Draft

walzav29

Yeah, I agree with RBB that using those picks as trade bait makes sense. The Bengals aren't going to keep 9 rooks on the roster anyhow; maybe 5-6 stick. So if you can jump up a little here or there to get a guy you covet, do it.

Re Burfict: like Jenkins, someone will take him. If he was there in the 5th I would be fine taking a flyer on him. If he shows up fat and out of shape and with a bad attitude, they can send him packing. It's the Bengals' habit of spending top picks on character problems and then having to live with their bad behavior that I object to.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point exactly. I don't want to see them use picks early on guys like Jenkins, but we are talking about the 5th round. Not only that, but the 5th round where we have three freakin' picks. As I mentioned, I could think of worse ways then to take a flier on a guy like Burfict.

As I said, my first thought is to package what you can to move as high as you can.

That will require them seeing someone they want fall to a certain spot and having a team agree to make that trade.

Not as easy as it sounds...

Anyone heard anything about Ced?

I listened to a radio interview with him yesterday. He said he has accepted that wherever he goes, it will be in a back by committee system because almost the whole league is there now.

He talked glowingly about the Bengals organization. He clearly liked it here, and he thinks the team is on a very good track towards winning.

So, if he doesn't have a deal before the draft he'll be looking at some really low money. Not vet minimum, but I'm thinking a million or two per year.

Any interest?

Call me crazy, but they could still take Burfict with one of those 5th rounders and package the other two in a move up.

The value of those two other picks would put them into the bottom of the 4th. That would be awesome by me.

Finding a team in need of more late picks would be the issue.

Also, anyone have any thought to seeing another team want to trade up from the bottom of the first to the Bengals pick at #21 ??

Take New England for example. They could move up from 31 and only have to give their second rounder.

They have two second rounders, so it would be a good move on their part.

I would love our pick at #17, drop back in the first for our 2nd pick, and end up with two 2nd rounders.

Call me crazy, but they could still take Burfict with one of those 5th rounders and package the other two in a move up.

The value of those two other picks would put them into the bottom of the 4th. That would be awesome by me.

Finding a team in need of more late picks would be the issue.

Also, anyone have any thought to seeing another team want to trade up from the bottom of the first to the Bengals pick at #21 ??

Take New England for example. They could move up from 31 and only have to give their second rounder.

They have two second rounders, so it would be a good move on their part.

I would love our pick at #17, drop back in the first for our 2nd pick, and end up with two 2nd rounders.

I don't know. I've heard of "experts" saying that there are about 22 true first rd picks in this draft and that there's a dropoff after that. I guess we have to see what's there and what's offered at that point

I don't know. I've heard of "experts" saying that there are about 22 true first rd picks in this draft and that there's a dropoff after that. I guess we have to see what's there and what's offered at that point

While that my be the case, although arguable, there would still be a player sitting there at the bottom of the 1st that we could still probably plug right in. While he might not be a top 10 talent, I think there would be an OG that would present as an upgrade to what we have if they go in another direction should DeCastro not fall.

You are absolutely right though and we will have to see what's there.

I can't wait !!!

I've heard of "experts" saying that there are about 22 true first rd picks in this draft and that there's a dropoff after that. I guess we have to see what's there and what's offered at that point

I heard Bill Polian was saying something along those lines.

Not sure I agree though. No one knows exactly how the first 20 picks will go... but if Polian is right... there will only be one or two guys available at #21 that are worthy of the pick. But the way I see most mock drafts going, there will be several guys there that I'd be happy with.

It seems to me that the talent drop off isn't around the 20th spot... it's around the 5th spot. When was the last time there was so much consensus about the top 5 players (Luck, Griffen, Kalil, Richardson, and Claiborne)? After those 5 guys, mock drafts are all over the place. Some have Blackmon as the #6 pick. Some have him falling out of the top 15. Some have Quinton Coples as a top 10 pick. Some have him available in the 20's. Some have Tannehill going #8. Some have him falling to the 2nd round.

I think there are a lot of guys... maybe more than 30... that would be worthy of a 1st round pick. So I'm not worried much. The question is who will be available at #17 and #21. And for the first time, I'm betting I'll be happy with the choices, no matter which way the Bengals choose to go.

I'm still pretty confident about who will or won't be there, but am getting a feeling things are going to turn out much differently than I initally expected. I can't wait to see how it turns out though !!!

I'm also curious to see just how much Chandler Jones makes an impact before we make our pick.

