hope he proves em wrong, not because he's a bengal either. Any one of our division rivals (esp baltimore) would have scooped him as an UDFA if they could.

All this talk about red flags, the dude failed a drug test period.

No. There are a lot of red flags... not just the failed drug test.

His work ethic was questioned prior to the combine... and he showed up so out of shape that it was confirmed.

He's a hot head on the field. He had to be benched by HC Dennis Erickson multiple times throughout the season because he couldn't control his emotions and would get multiple 15 yard personal fouls.

It was also reported that he was divisive in the locker room.

All of that, in addition to the fact that he was often out of position and took a lot of bad angles in 2011 - and there were plenty of reasons he fell out of the draft.

He's got a lot of potential, but the number of red flags surrounding him makes me think it's going to be an uphill battle for him. I won't be surprised if he doesn't make the team. But the Bengals need some LB help... so I hope he gets his s**t together.

VONTAZE BURFICT - ILB - ARIZONA STATE (No. 202 Overall) *POTENTIAL 4-3 OUTSIDE LINEBACKER*

STRENGTHS: He is a violent football player with some real explosion as he makes contact with the ball carrier. He is athletic enough to make plays and he has good range. Burfict had good size to play the Mike linebacker position. He will not shy away from contact and can be a physical force. He is going to be an intimidating player on the field.

WEAKNESSES: He has some very real character concerns and loses his temper on the field. He is prone to take bad penalties. Plays at a position where he needs to get guys lined up properly and can’t do that well when he gets emotional. Burfict looked lethargic at the combine and his pro day giving off an air of apathy. He needs to go to the right situation where veterans can control him as he learns.

OVERALL: Burfict started the year as a top prospect but has seen his draft stock fall due to poor production and increased character issues. Currently carries a sixth-round grade

Good points there, all those flags are a matter of coaching him up, and I'm excited to at least see some preseason with him. Vontaze is a wall on the goal line. Remember this isn't a mikey redeemer pick, Marvin talked to him for a long time at his pro-day. This is Marvins doing and if he thinks he can get something out of him, lets see what happens. This is by far the player I will be watching the most during camp/preseason. And let's be honest it wouldn't be hard to take the job from Mauluga who, IMO, is an average mlb. I just think he can be fixed and I'm glad he came to Cincy.

According to reports, Marvin has spent a lot of time talking to the kid. I'll trust that he knows what he's getting himself into.

I doubt it will pan out, but it's worth a shot. If we hadn't taken him there are a ton of others teams that would have...

That's my understanding Marvin spent a lot of time with him. Maybe he knows something nobody else knows lol.