Gruden "Favorite" to Helm Jaguars?

HoosierCat

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would truly be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Ever. I love what Jay has done here, but he's really only been on the NFL beat with serious responsibilities for 5 months. Five. I cannot imagine a team seriously considering him for a head coaching job with such a scant resume. It just makes no sense.

Well that would just suck if true. I think that puts a set back then for Dalton if Gruden does not return next year. I hope he would just stay here and finish some business with Dalton!

I wonder if Zampesse would be the one to take the job, but not sure if he would be a WCO guy, or knows how to run it. I hope the rumor is not true, would like to see Gruden stick around for a full offseason.

That would truly be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Then you must not have heard many ridiculous things in your life. Gruden has been coaching professional football in the AFL, UFL and NFL for 15 years. He's worked under his brother Jon, Jim Haslett and now Marvin Lewis. As head coach of the Tuskers he took the team to the championship game in 2010. Shoot, the guy's got a Super Bowl ring from his time in Tampa. He's hardly unqualified for consideration.

Five months, hoosier, five months at the level of coordinator in the NFL. That's it. Yes, I am discounting AFL and UFL head coaching experience as being a good resume builder for going straight to an NFL head coaching job.

I mentioned it somewhere else and will mention it again. I hope he stays here for a while, because I think he is an up and coming offensive coordinator in the league. I don't think AT THIS POINT IN TIME, that he's an up and coming head coach. How long had Zimmer been having success as a coordinator before getting looks at a HC position ?? I just think it's to early and I think the Jags would be making a huge mistake. Think Jason Garrett, but probably worse.

Not saying it's impossible for him to have success there, but thinking it's unlikely. He's not responsible for the whole seasons success here.

Five months, hoosier, five months at the level of coordinator in the NFL. That's it. Yes, I am discounting AFL and UFL head coaching experience as being a good resume builder for going straight to an NFL head coaching job.

If someone had 15 years of success in college coaching no one would bat an eye. But 15 years of success in pro ball and he isn't qualified for a pro job?

Lunacy.

Yeah, I don't understand why he's such a hot name. Yes, the Bengals have done well this season under him, but they haven't exactly lit up the scoreboard.

I think he has a world of potential as an eventual candidate, but wouldn't teams want to see him have some consistent success in his current position before completely handing over the reigns?

I further reject the argument that says that AFL/UFL head coaching experience is remotely equivalent to major college Div. I head coaching experience.

Maybe... but it's still head coaching experience, which is more than most first time head coaches have. And it was suggested that Del Rio's problem was that he was a defensive coach... and wasn't able to adapt to his duties on the offensive side of the ball as a head coach. Gruden has proven he is at least a capable head coach more than most coordinators have an opportunity to, so that is probably appealing to the Jaguars.

I also think there is a bit of a new paradigm with hiring head coaches in the NFL. Mike Tomlin was a DB coach in TB for 4 years, and then a defensive coordinator for only one year with the Vikings before being hired as the Steelers head coach.

I think more and more teams are hoping to find the next young up-and-comer. Jay Gruden fits the bill just about as well as anyone else out there... and he gets name recognition from his brother to boot.

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable handing him a head coaching job just yet... but it won't really surprise me if another team does.

I also think there is a bit of a new paradigm with hiring head coaches in the NFL. Mike Tomlin was a DB coach in TB for 4 years, and then a defensive coordinator for only one year with the Vikings before being hired as the Steelers head coach.

I think it was more like 6 years in TB -- the same amount of time Gruden spent in Tampa on the offensive side of the ball -- but yes, I was just about to bring that example up.

As to the comparability of the AFL or UFL to college coaching, I'd agree there's no comparison. College is easier. Ask Jeff Jagodzinski: 20-8 at Boston College, 3-5 in the UFL. In fact, I think the NFL is probably easier. Ask Denny Green, who left the NFL with a winning record but couldn't generate one as a UFL coach. At least in the NFL your players aren't playing with cell phones tucked into their jocks in case an NFL franchise calls, and you actually get to draft college players and develop them, versus claiming NFL guys who might show or might not.

That would truly be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Ever.

This is the team that saw Dave Shula promoted to HC on the off chance that he accidentally got some useful genes. We're Bengals fans, we eat ridiculous for breakfast.

I do agree that Jay could use a little more seasoning, but bear in mind this is a weird year - I haven't heard many other names fall into the "hot assistant" category. Could be the lockout, don't know. But the longer that Cowher and Gruden the Elder stay away, the less credible they become as potential hot coaches.

