1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

I think everyone who is so dead-set on taking a G like DeCastro is going to be disappointed. Not saying it won't happen, but too many people are acting as if we HAVE TO do that if he is available. There is no player we HAVE TO take.

When it comes to DeCastro, it's one of those situations where they would be silly to pass on him.

I'm just looking at the Bengals history of not taking guards in the 1st round, and I understand that thinking. You can find guards later in the draft that will be perfectly fine and dependable players for many years. While there are always exceptions, I think other positions tend to fall off in quality far more quickly.

Yep, you can find Guards in the later rounds. Can you, or more specifically the Bengals, find dominant ones in the later rounds ?? Because it doesn't appear they have been real successful in that endeavor. So why not take one that is considered a can't miss by all accounts ?? I mean something obviously should change in that thought process.

Mel Kiper (for what it's worth) says the weakest positions in this draft are TE, OT, and S. The Deepest positions are WR, OG, DT, OLB, and CB.

Anyone notice that the draft is the deepest where the Bengals have needs? :cheers:

This is something that continually puts a smile on my face when I try to think about what they will do come draft day.

I am less convinced they take a RB early. Martin is a good propsect but 21 is too high to take him, considering who else will probably be there. Plus, I have to think that some guys will drop, so getting good value at 21 cleaning up the stragglers who've dropped will give them lots of options.

Oh, I agree. I mention the possibility of Martin just because they are supposedly very high on him and there's pretty much zero chance he lasts until 53. He may even sneak into the first. So I can see them just saying, screw it, we're taking the guy we want -- and provoking Mel Kiper into another apoplectic fit about value. It isn't like they haven't done it before (see Jones, Levi). But I wouldn't say I'm expecting it.

I can say this, minus a trade down in the first, gaining an additional second round pick, if DeCastro isn't there or they pass, I could envision not even drafting an OG. I know, heart be still, but I don't really see much after the 2nd round as being an upgrade to what they already have.

I think everyone who is so dead-set on taking a G like DeCastro is going to be disappointed. Not saying it won't happen, but too many people are acting as if we HAVE TO do that if he is available. There is no player we HAVE TO take.

I don't think there is anyone saying they "HAVE TO" take any player.

When it comes to DeCastro, it's one of those situations where they would be silly to pass on him.

#1. He may be the safest pick in the whole draft.

#2. He is head and shoulders the most dominant lineman to come out in forever.

#3. OG is a huge glaring hole unless you just really love Jacob Bell. (see garbage)

#4. It would seem like protecting Dalton, while trying to improve the running game, would be of great benefit.

Just me, but there aren't many players I expect to be there that would present both value and need at #17 more than DeCastro. He would certainly be the BPA based on who "should" be there. Then again, maybe everyone is happy with the continued effort of manning the interior of the o-line with 4th rounders or later.

Nothing is a must have, but there are smart moves that could be made and while DeCastro wouldn't be the sexy pick immediately, I think people would be happy when they seeing a high functioning offense capable of controlling the clock.

Also, welcome to the board SunDevil !!!

I didn't say they shouldn't take DeCastro. I'm just warning people to not be surprised if they pass on him. I can just imagine the fits people are going to have when that happens and I am saying they shouldn't be all that upset about it. I would love to have DeCastro, but there are other players I would love to have too and wont be upset. There are top players available at some premium positions where we have needs.

The reason I mention Stephen Hill at #21 - other than our need for a starting WR - is because Marvin is always talking about the need to increase the number of explosive plays on offense and talks about how hard it is to defend threats like Mike Wallace and Torrey Smith. Hill is a freak who could provide that threat.

Yep, you can find Guards in the later rounds. Can you, or more specifically the Bengals, find dominant ones in the later rounds ??

In THIS draft? Yes, I think so. There are plenty of very solid guys that will go in the 3rd/4th round. I don't think the Bengals getting a "dominant" guard v. a "very solid/good" guard will make the difference between making or not making the playoffs.

Finding a very good #2 receiver to take the heat off of Green, on the other hand...

But, like others have said, the Bengals don't have any glaring needs to fill outside of possibly CB. I'll be happy with pretty much anything in round 1 assuming it's not a horrific reach. If they think Decastro is best available at that point, then I won't complain.

#1. He may be the safest pick in the whole draft.

#2. He is head and shoulders the most dominant lineman to come out in forever.

#3. OG is a huge glaring hole unless you just really love Jacob Bell. (see garbage)

#4. It would seem like protecting Dalton, while trying to improve the running game, would be of great benefit.

Just me, but there aren't many players I expect to be there that would present both value and need at #17 more than DeCastro. He would certainly be the BPA based on who "should" be there. Then again, maybe everyone is happy with the continued effort of manning the interior of the o-line with 4th rounders or later.

