Draft

walzav29

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question we need DBs but we can get corners and safeties on the FA market.

If we want to have a dominent offense we need to start up front so I am with you Walzav any combination of two of these guys will work for me. David Decastro from Stanford, Cordy Glenn from Georgia, Kelechi Osemele from Iowa State, or Peter Konz from Wisconsin in that order of preference. We do that and we have set ourselves up to have the best OLine in the AFC which will make our QB, WR, and RB better.

We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. This is what I would like to see (In no particular order):

Guard

Safety

Running Back

#2 WR (if we don't get a FA)

Cornerback

I take it you're assuming we'll get a sandwich pick between the 3rd and 4th rd for losing J Joe? I wouldn't count that as in the bag just yet

We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. This is what I would like to see (In no particular order):

Guard

Safety

Running Back

Cornerback

I take it you're assuming we'll get a sandwich pick between the 3rd and 4th rd for losing J Joe? I wouldn't count that as in the bag just yet

I thought I read somewhere that the Bengals were not going to get a compensation pick for him.

Guard

Safety

Running Back

Cornerback

No one knows yet and if we do, it might be less than a back end 3rd rd

I thought I read somewhere that the Bengals were not going to get a compensation pick for him.

Joe Reedy has said all year that we won't get a compensatory pick for JJoe.

There's been a lot of contradictory info out there. For instance Reedy wrote that we would get a 3rd rd pick in Oct:

Considering the number of draft picks, it is fair to make some comparisons to the Cowboys-Vikings deal. The Raiders are in it now to win it the next couple years (like the Vikings were) and now the Bengals potentially have nine draft picks in the first three rounds the next two years. In 2012 they could have two firsts, one second and two thirds (the second being a compensatory pick for losing Johnathan Joseph to free agency) and in 2013 it is a first, two seconds and a third.

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/10/19/random-thoughts-post-palmer-trade-edition/

Since then I think he's amended it to a 4th or 5th rd pick because we did sign Clements to balance out the loss somewhat. If anyone has another, more recent update, please post it

Compensation cases

Since cornerback Johnathan Joseph signed with the Texans in late July, many have been wondering if the Bengals will receive a compensatory pick when those are announced at the league meetings in March. In light of the rules and one similar case, the Bengals aren’t counting on one.

Compensatory picks are doled out through a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors, but the key ingredient is there has to be a net loss of unrestricted free agents, which the Bengals did not have. The Bengals lost Joseph, offensive guard Evan Mathis and tackle Kirk Chambers. They signed linebackers Thomas Howard and Manny Lawson, quarterback Bruce Gradkowski and tight end Bo Scaife.

In the 2011 draft, the Texans did not receive a compensatory for the loss of cornerback Dunta Robinson because they had a net gain. Houston did receive a compensatory pick in the seventh round but that was because it was a slow year for free agency in an uncapped year and 12 of the 32 picks had not been awarded. Those picks went to the top 12 teams in the draft, including the Bengals and Texans.

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120107/SPT02/301070084/Newton-likely-rookie-favorite

Guard

Safety

Running Back

Cornerback

I've been out of the loop on that one. In that case, scratch the WR.

First three picks should be, in whatever order falls to us: man-to-man CB, ORG, pass-rushing DE, or cover safety. The DE is probably the lowest priority because I want to give Michael Johnson one more year to prove himself, albeit his 6 sacks in 2011 isn't too shabby

Next two picks after that (r3 r4) should be whatever we failed to pick of the 4 above, plus a sleek new power RB

After that, raw-ish athletic specimens at almost any position, depth\development picks

I kinda think the Brandon Ghee experiment is over. Got to move on.

I am really not sure what to make of the WR2 spot. Caldwell proved last year he can do it, but faded this year. Simpson had flashes of brilliance, but was inconsistent. Shipley might be back, maybe. BabyHawk impressed, but could he be a 2? I think I favor finding a solid/experienced 2 in FA, and then between that FA and the 4 question marks, one will emerge from camp competition. I'd also be up for using a mid to low pick to draft a speedy athletic specimen who could be developed as a 2, kinda like they intended with Caldwell. It'd be bonus if the draft pick was also a top flight return man so we could be rid of Tate.

The Bengals have done well with their draft picks in the first 3 rounds the past few years. This year they have 4 picks in the first 3. They can do alot of damage. Feeling confident the right decisions will be made however that works out. With FA actually happening before the draft unlike last season, we'll have a pretty clear idea what direction they will be heading when April comes around.

First three picks should be, in whatever order falls to us: man-to-man CB, ORG, pass-rushing DE, or cover safety. The DE is probably the lowest priority because I want to give Michael Johnson one more year to prove himself, albeit his 6 sacks in 2011 isn't too shabby

Next two picks after that (r3 r4) should be whatever we failed to pick of the 4 above, plus a sleek new power RB

After that, raw-ish athletic specimens at almost any position, depth\development picks

I kinda think the Brandon Ghee experiment is over. Got to move on.

I am really not sure what to make of the WR2 spot. Caldwell proved last year he can do it, but faded this year. Simpson had flashes of brilliance, but was inconsistent. Shipley might be back, maybe. BabyHawk impressed, but could he be a 2? I think I favor finding a solid/experienced 2 in FA, and then between that FA and the 4 question marks, one will emerge from camp competition. I'd also be up for using a mid to low pick to draft a speedy athletic specimen who could be developed as a 2, kinda like they intended with Caldwell. It'd be bonus if the draft pick was also a top flight return man so we could be rid of Tate.

We have finally reached an agreement.

Sports Illustrated writer Andrew Perloff released a Mock Draft on Tuesday that I just now happened upon.

I think he's crazy, but he has Trent Richardson falling to the Bengals at #17. If he is right, it will certainly be a good news/bad news situation.

The good news? The Bengals will have an absolute freak at RB to take pressure off of Dalton and AJ Green.

The bad news? How will I get this erection to go away?

Sports Illustrated writer Andrew Perloff released a Mock Draft on Tuesday that I just now happened upon.

I think he's crazy, but he has Trent Richardson falling to the Bengals at #17. If he is right, it will certainly be a good news/bad news situation.

The good news? The Bengals will have an absolute freak at RB to take pressure off of Dalton and AJ Green.

The bad news? How will I get this erection to go away?

Wow if this would happen, that would be just amazing. I just dont seem him getting past like the 11 spot or so, but if does wow!!

If he does fall there, what would #21 be then a Guard or CB, that would be a huge debate. Guess it depends if they do anything in free agency or not, but getting Richardson there would be great.

If Richardson is there at #17 you take him and supliment him with the best available Guard at #21 worry about the defense later, let's face it the top teams in the league were all pass happy offenses with no discernable defensive prowess. Even though Richardson is a running back, he is fast with great hands and has great moves in space and can be a great compliment to our passing attack. I would like to see an offensive heavy draft this year, there is alot of great offensive talent particularly at O-Line so a RB, a Guard, a WR, a second Guard/Center, a FB would all be on my priority list.

If Richardson is there at #17 you take him and supliment him with the best available Guard at #21 worry about the defense later, let's face it the top teams in the league were all pass happy offenses with no discernable defensive prowess. Even though Richardson is a running back, he is fast with great hands and has great moves in space and can be a great compliment to our passing attack. I would like to see an offensive heavy draft this year, there is alot of great offensive talent particularly at O-Line so a RB, a Guard, a WR, a second Guard/Center, a FB would all be on my priority list.

I agree with that. If Richardson should fall to #17, which I doubt, you have to take him. The Bengals will probably standpat at 17 and 21, as they should, and see what falls to them. There seems to be alot of various talent available especially in the first round.

I would like to see the Bengals look at a cornerback and safety with one of their top 4 picks. I would also like them to seriously consider drafting another Pat Sims like run stuffer at DT if they can't resign Sims. The Bengals sorely lacked that pocket collapsing type DT presence after Sims went down.

They can shore up at Guard and WR in FA if draft picks aren't available in the first 3 rounds.

Alot of ways they can go in the draft. Very excited about this offseason.

Anybody else as high as I am on Isaiah Pead out of UC? Right now, he's grading out as a 3rd round prospect. He runs hard, he's got that competetive "high motor", blocks well, and is very elusive. Timed at a 4.42 40. And no, I'm not being a UC homer here but I like him coming out as much as I wanted us to draft Conner Barwin.

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2012_RB