ArmyBengal's 2012 Mock Draft

ArmyBengal

In listening to the coaches talk, there would appear to be many different ways the team could go in almost any round.

Where do they take an OG ?? Do they really have their #2 WR on the roster ?? How important is a rotation RB early ??

The answers to those questions will determine when they take those spots, but this is what i'm thinking right now.

In all honesty, if the first 4 rounds fell like this, I wouldn't watch the rest of the draft.

1A. CORDY GLENN, OG, GEORGIA

If DeCastro is there, he should be the pick, but either way, they have to get an OG that is capable of starting right away and can't afford to wait. Glenn is also a versatile type O-linemen the Bengals seem to love.

1B. STEPHON GILMORE, CB, SOUTH CAROLINA

I really hope he will still be here when we pick, because he doesn't have the issues the other players that could be considered here do. If not him, I think Kirkpatrick could also be there and would be a nice 2nd option.

2. TRUMAINE JOHNSON, FS/CB, MONTANA

This is another guy I think the Bengals really like. He's versatile and can play both FS and CB spots. Why a FS ?? There is nothing after Nelson and I think the Bengals have a hard on for Taylor Mays at the SS spot. They could go WR earlier at this spot, but I still don't think there is a reason to grab a #2 WR this early.

3. CHRIS POLK, RB, WASHINGTON

This is the guy I want to see us get very much. I went with the 3rd round based upon what I keep hearing and reading in regards to how Polk is viewed. I think he may go earlier, but if he were to fall to the 3rd, I would have no problem seeing them package their 3rd, 4th, and 5th in order to move up to get him. I'm hoping he continues to fall.

4. GREG CHILDS, WR, ARKANSAS

Another guy I really want to see them get. Childs would be going much higher had he no gotten injured in his senior season and teams are still not quite sure on him, but things appear to be going up based on his pro day. At 6'3, 219lbs, and sub 4.4 speed, I love what he could bring opposite AJ Green. I posted about this being my 2012 "pimped player".

5A. TRAVIS LEWIS, OLB, OKLAHOMA

Not just an OLB, but a weakside LB that is going to be a big need come next season when both Howard and Rivers will be free agents. Not knowing Rivers situation moving forward, OLB may be taken earlier than this.

5B. RISHAW JOHNSON, OG, CALIFORNIA(PA)

A position I really see them going to twice in the draft, seeing as how Boling and Hudson are still developing.

6. LEVY ADCOCK, OT, OKLAHOMA ST.

They have to get another OT in the fold with Roland not coming back. See practice squad.

7. MIKE HARRIS, CB, FLORIDA ST.

Another CB option to bring into the mix. There is simply to much disarray to not see what happens and the CB they drafted late last season (Lindsay) is no longer around.

**NOTE**

This is all in fun, so don't take anything to seriously...

In listening to the coaches talk, there would appear to be many different ways the team could go in almost any round.

Where do they take an OG ?? Do they really have their #2 WR on the roster ?? How important is a rotation RB early ??

The answers to those questions will determine when they take those spots, but this is what i'm thinking right now.

In all honesty, if the first 4 rounds fell like this, I wouldn't watch the rest of the draft.

1A. CORDY GLENN, OG, GEORGIA

If DeCastro is there, he should be the pick, but either way, they have to get an OG that is capable of starting right away and can't afford to wait. Glenn is also a versatile type O-linemen the Bengals seem to love.

1B. STEPHON GILMORE, CB, SOUTH CAROLINA

I really hope he will still be here when we pick, because he doesn't have the issues the other players that could be considered here do. If not him, I think Kirkpatrick could also be there and would be a nice 2nd option.

2. TRUMAINE JOHNSON, FS/CB, MONTANA

This is another guy I think the Bengals really like. He's versatile and can play both FS and CB spots. Why a FS ?? There is nothing after Nelson and I think the Bengals have a hard on for Taylor Mays at the SS spot. They could go WR earlier at this spot, but I still don't think there is a reason to grab a #2 WR this early.

