Bengals vs. Jets

PatsFanTX

As I have stated over and over again:

ONE 8-8 MEDIOCRE SEASON ISN'T GOING TO DO IT.  I need playoffs baby.  The cup is still empty as I walk through the Sahara as a fan of this team.

;)

Yea Everybody needs to see a play-offs Team before we can say we are back.

But If 8-8 is EMPTY....WTF would a 0-16 season be ?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have stated over and over again:

ONE 8-8 MEDIOCRE SEASON ISN'T GOING TO DO IT.  I need playoffs baby.  The cup is still empty as I walk through the Sahara as a fan of this team.

;)

Yea Everybody needs to see a play-offs Team before we can say we are back.

But If 8-8 is EMPTY....WTF would a 0-16 season be ?

Ok--I'll just go ahead and say it:

Same ole Bungles.

• 2 weeks later...

...hey all ...

...big nyjets fan here...

...i'm excited to get the regular season under way and it seems like i've been waiting forever for september 12th to get here & have you guys come into town...

...one of the great things about this time of year is that none of us have any losses and the new season has the potential for any of our teams to get our there and really make us proud...

...most of you sound like you believe your team will win our game as the majority of us on the jets sites believe we will win...

...it should be pretty interesting ... one of the things i'm thanksful for is it will be palmers first game... with any new qb we are hoping that he makes a couple of mistakes... you know as the year goes on he will get more seasoned and do nothing but get better and better...

...what have you all gotten from his preseason performances last year and this, and his practice sessions? ...does he seem to be making good decisions with the ball? or is the "d" picking him off alot, or are his judgements pretty sound with the rock?

...we had been calling for pennington to get in after riding the bench for 2&1/4 year behind vinnie & by the time he came in it seemed like he was ready for the speed of the nfl game ... that may be exactly the same that happens with palmer...

...i agree with what alot of you have said about expecting mostly run ... the jets run defense was horrible last year, and with a new defensive coordinator, new scheme, 2 new lb's 1 new safty & 1 new cb there is a good chance that it will take our "d" a couple of games before they jell together ... so on that side of the ball it may be a good defense for palmer to open up against...

that probable will be what makes the difference in the game

(palmer vs. donnie henderson ...jets defensive coordinator)

whoever seems to adjust to their new position better

...looking forward to the game fellas...

l_j_r

Why should the JETS fear CARSON PALMER he has yet to prove he is NFL able..But they should worry about are new secondary, which i think is much improved...Should be a good game...

Welcome Lamont Jordan, you're right...he rules!! I've been impressed with him all along and I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves. Great post by the way, having lived in NJ for a bit I must say that the Jets fans are usually the easiest of the bunch to put up with. Much better than the Giants or the E-A-G-L-E-S

Eagles, whose fans can't seem to stop chanting that no matter where they are or what time of year it is. I heard it at a Devils game and a Dave Mathews concert at the Tweeter center about 3 weeks ago!!

We also have 2 new DB's with CB Deltha O'Neal and Safety Kim Herring, and a new LB with Nate Webster who will take time to gel. What I'm concerned about with the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets is our lack of a pass rush so far and Pennington's Sniper like accuracy.

Of course, being a Bengals fan I think we're going to be able to win with a ball control type offensive scheme running Rudi and Perry all day and letting Palmer loose on occasion to keep your D honest. It'll be a close, hard fought game and a great way to start off the season.

Good luck against the Patriots and Dillon twice this year!!

Barb Im embarassed as a Bengal fan to hear you call yourself one. Please for ythe sake of us "real" fans stop now! You are nothing more than some jerk who posts at a bengals fan website. I can understand being pissed at Mike Brown but that does not explain you. So please just refer to yourself as a football or NFL fan and not a bengals fan.

And well I see this game being won by the bengals for a variety of reasons.

Our WRs will eat up your DBs more so than yours will be able to.

Im guessing that our O Line if healthy will provide easily over 150 yards rushing and eating up lots of clock.

I still see Marvin keeping the turnover ratio in our favor even with Palmer under the center. Dont look for many pics here because of my first reason.

Also, even though our DL wasn't great last year it has remained the same. Same coaching and same DL means that they will hit the gaps better and work together better.

...kirk ... thanks :) ...

...bax ... i hope you're right, but you guys know anything can happen ... it's funny how winning seems to feed off itself as well as losing ... one of horrible traits the jets seemed to have more often then not was losing seasons most of the time until parcells got here for us. he shed our ghosts and brought us to 9-7,12-4,8-8 (when testeverde tore his achilles), then with al groh and bill as gm i believe we went 9-7 then 2 decent year under herm 10-6,9-7, to last year debacle 6-10 ... long story short parcells came in shook up the organization and really changed the attitudes and way of thinking for the owners, coaches, players & fans ... it looks like marvin lewis is doing this to your organization ... i hope it continues (weeks 2-17 ;) ) ... don't be surprised if it does ... cause ... winning does breed winning...

...semi... palmer seems talented ... i don't think fear is what the jets will have for him, but hopefully respect for his ability ... as long as they realize that he will be potentially dangerous while still focusing on the running ability your team posesses i believe the jets will have a decent chance. the fact that it is in the meadowlands may allow us a little better than 3 point vegas advantage with noise for his first start...

...as far as your secondary, i haven't followed other teams outside the afc east too much ... didn't realize you've had some changes back there as well. penningtons main abilities are uncanny accuracy on the short to mid-range throws as well as great play action fakes... i'm sure he'll launch a couple deep ...but i don't expect him to challenge your secondary too much on that count...

