1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

Welcome to the 2012 NFL draft (Bengalszone Style) !!!

This is the place to discuss everything there is about who the Bengals are going to draft in the FIRST round.

I will keep this thread open until our second pick in the first round has been made.

All I ask is once our first pick is made, please make comments about the pick in the "Post-Pick Thread" and focus on pick #21 here.

Once again, let's try to keep things as organized as we can and if there are problems through the next several days, let me or one of the Mods know.

Thanks and here's to hoping this draft is a good one !!!

I'm still in the camp that says that I don't care if they've never drafted an OG in the first before and they go that way this year.

If DeCastro is there, I say he's the pick in a heartbeat, but if he's gone, I still say Glenn is a good option at #21.

I think #17 is still VERY much up in the air.

CB is a serious consideration and I will go out on a limb that says if both Gilmore and Kirkpatrick are there, they go with Kirkpatrick.

The only way I think they disregard the CB spot in the first is if a higher rated player, they didn't expect to be there, falls to them.

That list could include a few different players, who have all been in for a visit:

Barron

Kuechly

Floyd

Brockers

Then there are others that they could simply have a hardon for and surprise us with:

Upshaw

Konz

For what it's worth, I also think if they trade anywhere in the first, it will be down from #21, not up.

They could, easily trade down to the bottom of the first from #21 and pick up another 2nd rounder.

It would be hard to complain about that. I could see them trading up from later rounds though.

Totally agree that the Bengals 1st pick of the first round is wide open.

There's a lot of holes to be addressed, there's a lot of upgrading in roster quality required, and then there's the unknowns such as will Leon Hall be back at any time this season?? and will he be able to perform to his previous standard???

The 17th pick could go just anyway ....DeCastro, Glenn, Gilmore (over Kirkpatrick for me). Barron?? Hmmm I don't believe he'd be the shout - I think the coaches are pretty set at Safety - and although Barron would certainly not be a reach and would add an upgrade I believe the pick would/could/should be used to more effect elsewhere on the team. Similarly with Floyd - I think they'll take a wideout but not in the early rounds, if Binns isn't good to go then why is he still here?

Keuchly would be hard to argue against if still there at 17 and Coples would add upgrade plus longevity/stability/bargaining power for the future (12 months from now)

It seems strange that everything is so up in the air and we have so many needs, - but rather than feeling despondent about that I feel pretty good that this draft offers an opportunity to make the team much better.

Nice point on trading the 21st pick down and getting another 2nd rounder. It'd be hard to argue that swapping the 21st pick for anything up to the 32nd plus a second round choice isn't good business.

Totally agree that the Bengals 1st pick of the first round is wide open.

There's a lot of holes to be addressed, there's a lot of upgrading in roster quality required, and then there's the unknowns such as will Leon Hall be back at any time this season?? and will he be able to perform to his previous standard???

The 17th pick could go just anyway ....DeCastro, Glenn, Gilmore (over Kirkpatrick for me). Barron?? Hmmm I don't believe he'd be the shout - I think the coaches are pretty set at Safety - and although Barron would certainly not be a reach and would add an upgrade I believe the pick would/could/should be used to more effect elsewhere on the team. Similarly with Floyd - I think they'll take a wideout but not in the early rounds, if Binns isn't good to go then why is he still here?

Keuchly would be hard to argue against if still there at 17 and Coples would add upgrade plus longevity/stability/bargaining power for the future (12 months from now)

It seems strange that everything is so up in the air and we have so many needs, - but rather than feeling despondent about that I feel pretty good that this draft offers an opportunity to make the team much better.

Nice point on trading the 21st pick down and getting another 2nd rounder. It'd be hard to argue that swapping the 21st pick for anything up to the 32nd plus a second round choice isn't good business.

I'd be against trading down if it meant getting #32 and #64. I'm more in favor of them bundling whatever it takes to get another pick in the late first or early second with all the later round draft picks they have. A third rounder and two fifths should get them into the second round. This is the year to step it up and get some impact rookies to add to the young talent that is already on the team. Trading back for extra picks is for a team like the Browns that need lots of help.

would be Floyd and Decastro.

I just can't see them burning a 1st round pick on a wideout when we have so many more areas of need. Gimme linemen!

