Bengals vs. Jets

PatsFanTX

ive been posting on the jets board somewhat today.  Pretty good stuff so far.  They dont flame and are pretty educated.

We try ;)

He wasn't talking about you, Smizzy. :)

Y'all are about to get pounced. You're overlooking us and you're going to pay for it.

Besides, home field advantage has to mean as much to Jets fans as it does to Mets fans. Both franchises are like the ugly step children teams in town.

BTW... This is all in good fun, which I am sure you know. I agree with you, though, it should prove to be a tough match up.

WHO DEY!

You must have me confused with someone who takes the Bengals lightly.

did you see my 2 threads here? did you read any of my post's over on JI?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at this game if you base anythinhgon he past 2 seasons you see both teams have played awful in September. This seaosn both teams start off with a 1st time starters, but Pennintong has a 96 QB Rating, has a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, is playing at home, and is already the leader of the Jets. Palmer has to come in for his first career start, still has to complete his first career pass(pre-season does not count), and will have some nerves.

Both teams had awful run D last year. The Jets have added a lot of new pieces and a new DC. They look a lot faster in pre-season with a very vanilla D. I am hopeful that will carry over to more success in the regular season. The Benglas with a full year under ML should be improved also. Martin is healthy for the first time to start a season in 3 years and look for him to have abig game.

The Jets WR get the advantage because Penningotn has great accuracy and has a good vibe with Moss and Chrebet(who is expected to play) and Justin has looked solid in practice and preseason. Jets will win this battle. Kitna through a great deep ball and that takes time to get together on -- look for Palmer to struggle early on with timing on the deep routes -- he will make mistakes when under pressure early and throw some balls to the wrong team.

Look for the Jets to control the ball and get ahead early. Fun game for the Jets -- Jets 27 - Bengals 13.

Looking at this game if you base anythinhgon he past 2 seasons you see both teams have played awful in September.  This seaosn both teams start off with a 1st time starters, but Pennintong has a 96 QB Rating, has a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, is playing at home, and is already the leader of the Jets.  Palmer has to come in for his first career start, still has to complete his first career pass(pre-season does not count), and will have some nerves.

Both teams had awful run D last year. The Jets have added a lot of new pieces and a new DC.  They look a lot faster in pre-season with a very vanilla D. I am hopeful that will carry over to more success in the regular season.  The Benglas with a full year under ML should be improved also.  Martin is healthy for the first time to start a season in 3 years and look for him to have  abig game.

The Jets WR get the advantage because Penningotn has great accuracy and has a good vibe with Moss and Chrebet(who is expected to play) and Justin has looked solid in practice and preseason.  Jets will win this battle.  Kitna through a great deep ball and that takes time to get together on -- look for Palmer to struggle early on with timing on the deep routes -- he will make mistakes when under pressure early and throw some balls to the wrong team.

Look for the Jets to control the ball and get ahead early.  Fun game for the Jets  -- Jets 27 - Bengals 13.

I think the key will be how many pts. the Bengals can put on the board. If they only come up with 13 then you can chalk it up as a L for the Whodey Men. I am voting for 27+. Rudi has looked good in Pre-season. And you can discount pre-season for Palmer but he has been accurate and threw with confidence. I see Rudi with 100+ and Palmer with at least 2 TD throws. Being on the road scares me for Palmer. Not sure if he has experiences anything like the Jets fans will throw at him.

How is Martin running this pre-season? Do the Jets fans see any let down from Penny with his fat contract? Easy to do that.

Martin has looked fantastic in pre-season -- he looks quick to the lone and keeps his feet moving forward...he will find the holes and the OL is very strong with the pick up of Kendall. He rushed for 1300 yrds last year after rushing for nothing in the first 4. With Penny at QB he avg. 98 ypg -- i look for a fast start this year from him.

Penny is a gym rat and loves to play the game. The contract will do nothing but make him more focused to win in NY to show everyone that he is worth the money. He is a fantastic player, a leader, and loves the game. Look for a fantastic season from Penny.