...wookie... have to laugh, memories of star wars (when it was good ... before phantom menace stole a little piece of my childhood from me :( ) ... do you still live in nj?? ... i have been living in atlanta for the last 3 or so years ... i love it down here ... many hot chicks around B) ... but it makes catching jet games difficult. i'm actually heading back up north to visit my folks for labor day weekend and catching the u.s. open tennis and jets / giants preseason game ... but usually only make it back up for about 2 / 3 games a year ... interesting that a couple of you question your secondary as do we ... pennington's accuracy could be our best weapon if he has time to make his decisions look out ... curtis martin started out slow last season & if he does again this year, you all will be able to key on the pass.

...the whole thing with lamont is a double edged sword for me ... cause i believe he has soooo much talent & i've been pushing to have the jets play this guy for years ... with c-mart in there though he hardly ever touches the ball ... this is his last season on his contract & he will go somewhere else and really shine next year as the jets wont be able to afford him & curtis under the cap. probably similar to what happened to you guys with johnson & dillon this year ... jordan's style (while he is not quite as talented as) reminds me of earl campbell ....that is my favorite thing about him ... he just takes the ball and smashes it down your throat ... while still having the speed to hit the corner if he so chooses. remember my words when he tears up the league next year (please for anyone but miami :o )...

...chad ... possibly true ... we've been impressed with what mccairens has shows this year as a #2 along with santana moss but he still is new to our system and may not be as smooth as we'd like by opening day. also our secondary is suspect ... if your o-line can protect your qb it may be a long day for us. one big thing donnie henderson has been preaching is a more aggressive d (every new defensive coordinator seems to say this)... it that is true ... they must make it to palmer or else we could well be in danger deep...

...should be interesting guys ... thanks for the replies...

l_j_r

you'll have to forgive Barbarian, he's not just a glass half empty guy - he's more a glass is just completely empty guy

Then buy the man a beer!

you'll have to forgive Barbarian, he's not just a glass half empty guy - he's more a glass is just completely empty guy

Then buy the man a beer!

There ya go--a Scot with a plan!!! Leave it to either a Scot or an Irishman to make that suggestion.

I like ya'all Highlanders, even though you do wear a skirt and play golf all day.

:lol:

Just kidding.

Watching the Jets personally give warner the starting job yesterday was very interesting. Everyone knows the jets have an explosive offense with pennington back behind center and healthy and Moss/McCairens as a nice tandem combined by Martin's solid running. But their defense is improving and it showed. But, i think the jets showed too much in the preseason game vs the giants....it was like the d-cordinator wanted to prove rookies shouldnt start their first year out. He showed alot of schemes and coverages which i think will help us prepare more for their defense than they can prepare for ours.

Bengals 27-Jets 20 =)

Jets got a glimpse of what we'll give them right off the bat vs. Giants. Play action fake on 1st play and hit the TE for 30+ yds. Their LBs froze stupid and their FS barely got there.

Only we got that fake reverse dive play that's been run over and over again the first 2 pre-season games and should be able to hit Chad deep off of it or a second option behind the LBs.

But Donnie Abraham at CB does in fact look like he's returned to Pro-Bowl form.

Jets D looked better than it really is last night thanks to the Giants' o-line (one of the worst in football, IMHO) and the Giants' QBs, washed-up stockboy Warner and rookie Manning. They try that blitz-happy-crappy on us (and they will, at least to begin with) and Palmer will eat them alive.

Tiki Barber looked like a fool trying to pick up the blitz.

Pennington looked a whole lot better the 1st game than vs. Giants.

If we contain Martin, we kill the Jets because the Jets WRs w/ or w/o Moss don't impress and their D won't stop our run. Plus Palmer should be able to spread it around and connect on a big play or two.

The broadcast showed that Martin has scored just 1 run TD and avg. less than 50 yards rushing in the first 5 games of the season for the past 2 years. Here's to that trend continuing B)

I do not take any team lightly, and do not expect the Jets to either. This game should be an excellent match up. The bengals are definately an improved team from last year. So are the Jets. I expect this to be a very close game possibly ending in OT.

I cant wait to get to the stadium for this one.

The Jets have been impressive, they are improved and have played well in preseason.

Correct me if I am wrong on this.....

Doesn't the new Jets Defense look a Lot like what we saw in last night's game ?

Lots of Blitzing....

Eight and nine guys up in the box.....

Switching back and forth from a 3-4 to a 4-3.....

It was very nice of the Falcon's to give us a good look at it in the preseason.

The blitzing that killed the Bengals vs. Falcons was their FS Bryan Scott, who seemed ungodly fast. The Jets FS is no where near that fast.

Plus, the Falcs blitzed their nickel back and had some success with LB blitzes. That kind of mayhem will help Palmer adjust better, although I thought he passed well with the pressure and made good choices considering he was short 3 of his best receivers.

The Jets might be better w/ 8 in the box vs. the run w/ either of their SS than the Falcs.

3-4 wise, I only recall 1 set vs. the Falcs on 3rd down. I thought they stuck pretty much w/ 3 LBs. The Jets might use it more.

The Key to beating the Jets will still be to run the football, and limit the amount of Throws Carson will have to make.

Average amount of offensive plays in an NFL game is 65 snaps. We're going to need at least 40 running plays to keep Pennington and his offense off the field long enough to make Palmers' 25 attempts fruitful.

We don't have to beat a team like the Jets with a lot of big passing plays, Just keep throwing running back after running back at their almost as weak rush defense and the game should take care of itself.