I don't think they draft a wideout in the 1st either... unless Floyd drops. They'd probably pull the trigger there. I want DeCastro more though. I think it might be worth trading up for DeCastro, though the Bengals probably wouldn't do that.

i want the team to use both first round picks on the best available player regardless of position. i've been dead set against mark barron simply because i saw several games of his at alabama where he didn't look too impressive and i'd like to see what mays,miles, and sands can do. but if the bengals think he can be an impact player-then fine. i happen to think that coby fleener will be a terrific nfl player and would make an awesome complement to gresham in the passing game. boy, would i love to see the good guys' big board.

Oh I think it would be worth trading up for Decastro as well, but don't see them giving up a 3rd and 4th to do that and I think a team would want that.

If Floyd is there at #17, it shouldn't come as a surprise in the least should he be the pick.

Here's my thing with trading down from #21.

If they do that, then obviously there is no one there the organization feels is a "must have". If that's THEIR opinion, why not trade down ??

They could still get an impact player and pick up another 2nd rounder.

They could go: OG, CB, WR, and RB all in the first two rounds.

That would be really hard to complain about.

That and still having the potential to move back up into the third by packing up some of those late rounders ??

Maybe go, OLB and Safety ??

I don't want to talk about who might be picked in those rounds, only showing what could happen should the situation work a particular way.

With all the picks we already hold, I simply don't see trading down as an option. How much camp fodder do we really need?

I don't look at it that way.

I see it as getting the potential to add more quality players early on then trading late picks in the effort to move back up for more quality players.

Like packing up the 4th and two 5th's to get back into the 3rd. After a trade down from the first, netting another 2nd, that would leave us with 8 total picks. The difference being having two picks in each of the first three rounds. Again, I don't see the downside to that thought. The problem would be finding a team willing to give up a 3rd for those late round picks. Someone always seems to be in need of additional picks though.

Again, I would think being able to address all those positions in the first three rounds would be very enticing.

would be Floyd and Decastro.

I just can't see them burning a 1st round pick on a wideout when we have so many more areas of need. Gimme linemen!

WR is kinda a vast wasteland opposite AJ. If Floyd is there, I want him.

At WR I think the Bengals are looking at some later-round guys like McNutt. If Floyd is there, yeah, I think they pull the trigger but other than that, probably not. One of the two picks, probably 17, will be a corner. Based on likelihood of being there, I would say Dre Kirkpatrick. I wouldn't be surprised if the other was a defensive lineman or linebacker (or a tweener like Upshaw). They could also go RB. 21 would be early for a guy like Martin but with two firsts they can afford to reach.

People are saying we have a ton of holes to fill and I don't necessarily agree with that.

I think we have adequate players at some spots that we could stand to upgrade, but if we miss at those spots in the draft, we will be ok.

Take care of the o-line, get some secondary help, a #2 WR, and find a way to improve the pass rush and I will be VERY happy.

Getting a RB to help Dalton out in rotation will be great as well.

There's no reason we can't do that.

Put me squarely in the Decastro camp as my #1 choice. And if he falls my #2 choice is Mark Barron. I have been on his bandwagon for a while now and I think he would upgrade this team now. I will take Kirkpatrick to place since I feel Gilmore will also be long gone.

I think we have adequate players at some spots that we could stand to upgrade, but if we miss at those spots in the draft, we will be ok.

Agree 100%. Which is why I think an early pick for WR, S, or RB is not a priority pick, these positions can be addressed in the later rounds.

Improve the O line and you automatically improve the effectiveness of our current RB's. Improve the D-line and CB's and you automatically improve the effectiveness of the Offence!

De Castro is my No.17 pick, after that any of Glenn, Gilmore/Kirkpatrick or Keuchly/Hightower/Upshaw would be a fine first round for me.

Keep Dalton's jersey clean and save on laundry costs.

You mean Mr.Brown doesn't take them down to the Ohio and flatrock scrub the kit clean ????

Funny thing is, whenever I think I have a fairly good guestimate on what they might do, I find a reason why they might do something else. Seriously you could make an argument for many different combos in the first round:

OG/CB

WR/DE

DT/RB

OLB/S

Even with that, you could mix those up further and be able to make a case:

CB/DE

WR/OG

S/RB

OLB/DT

I'm sure I could make a case why they wouldn't do that as well, but that's kind of my point.

Trying to figure out the coaches and the front office this year has been a challenge.

I'm going to attempt one more mock draft before Thrusday, just for some fun.

