Scheduled FA Visits to the Bengals 2012

membengal

Seriously? Will any of you guys be disappointed if they don't sign Kendall Langford? The guy is mediocre on his best day....Hell, I'd rather call up Jevon Langford out of retirement.....OR BETTER YET, I WOULD HAVE RE-SIGNED FANENE !!!!!!

Langford IS NOWHERE NEAR as good as Fanene

DE Position: Downgraded regardless of signing Langford or not.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say as i'd be overwhelmed with Langford, but they have painted themselves into a corner and have to do something.

That being said, there are now reports with the Bengals HAVING to take a DE or DT in the first round to make up for the loss at the position. While I don't think the situation warrants that type of a reaction, it simply confirms my beliefs of what others might be thinking.

While some might not really have a problem with that, I simply don't envision a situation where either DeCastro/Glenn or Kirkpatrick/Jenkins are available and we take a d-lineman to make up for the loss of Rucker and Fanene. Hell, if Floyd was there, i'd rather take him than a freakin' rotational, non starting d-lineman.

This is the stuff that irritates me in regards to not taking care of your depth when you clearly have the ability to do so.

This is the stuff that irritates me in regards to not taking care of your depth when you clearly have the ability to do so.

This isn't unusual, though, by NFL standards. I've watched the Titans do the same thing for years. They're letting guys like this go and instead are trying to keep their money for guys they feel are essential. Depth is replaceable through the draft. Yes, I realize they were very productive last season, but they were also playing alongside guys like Dunlap, Atkins, Peko, and Johnson. Apparently, the Bengals feel they can replace guys that they drafted in the 3rd and 7th rounds without giving up millions to do so.

We'll find out pretty quickly whether Nelson falls into the depth category for them, or if they truly feel he's better than that.

This isn't unusual, though, by NFL standards. I've watched the Titans do the same thing for years. They're letting guys like this go and instead are trying to keep their money for guys they feel are essential. Depth is replaceable through the draft. Yes, I realize they were very productive last season, but they were also playing alongside guys like Dunlap, Atkins, Peko, and Johnson. Apparently, the Bengals feel they can replace guys that they drafted in the 3rd and 7th rounds without giving up millions to do so.

We'll find out pretty quickly whether Nelson falls into the depth category for them, or if they truly feel he's better than that.

I understand that, but lets also not pretend they weren't capable of paying some guys. Not saying you are.

Couple that with not locking themselves into drafting for need and I just think it's a mistake in this particular situation. I really am in the line of thought that if they get Michael Bush in FA they don't draft a running back before the 4th or at all.

Looks like everyone left without contracts! Plus Marvin is not even there still on the WC for college days what the hell. Thought they had a scout for there I don't get it! How do they even sign interview guys without Marvin there. I knew this team was stupid but come on I don't get it

Colts DE Jamaal Anderson visiting Cincy today per his twitter.

One of the bigger busts in recent memory. Atlanta took the dude # 8 Overall back in '07 thinking he was a dominant pass rusher. His 4 years there (60 games) results in a whopping 4.5 Sacks.

If he comes cheap, fine, but I'll be damned if these fools give one of these scrubs the same money it would have cost to retain Fanene.

Add Detroit DT Andre Fluellen to the list. A potential Pat Sims replacement. From what I read, just a guy.

Langford finally split town without signing.

Is Sims gone?

Do they really want to downgrade yet another position on the d-line? Or, are they expecting not to resign him? (despite his past two injuries)

This sucks!! Seven free agents have completed their visits to Cincinnati, but none have signed with the Bengals!! What are we waiting on? We can't fix everything through the draft and we'ing losing players. We have so many areas to address too. WR; AJ Green and Shipley can't do it all!! Our DB's suck, can't cover nor tackle! The o-lines needs to be beefed up! But then we are solid at the kicker position so there's a positive! Good lord.

I can't say as i'd be overwhelmed with Langford, but they have painted themselves into a corner and have to do something.

That being said, there are now reports with the Bengals HAVING to take a DE or DT in the first round to make up for the loss at the position. While I don't think the situation warrants that type of a reaction, it simply confirms my beliefs of what others might be thinking.

While some might not really have a problem with that, I simply don't envision a situation where either DeCastro/Glenn or Kirkpatrick/Jenkins are available and we take a d-lineman to make up for the loss of Rucker and Fanene. Hell, if Floyd was there, i'd rather take him than a freakin' rotational, non starting d-lineman.

I don't get why people would suggest that we need to take a 1st round D-Lineman because two so-so rotational depth guys left in free agency. Sounds more like hysterical overreaction to the fact that some guys have gone and the Bengies are biding their time. Don't get me wrong, if a D=lineman was the BAP at 17 or 21 I'd be fine with taking him. The one thing they shouldn't do is reach for a perceived need.

As for taking care of depth, you don't do that by paying starter money to back-ups, i.e., Fanene and Rucker. My thought,anyway.

This sucks!! Seven free agents have completed their visits to Cincinnati, but none have signed with the Bengals!! What are we waiting on? We can't fix everything through the draft and we'ing losing players. We have so many areas to address too. WR; AJ Green and Shipley can't do it all!! Our DB's suck, can't cover nor tackle! The o-lines needs to be beefed up! But then we are solid at the kicker position so there's a positive! Good lord.

Take a deep breath.

As for taking care of depth, you don't do that by paying starter money to back-ups, i.e., Fanene and Rucker. My thought,anyway.

I agree, but $4 million a year isn't really starter money for DEs and DTs any more. Peko is a good player and I like him, but he isn't a top DT and even he's pulling down more than 5 bills a season. Geathers' deal averaged more than $5.5 million a year and that was in 2006.

I'd also add that it's really not accurate to call Fanene or Rucker "back-ups." A back-up is someone who sits on the bench and waits for an injury to get them into the game. Fanene and Rucker played hundreds of snaps each in all 16 games last year. And to be technical about it, Rucker started 11 games and Fanene 2 in 2011.

I liked Rucker and Fanene, but both guys seemed to have a hard time staying healthy. I haven't gone back and looked up their histories or anything, but I recall them both getting nicked a lot. And that's when they were situational, then later rotational guys. Their health concerns me, and if we were going to let guys get away, at least we have depth at the d line position.

Now if we were to let depth at guard get away, then I'd be concerned. Wait...

This sucks!! Seven free agents have completed their visits to Cincinnati, but none have signed with the Bengals!! What are we waiting on?

Maybe THIS.

Could the Cincinnati Bengals Make a Play for WR Mike Wallace?

By Andrea Hangst (Featured Columnist) on March 16, 2012

Why have the Cincinnati Bengals been so silent during free agency, despite having the most money to work with in all of the AFC North?

Yes, they've been meeting with players and more visits are scheduled for early next week, but they've yet to make a move. Let me throw one possibility out there:

The Bengals are thinking of making an offer to Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace.

Interesting to say the least. Read the rest at the link above.

I don't think so either, but it is strange how silent they are. I wasn't expecting much, but figured they would have signed a guy or two with all the visits they had. Other years they would have signed somebody by now at least there own players. What a boring offseason at least FA so far