Bengals at Houston pregame Wild Card weekend chatter

jjakq27

I honestly don't know how any Bengals fan cannot be excited about the future of this team. The Bengals don't lose big games because of Lewis. They've lost big games because they are young and don't have quite enough playmakers...yet.

A) I am very excited about this team.

B) I think that this team had the same problems last year and every year of Marvins era in Cincy. Fumbles, penalties, bonehead plays at bad times, lack of creativity on off and defense etc.

I agree with that but I would say that the bonehead plays and penalties have significantly decreased. The lack of playmakers at certain positions inhibits the flexibility of the playcalling. Let's face it. We don't have a Ray Rice or Troy Polomalu. Players like that make a huge difference with the kinds of plays that can be called.

Let's see what they can do in the draft and FA this offseason.

I think Marvin Lewis is one of the best motivators in the NFL. I also think he's below average as a game manager (and builder of game plans) and possibly the outright worst with clock management.

That is to say, no he's not perfect. He's clearly not terrible either.

First of all, there is no coach who manages the clock worse than Andy Reid. If you don't believe me, ask a Philly fan.

Secondly, while Marvin has in the past had trouble with clock management, the problem has pretty much disappeared. The Bengals were at their best this year in during the 2-minute drill, at the end of both halves. And this was with a rookie QB!

Some want to credit Jay Gruden with that... and that's possible. If so, I blame Brat more than Marvin. Marvin is a defensive coach, so it's not a surprise that he had a learning curve on managing the clock on the offensive side of the ball.

Regardless... it's not a valid complaint anymore, because it's been one of the strengths of the team this year.

I would say that the bonehead plays and penalties have significantly decreased.

Yep. The Bengals ranked 13th in penalties this year. In '09 they ranked 30th.

In all of the things that Marvin gets flack for, he is improving significantly.

The nice thing is that unlike most teams, the Bengals were patient with Marvin. A lot of first time head coaches get fired, and then become good coaches on their 2nd or sometimes 3rd stint. Brown was loyal to Marvin, and I think it is starting to pay dividends.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OAKLAND, Calif. – He stood stoically in the players’ parking lot at the O.co Coliseum, a squirming toddler in his arms and an offseason of second guesses, regrets and What if's on his mind.

For Oakland Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer, coming to terms with his and his teammates’ failure to seize an AFC West title that was wholly within their grasp was a giant bummer. It was only as he released his nearly 3-year-old daughter to mingle with her mother and twin brother that it dawned on Palmer that the final Sunday of the season, and the first day of 2012, might have played out in even more maddening fashion.

“Did Cincinnati get in?” Palmer asked, mindful that the Bengals – the team for which he played his first eight NFL seasons before refusing to report last summer, commencing a stare down that led to the October trade which sent him to Oakland – had lost a pivotal game to the Baltimore Ravens.

Yes, he was told, the Bengals had backed into the AFC’s final wild-card spot.

“Are you serious?” Palmer said. “At what, 9 and 7? And they play at Houston? Cincy will beat Houston, watch.”

To be fair, Palmer’s tone contained no bitterness. It was more one of bemused resignation, a feeling to which many NFL fans can relate.

OAKLAND, Calif. – He stood stoically in the players’ parking lot at the O.co Coliseum, a squirming toddler in his arms and an offseason of second guesses, regrets and What if's on his mind.

For Oakland Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer, coming to terms with his and his teammates’ failure to seize an AFC West title that was wholly within their grasp was a giant bummer. It was only as he released his nearly 3-year-old daughter to mingle with her mother and twin brother that it dawned on Palmer that the final Sunday of the season, and the first day of 2012, might have played out in even more maddening fashion.

“Did Cincinnati get in?” Palmer asked, mindful that the Bengals – the team for which he played his first eight NFL seasons before refusing to report last summer, commencing a stare down that led to the October trade which sent him to Oakland – had lost a pivotal game to the Baltimore Ravens.

“Are you serious?” Palmer said. “At what, 9 and 7? And they play at Houston? Cincy will beat Houston, watch.”

To be fair, Palmer’s tone contained no bitterness. It was more one of bemused resignation, a feeling to which many NFL fans can relate.

To be fair, he's a douche.

To be fair, he's a douche.

he is not a douche, i believe he will always be a bengals fan and loves bengals, but he moved on for his family. get over with it. (i still proudly wear palmer orange bengals jersey) i am proud he pick bengals to beat houston.

I look at the overall package of the team - players and coaches - and I think we're in a good place.

Who would have taken Dalton ahead of other QBs on offer? Who could have gotten more out of Dalton this season?

With a young team, and rookies in key positions I believe the players have made a statement that they are playing for the coaches, and the team is succeeding because of the "environment" not inspite of it.