3. CHRIS POLK, RB, WASHINGTON

This is the guy I want to see us get very much. I went with the 3rd round based upon what I keep hearing and reading in regards to how Polk is viewed. I think he may go earlier, but if he were to fall to the 3rd, I would have no problem seeing them package their 3rd, 4th, and 5th in order to move up to get him. I'm hoping he continues to fall.

4. GREG CHILDS, WR, ARKANSAS

Another guy I really want to see them get. Childs would be going much higher had he no gotten injured in his senior season and teams are still not quite sure on him, but things appear to be going up based on his pro day. At 6'3, 219lbs, and sub 4.4 speed, I love what he could bring opposite AJ Green. I posted about this being my 2012 "pimped player".

5A. TRAVIS LEWIS, OLB, OKLAHOMA

Not just an OLB, but a weakside LB that is going to be a big need come next season when both Howard and Rivers will be free agents. Not knowing Rivers situation moving forward, OLB may be taken earlier than this.

5B. RISHAW JOHNSON, OG, CALIFORNIA(PA)

A position I really see them going to twice in the draft, seeing as how Boling and Hudson are still developing.

6. LEVY ADCOCK, OT, OKLAHOMA ST.

They have to get another OT in the fold with Roland not coming back. See practice squad.

7. MIKE HARRIS, CB, FLORIDA ST.

Another CB option to bring into the mix. There is simply to much disarray to not see what happens and the CB they drafted late last season (Lindsay) is no longer around.

**NOTE**

This is all in fun, so don't take anything to seriously...

I love the first 5 picks, cant say as I know enough about the others to have an opinion any further though.

The last 4 picks I view as needed depth picks and I looked into them based upon where their skills have them projected, how much production they have had at the position, and will they fit what the Bengals are doing.

Travis Lewis fits the weakside LB spot very well at that point of the draft. Some have said he's a bit of a headache but the skillset is there. Rishawn Johnson was at Miss, but was suspended and went to Div-II. He provides value in the 5th round. Adcock is a mixed bag at the OT spot, but all they need is some more depth to develop and he has great leadership skills, has started, and projects to the RT spot. Losing Roland = needed depth. In looking for CB depth in the late rounds, I was looking for a smart player that actually had starting time. No headcases. Mike Harris could possibly be in the mix for one of the last CB roster spots after a season on the practice squad.

I LOVE THE FIRST 5 PICKS !!!

Honestly though, I think both Polk and Childs could or should go a round sooner, but we will have to see.

The thing i'm looking forward to seeing is, will there be a player that falls that we didn't expect and will that player change the teams line of thought ?? Teams reach and players fall. I love the draft !!!

I like it. Obviously, it would hit us at a number of our points of need -- esp interior Oline. Unfortunately, I doubt Mike Brown would pull the trigger on any of those interior guys in Rd 1.

I like the OLB pick, but personally, I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up a MLB as well. Not too familiar with who might be gotten in 4-6 Rd range, but one guy who is sure to drop is Burfict. He seems to be penciled in going to the Bengals in a lot of people's minds. Would you be interested if we could get him in ~ Rd 6?

And speaking of MLB, I did see where they visited Keuchly recently. He seems like the kind of guy who is a beast and would also make everyone around him on D better. I see Rd 1 going either LB/CB or WR/CB. Sorry, Glenn and DeCastro.

Unfortunately, I doubt Mike Brown would pull the trigger on any of those interior guys in Rd 1.

While that may be true for the most part, I think this year is different. Both DeCastro and Glenn look to fill the HUGE, GAPING, HELLACIOUS hole that is RG and start immediately. Glenn is versatile, which the Bengals love and the other Guards, while good, I don't see starting right away. There are about two more I could live with in the 2nd should someone fall, but it would depend.

I like the OLB pick, but personally, I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up a MLB as well. Not too familiar with who might be gotten in 4-6 Rd range, but one guy who is sure to drop is Burfict. He seems to be penciled in going to the Bengals in a lot of people's minds. Would you be interested if we could get him in ~ Rd 6?

That's just it, I really don't see them doing MLB early on even though the have Rey for another season and Muckelroy. I just don't see someone later that would provide much (if any) upgrade to what they currently have. I think they should and if the guy in your next comment were to fall, it wouldn't be a surprise if they took him. If they think Burfict can pull his head out of his ass, I would be cool with the pick, but not before the 5th round. That dude is just a HUGE headcase and would the team to stay away from that crap, seeing how young they are.

And speaking of MLB, I did see where they visited Keuchly recently. He seems like the kind of guy who is a beast and would also make everyone around him on D better. I see Rd 1 going either LB/CB or WR/CB. Sorry, Glenn and DeCastro.

Again, if Keuchly is there, I could see them grabbing him. Both OG and CB are huge needs by my view and there are other OG's and CB's that could be had in the 2nd round, so we will just have to wait and see. I still think the only way they go WR that early is if Floyd drops. If not him, the others just don't do as much for me as any other WR that could be had through the first 3-4 rounds. Again, this is just my thinking based upon what we are getting from the coaches. If Barron were still there when we picked, I think he would be an option if they didn't have such a hard on for Mays. You just never know.

This would be a cool season to get a glimpse inside their warroom and see their draft board !!!

A couple conversation points:

1) People are linking Gilmore to the Bengals a lot lately and I'm a huge fan of the idea. But he had a very strong combine/pro day combined with his versatility as a return man... he's made himself the best CB not named Claiborne. I'll be a bit surprised if he's not a top 15 pick... let alone available at #21. (Glenn on the other hand might fall to #21, so switch the draft positions, and I'll buy it - but I'm splitting hairs here).

2) Polk is a first round talent and I won't be surprised if he is drafted late in the 1st. He might fall to the 2nd round... but I doubt he'll fall far. It only takes one team to believe the film over the post combine hype - so I see Polk a lock to be taken in top 40 picks. I don't think he'll be there at #53... let alone early in the 3rd round for the Bengals to trade up and get him.

3) I'm not a fan of Childs. If this were the '09-'10 version of Childs, I'd be happy. But he just didn't look good in 2011. You could make the case that he's finally healthy... but you could just as easily make the case that he's just not the same player anymore. I know there are plenty of Arkansas fans who feel that way.

I can be convinced that it's a risk worth taking in the 4th round... but I still worry that the Bengals would be relying on him to fill the #2 WR role. I'm not confident he's up to the task. I'd be more inclined to take this risk if he's a plan B, or a developmental guy... not as a day 1 starter.

All that said... if I had a guess, it would be that some other team will be willing to take a 3rd round flyer on him (I'm thinking a team like Pittsburgh late in the 3rd round knowing they don't need him to contribute immediately, but will lose either Wallace and Brown in 2013).

1) People are linking Gilmore to the Bengals a lot lately and I'm a huge fan of the idea. But he had a very strong combine/pro day combined with his versatility as a return man... he's made himself the best CB not named Claiborne. I'll be a bit surprised if he's not a top 15 pick... let alone available at #21. (Glenn on the other hand might fall to #21, so switch the draft positions, and I'll buy it - but I'm splitting hairs here).

Yeah, I won't complain either way.

2) Polk is a first round talent and I won't be surprised if he is drafted late in the 1st. He might fall to the 2nd round... but I doubt he'll fall far. It only takes one team to believe the film over the post combine hype - so I see Polk a lock to be taken in top 40 picks. I don't think he'll be there at #53... let alone early in the 3rd round for the Bengals to trade up and get him.

Derek, I think you and I are the only two that have come out in support of Polk and I would have no issue if they were able to get him in the second. I'm more or less hoping against hope he falls.

3) I'm not a fan of Childs. If this were the '09-'10 version of Childs, I'd be happy. But he just didn't look good in 2011. You could make the case that he's finally healthy... but you could just as easily make the case that he's just not the same player anymore. I know there are plenty of Arkansas fans who feel that way.

I can be convinced that it's a risk worth taking in the 4th round... but I still worry that the Bengals would be relying on him to fill the #2 WR role. I'm not confident he's up to the task. I'd be more inclined to take this risk if he's a plan B, or a developmental guy... not as a day 1 starter.

All that said... if I had a guess, it would be that some other team will be willing to take a 3rd round flyer on him (I'm thinking a team like Pittsburgh late in the 3rd round knowing they don't need him to contribute immediately, but will lose either Wallace and Brown in 2013).

