Bengals at Houston pregame Wild Card weekend chatter

jjakq27

As mentioned elsewhere the Bengals will play at 4:30 on Saturday on NBC as the first game of the Wild Card weekend. If they win they will play at NE on Saturday (1/14).

/>http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/01/nfl-wild-card-weekend-matchups-all-set-2/

Does anyone know if Andre Johnson played today?

Johnson did play today

Lets see...stop the run.....stop the run.....stop the run.....put pressure on the QB......and stop the run

That didnt go to well today, so i hope somehow how they are able to stop the run and force in the QBs hands again, if Yates or Delhome beat you then fine, but dont let there running game win.

Bengals need to run the ball they did awsome in the first half of last game, then it went dead. So be physical run the ball and protect Dalton

As mentioned elsewhere the Bengals will play at 4:30 on Saturday on NBC as the first game of the Wild Card weekend. If they win they will play at NE on Saturday (1/14).

Does anyone know if Andre Johnson played today?

He was 2-21 early then they pulled him for the rest of the game, preseason-style.

Here's my proposition to all the Mike Brown Haters:

One of the fundamental arguments as to why Brown hates the playoffs is that they cost him money.

The Bengals lost money the last time the went to the Super Bowl, says Mike.

So the deeper they go into the playoffs, the more away games, the more hotel rooms, etc., the more money they cost Mike Brown.

So if you want to screw Mike Brown, there's only one thing to do:

Root for the Bengals.

Yea the last time they played Houston Zim decided to play prevent defense in the second half, Yates was checking it down and they were picking up chunk yards all the way to the endzone. This defense right now is ok, but they have to play alot better that for sure, and Zim better have his guys ready to play. They know what they have to do, so just do it, and if they cant then they dont deserve to win the game.

As far as firing Marvin, im about sick of his teams not winning the big games, or always making the stupid mistakes when they cant afford to, or not being able to overcome them. My question is will he ever be able to win those games??? Hes here next year, so ill see what he brings then, see if they can improve and beat the good teams, or will this team fall flat like all the other years after making the playoffs. If this teams dosnt get better, then yea i think its time to move on from Marvin, but for now Marvin get your team to win these big games!!

I'd like to see Marvin move into the front office as GM. He seems to be very good at evaluating talent, but he is TERRIBLE at game management and having his team ready to play in big games.

As for the game this Saturday in Houston, I think we'll beat the Texans this time if we can keep from giving up big running plays.

• Like 1

This is my first post here but I have to say its refreshing to see your takes on Marvin. Marvins teams always seem to play down to the level of competition, don't show up in big games and are ridiculously undisciplined. For all that he has done for this team, and it has been great, I really think his future looks better as a GM. I think he has reached his ceiling as a hc.

I like the spirit, Hoosier. But the premise might fall apart if you count the rather substantial increase in ticket sales or price support for the following year, of course. Sort of like how our problem with attendance will evaporate next year after making the playoffs.

If nothing else, Mike Brown is the king of invented poverty.

I say cheer for the Bengals because, when it comes to postseason losing, my people have wandered in the wilderness half as long as the Israelites, and that's quite long enough.

If the Bengals can get some playmakers on the defense for next season, they will win these big games. Marvin just coached a team to 9-7 that had more gaping holes in it before this season started than any Bengals team since 2002.

If the lines improve and we get some difference makers, we'll beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore. I think we will.

I'd like to see Marvin move into the front office as GM. He seems to be very good at evaluating talent, but he is TERRIBLE at game management and having his team ready to play in big games.

I don't buy this. Marvin has been a very good coach, making 3 playoff appearances in 7 years.

Just two years ago the Bengals swept the division, so he can get them up for big games.

Game management? Well, I'll admit that clock management was a problem in the past., as well as poor use of coach's challenges... but that has all but disappeared this season.

I thought he needed to be replaced after last year. It looked to me like he lost the team. As it turns out, I think he only lost Carson Palmer. Marvin got this incredibly young and inexperienced lockerroom to believe they could go to the playoffs, when no one, and I mean NO ONE else believed in them.

That's head coach material.

I do buy it. During that 7 years, in the last 4 in fat he has lost his team twice with 8 and ten game losing streaks. I think where we are now is his ceiling. He will never take us higher. I think we win in spite of him not because of him. I am tired of his stoic lack of energy on the sidelines and the lack of creativity from the offense and defense. I think his teams are undisciplined and play heavily down to their competition.

I don't buy this. Marvin has been a very good coach, making 3 playoff appearances in 7 years.