Even with lousy run D the last 2 years the Jets still held opponents to under 20 pts a game. I don;t see a 1st time starter getting more than 20.

Hello everyone. Huge Jet fan here. My prediction for this game is: Bengals 24, Jets 21 :( . I think that many Jet fans are underestimating Cincy. Plus, NY has its own questions. Chrebet has not played since mid-way through last season, McCareins is still new, Moss may be rusty, and McGraw & Mickens probably won't play. Add in the big question mark that is possible bust DT Dewayne Robertson........ can the Jets stop R Johnson? Should be close, either way.

Palmer has to come in for his first career start, still has to complete his first career pass(pre-season does not count), and will have some nerves.

Kitna through a great deep ball and that takes time to get together on -- look for Palmer to struggle early on with timing on the deep routes -- he will make mistakes when under pressure early and throw some balls to the wrong team.

Look for the Jets to control the ball and get ahead early. Fun game for the Jets -- Jets 27 - Bengals 13.

Palmer is more poised than you think, he has a great mind for the game in that he doesn't let anything get to him, success or failure. He may be a little nervous, but that should go away once he gets into the flow of the game.

Thinking that Kitna threw a great deep ball shows that you have to pay a little more attention to the Bengals. Kitna was the master of the dump off throw, or the quick out. Rarely threw deep, was only marginally successful when he did. As a Jets fan you may think he throws a good deep ball cause the last time he played against the Jets he threw 2 INTs on "deep" passes. I was there and Palmer would have made those throws if he had been around then.

The Jets may get ahead early, Pennington is a great QB and I don't see him letting his new contract slow him down any, but our run D has improved. On our side we should be able to use our running game to keep Chad off the field and minimize our chances of him burning our secondary.

It will be a fun game, but don't get carried away with the score. It should be a 3 point game, and it could go either way.

Keys will have to be stopping the quick pass from Pennington. He doesn't take a lot of 5 and 7 step drops, so getting our D-line to keep their hands up to force tipped passes could lead to a couple picks. Pennington wasn't exactly Mr.Accurate last year after coming back from injury and can throw picks in bunches ala- Kitna.

- We'll be able to run for several reasons.

1. Our Right side is absolutely huge and I think our preseason showed how dominating both fullbacks and Tony Stewart can be blocking at the point of attack.

2. Hey the Jets guy said it himself- All that talent on the Jets D. - John A. ( 1st rd ) Shaun E. ( 1st rd. ) Dewayne R. ( 1st rd. ) but no production.

3. Injuries to Mickens and McGraw mean Cincy could keep Jets spread out all game long and go single back and seriously dictate with 3-wide receiver sets. Mickens loss will hurt because he's probably the best nickel corner in the game. McGraw loss means a backup safety will be the 8 man in the box - advantage Cincy !

As a moderator here, I notice the general class displayed, and football knowlege included in the posts of fans of upcoming opponents teams who visit this forum. I gotta say these visiting New York Jet fans are a major upgrade from most of what we encountered from the Buccaneers fanbase that was recently here!

You Jet's fans have posted with good stats and pertinenent data on both teams and key players, not to mention a realistic and football friendly attitude! Must be great fans of the game. Thanks for making the moderators job here easy.

Do you regulars here remember few weeks back when those Buc's fan's arrived with little more than contempt for anyone NOT wearing a Buc's jersey. A few seemed to have chips on their shoulders, not much knowlege of other teams player and stats, and a profane vocabulary that was almost limited to about 20 to 30 words, with the two most utilized being "Bengals" and the other being "Suck!" In that order too!

The Atlanta fan's were very good too, just way fewer of them. I think I only saw one Colt fan post here about the game with Indy. He must have been okay because I can't recall a thing he said!

Anyway I'd like to say that the Jet's Insiders.com leads in the my unofficial "Most Classy Rival Fans Site" contest! :D

As a moderator here, I notice the general class displayed, and football knowlege included in the posts of fans of upcoming opponents teams who visit this forum. I gotta say these visiting New York Jet fans are a major upgrade from most of what we encountered from the Buccaneers fanbase that was recently here!

