GAME THREAD

Scottishbengal

Someone has to lead them and teach them how to secure a win.

I don't buy this. The Bengals have come from behind to win games 5 times this year.

They are young, and it will take time for them to be more consistent... but they already know how to win games. They just need to continue building on the success, and adding more talent and depth.

how many of those come behinds had the other team driving with the chance to win? Yes we came out on top on a few of those, but in how many times this year has the offense gotten a first down to run out the clock?

The Bengals were fortunate to pull some of those games out. When Bengals offense has been given the ball to run the clock out. They subsequently punt relying on the defense to do the job.

Your complaints have plenty of merit... but the fact is that coming into this season, plenty of people said the Bengals would max out at 4 wins, and had a legitimate shot at going 0-16.

The offense started the season with a rookie QB and virtually zero proven weapons... and no offseason. Of course they have their flaws.

The last five weeks have been incredibly disappointing... but we should not forget that this team has loads of talent and a lot of draft picks to work with. The flaws the Bengals have can easily be addressed this offseason.

And while I don't think this team deserves to make the playoffs this year, the fact remains that it is still on the table. They need help... but they can still get in. And who among us predicted we'd be talking playoffs in December?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fact is as long as marvin is the coach this team will never be a real contender. the man simply does not have what it takes to win in the nfl. why i have no clue he just can't do it. marvin has rebuilt this team 3 times with the same results. his teams falls apart by the end of the season. just disappointing!

Personally I think the Bengals exceeded all expectations this year.

they have, i just don't think it gets better than this with marvin. so far he has shown he can't finish a season or win a big game. i hope he can i hope we win out. really i just don't think marvin can do it.

The offense started the season with a rookie QB and virtually zero proven weapons... and no offseason. Of course they have their flaws.

Of course, but it wasn't the rookie QB and the unproven weapons that were the problem today. Once again, vets and coaches of many years came up small.

In bad years, we get the Dead Cat Bounce. And in good years, the Live Cat Splat.

I think I'm done with Marvin. And Zimmer isn't far behind.

Once again, vets and coaches of many years came up small.

Which vets are you referring to? This team doesn't have many of them... and one of them hurt his ankle and is probably done for the season.

As for the coaching... I'm not sure I put this on the coaching. Zimmer demanded turnovers, and his players responded.

The last two Houston drives only highlighted what we already knew about this defense... the secondary needs more talent and depth. They just aren't good enough when they don't have Dunlap on the field to close the game like he did earlier in the season.

Once again, vets and coaches of many years came up small.

Which vets are you referring to? This team doesn't have many of them... and one of them hurt his ankle and is probably done for the season.

And before that he had a key penalty on first and goal from the 1.

McGlynn isn't a rookie either.

We have zero rookies on defense, and none of them could fall on a fumble that they originally had in the first place.

As for the coaching... I'm not sure I put this on the coaching. Zimmer demanded turnovers, and his players responded.

No, Zimmer demanded interceptions. He got one, a gift thrown to Nelson I could have caught.

The last two Houston drives only highlighted what we already knew about this defense... the secondary needs more talent and depth. They just aren't good enough when they don't have Dunlap on the field to close the game like he did earlier in the season.

Same old same old. Don't give me injury excuses against a team like Houston, who came in with their No. 3 QB and down their best DE and WR.

Same old same old. Don't give me injury excuses against a team like Houston, who came in with their No. 3 QB and down their best DE and WR.

I'm not giving you excuses. I'm telling you that the secondary isn't good... and it's even worse when they don't have the luxury of one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL.

The Bengals need an influx of talent in the secondary and on the O-Line. Thankfully... their extra draft picks ought to do the trick.

Of course, but it wasn't the rookie QB and the unproven weapons that were the problem today. Once again, vets and coaches of many years came up small.

In bad years, we get the Dead Cat Bounce. And in good years, the Live Cat Splat.

I think I'm done with Marvin. And Zimmer isn't far behind.

Im with you on Zimmer! I like him, but im tired of year after year his defense starting out strong, but falling flat in the end. When this team needs the defense the most they are not there. They cant stay on there feel, they cant tackle, they cant press recievers, and they sure as hell cant cover a TE!

All second half Zimmer was playing with a prevent defense, CBs not pressing leaving the middle wide open. He made it so easy for Yates to find open receievers, and when they were open, they were really open. Lap said the same thing, why in the heck is Zim playing prevent defense, they had the lead, but they stoped playing aggresive like in the first half!

Turnovers or not, this defense is just not very good, because they are not very disapline. Just like in 09 they fall flat again, and when they are called upon to stop a rookie QB from beating them they cant!

Oh and i am done with Marvin, he is an 8-8 team at best and still has not figured out how to win big games. I would rather give a shot to someone else, but we all know its not going to happen. I was done with Marvin years ago, but after getting resigned i just figured there is no hope of him going. I thought he did a great job again in the begining and middle part of the season, but when it counts the most he just cant get it done. The team is not very disaplined at all.

ridonkulous. way to blow it mcglynn.

THIS was the moment. It fell apart right THERE.

I'd been trying to pinpoint exactly when it went off the rails. And, there it is.

I hold Paul Alexander accountable. McGlynn not being coached up enough... FAIL. And, by extension, SoP. Sorry, all the moves for Palmer, drafting Dalton and Green, that's all great and such but the key to winning the game today was playing for the Texans: J Joe.

This team with Marvin and Paul A., they still ch-ch-ch-choke!

Nothing will change with the coaching staff. They will take a new OT and a LB and call it a draft, expect the same thing and FAIL again.

I'm burned up about today's game.

I've got some good news. The only thing that the Bengals can, and will do, to improve this team is improve the depth. The draft has them set up to be successful. Will they be active in free agency. Marvin is staying. Zimmer is staying. Hopefully, Gruden is staying as well.