Funny thing is, whenever I think I have a fairly good guestimate on what they might do, I find a reason why they might do something else. Seriously you could make an argument for many different combos in the first round:

OG/CB

WR/DE

DT/RB

OLB/S

Even with that, you could mix those up further and be able to make a case:

CB/DE

WR/OG

S/RB

OLB/DT

That's what makes this draft so intriguing for our Bengals. They don't have one huge hole. Their holes are pretty much equal in size so they can and should go for the best available player and throw need to the wind. The way I'm looking at it is that "I'm looking forward to unwrapping two presents" on Thursday and I'm not counting on any one player or position. That said, I'd love to see David DeCastro.

I think everyone who is so dead-set on taking a G like DeCastro is going to be disappointed. Not saying it won't happen, but too many people are acting as if we HAVE TO do that if he is available. There is no player we HAVE TO take.

I think if either Floyd or Barron slip to #17, we'll take them. If not, there are so many posibilities.

Don't be surprised at all if we go with two defensive players in the 1st round... I could easily seee them taking Brockers and Upshaw, or Brockers and Kirkpatrick (maybe add Poe into the mix too). The premium positions in the draft are QB and left OT on offense (we are set at both) and CB, pass rusher, and premier DTs on defense. They could snag two of those defensive positions and then address G, RB, and WR in the next rounds.

Stephen Hill would also be a strong possibility at #21. But if we don't get Floyd or Hill, I expect a defensive double-dip in round 1.

At WR I think the Bengals are looking at some later-round guys like McNutt. If Floyd is there, yeah, I think they pull the trigger but other than that, probably not. One of the two picks, probably 17, will be a corner. Based on likelihood of being there, I would say Dre Kirkpatrick. I wouldn't be surprised if the other was a defensive lineman or linebacker (or a tweener like Upshaw). They could also go RB. 21 would be early for a guy like Martin but with two firsts they can afford to reach.

From what I've gathered, they really like Dre. I wil be happy if they take him at 17. If Floyd drops then I would be OK with them snagging the assumed heir to Simpson's 2 role.

I am less convinced they take a RB early. Martin is a good propsect but 21 is too high to take him, considering who else will probably be there. Plus, I have to think that some guys will drop, so getting good value at 21 cleaning up the stragglers who've dropped will give them lots of options. DeCastro could still be there at 21 despite what the pundits are saying. If Decastro and Glenn are there, that means that a top DE or LB will have dropped and they can take one of them. the USC DE looks good and might drop into our lap there.

I think this is the year to steer wide of any reach "athletes" (*cough*simpson*cough*) or character question players like Jenkins, Burfict, etc. Just not worth it at this point in a young team's development. As for those who question adding depth when they have adequate players at some spot, ask yourself this: Are guys like Geathers, Cook, Scott, Hall really going to step up and play at an elite level? They need to add talent and depth everywhere except maybe QB.

I wonder if having two picks in close proximity affects their thought process as opposed to having just one. Do they take a flyer or make a reach on the second pick, knowing they still have their pick in the second round? Or is it strictly take the BPA? Or would they consider trading down if one of their coveted players is no longer there at No. 21.

Hopefully we will address more than one position this time rather than take two LBs like in 1998. :frustrated:

I think everyone who is so dead-set on taking a G like DeCastro is going to be disappointed. Not saying it won't happen, but too many people are acting as if we HAVE TO do that if he is available. There is no player we HAVE TO take.

I don't think there is anyone saying they "HAVE TO" take any player.

When it comes to DeCastro, it's one of those situations where they would be silly to pass on him.

#1. He may be the safest pick in the whole draft.

#2. He is head and shoulders the most dominant lineman to come out in forever.

#3. OG is a huge glaring hole unless you just really love Jacob Bell. (see garbage)

#4. It would seem like protecting Dalton, while trying to improve the running game, would be of great benefit.

Just me, but there aren't many players I expect to be there that would present both value and need at #17 more than DeCastro. He would certainly be the BPA based on who "should" be there. Then again, maybe everyone is happy with the continued effort of manning the interior of the o-line with 4th rounders or later.

Nothing is a must have, but there are smart moves that could be made and while DeCastro wouldn't be the sexy pick immediately, I think people would be happy when they seeing a high functioning offense capable of controlling the clock.

Also, welcome to the board SunDevil !!!