You Jet's fans have posted with good stats and pertinenent data on both teams and key players, not to mention a realistic and football friendly attitude! Must be great fans of the game. Thanks for making the moderators job here easy.

Do you regulars here remember few weeks back when those Buc's fan's arrived with little more than contempt for anyone NOT wearing a Buc's jersey. A few seemed to have chips on their shoulders, not much knowlege of other teams player and stats, and a profane vocabulary that was almost limited to about 20 to 30 words, with the two most utilized being "Bengals" and the other being "Suck!" In that order too!

The Atlanta fan's were very good too, just way fewer of them. I think I only saw one Colt fan post here about the game with Indy. He must have been okay because I can't recall a thing he said!

Anyway I'd like to say that the Jet's Insiders.com leads in the my unofficial "Most Classy Rival Fans Site" contest!  :D

Mr. Chairman ( billybroome :lol: ) - I'd like to go on record and say that i whole-heartedly concur that the Jets Fans have been quite the affluence of true Football demeanor.

- Although they currently represent the very scurge of existence until Sept.13th, I too have enjoyed their tid-bits of related mumbo - jumbo.

As for Indy fans, when have they ever said anything of significance.

As for Bucs Fans, - I have to believe that the " FOOTBALL GODS " were tailgating somewhere and forgot about that SuperBowl!!

- Teams that should not ever win the Superbowl ,

1. Browns

2. Titans (aka - Oilers)

3. Buccaneers - ( serious slip up there guys : really ! )

- the ban on the Atlanta Falcons has been lifted, because Dan Reeves is no longer they're coach. - However Mike Vick is still the most overhyped NFL player that ever existed!

2. Hey the Jets guy said it himself- All that talent on the Jets D. - John A. ( 1st rd ) Shaun E. ( 1st rd. ) Dewayne R. ( 1st rd. ) but no production.

Definitely the key to the game. Mainly the interior of the line, which often got gutted. The outside is solid, bordering on all-pro with Abraham/Ellis. The inside is the big ? and definitly where Rudi could do the most damage.

The question is do the following factors improve the situation immediatly or not:

1. New D-coordinator - Plays more aggressively

2. 2 out of 3 new LB's replacing Lewis and Jones who were too slow to fill gaps

3. Return of Josh Evans(our main run stopper) and 2nd year development of Robertson(who was nothing more than average last year)

4. New D-line coach - Rubin Carter did nothing to develop any of the d-line talent. Hopefully the new guy(Marcin) has been teaching technique since April.

The pass rush could be pretty impressive.

if mcgraw doesn't play they will use coleman and tongue -- coleman was starting anyway anf tongue was our free agent pick up that was injure during camp and lost his spot to to coleman. He will be fine in place of mcgraw.

as for the D Line -- ellis/abe are fantastic , with evans in the game the jets run D will be improved and our LB are a lot faster and more active than the last 3 years.

With Vilma, Hobson, Barton, and Cowart @ LB we won;t have any sideline to sideline issues we have had in years past. Don't expect a big 150 yard game out of johnson.

If the Jets jump out early Palmer could be forced to play catch up with his arm and that play to the Jets. I just don't see this game being as close as some think.

Just saw this injury update for the Jets, looks like they will be less than optimal in the secondary, particularly at the safeties:

"Mickens is the only player whom coach Herman Edwards declared as out for Sunday. FS Jon McGraw (groin) is doubtful, meaning free-agent pickup Reggie Tongue and rookie Erik Coleman will likely start at the safety spots. WR Wayne Chrebet (quad/knee) remains questionable and hopes to have a full practice tomorrow. DT Josh Evans (back) is also questionable. WR Jonathan Carter (ankle/knee), FB B.J. Askew (shoulder) and DE Bryan Thomas (hamstring), CB Donnie Abraham (knee), LB Darrell McClover (ankle) are all probable."

If history is any guide, this one promises to be 1) close and 2) ugly.