With some depth, this team will be able to adjust to the injuries that happen at this time of the year every season to every team. The Texans are the better team. Let's not kid ourselves. They have the better lines and the better depth. It's still a game the Bengals SHOULD have won (If Andre Johnson and Schaub are in that game, it's a 2 TD loss). If they play the offseason as well as the past one, they will win these games next year.

Here is your coaching failure script:

1. Benson's long run. 1st and goal from the 1, False Start. First and goal from the 6. result: FG.

2. 4th and less than 1 from mid-field. False Start. Punt. Hand ball back to Houston.

That's how coaching loses the game. 2 plays. 2 coaching failures. Lose the game.

I don't care that ML will be back. His teams are undisciplined, meaning, HE is undisciplined. His "teaching" technique is a FAIL.

Hey Marvin, fix it or get of the pot. You've been squatting on this team for almost a decade and no one want you to ruin Dalton, Green and the other young and unspoiled players on this team. Get ML out before he ruins these guys with his fat, shabby and arrogant approach to coaching. He's a slob.

If you can't tell, I'm angry with the poor coaching this guy has imposed on this team. Enough is enough. I'm not "happy" that this team is not the dumpster fire everyone predicted. They "could" be a playoff team right now, were it not for the unkempt approach ML and his bungling staff use for their preparations.

Quick point. Leading at the half 16-3. Benson has 94 yards.... He ends the game with 91 yards. That is a fail. FFS.

Here's another. TJ Yates first game starting. On the road. Throws for over 300 yards. Looks like Montana at the end. J Joe celebrates the comeback as they prepare to host a playoff game. FAIL.

Vomit.

Tell me what were our guys coached to do on 4th down play at mid field where we were trying to get them to jump off sides? Marvin later said that they were not going to snap the ball and run a play. We were merely trying to draw a penalty. So my question is why weren't we coached to jump when the defender jumped? More specifically why didn't Whitworth jump when the guy opposite him moved? That likely would have given us the 5 yds and the ballgame. Short of that, the only way were were going to get the penalty was if they jumped so bad as to make contact--not likely. That's a specific case where the coaching was inadequate

marvins a good coach you guys just need to cool off, it wouldn't surprise me if the jets lose the next 2 games putting us back in the drivers seat (at Philly, and Giants) if we can log wins vs Rams/Cardinals. It ain't over yet.

I'm sorry but I disagree with your contention that ML is a good coach. Time after time, blowing 2 minute drills, ill-planned time-outs, crappy challenges, it's just too much there to convince me that he is "good".

I will cool off when this team wins a meaningful game under ML's watch.

Look, these rookies and young guys need good coaching, and they're note getting it. Nope.

marvins a good coach you guys just need to cool off, it wouldn't surprise me if the jets lose the next 2 games putting us back in the drivers seat (at Philly, and Giants) if we can log wins vs Rams/Cardinals. It ain't over yet.

This hurts to say but we really need for the Ravens to win the next 2. Then the Texans to lose, the Steelers to lose, and the Patriots to lose. We want the Ravens to have the number one seed locked up come December 31st. Oh, and we need to win the last 3 games.

Tell me what were our guys coached to do on 4th down play at mid field where we were trying to get them to jump off sides? Marvin later said that they were not going to snap the ball and run a play. We were merely trying to draw a penalty. So my question is why weren't we coached to jump when the defender jumped? More specifically why didn't Whitworth jump when the guy opposite him moved? That likely would have given us the 5 yds and the ballgame. Short of that, the only way were were going to get the penalty was if they jumped so bad as to make contact--not likely. That's a specific case where the coaching was inadequate

Bingo.

Or look back in time when the Bengals had the Saints stopped and Pat Sims jumped. Coaching FAIL. Game Over.

It's just crap. And more frustrating due to the fact that this team HAS something going. They COULD be damn good. Get out of the doorway, Marvin, and let these guys move on to the next level.

The one constant has been ML. The same dumb issues. The same dumb garbage. The same ML.

Yeah, my point isn't that the RG jumped, it's why didn't Whit jump? The RG only cost us 5 yds and wasn't really a big deal because since Whit didn't move, we were going to be punting anyway. It was a brainfreeze on Whit's part . He forgot or wasn't coached to know that the rules have changed and O-line guys can draw penalties by moving after they see a D-lineman move. I hope someone asks Whit about that

I can give you ML's answer, whether Whit ever has a reply or not. Ready?

Reporter: Marvin, you said the team was not going to snap the ball but was trying to draw the offsides. When the Texan player jumped, why didn't the the Bengals player flinch, thus drawing the offsides?

ML: I think they did some good things. Obviously there are some things that need some work. We will look at it this week and see what we can see and see what we can fix. For that play, we can sit here all night wondering "Why?" this, or "Why not?" that.. We've got to play better. We've got to execute, and not do those things we know we should not do. Play with better fits. Leverage blah blah. Pad level blah blah. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Mike McGlynn single-handedly cost the Bengals a win. He’s a Loser.

There were a lot of goats yesterday but how did Mike Glynn get the #1 goat award? I don't even think he makes the top ten. Had he not jumped the Bengals would have been punting from either that spot or 5 yds back if they'd taken the delay of game penalty. Either way, they'd be punting

They are young, and it will take time for them to be more consistent... but they already know how to win games. They just need to continue building on the success, and adding more talent and depth.

This

They are a good team on the threshhold of being a very good team next year, and likely will be assuming no more major injuries and a decent (or better) offseason

Not forgetting the fact, that before we even got to the above scenerio, Lewis fails to throw the challenge flag when TV showed that Scott had been carried beyond the First Down marker by the OL piling in.

Another abysmal coaching fail.