Bengals at Houston pregame Wild Card weekend chatter

jjakq27

Dunlap did not play, and I think he's back in game shape now. I compare Houston to us in 09. They are crumbling at the end of the season, and the Bengals will come in loose. Yates is 2-3 and there is alot of pressure on them being at home. We do have a few guys from the 09 playoffs, so that should help a little it. I have finally accepted that we won't blow anyone out this year, but we win this game

Bengals 23

Texans 20

As for Palmer. I think his wife nagged him into wanting to leave, and although he did leave before the draft. It was insulting to a franchise that built around him. He was faaaaar from perfect and he was The Guy here. He was not going to be replaced. The guy has no heart. Yes the Bengals have problems, but currently the Raiders are even more dysfunctional. The only difference is they play in California. He was 4-5 13 TD and 16 int. Which was on par for what he did in Cincy. There are some beautiful throws, but he has problems reading defenses.

Dunlap did not play, and I think he's back in game shape now. I compare Houston to us in 09. They are crumbling at the end of the season, and the Bengals will come in loose. Yates is 2-3 and there is alot of pressure on them being at home. We do have a few guys from the 09 playoffs, so that should help a little it. I have finally accepted that we won't blow anyone out this year, but we win this game

Bengals 23

Texans 20

The funny thing about this game to me is that I have no hate whatsoever for the Texans. I've always been a fan of Andre Johnson and always kind of sympathetic to Houston's history. It may end up helping the Bengals' focus that they collapsed against them last time. The Texans have a solid defense/run game foundation and - regardless of who starts at QB - should be a relatively tough out if the Bengals are going to move on. At the same time, the Bengals seem to have lost some of their confidence and those 2 Ray Rice runs were uncomfortable reminders of the 90's Bengals. I was pretty surprised that the defense went out like that. If they're going to win this week, they've got to clean that s**t up. Otherwise, if they get down big in Reliant Stadium it will be rocking there. All that said, I don't see any advantage to either team in terms of experience or nerves. Other than Denver, however, (which I think is the weakest PO team in either conference) I think we got as good a draw as possible with this game and it IS winnable.

Reedy update:

The Bengals began preparations for Saturday’s game against Houston with a 90-minute practice at Paul Brown Stadium. The session was held two hours later than the usual first practice of the week.

Everyone was dressed and practicing in one form or another Safety Taylor Mays and defensive end Carlos Dunlap, who have been battling hamstring injuries, worked out mostly on the side during the first 30 minutes, which are open to the media. Mays was inactive for the regular-season finale against Baltimore while Dunlap did play.

Even though it is a Saturday game, both teams did not have to file an injury report on Tuesday.

Quarterback T.J. Yates took his normal amount of snaps and affirmed during a conference call that he intends to start.

According to The Houston Chronicle, offensive guard Mike Brisel (leg) returned to practice. Offensive lineman Derek Newton, safety Troy Nolan, linebacker Bryan Braman and cornerback Jason Allen didn’t practice. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph (ankle) was limited.

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/01/03/tuesday-practice-update/

Bengals 23

Texans 20

The funny thing about this game to me is that I have no hate whatsoever for the Texans. I've always been a fan of Andre Johnson and always kind of sympathetic to Houston's history. It may end up helping the Bengals' focus that they collapsed against them last time. The Texans have a solid defense/run game foundation and - regardless of who starts at QB - should be a relatively tough out if the Bengals are going to move on. At the same time, the Bengals seem to have lost some of their confidence and those 2 Ray Rice runs were uncomfortable reminders of the 90's Bengals. I was pretty surprised that the defense went out like that. If they're going to win this week, they've got to clean that s**t up. Otherwise, if they get down big in Reliant Stadium it will be rocking there. All that said, I don't see any advantage to either team in terms of experience or nerves. Other than Denver, however, (which I think is the weakest PO team in either conference) I think we got as good a draw as possible with this game and it IS winnable.

AFC North dominance. I see three AFCN teams left after this weekend. It'll make the Browns feel good that they lost 6 of their games to the best conference in NFL this year.

I just want to see the Bengals play like they did against the Texans the first time. Minus the last 4 minutes.

Bengals 23

Texans 20

AFC North dominance. I see three AFCN teams left after this weekend. It'll make the Browns feel good that they lost 6 of their games to the best conference in NFL this year.

I just want to see the Bengals play like they did against the Texans the first time. Minus the last 4 minutes.

Yep play like they did first time minus the prevent defense in the second half. They have to keep pressure on Yates all the time, they need to stop the run, i know the texans will get there yards, but dont let them get any huge running plays, stay in your lanes defense!