At the start of the season we had a rookie QB with some ??, a rookie wide reciever, a new OC. There was a lock-out which limited training camps/practices and time to learn playbooks and time spent between players and coaching staff. In spite of all this we have a play-off game to look forward to on Saturday.

Can ML improve his (and his staffs') coaching/clock management/game tactics?? Has ML taken us as far as he can? Can ML win a play-off match?? These qustions will be answered in the fullness of time but I think he has earnt the right to get our support wholeheartedly for the Texans game.

Bring it on!!

WHODEY

The defense i think will be the factor in this game. The defense needs to get much better, they have showed agaisnt good teams that they are not a top defense. However agaisnt average teams they seem to look pretty good, so i think there needs to be more consistancy with that group. Guys were getting mulled over yesterday, not getting off there blocks, and as much as i want to like Rey, right now he is not that great. I watched him yesterday not getting off his blocks, i just hope he figures it out soon, that sky is the limit for him, but now is the time to show it.

Offense no turnovers, run the ball (houston give up over 4 yards per carry, and take what there defense give you. O-Line needs to get there pads down low, and be more physical. Defense stop the run, put pressure on Yates, dont play prevent defense, and who knows the bengals can come out of there with a win.

Stop Houston running.

Run the ball well ourselves.

Limit turnovers/penalties.

Improve on 3rd down.

Don't give up 3rd and stupidly-massive plays.

Then the Saturday night beer should taste all the sweeter

For what it's worth, I think we beat the Texans and I actually don't think it's as close as the last game where the Bengals defense went into a shell and allowed the Texans to come back and finally win that one. I think the Bengals are more prepared than ANYONE is willing to give them credit for.

I'm sick of listening to analyst after analyst say sh*t like, "The Bengals aren't used to the spotlight" not thinking about the fact the Texans have no more experience than the Bengals in the playoffs. It is their first trip if people have forgotten. Then there's, "Hey Andy Dalton, this isn't a Bowl Game" like I heard on NFL Network last night. I don't remember who said that stupidass sh*t, but f*ck them in the ass with a broomstick twice. That sh*t is just disrepectful. I guess Yates is just FAAAAR more experienced huh ?? What about Delhomme ?? Just who you want at the helm right ?? WHAT THE F*CK EVER !!! I hope the Bengals lay the ass whooping they are capable of on the Texans just so everyone will shut the f*ck up !!!

In regards to Palmer and his comments, WHO CARES ?? I neither am mad or glad about anything involving him unless we are talking about who we are going to take with the draft picks he has netted the Bengals. I don't care if he's upset or happy for us. I don't care if he thinks we are going to win or lose. It would be nice to not have him brought up in anything regarding the Bengals anymore. He's the Raiders QB, just let him go play golf and leave him alone...

Bengals- 21

Texans- 10

Injury update from Houston:

Coach Gary Kubiak said today that quarterback T.J. Yates’ left shoulder was “sore” in practice but that he threw the ball well. Yates is expected to start Saturday’s wild-card playoff game against Cincinnati at Reliant Stadium.

Yates suffered a separated left shoulder on the Texans’ first play in Sunday’s 23-22 loss to Tennessee. He guided the offense on a 13-play, 90-yard touchdown drive, completing four-of-four for 47 yards before leaving the game.

“All indications are that he’ll be ready to go,” Kubiak said at his Monday news conference. “He threw the ball extremely well (against Titans). He was really sharp.”

Yates, cornerback Jason Allen (back spasms), offensive tackle Derek Newton (hip) and defensive end Bryan Braman (neck) are injured players Kubiak will watch closely in practice this week.

Kubiak also said he’s hoping right guard Mike Brisiel might be able to play. He’s been recovering from surgery that repaired a fractured fibula.

Kubiak also said that free safety Danieal Manning will return kickoffs and Jacoby Jones punts in the playoff game.

The bitching is about the fact that ML consistently flubs the clock management, game strategy and challenges. I honestly can't say I've seen worse coaching. It appears to me that these are his decisions. As such, I consider him a very bad HC. My irritation with him is apart from this year's playoff slot, which is to say that I am as thrilled an anyone they made it but can put zero credit behind Marvin for the appearance. To me, they made it despite him. Dalton, Green, some vet LB's on defense and a patchwork secondary. If they continue to get better, then I can push some of the credit to ML.

Color me a non-believer of the ML gospel.

So when they win it's despite him, but losses are because of him, eh? :lol:

If the Bengals can get some playmakers on the defense for next season, they will win these big games. Marvin just coached a team to 9-7 that had more gaping holes in it before this season started than any Bengals team since 2002.

If the lines improve and we get some difference makers, we'll beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore. I think we will.

Exactly. We really lack a playmaker on defense in the secondary or in the linebacker core. We have a solid D-Line, but we definitely need to add playmakers elsewhere. A ball-hawking safety would be great for starters. I can't stand seeing Crocker out there. Need to upgrade at that position.

