Draft

walzav29

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Banks has done his first mock. He gives the Bengals DeCastro and Jenkins.

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/02/22/2012.nfl.mock.draft.2/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

I have no problem with those picks. Two positions of need addressed in the 1st round.

I keep looking over running backs and still manage to come back to Chris Polk. I think Derek would agree that if he were to fall to us in the 2nd, that he would be an amazing fit for not only what we need in the AFCN, but what we do with the West Coast Offense. There's simply not another back not named Richardson that I think will bring what I believe Polk would. Blocks, runs between the tackles, and catches out of the backfield ?? Yes please. Take a peek...

Inside: Strong interior runner. Quickly presses the line of scrimmage and has the burst to get through the line of scrimmage and into the second level quickly. A classic North/South runner who doesn't waste time moving laterally. Good vision to set up cutback lanes as he gets to the open field. Doesn't possess elite breakaway speed, but is fast enough to gain yardage in chunks when he finds a seam. Fights for extra yardage and is a reliable short-yardage runner. Good forward lean. Keeps his legs churning on contact. Protects the ball with both hands.

Outside: Not truly explosive, but possesses enough speed to beat the linebacker to the edge. Looks to get upfield. Won't rely on his speed to run around defenders. Looks for the hole and can stick his foot in the ground and cut upfield quickly. Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.

Breaking tackles: Unquestionably his best attribute. Very physical runner who keeps his legs churning on contact. Rarely goes down with the first hit. Lowers his shoulder into defenders and shows a variety of natural running skills to break free, including a stiff-arm, spin move and pure determination. Runs low to the ground and with good forward lean to generate the tough yards. Keeps his arms wrapped securely around the ball.

Blocking: An underrated component of his game. Cognizant pass defender who is willing to take on the hard-charging linebacker head on. Keeps his shoulders square and brings his hips to jolt the defender. Will resort to cut-blocks, on occasion, and could use some technical work, as he'll lunge low. NFL pass rushers may be able to leap over him … Willing to help teammates downfield.

Receiving: Became more of a weapon out of the backfield in 2011 for the Huskies, catching passes out of the backfield on simple swing passes, as well as more complicated wheel routes and even occasionally lining up outside. Possesses the athleticism and soft hands to contribute to an NFL passing attack. Reliable hands out of the backfield, demonstrating the ability to quickly secure the pass and turn upfield. Demonstrated the ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Good flexibility, balance to adjust to the poorly thrown pass. Good vision and patience for screens.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631997/chris-polk

Ah yes Army... my man-crush on Chris Polk is well documented. He's a complete back. He can do it all, including short yardage situations... where the Bengals were terrible last year.

There is no question in my mind that he's a first round talent. But word is that his stock is falling because he isn't ripped like Richardson and Doug Martin appear to be. That rationale makes absolutely no sense to me. Since when does a guy's appearance with his shirt off trump game film?!

He's a great player... and I'll be smiling from ear to ear if he falls to the 53rd pick because he doesn't look as sexy as some other RBs do.

CJ's first draft nets the Bengals DeCastro, Gilmore and Polk.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/2/23/2818286/draft-2012-pre-combine-mock-draft-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-trent-goodberry-decastro-scouting#storyjump

S**t.

I just jizzed in my pants.

I don't expect DeCastro to be there at #17, I don't expect Gilmore to be there are #21, and I don't expect Polk to be there are #53. So if it works out like that... yeah, I'll have to do some laundry.

Now that the combine is over, i'm really left to hope we can do something (see anything) in free agency. If we could get a free agent to fill a hole we would probably end up filling with one of the first 3 picks, it would change the direction we could go.

I'm thinking they will go OG, CB, and RB (as are many others) with those picks and I can't say as I would mind that by any stretch, but if we could get one of those spots in free agency, maybe we could look at a safety, DE, LB, or even WR earlier than the 3rd.

Safety is the spot I would set a priority on, especially if they can't bring back Nelson. I've been thinking about that and can't help but be concerned about our safety position without him coming back. Who fills that spot ?? With the coaches thoughts that one of the young guys on the roster will be able to step up and fill the other, does anyone really feel comfortable with what it would look like minus Nelson ??

It's not to say he couldn't be upgraded, only that this doesn't appear to be the right time to attempt that.

Maybe i'm wrong...

Interesting mock from Ourlads.

/>http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-mock-draft/2012/

Bengals double down on DBs, take Kirkpatrick at 17 and Jenkins at 21. Kirkpatrick moves to safety.