Well to be fair, he was still recovering and wasn't near where he is now. It was evident at his proday where most scouts walked away very impressed. I agree that a team may grab him at the bottom of the 3rd, we will have to see. If our coaches are to be believed, they have their #2 on the roster. While I may not agree with that concept, it doesn't matter what I agree with. If that is the case and a guy like Tate or Binns is the man for 2012, Childs won't need to be. I still think he would be capable of that and if there in the 4th would be a good value. I love his route running ability, body control, and hands. Couple all that with timed sub 4.4 speed and i'd be happy.

I've said it before, the only WR I want to see them "reach" for is Michael Floyd. Outside of that, I say wait.

Again, just what i'm seeing and acknowledge I could be completely offbase. It's half the fun...

Rumor has it that Polk is having personality issues. That he has come off as disinterested in team interviews and that he was not a great teammate at Washington, if true it could mean that Polk is going fall fairly far, with the de-emphasis on RBs and the fact that he is ranking anywhere from 5-7 in the RB rankings I have seen Polk could clearly fall to 3 or beyond.

It is looking very likely that Richardson will be the only 1st Rd. Running Back (only 1 went last year as well). Then the question is how many will go in the second. Right now Polk is rated definately behind Richardson, Wilson, Martin, and Miller and some have Pead and or James ranked ahead of him. Walter Football has him going #77 to Seattle.

Whether it is a second round selection of Martin, Miller or Wilson or a third round selection of Pead or Polk I am ok as long as they do not reach from a 1st Round RB whose name is not Trent Richardson. BTW still in favor of trading up to get Richardson even if that means trading up to #3, not only because he fits perfectly in our offense but also strategicly if we don't get him the Browns probably will.

It is looking very likely that Richardson will be the only 1st Rd. Running Back (only 1 went last year as well).

I agree that Richardson is head and shoulders better than any other RB in this draft... but that doesn't mean he'll be the only RB drafted in the 1st round.

Last year was an aberration with only one RB drafted in the 1st round. And it was because of the weakness of the RB class... not the devaluation of the position as a whole. Look at 2010... three RBs were taken in the 1st round, four taken in the 2nd round. 2009... 3 RBs taken in the 1st round, two taken in the 2nd round. 2008... five RBs taken in the 1st round, two taken in the 2nd round.

Also... in 2011, while only one RB was taken in the 1st... there were four RB's taken in the 2nd round - and none of them are as highly rated as Chris Polk.

Richardson will be a top 5 pick. Lamar Miller will be a top 25 pick. Doug Martin's stock has risen greatly (perhaps even passing Polk's), so he might get taken in the 1st round as well - and Chris Polk will go early 2nd round... ahead of David Wilson.

I don't know whether Polk is a good teammate or if he appears disinterested when he's interviewed. I just know how he plays football - and on that criteria, he carries a 1st round grade. He won't fall past the 40th pick.

I agree in that it has less to do with devaluation of the RB position and more to do with how good the draft class at the position is.

That being said, I don't think it can be forgotten that there has to be a great enough need over all other positions in order for the RB to be selected. With this draft class being deep enough to grab a starter quality back in the 2nd and maybe even 3rd round (depending on type) I think we will see teams wait to see how it falls and take another position. What also wouldn't surprise me to see would be teams trading back up in the 2nd to grab a RB this draft. Will Polk go in the first ?? As much as I like him, I don't think he will. Will he go in the 2nd ?? He sure should, but again, I just don't think it's so easy to say it's a certainty.

Oh yeah, I really am hoping to see members here attempt to do "Bengals Only" mocks and see what they come up with.

I found it rather difficult in trying to find players, especially later, that filled a need and fit what we are doing.

Hell, even guessing the early rounds is challenging this year. I could have gone in at least 3 different directions with the first 3 picks.

Just take a stab at it. If nothing else, it provides some good conversation !!!

That being said, I don't think it can be forgotten that there has to be a great enough need over all other positions in order for the RB to be selected. With this draft class being deep enough to grab a starter quality back in the 2nd and maybe even 3rd round (depending on type) I think we will see teams wait to see how it falls and take another position.