• Like 1

The bitching is about the fact that ML consistently flubs the clock management, game strategy and challenges. I honestly can't say I've seen worse coaching. It appears to me that these are his decisions. As such, I consider him a very bad HC. My irritation with him is apart from this year's playoff slot, which is to say that I am as thrilled an anyone they made it but can put zero credit behind Marvin for the appearance. To me, they made it despite him. Dalton, Green, some vet LB's on defense and a patchwork secondary. If they continue to get better, then I can push some of the credit to ML.

Color me a non-believer of the ML gospel.

So when they win it's despite him, but losses are because of him, eh? :lol:

If the Bengals can get some playmakers on the defense for next season, they will win these big games. Marvin just coached a team to 9-7 that had more gaping holes in it before this season started than any Bengals team since 2002.

If the lines improve and we get some difference makers, we'll beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore. I think we will.

Exactly. We really lack a playmaker on defense in the secondary or in the linebacker core. We have a solid D-Line, but we definitely need to add playmakers elsewhere. A ball-hawking safety would be great for starters. I can't stand seeing Crocker out there. Need to upgrade at that position.

We could also use some offensive linemen, a CB, and maybe an RB.

I don't think it's unfair to question whether Lewis can get the team over the hump. Look at the last month or so. He declares the Houston game the biggest of his career here, and his team totally collapses in the end. Last Sunday he has a chance to seal a playoff spot and the team comes out looking totally unprepared. If they beat Houston Saturday, OK. But if not, the questions are only going to get louder.

I don't think it's unfair to question whether Lewis can get the team over the hump. Look at the last month or so. He declares the Houston game the biggest of his career here, and his team totally collapses in the end. Last Sunday he has a chance to seal a playoff spot and the team comes out looking totally unprepared. If they beat Houston Saturday, OK. But if not, the questions are only going to get louder.

The question to me is already loud! I dont hate Marvin at all, but at some point he has to get his team to play better in big games. It seems every big game they have, they are in it, but they always find a way to self distruct. Turnovers, penalties, guys cant get off blocks, not in the right gaps, its always something. So i have to wonder if his team plays to uptight, and plays scared?? Marvin comes out saying its the biggest game of the year, but maybe he is putting to much pressure on this team, instead of just letting them go out and play. I dont know, but its about time a Marvin Lewis team wins these big games, its been 9 years now, its time his team finishes strong.

It's unfair based upon this season if fans are going to own up to their preseason predictions. What he has done is nothing short of a miracle this season according to what was believed around here during the offseason...either that, or the fans here simply don't know what they are talking about and should probably do everyone a favor by stopping their pointless chatter.

On the other hand, if you want to judge him for the work with Cincinnati as whole, THEN the questions are fair. He's been consistently inconsistent. In my mind, next year will pretty much answer it. I've been able to make excuses for Lewis' losing seasons thus far: Palmer's injury, wasted draft picks (not necessarily his fault), the failed T.O./Ocho show experiment. At this point, however, Marvin has the team that he wants and the coaching staff that he wants. All we see is promise ahead of us. If he botches this one, then I'm ready to move on.

i have a bad feeling about this game, the bengals got some timely turnovers in the redzone the first time around - houston would have come away with points. The run defense and underneath routes are what scares me. Hopefully it doesnt take long to adjust defensively. Dalton will be nervous lets hope he can settle soon. My gut tells me the texans take this game, i hope im wrong.

I agree with your assessment Sky.

I think Marvin has build some continuity that was non-existent before he arrived. He has turned the roster a couple of times including the 2005 team. Drafting has improved especially on defense since Mike Zimmer has been here and the front office has gone a good job of bringing in first round talent from other teams. He has also gotten MB and the family to change some So he has created an improved organization.

However I am not sure if he can take them to the next level. The key is how well they utilize the extra draft picks from the Palmer trade. They must find a full time game changer on defense. Whether it is an DE, LB, S or a CB we need whatever it takes to beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore. We will not progress unless we figure out how to do that. Upgrading the O-line to combat those two defenses is also a key.

I like what he has done for this franchise and he should be commended on some level for doing the impossible. Consistency from year-to-year is the next challenge. Regression next year is not acceptable.

i have a bad feeling about this game, the bengals got some timely turnovers in the redzone the first time around - houston would have come away with points. The run defense and underneath routes are what scares me. Hopefully it doesnt take long to adjust defensively. Dalton will be nervous lets hope he can settle soon. My gut tells me the texans take this game, i hope im wrong.

Exactly. That and Owen Daniels.

THE key to the game is the Bengals getting consistent pass rush. If they don't it's game over. Did Dunlap play in the last game against the Texans?