Nothing is a must have, but there are smart moves that could be made and while DeCastro wouldn't be the sexy pick immediately, I think people would be happy when they seeing a high functioning offense capable of controlling the clock.

Also, welcome to the board SunDevil !!!

I do agree that an interior lineman is a big area of need.

However, Decastro is a solid r1 pick but let's not act like he is the most dominant lineman in yars. Joe Thomas and Jake Long would disagree, as would Ryan Clady.

As for safest pick in the draft, most would agree that Luck is a sure thing, as is Kalil and Richardson. I'm not saying Decastro is mincemeat but lets keep things in perspective.

I guess it all depends on who you want to believe huh ??

Maybe I should have specified most dominant "interior" o-lineman ??

From all accounts, most see him as a Steve Hutchinson type player in this draft class and while there may be solid type guys available later, they are not DeCastro. Again, why bother with a 3rd round Guard ?? Who probably isn't any better than what they already have ??

Any OG isn't going to mean playoffs vs. no playoffs, but I would argue no player drafted would do that.

A #2 WR ?? Sure, i've been mentioning that for some time as well, but they won't take us to the playoffs on their own either.

That is exactly why I was saying how many different ways they could go with their picks earlier.

I can say this, minus a trade down in the first, gaining an additional second round pick, if DeCastro isn't there or they pass, I could envision not even drafting an OG. I know, heart be still, but I don't really see much after the 2nd round as being an upgrade to what they already have.

Just looing closely at the OG spot, here are three/four guys who will be there from r3-r5 whose grades approach Decastro's.

Brandon Brooks - Miami (OH) - http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/brandon-brooks-56/

Jeff Allen - Illinois - http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/jeff-allen-71/

Kevin Zeitler - Wsiconsin - http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/kevin-zeitler-70/

Amini Silatolu - Midwestern State - http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/amini-silatolu-57/

I'd argue that any of these could come in and start and do well, especially Brooks and Allen, and that any of them would be an upgrade to what they have now.

Kevin Zeitler - Wsiconsin - http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/kevin-zeitler-70/

Amini Silatolu - Midwestern State - http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/amini-silatolu-57/

I'd argue that any of these could come in and start and do well, especially Brooks and Allen, and that any of them would be an upgrade to what they have now.

Silatolu has been a late riser. Some have him going as a late 1st rounder (it's also rumored that the Bengals are very high on him).

Zeitler is also pretty consistently viewed as being drafted in the middle of the 2nd round.

But you're right. Between DeCastro, Glenn, Osemele, Silatolu, Zietler, and Brandon Washington... this is a very deep class of OGs. There will starting quality OGs available in the 2nd and 3rd round (perhaps later) should the Bengals choose to pass on OG in the 1st.

If the conversation is about there only being so many true first round players, DeCastro surely fits that label.

If the others are viewed by the organization as providing an upgrade, then i'm cool with it.

As for Coples, I could see it happening. DE wouldn't surprise me in the least for the first round.

It will be a HUGE need come 2013 if it's not addressed.

would be Floyd and Decastro.

I just can't see them burning a 1st round pick on a wideout when we have so many more areas of need. Gimme linemen!

WR is kinda a vast wasteland opposite AJ. If Floyd is there, I want him.

Well I havent given up on shipley,we still need someone who can stretch the field on the other side of AJ.but i feel having shipley back is going to help the passing game alot he finds wholes in defenses and has good hands.

The problem is that, after punter, Guard is the position least likely to sell tickets post-draft. Which is why the cynical side of me doesn't see it happening.

Hope it does though, I like me some line. Keep Dalton's jersey clean and save on laundry costs.

I dunno about other fans but id be likely wanna buy tickets going guard in the first if it was bpa then reaching on a more flashy but lower quality player...you wanna run the ball? You wanna keep dalton clean? Then take a linemen

I just can't see them burning a 1st round pick on a wideout when we have so many more areas of need. Gimme linemen!

Well I havent given up on shipley,we still need someone who can stretch the field on the other side of AJ.but i feel having shipley back is going to help the passing game alot he finds wholes in defenses and has good hands.

Of course WR is even deeper than OG there are impact players through the 5th round. Floyd, Sanu, Wright, Rueben, Hill, Givens, Quick, Toon, Marv Jones, Jenkins, McNutt, Broyles, Owusu, Criner, lots of real good WR prospects

Of course WR is even deeper than OG there are impact players through the 5th round. Floyd, Sanu, Wright, Rueben, Hill, Givens, Quick, Toon, Marv Jones, Jenkins, McNutt, Broyles, Owusu, Criner, lots of real good WR prospects

Don't forget Greg Childs. I really like what he could do as well.

Rumors that we'll take Courtney Upshaw with one of our picks. Do not like.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/4/25/2973405/2012-nfl-draft-bengals-will-use-one-of-their-first-round-picks-on

Here's the link.

Can't say this selection in the first round would give me a hard-on