I'm hoping he pushes someone else down to us, with him being picked before #17.

Without doing another full mock draft in the other forum, this is just kind of where I think they might go.

1. DE

1. CB

2. OG

3. WR

4. RB

5. OLB

5. MLB

5. WR

6. DT

I find it amazing how many different ways they could go through their first 5 picks.

Both the positions and players could change from round to round.

It really presents as taking the BPA and moving on.

I'm f*cking stoked !!!

Without doing another full mock draft in the other forum, this is just kind of where I think they might go.

1. DE

1. CB

2. OG

3. WR

4. RB

5. OLB

5. MLB

5. WR

6. DT

I find it amazing how many different ways they could go through their first 5 picks.

Both the positions and players could change from round to round.

It really presents as taking the BPA and moving on.

I'm f*cking stoked !!!

I've never found myself confident in predicting positions that the Bengals pick but you can always count on them picking up a slow WR late in the draft like Whalen last year so kudos to you for including that in rd 5... :sure:

Well, you have to figure they lost both Caldwell and Simpson.

Even if they bring both Binns and Hazelton up from the practice squad and they make the roster, they will most certainly want to replenish the practice squad with at least one WR prospect to bring along. That's why I think it's almost a certainty they draft two WR's.

I'm becoming less and less convinced that OG is high on the Bengals radar.

Don't get me wrong... I'm hoping the Bengals OG early. But Wharton and Bell have a lot of starting experience, and the Bengals can bring back Bobbie Williams if the draft doesn't fall the right way.

Honestly, I think a guy is going to have to fall much further than expected for the Bengals to draft an OG in the first 2 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread...

I went back to see what we all were thinking going back to January and what I actually found more interesting were the mock drafts based on performance at the end of the college seasons. In 3 of the mock drafts posted at that time, they had Kirkpatrick, Still, and Sanu all as likely to go in the first round. As things progressed, both Zeitler and Thompson had made appearances in the first round as well.

Although those are obviously just someones opinion, their opinions were to such a degree that all of our first 5 picks were worthy of being taken in the first round. Sure those opinions shifted as things progressed, but in the past couple years, I started looking at the end of college season drafts as a pretty good indicator of talent based upon what the players did that season and less about what they did in their underwear.

Anyway around, what the Bengals did in the draft this year is AWESOME !!!

I'm becoming less and less convinced that OG is high on the Bengals radar.

Don't get me wrong... I'm hoping the Bengals OG early. But Wharton and Bell have a lot of starting experience, and the Bengals can bring back Bobbie Williams if the draft doesn't fall the right way.

Honestly, I think a guy is going to have to fall much further than expected for the Bengals to draft an OG in the first 2 rounds.

Care to re-think that? I don't think you can argue that Zeitler dropped. In fact most sites would say we reached for him.

It's clear that the Bengals knew G was a huge need and that they intended to use a 1st rd pick on one. I don't think they thought of FAs, Boling or Big Bobbie as an acceptable option

I think this is simply one of those times where a team has a particular player rated higher than other teams may.

If we are to believe what the team says, they had Zeitler rated as the better NFL propsect than DeCastro.

Considering that, taking him after trading down wouldn't be considered a reach.

I'm not saying I buy all of that, but i'm happy enough with Zeitler, that I don't really care.

They got a day one starter at a huge position of need and I won't quibble over it.

The analysts can say whatever they like...

I think this is simply one of those times where a team has a particular player rated higher than other teams may.

If we are to believe what the team says, they had Zeitler rated as the better NFL propsect than DeCastro.

Considering that, taking him after trading down wouldn't be considered a reach.

I'm not saying I buy all of that, but i'm happy enough with Zeitler, that I don't really care.

They got a day one starter at a huge position of need and I won't quibble over it.

The analysts can say whatever they like...

I take them at their word that they had Zeitler rated higher than Decastro but I also think they definitely wanted an OG in the 1st rd. It's not like they were sitting there astonished that he was still there at 27. That was their plan all along in trading down. They figured either Decastro or Zeitler would be there at 27. We know for a fact that D-linemen were also available there and they chose the guard

They have said that they were looking for the stronger OG, rather than the most athletic/pulling type. Zeit fits what they wanted and DeCastro didnt. Power running game upgrade. I dont see much difference between the 2 players, other than they have different strong points of an overall solid game. The Bengals for once targeted a player,didnt lose him a pick or 2 before they could choose, and didnt have to reach to get him.

Winning!!!! :smoke: