Wildcard GAME THREAD

Scottishbengal

Here we go ... the playoffs have arrived! Cincinnati are undoubtedly a surprise participant after the roster upheavels of the close season and although they will be underdogs in this, and any preceeding games, it's very much a case of Any Given Sunday (or even Saturday).

The teams match up fairly well as was borne out in Week 14 with a 20-19 Texnas victory being stolen in the final seconds.

The Bengals gain 320yds per game (209 pass, 111 rush)

The Texans allow 286yds per game (190 pass, 96 rush)

Texans gain 372yds per game (219 pass, 153 rush)

Bengals allow 316yds per game (211 pass, 105 rush)

From the above averages you'd expect the Texans to hit 340yds (215 pass, 125 rush) and the Bengals 305yds (200 pass, 105 rush) so slight edge to Texans

The Bengals score an ave 21 points per game and allow 20. The Texans score an ave 23 and allow 17. Another close game with a FG or single score the difference. Slight edge to Texans.

3rd down conversions are going to be critical in keeping possession thus keeping opposition D on the field and controlling the clock. Bengals convert 36% and Texans allow 36% to be converted. Houston themselves convert 41% whilst the Bengals allow 36% conversion. On paper this stat is going to be as close as the points score with a very slight edge to Texans.

The Texans have racked up 2166 rushing yards and 14 TDs between Foster and Tate.

The Bengals have gained 1447 yards and 9 TDs between Benson and Scott.

Edge to Texans.

Green & Simpson have caught for a combined 1782 yards and 11TDs whereas Daniels & Foster are a combined 1294 yards and 5 TDs. Big edge to Bengals.

Dalton has put up 3398 passing yards and 20TDs whereas Yates has stepped into the breech due to injuries and fired up 949 yards and 3 TDs. Big edge to Bengals.

The Bengals, although boasting a good road record this season have never won a play-off game outside of Cincinnati and the Texans have home field advantage so edge to Texans.

Although the majority of the stats leans to favour Houston I can see the Bengals winning this one. If Cincy can block up Houstons running game they will force Yates to try and beat them through the air and I can see Dunlap and Atkins having some success getting him on the turf. Stop the run, limit 3rd down conversions, put an end to the needless penalties and the Bengals could win this by a couple of scores.

My prediction ..... Houston 17 Bengals 27

Wherever you are I hope you enjoy the game. WHODEY!!!

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to pick the Bengals. I really would. But nothing this year, or throughout Marvin's tenure, shows me that they can win the big games. They couldn't beat Houston a month ago, in a game that Lewis declared the biggest of his career in Cincy, and they couldn't beat Baltimore last week to guarantee a playoff spot. So I think they break our hearts one more time. Texans 24, Bengals 17.

Been a fun ride, tho.

Just to throw in my two cents...

Getting Andre Johnson back does help them... but even when he's been healthy, Yates hasn't shown the ability to consistently get him the ball downfield. So, how much that actually helps them remains to be seen.

Same with Dunlap though. He had a good game against Arizona... but other than that, he hasn't been the same since the injury. Only time will tell if having him back will make a palpable difference.

I'm not worried about their home-field advantage. Houston has lost their last 2 home games, and the Bengals have been a better road team all year.

I don't have a big feeling about this game one way or the other. Pretty much every prediction I've read has either the Bengals or the Texans winning by 7 points or fewer. I agree with that assessment, and give the Bengals a 50/50 shot at winning this game.

the Bengals a 50/50 shot at winning this game.

surely that's true with ANY game .....they will either win it or not

I want to experience week 19 for the first time.

In Bengaldom "week 19" can only be achievable through time-travel or rooting for another team!! Lets hope that can change tonight

My stomach is already tied in knots with nerves.

I'm not sure why I watch football. All it does is make me anxious and angry with small periods of relief following a win :P

I'vebeen pumped all week - so looking forward to this game. I don't care that the Bengals limped (backed) into the play-offs, they're there and thats all that counts. For a bloke in his late 40's I've been as nervy as a wee scottish was on xmas eve ......... counting down the minutes until kick-off

the Bengals a 50/50 shot at winning this game.

surely that's true with ANY game .....they will either win it or not

Just because there are only two outcomes doesn't make it a 50/50 chance.

Does a high-school team have a 50/50 chance at beating the Green Bay Packers? Would they win roughly 50 out of 100 games?

Well its going to take the bengals best game to win it, a complete game for once. If they can play like they did against the Titans in the second half, i really believe they can win! However if they play like they have the last couple weeks i think they may stuggle to get a win! I would love to see Dalton have his best game, with a power running game. No turnovers and no stupid penalties please. I just dont know what team we will see today, but im just ready to see a playoff win! Marvin win the big game, get yours and your teams confidence up!

Here is my take on it! First off, we were written off before the season started! This past week, John Madden said on the Sirus radio that he had no idea how Cincy and Houston even got in the playoffs! We’re not predicted to win by the experts; the same experts that stated that we’d be lucky to win two games this season! Guess what folks, we’re in the playoffs and we did it without Palmer, 85, and TO!! Oh yea and the mighty Jets will be on the couch watching us play!!

We almost beat Houston in the regular season; well we should have beat them. If we come out and play a full game, avoid three and outs, penalties and turn overs, we have a good chance of moving forward in the playoffs. We cannot settle for field goals, cannot give up the big play on defense, and cannot play loose with of DB’s! I say run the ball down their throats and throw short passes, down and out and across the middle all game!!

My prediction: Bengals 17 Houston 14!

If we’re a head at the end of the game and we give the ball to Yates with time on the clock, we’re in trouble!!!!

WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY WHO DEY