Perhaps... but there are plenty of teams that need a starting RB. Teams that I can see needing a starting RB (or at least could badly use an upgrade) are:

AFCN: Browns, Bengals, Steelers

AFCS: Colts

AFCE: Dolphins, Jets

AFCW: Broncos

NFCN: Lions, Packers

NFCS: Buccaneers

NFCE: Redskins

NFCW: Cardinals

So... that's 12 teams that I could reasonably see taking a starting RB in the 1st two rounds. Now... how many starting RBs are available in this draft? True starters? I think only four (Richardson, Miller, Martin, and Polk). David Wilson tops the list of decent RBs who will not carry the ball more than 10 times/game... thus not a true starter.

I see Richardson going at #4 or #5 to Cleveland or Tampa Bay.

I see Miller going to Cleveland at #22 (if they pass on Richardson), Detroit at #23, or Pittsburgh at #24.

I see Martin going any number of places. Maybe a team (like the Bengals) fall in love with him and he goes as early as #21 or to the Steelers at #24 (a recent report suggests that 2 AFCN teams are interested in him in the 1st round, and the Bengals are one of them). If I'm forced to guess where he goes... I think the Jets trade up and grab him late in the 1st round.

Last is our good friend Chris Polk. Once the other 3 are gone, he'll be the last true starter available... and thus won't last long. A team will either trade up for him - or he'll fall luckily into the lap of a team of need. Perhaps Indianapolis at #34, Perhaps the Buccaneers at #36 (if the Browns grab Richardson)... or perhaps Cleveland at #37 if they pass on both Richardson and Miller in the 1st round.

All of that to say... there's more demand than there is supply. Even with a weak RB class last year, RB's went fast in the 2nd round. This class is better... but it's top heavy. Once the first 5 are gone, there's not much left. So I won't be the least bit surprised to see the 4 RBs I mentioned taken in the top 40 picks.

My only thought again is not really do those RB needy teams "want" a RB, but do they want him more than another position of need ??

Sure the Steelers are looking at RB, but do they look there first or address their sh*tbag situation on the o-line first ??

There other examples as well. I just think many of those teams have greater needs, but again, I could be wrong.

No guard in the first would be predicated on someone falling to them they didn't expect and can't pass up.

Outside of that, if either DeCastro or Glenn are there, they are stupid for not running to the podium.

Well, if Andy Dalton remaining upright means anything to them...

Also, I really think this is a draft that could go many different ways.

I could see a scenario where the first round picks could be used on a CB, OG, WR, DE, RB, or DT.

While I wouldn't support all those picks, it's at least debateable.

There are OG's, CB's, RB's, and WR's to be had in the first few rounds, so I see it as BPA at those positions.

• 3 weeks later...

Matt Miller has his final 7-Round Mock Draft up.

Here are his picks for the Bengals and my responses:

#17: Kendall Wright - I like it, but don't love it. I'm not as high on Wright as others... but with Gilmore, DeCastro, Upshaw, and Floyd all gone - it's a solid pick.

#21: Dre Kirkpatrick - I'm just not a fan of Kirkpatrick. Jamell Fleming would be viewed as a reach, but I think he will be the better pro.

#53: Brandon Washington - Very nice fit at RG in the Bengals power blocking scheme (although Chris Polk was available).

#85: Markelle Martin - I love Martin as a Free Safety. I don't expect to see the Bengals draft a Safety this early... but this if he's the pick in the 3rd, I'll be a happy camper.

#116: Cyrus Gray - Very underrated RB here. A great compliment to BGE and upgrade over Scott. Can't complain about getting a quality role player in the 4th round.

#156: Olivier Vernon - Could develop into a nice player. I would expect him to beat out Derrick Harvey for a roster spot.

#166: Matt Reynolds - Matt Miller must know the Bengals history of making underwhelming camp-fodder picks for the O-Line.

#167: Ryan Lindley - The Bengals need a back-up QB for 2013 and beyond... but Lindley doesn't make sense. He's the opposite of Dalton. All the physical tools... but lacks accuracy and consistency. Doesn't seem like a good fit.

#191: Evan Rodriguez - Good pick. Best FB in the draft who might be an eventual TE in the NFL. His ability to both block and catch would give him a real shot at winning the job over Pressley.