Ravens @ Bengals pregame chatter

Stripes

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bengals have the deepest D-Line in the NFL

Cincinnati currently ranks 3rd in the NFL in sacks with 44. 76% (33.5 sacks) have come from the D-Line. Usually when you see stats like that, it's because of a guy like Jared Allen or Jason Babin who have racked up 18+ sacks. The Bengals? Geno Atkins leads the team with 8.

Here's the breakdown:

Atkins: 8 (25th in the NFL)

Fanene: 6 (44th in the NFL)

Johnson:5 (61st in the NFL)

Rucker: 4 (81st in the NFL)

Dunlap: 4 (81st in the NFL)

Geathers: 3 (113th in the NFL)

Peko: 2.5 (138th in the NFL)

Sims: 1 (223rd in the NFL)

There isn't just one-unstoppable guy. The Bengals D-Line is deep as hell, and who knows how this D-Line might have performed if Dunlap hadn't missed 5 games.

The Bengals have averaged 4 sacks/game over the last four games... and Dunlap is finally healthy. It's a good sign that the D-Line appears to be playing its best football as the playoffs approach.

With Rucker, Fanene, and Sims becoming free agents after this season, i'm curious how they are going to address that ??

Johnson and Geathers will be free agents after the 2012 season as well.

I'm betting Rucker and Sims are both brought back. Rucker is having his best season, but hasn't done enough to earn a big payday elsewhere. Sims is good to have, because he and Peko are the primary big-fatties who clog the running lanes.

Wouldn't be surprised if they draft Fanene's replacement. They didn't bring him back this year until after they traded McDonald.

MJ will likely be given a new contract at some point next year... but I could see them letting Geathers walk. He's solid, but he hasn't come anywhere close to earning the big contract he got.

With Rucker, Fanene, and Sims becoming free agents after this season, i'm curious how they are going to address that ??

Johnson and Geathers will be free agents after the 2012 season as well.

Both Rucker and Fanene are year-round residents of the Cincinnati area. I get the feeling both of them appreciate the patience shown by the Bengals in both allowing them to develop, and sticking by them during injuries. I feel both guys will look to re-sign with the Bengals, especially now that both are experiencing personal and team success.

Pat Sims I don't know much about. I love the way he plays. The biggest indicator I saw that this team could be comptitive was Pat Sims' play against Jeff Saturday in the last pre-season game against the Colts. Sims repeatedly beat him, and several times it was just power vs power, and Sims was able to stand Saturday up and shove him into the backfield.

Love to see all 3 of these guys sign again with the Bengals.

Fanene was holding out for more money earlier this year, so I'm sure he'll at least test the FA waters. He may get some nibbles but I don't see anyone breaking the bank for him. Ditto for Frostee considering his injury-filled career. I could see a team ponying up mid-range coin for Sims, which may be more than the Bengals are willing to pay.

Back on point, per Hobson, Dunlap not practicing today after being limited yesterday. :(

He looked rusty against the Rams... but a lot better against Arizona. He played 52 out of 67 snaps (more than all but MJ and Atkins)... and he wasn't even on the injury report leading up to the Cardinals.

He even looked good on that failed 4th down conversion late in the 4th quarter... so I'm wondering if he aggravated it during the game, when?

Per Hobson... Fanene apparently thinks Dunlap is healthy.

Fanene said one of the keys for the line play Saturday was the presence of Carlos Dunlap, the left end who is the team’s best pass rusher. Dunlap sat out Thursday’s practice with the hamstring issue that has dogged him since he capped off the Nov. 6 Tennessee win with sack. But indications are he’s resting it for Sunday after he looked better than he had in a while with a sack and three pressures last Saturday.

““I had a good week of preparation and coach (Mike) Zimmer did a great job of breaking down (the offense) and getting guys to make plays,” Fanene said. “The defensive line, everyone is healthy, Carlos is healthy.”

They were saying that he sat to rest it today, but who knows.

All i know is im sure he is hurting, but damn im sick of him missing big games for this team. So hope thats all it is, is him resting for this game. I heard he was on 1530 today, and said he is playing this week, but we all know when he first got hurt, he said he was going to play. So please be able to play Dunlap

They were saying that he sat to rest it today, but who knows.

All i know is im sure he is hurting, but damn im sick of him missing big games for this team. So hope thats all it is, is him resting for this game. I heard he was on 1530 today, and said he is playing this week, but we all know when he first got hurt, he said he was going to play. So please be able to play Dunlap

He's got to be active this Sunday. We need him, and if rest is what it takes, so be it.

You'd have to think that the approach towards injuries is different in the middle of the season as opposed to what could be the last game of the year. He took the day off to rest, you'd think he'll be back for the walk throughs on Friday and then be ready for the game on Sunday.

My guess? He's playing.

What's a Raven's-Bengals game without a little of Ray Lewis' perspective....:ravesux:

"Really, man, we don't care. It doesn't matter," said Lewis. "They can come watch if they want to come watch. We've got to do one thing. We've got to go in and get a victory and come up out of there. So, if there is one person in the seats or whether it's 60,000 in the stands, we don't care about it. That's their problem. We've got our own problems.

"We don't have to worry about selling out. We have to worry about trying to keep people out and things like that. We have a different vibe in Baltimore, and that's a credit to our city, that's a credit to our fans. So, that's something they have to worry with, not us."

http://cincinnati.co...he-pbs-sellout/

I've never been more excited for a game that's been so big, yet there's really no consequences here. Nobody expected the Bengals to be here. They can still get in if they lose. All the pressure is on the Ravens.

This game seems more like a celebration of this past season. Huge crowd, last home game, a chance to give back to the team in a way. Win? great. Lose? It's been a great season and at the end of the day, they might make it in anyway.

I'm very curious to see how this team reacts to this sellout crowd.

Yanda is also doubtful... which in my estimation is a much bigger deal than Boldin. Yanda is an excellent pass blocker, and his replacement (Gurode) stinks in pass protection.

Geno Atkins usually matches up over the RG... so this will be a mismatch. I could see the D-Line getting after Flacco all day in this one.

Yup, Dunlap is expected to play Sunday.

Reedy says Dunlap is questionable (50/50), as compared to being probable two weeks ago. I hope the dude plays better than he did against the Rams. They need him.

Boldin has been upgraded... to doubtful.

I'm sure you know this but Dunlap has to be categorized as questionable because he missed a certain percentage of practice. At least that's the way I understand it. What's more telling is if he was fully active in today's practice.