With vacancies in TB, MIA, STL, JAX, and probably IND (let Caldwell stop twisting in the wind already!), I think there may be more openings than high-profile candidates to fill them, unless you look at either the bad retread pile (lookin' at you, Wade Phillips) or assistants with less than perfect resumes (Jay Gruden, I've even heard Schottenheimer the Younger mentioned after the Jets debacle).

Long story short, this is a weird year, weird stuff happens.

National Football Post is also hearing that Gruden is a "strong" candidate.

/>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jay-Gruden-talk-picking-up-in-Jacksonville.html

Meanwhile the Chicago Trib is reporting, contra Breer, that Mike Mularky is the "leading" candidate for the job.

One thing that could work against Gruden, assuming the reports are true, is that the Jags are said to want to move quickly on getting a new coach hired. So the longer the Bengals stay alive in the playoffs the more likely it is they go in another direction.

Here is what qualifies someone as an NFL head coach....a team hires him for the job.

Was Mike Tomlin "qualified", with one season as Minnesota's DC and no HC experience. How about Brian Billick? Billick never played football after pee-wee and was a Coordinator for just 3 years prior to HC in Baltimore no previous HC experience. Raheem Morris was a Secondary coach before getting promoted to HC. Bill Cowher was a Special Teams Coach for most of his pre-HC coaching career, he was Def Coordinator for KC for just 2 years and had no other HC experience. Jim Zorn was likewise never a coordinator (well was a coodinator for about 2 months in the pre-season) before getting promoted to HC. Joe Gibbs was an Offensive Coordinator for 3 seasons with no HC experience at all before getting his first crack in Washington. Heck Jay's Brother was a coordinator for 2 seasons with no HC experience prior to Oakland.

I've hired guys who were uber-qualified that were awful (for a football example see Turner, Norv), I've hired guys off the street with no previous experience that were brillant, in fact the best employee I have ever had came in with absolutely no experience and within a year he was basicly managing my network. Just depends on the guy and Jay is as good a candidate as any.

I believe Zimmer and Gruden may very well be gone by the end of the year and Marvin will have to find replacements that will mesh well with the guys he has, that is what a good Head Coach does after all.

According to NFL Network, Zimmer is now being mentioned in connection to the Tampa Bay job.

After the season we've had, it would be such a kick in the guy to lose both of our coordinators.

It is a serious compliment, means we are doing something right here.

National Football Post is also hearing that Gruden is a "strong" candidate.

/>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jay-Gruden-talk-picking-up-in-Jacksonville.html

Meanwhile the Chicago Trib is reporting, contra Breer, that Mike Mularky is the "leading" candidate for the job.

One thing that could work against Gruden, assuming the reports are true, is that the Jags are said to want to move quickly on getting a new coach hired. So the longer the Bengals stay alive in the playoffs the more likely it is they go in another direction.

There was also a report out of Jacksonville that they didnt even contact the bengals about Gruden!

As far as Zim goes, if he leaves get Jack Del Rio on the line right away i would take him to run this defense.

There was also a report out of Jacksonville that they didnt even contact the bengals about Gruden!

No one has said they contacted the Bengals.

Update: Now Breer claims they have indeed contacted the Bengals

The Jacksonville Jaguars have contacted Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden about their head coach vacancy, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation.

Gruden told the Jaguars that while he's interested, he wants to focus on Saturday's AFC Wild Card Game against the Houston Texans. The Jaguars are still expected to bring Gruden in for an interview, but the coach is aware of the risk he is taking in waiting. Gruden was told he's a strong candidate for the opening, according to sources.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825bb871/article/jaguars-have-strong-interest-in-bengals-oc-gruden?module=HP11_headline_stack

No one has said they contacted the Bengals.

Update: Now Breer claims they have indeed contacted the Bengals

The Jacksonville Jaguars have contacted Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden about their head coach vacancy, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation.

Gruden told the Jaguars that while he's interested, he wants to focus on Saturday's AFC Wild Card Game against the Houston Texans. The Jaguars are still expected to bring Gruden in for an interview, but the coach is aware of the risk he is taking in waiting. Gruden was told he's a strong candidate for the opening, according to sources.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825bb871/article/jaguars-have-strong-interest-in-bengals-oc-gruden?module=HP11_headline_stack

I didnt think they were allowed to do that, i guess i was wrong.

Well that sucks i was hoping he was going to stay around for awhile. Well who knows maybe Zampesse will get his chance now, and maybe they will bring in Ken Anderson to help out Dalton as QB coach.

If Zimmer leaves i think they need to look at Jack Del Rio who i think would come here since him and Marvin are good friends.