Offense needs to keep the peddle down, and they will need a good game from dalton. I would like to see a big run game from the bengals, and keep running the ball. The texans do give up over 4 yards per carry, and it showed in the first half of the first game. No turnovers no stupid penalties, and walk out of there with a win!

Biggest thing to me is they have to believe they can win, then they have to go out and prove they can win. If they can win it will go along way for this team showing that they can win the big games.

I'm sorry to beat this topic to death but...

You've got several players with some nagging injuries and the team is practicing outside in the 20 degree weather preparing for a game to be played indoors.

Meanwhile, there is a practice bubble 3 miles up the road in Clifton. Unused. I highly doubt that the team is able to get a completely productive practice in 25 degrees considering injuries and weather. Just makes no sense.

• Like 1

Tuning into Houston sports radio this morning.

These guys are literally giving the Bengals NO chance to win this game. Saying "the Bengals are simply an inferior opponent...the Texans are due to score alot of points and it should come against the Bengals".

It's actually worse than the Steelers and Ravens radio commentators the week before the game.

The biggest topic they are discussing is "should we open or close the roof?" and "how can we get fans in their seats before kickoff?".

They are also discussing how the Texans will approach the matchup against the Ravens.

Humourous.

I was reading some Texans message boards, and the one thing I took from nearly all of the commentary -- it reminded me of Cincinnati after the 2005 season.

The stadium will be rocking. The city is due. It's been so long. [insert star player] is finally going to the playoffs. He will be unstoppable.

You can tell these fans haven't tasted the playoffs in a very long time. I hope the Bengals give them the rude awakening they're asking for.

I was reading some Texans message boards, and the one thing I took from nearly all of the commentary -- it reminded me of Cincinnati after the 2005 season.

The stadium will be rocking. The city is due. It's been so long. [insert star player] is finally going to the playoffs. He will be unstoppable.

You can tell these fans haven't tasted the playoffs in a very long time. I hope the Bengals give them the rude awakening they're asking for.

I know this is in jest but it actually got me thinking about their homefield advantage and how that will affect us. Certainly won't be a positive. On a neutral field with their QB I think we win but what scares me most is that we tend to make mediocre QBs look good...see Yates in the first game and the stadium likely will be rocking.

I know this is in jest but it actually got me thinking about their homefield advantage and how that will affect us. Certainly won't be a positive. On a neutral field with their QB I think we win but what scares me most is that we tend to make mediocre QBs look good...see Yates in the first game and the stadium likely will be rocking.

We've been a good road team this year for whatever reason. That doesn't bother me as much as the general inconsistency and the disjointed offense we've been seeing lately. Here's hoping they find their groove at just the right time.

Dalton out of practice today due to illness. Bengals say it isn't serious so it's probably ebola or bubonic plague or something. He may already be dead. ;)

Gradkowski leading the troops today.

The dreaded unspecified illness. :lol:

I would be surprised if they weren't jacked up in Houston. This is the franchise's tenth season and first playoff game and the Houston Oilers last playoff game was 1993 in Houston.

I have several points that I see as keys to Saturday's game.

Texans

Andre Johnson's return

Bengals' ability to cover the TE

familiarity with Dalton having seen him a month ago

the noise factor of the crowd/indoor stadium

Bengals

Carlos Dunlap

familiarity with Yates having seen him a month ago

Dalton has played at Reliant Stadium three times previously

The pressure of getting to the playoffs is now off

A good number of players have previous playoff experience from 2009 and other places

To me the main things are to get a lead early and not play from behind. Keep the Texans to 20 points or less and win the turnover battle. I know these are obvious but things that have proven out during Marvin's tenure.

Dalton out of practice today due to illness. Bengals say it isn't serious so it's probably ebola or bubonic plague or something. He may already be dead. ;)

Gradkowski leading the troops today.

The dreaded unspecified illness. :lol:

Marvin says Dalton is expected back tomorrow so I guess the medical staff got that zombie virus perfected...:)

I had this virus a few days ago. It's terrible and highly contageous. The good news is that it only lasts 24 hours. The bad news is that there's bound to be someone on the team that comes down with it on gameday.

He said on Rome today they sent him home today, gave him his IV and told him to rest today. He said he should be back tomorrow practicing. Bad part is today was the big practice they put on pads which they have not done in awhle. I hope this helps the defense and o-line become alittle more physical out there this weekend they need it.

Yay! More inaccurate bitching about Mike Brown! Just what this board needed!

What?

The coaches wanted to practice outside?????!!!! Why, that Mike Brown! How savvy to Jedi-mind trick the coaches like that!