Great idea... just have to make sure Kirkpatrick is ok with the switch.

He has Ed Reed type potential as a FS... but I think he has a relatively low ceiling as a CB.

I wouldn't say as that would bother me at all really, but if that was what they were thinking, how about sticking with either DeCastro should he fall or Glenn to couple with Jenkins and look for Trumaine Johnson in the 3rd to move from CB to FS ?? Many think that will be his best position and he has the size and speed for that spot. I've been thinking about him for a while actually.

So many options....

• 3 weeks later...

Here's CJ's Joe Goodberry & his mockone twitter mock. They do these over twitter, include trades, etc. Swaped the 17 and picked up some extra picks so we have 10 picks, I think. I would be happy with this draft.

/>http://www.mockone.net/MockDraft/MockDraft.php/mocksite/teamPage/6

Baylor and Rutgers WRs both ran fast this week, and probably jump into the second half of the first round.

Eagles got a MLBer which might drop the StX player into our lap.

these are good things for the Bengals at 17 and 21

on a personal note, I've known the Rutgers WR for several years-- nice kid, I hope that he's a big star.

Here's CJ's Joe Goodberry & his mockone twitter mock. They do these over twitter, include trades, etc. Swaped the 17 and picked up some extra picks so we have 10 picks, I think. I would be happy with this draft.

/>http://www.mockone.net/MockDraft/MockDraft.php/mocksite/teamPage/6

I dont like those picks much, need O-line help and a CB. Hall will never be the same player, and I was never really in love with him in the first place.

If it goes like they have it I would rather take Glenn and Kirkpatrick.

We did our first group mock on the CJ show tonight. Yours truly got to pick for the AFCN and AFCE this time around. At 17, the Bengals select Courtney Upshaw, DE/LB, Alabama, and at 21 take Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama. Here's the whole list:

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/22/2896266/real-football-talk-with-cincyjungle-com-brought-to-you-by-art-of

Since we are getting closer to the dradt and things are winding down, I started looking at how I think a Bengals only mock draft would look like.

Oddly enough, I can't get by the 4th round of guessing. After that, it seems like teams guys, practice squad probables, and camp bodies.

I guess that's a good sign of having a decent looking roster.

Oh yeah, I think all of those picks in through the first 4 rounds could get starting time, depending on how it fell.

I'm still along the lines of:

OG, CB, RB, FS, and WR (no order) through the first 4 rounds.

I suppose another DE and DT with our two 5th round picks.

Another CB ?? OLB ?? It could go many ways...

I know I'll be in the minority here, but I feel Trent is worth trading up for...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460rWittIY0&feature=related

He comes out of the SEC. Best division in college football hands down. We also have the picks to make it happen without too much harm. For me this dude is what the offense needs to make the jump to the next level.

Oh I beg to differ Billy. I think many people wouldn't mind seeing Trent in stripes and some (like me) would also be more than thrilled in seeing them trade up to make that happen. Dalton, Green, and Richardson would be a dream come true for me. I think it also would be nice to see the organization make moves of this nature. However, I still think the situation has to fall a particular way. Meaning, I don't see the Bengals trading up into the top 10 and Richardson would have to fall. I don't see him getting out of the top 10.

With the value placed on top 10 picks with the rookie wage scale, I don't see the Bengals wanting to give up the picks. If Ricardson would fall to #10, I would have no issue in giving up the #17, next years 2nd, and this years 3rd. To get him where I think he's going to go, I think it would take the #17, and this and next years 2nd round pick.

We have the pick coming from the raiders, so there's that. Again, I wouldn't complain.

I think fans would really get behind that kind of move.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen members here latch on and really pimp a player like we usually see.

I think the first round is kind of easy because of the direction we are probably going to go and is why I'm really big on Gilmore and Glenn. I love DeCastro, but don't expect him to be there. If he is, he's the pick.

Anyway, a player I haven't mentioned at all, but am hoping for is:

Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas

He appears to be over his injury and would provide us a dynamic #2. He could go in the 3rd or 4th and I would have no issue seeing a 3rd used on him. I'm sure others will disagree with it, but this is the guy i'm pimping outside our first three picks.

OVERVIEW

Were it not for a torn right patellar tendon that ended his junior season prematurely, Greg Childs might very well have joined his quarterback Ryan Mallett as an early entry into the 2011 NFL Draft.

Had that been the case, Childs would have proven on draft day what some NFL scouts had known all along; namely that he, not Mallett nor junior running back Knile Davis was the elite pro prospect for the Razorbacks.