Just two years ago the Bengals swept the division, so he can get them up for big games.

Game management? Well, I'll admit that clock management was a problem in the past., as well as poor use of coach's challenges... but that has all but disappeared this season.

I thought he needed to be replaced after last year. It looked to me like he lost the team. As it turns out, I think he only lost Carson Palmer. Marvin got this incredibly young and inexperienced lockerroom to believe they could go to the playoffs, when no one, and I mean NO ONE else believed in them.

That's head coach material.

I do buy it. During that 7 years, in the last 4 in fat he has lost his team twice with 8 and ten game losing streaks. I think where we are now is his ceiling. He will never take us higher. I think we win in spite of him not because of him. I am tired of his stoic lack of energy on the sidelines and the lack of creativity from the offense and defense. I think his teams are undisciplined and play heavily down to their competition.

Two thoughts, I guess:

1) What do we really know about how well Marvin evaluates talent? We continually speculate about who's calling the shots on draft picks, personnel moves, etc. Are we sure that Marvin is responsible for the talent that we currently have?

2) If Marvin IS responsible, then what problem are we trying to fix by mixing things up? It seems to me that we've had a a fabulous season. We've gone to the playoffs twice in three years, and everyone is optimistic about the team. Why change now?

As for playing down to our competition, we beat every sub .500 team we played. I'm good with that. The lack of big wins this season hurts, but considering we thought the Bengals a sub .500 team before the season started, I'm thrilled with what I've seen. How could you not be?

There is no evidence that this is the top of Marvin's potential.

This is the first season Marvin has been here without Palmer and Chad. In the past he had to spend so much time and energy dealing with divas... and they're finally gone. He's finally got a roster of his guys... and you can see it in his face. He LIKES this team.

The problem? They are young and inexperienced. But he's got most of them playing well over their heads. If two years from now they are still hovering around the 8-8/10-6 range without a playoff victory, I'll buy that he's reached his ceiling... but right now, I just don't see what all the bitching is about.

What makes me believe that he is at the top of his potential is that ha has not every had success in back to back years and the things that you attribute to youth he has had with every single team he has coached. Lack of enthusiasm, lack of discipline etc. etc. I am not calling for Marv to get the ax this year. I do think however that he is just a mediocre coach and will never get us in the upper echelon of the AFC. Being where we are now is a huge improvement though.

I honestly don't know how any Bengals fan cannot be excited about the future of this team. The Bengals don't lose big games because of Lewis. They've lost big games because they are young and don't have quite enough playmakers...yet.

A) I am very excited about this team.

B) I think that this team had the same problems last year and every year of Marvins era in Cincy. Fumbles, penalties, bonehead plays at bad times, lack of creativity on off and defense etc.

I like the spirit, Hoosier. But the premise might fall apart if you count the rather substantial increase in ticket sales or price support for the following year, of course. Sort of like how our problem with attendance will evaporate next year after making the playoffs.

Nah. Thing about ticket sales in the playoffs is that the gate is still among all the teams. The league actually subsidizes teams in the playoffs but it's not usually anywhere near enough to offset costs. Check it.

NFL teams split ticket revenue during the regular season, with the home team keeping one-third of the gate. That’s not the case in the playoffs, when all of the ticket revenue goes into a pool shared equally by teams. That leaves the home team with only the earnings created by stadium sales — concessions and merchandise.

The league rewards teams that win in the wild-card round with $590,000 if they lose and $650,000 if they win. In the divisional round, each team gets $650,000 to cover expenses; that jumps to $1.01  million for the conference championship game. The Super Bowl winner gets $4.108 million and the losing team $2.878  million.

Teams often will lose as much as the NFL gives them for expenses just on playoff bonus money written into staff and player contracts. Many players have big bonuses for playoff advancement. Teams also face added costs in road games: moving equipment and paying for the travel of sponsors and family members.

So, if you hate Mike, now is the time to root for the Bengals, because every W costs him money!

The bitching is about the fact that ML consistently flubs the clock management, game strategy and challenges. I honestly can't say I've seen worse coaching. It appears to me that these are his decisions. As such, I consider him a very bad HC. My irritation with him is apart from this year's playoff slot, which is to say that I am as thrilled an anyone they made it but can put zero credit behind Marvin for the appearance. To me, they made it despite him. Dalton, Green, some vet LB's on defense and a patchwork secondary. If they continue to get better, then I can push some of the credit to ML.

Color me a non-believer of the ML gospel.