Safety

I am having a hard time getting a hold on safeties in this draft. As others have mentioned a back half playmaker on D would be a great addition. I know guys like Mark Barron, Markelle Martin and RayRay Edwards are ranked pretty high but no one really stands out to me. There was a guy in an earlier game today that I forgot about who was playing some good safety. He was an undergrad and they were saying he might have to make a decision coming up. I think it might have been Rambo actually. Any thoughts on him?

There aren't any safeties worthy of a 1st round pick.

Mark Barron is probably the first safety that will be drafted, but he's a big hitter who struggles in man coverage. In other words... the Bengals already have Taylor Mays on their roster.

I'm actually a bigger fan of Alabama's other safety Robert Lester if he's there in the 3rd round. He's more a of a ball-hawking type who is better in coverage than the safeties the Bengals currently have.

I think Lester and Reggie Nelson would actually make a pretty good pair... and hopefully Taylor Mays will keep improving to add good depth.

I am having a hard time getting a hold on safeties in this draft. As others have mentioned a back half playmaker on D would be a great addition. I know guys like Mark Barron, Markelle Martin and RayRay Edwards are ranked pretty high but no one really stands out to me. There was a guy in an earlier game today that I forgot about who was playing some good safety. He was an undergrad and they were saying he might have to make a decision coming up. I think it might have been Rambo actually. Any thoughts on him?

Rambo out of Georgia i like him alot. Im just curious as too what they will rank him. He is a true ball hawk, i do think he may be alittle undersized, but i like him and is pretty good in coverage. I say if he is there later on in the draft to get him, but not sure how high safety is on the bengals list. Now that they got Mays, i just wonder if they will go after somebody else or not. I do like Nelson, and hope he comes back, but Crocker is getting old, not sure how much he will have left.

Any word on free agent safeties available this offseason? I typically prefer to fix things through the draft, but we've got too many needs to cover everything.

I think that the two of note are LaRon Landry and Michael Griffin.

Landry is great when he's healthy... but he's missed 15 games in the past two years because of injury, and I believe he had to have surgery on his achilles a few months ago.

Griffin is a decent FS as far as I understand... but Titans fans don't seem that concerned about making sure he comes back, so he probably leaves something to be desired.

Either way... the Bengals may be able to upgrade, but I'm guessing it will only be marginal. There aren't any true playmakers at the Safety position available this offseason.

Any word on free agent safeties available this offseason? I typically prefer to fix things through the draft, but we've got too many needs to cover everything.

Griffin is a decent FS as far as I understand... but Titans fans don't seem that concerned about making sure he comes back, so he probably leaves something to be desired.

I'd take Griffin after watching him pretty closely the past few seasons. He is somewhat injury prone, but he makes plays which is something our secondary needs. A tad inconsistent, but what else is new?

Anybody watching Barron tonight from Alabama he could be a pretty good safety!

Keep your eyes on Lester while you're at it.

I think between Reggie Nelson, Taylor Mays, and Robert Sands, the Bengals have plenty of Strong Safety types. They need a true FS... and Lester might be that guy.

I dont know much about Lester but i will follow him. Is he a first round guy, or more of a second.

Anybody watching Barron tonight from Alabama he could be a pretty good safety!

Keep your eyes on Lester while you're at it.

I think between Reggie Nelson, Taylor Mays, and Robert Sands, the Bengals have plenty of Strong Safety types. They need a true FS... and Lester might be that guy.

I dont know much about Lester but i will follow him. Is he a first round guy, or more of a second.

Probably more of a 3rd... but he's still a better fit in Cincy.

You know watching this Alabama defense and wow they are good, i like watching the d-lineman Gentry. He seems to be a high motor guy who is just getting in the backfield play after play. I think they said he is a Senior, if he is there late rounds i wouldnt mind them looking at him, for more rotation to the d-line, if they lose some guys.