Childs led the team with 46 grabs for 659 yards and six touchdowns when he went down with his injury against Vanderbilt. He played in all 13 games the year previous, starting eight contests and had 48 catches for 894 yards and six touchdowns.

Considering head coach Bobby Petrino's up-tempo offense and the talent around him, it perhaps isn't surprising that Childs' numbers are impressive. Statistics, however, are hardly the most impressive element to the 6-3, 215 pound receiver's game.

Childs' size and deceptive speed give him significant advantages over cornerbacks. He uses his height, leaping ability and impressive physicality to get the better of his opponents, as well.

ANALYSIS

Release: Too big and strong for most defenders at this level to test him in press coverage. Good lateral agility to avoid press and make them pay due to good acceleration and better straight-line speed than he's often credited with possessing. Eats up the cushion, showing better agility and precision as a route-runner than most receivers of his size.

Hands: Soft, reliable hands. Shows the ability to extend and pluck outside of his frame. Can track the ball over his shoulder, though he likes to turn back to the ball when he can. Excellent concentration and good body control. Good arm length and hand strength to snatch passes high and wide, as well as slightly behind him. Capable of making tough grabs with defenders clinging to him. Good toughness to take a hit and hang on. Appears to possess a strong vertical to go along with his excellent size, though he doesn't often enough use each to his advantage. Has to do a better job of timing his leap and snatching the ball at its highest point against NFL-caliber cornerbacks.

Route running: While Childs lacks elite straight-line speed, he keeps defenders off-balance with savvy route-running. Changes gears and uses head/shoulder fakes to draw defenders. Has a quick burst to sneak downfield, especially if he feels them attempting to jump a short route. Can plant his foot in the ground and show some explosiveness out of his break to create separation. Uses his size and burst to easily gain freedom on slants, crossers and the variety of quick screens in this offense. Not often asked to run deep outs in this offense, but appears to have the balance and quick feet to successfully do so.

After the catch: Attacks the football. Doesn't wait for it to come to him, but rather goes to it, helping him build momentum to generate yardage after the catch. Is a load to bring down. Possesses good size and strength to run through arm tackles. Physical receiver who challenges defensive backs by lowering his shoulder and churning his feet. Some lateral agility to elude, though he's most effective due to his strength and surprising (for his size) acceleration. Long-strider with deceptive speed to sneak downfield for the deep ball. Good vision. Looks for teammates to help him and allows his blocks to set up rather than running past them prematurely. Good body control to tap his feet before going out of bounds.

Blocking: Takes his role as a blocker seriously. Shows good strength and effort blocking downfield, locking up the corner and working to seal his opponent from the action. Often sent in motion so he can provide a crack back block on an unsuspecting defensive end.

Intangibles: Good competitive fire for the position. Understands his role as a blocker in this offense and looks to help his teammates. Has impressed his coaching staff and teammates with his dedication in his rehabilitation from the torn patellar tendon. Refused to wear a knee brace during spring football and caught 13 passes for 210 yards and a 21-yard touchdown during three spring scrimmages.

See the rest here:
/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632227/greg-childs

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of a new thread, I would like to pose a new question here.

#1. Seeing as how we now have three 5th round picks, what's the best use ??

#2. If they don't package any of those picks in a trade, would you consider using one on Vontaze Burfict ??

First thought is to use them to trade up. However, while I know many people say Burfict is useless and teams have completely taken him off their board, using one of our THREE picks in the fifth on him wouldn't be the be all and end all. Considering the possibility of Rey continuing his stupid decision making process and having Zimmer all no nonsense with him, I could think of worse ways to spend a 5th round pick. Again, we have 3.

Thoughts ??

Instead of a new thread, I would like to pose a new question here.

#1. Seeing as how we now have three 5th round picks, what's the best use ??

#2. If they don't package any of those picks in a trade, would you consider using one on Vontaze Burfict ??

First thought is to use them to trade up. However, while I know many people say Burfict is useless and teams have completely taken him off their board, using one of our THREE picks in the fifth on him wouldn't be the be all and end all. Considering the possibility of Rey continuing his stupid decision making process and having Zimmer all no nonsense with him, I could think of worse ways to spend a 5th round pick. Again, we have 3.

Thoughts ??

I'm not a big draft value guy, but I would like to see 1 or 2 of these picks be bundled with a 2nd or 3rd round pick to move up into the bottom of the first or top of the second. This would give the Bengals the best chance at three impact/starters

IMO they need rookie starters at CB, OG and #2 WR(could handle a RB with the third pick).