Bengals and Jets have met 18 times; Jets hold a 12-6 lead in the series. Average points have favored the Jets, about 25-22.

For both teams, the "S" in September stands for SUCK. Since Herm took over in NY, the Jets are a pathetic 2-8 in September. Of course, over the same time frame, the Bengals are a pathetic 2-8 in September. This could end up being one of those 6-8 turnovers, missed FGs, dropped passes frightfests in which each team earnestly tries to give the game to the other, who steadfastly refuses to take it.

Opening day hasn't been kind to either team recently, either. The Jets are 4-6 over their last 10 opening days, the Bengals 3-7. Ominously for the Jets, they have not won a home game on opening day in that time; all four of their wins came on the road. (The last time the Jets won at home on opening day was 1991 vs. Tampa). The Bengals have one on the road on opening day once in the last 10 years, 1995 vs the Colts.

I'll take the Bengals in an ugly 27-20 win.

EDIT: sorry, had to cut that short before I got this in: the last time around, week 15, 2001.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2001/12/17/ben...bengals_14.html

I remember that game. I was hanging with my Jet friend down at Champs in the menlo park Mall. When the Jets were efing up left and right he screamed "f--k it" and started ordering shots. That would have been good except he was into to Jagermeister and Lemon Drops at the time...<<<shudder>>>. Anyhow, I told him not to worry, the Bengals would screw it up somehow, and of course they did.

Still, one has to take heart that the last time we played them we started Akili Smith and had to put in Jon Kitna with a bum finger...and we still almost beat 'em.

...and no sooner do I finish the above then sportsline.com's Harmon forecast weighs in with its first-week picks:

*N.Y. Jets 14 Cincinnati 13 - Call this an upset, because the Jets rank 29th in opening-day winning percentage. All eyes will be on Bengals rookie QB Carson Palmer, but N.Y. has won the last four games in this series, most recently in '01.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/5656846

Personally, I'd say we're due... :player:

How is Martin running this pre-season? Do the Jets fans see any let down from Penny with his fat contract? Easy to do that.

WestCoastMole here. Another Jet Fan

Martin has looked very good in camp. Got more work than he did in the last two camps combined. He is healthy and running well.

As to Pennington and his contract going to his head he's not that type of guy. He loves the game and he's happy in New York. Last Friday Bollinger lead the Jets to 3 straight TDs to rally the team from a 27-7 deficit to a 28-27 win . The last TD was scored with 8 ticks left on the clock. It was preseason with 3rd stringers. Chad was on the sideline going nuts.

This could end up being one of those 6-8 turnovers, missed FGs, dropped passes frightfests in which each team earnestly tries to give the game to the other, who steadfastly refuses to take it.

Sounds like a freakin' spectacle.

I'm psyched for it.

Here's to hoping Braham can go cause w/ Szalay out for the year we'll have a seriously makeshift center to snap the GD ball if anything happens to Larry Moore. :wacko:

*N.Y. Jets 14 Cincinnati 13 - Call this an upset, because the Jets rank 29th in opening-day winning percentage. All eyes will be on Bengals rookie QB Carson Palmer, but N.Y. has won the last four games in this series, most recently in '01.

That little tidbit of info/prediction omits one piece of relative data for this particular game.

The Bengals and Jets have met twice before in their team histories for season opening games. The Bengals have surprisingly won BOTH of them!

So in a way, the Jets are also due! B)

That little tidbit of info/prediction omits one piece of relative data for this particular game.

The Bengals and Jets have met twice before in their team histories for season opening games. The Bengals have surprisingly won BOTH of them!

So in a way, the Jets are also due! B)

Come on...stop with the smoke festival

The over/under on this game is 39. Both defenses are that good ?

Sounds like ONeal is penciled in at CB along w/ Braham at C. It seemed like that Bauman pick-up was prompted by ONeal not being able to go, but he must be good enough for the 53-man for ML regardless.

No more PRs for ONeal. Just a whole lot of Moss :P

Steinbach is apparently out with Moore in his place. Moore is no Steinbach but he's been respectacle so far.