Texans @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

I'll just say that I think Shipley is a superior receiver to Caldwell and I'll be glad to get him back next yr

Frankly, you keep repeating a point that probably wasn't worth making even once. Shipley can't play at all so comparing him to Caldwell remains as pointless now as it was when you first mentioned it months ago. And I'm guessing everyone will welcome Shipley back next season so that opinion seems as pointless as the rest.

I'll just say that I think Shipley is a superior receiver to Caldwell and I'll be glad to get him back next yr

Frankly, you keep repeating a point that probably wasn't worth making even once. Shipley can't play at all so comparing him to Caldwell remains as pointless now as it was when you first mentioned it months ago. And I'm guessing everyone will welcome Shipley back next season so that opinion seems as pointless as the rest.

I admit it's not a big point. You are on record as saying we didn't need Shipley because he was no better than Caldwell and I disagree with that. I think he'd be a favorite 3rd down target of Dalton's if given the chance to work with him for an extended amount of time. As Bengals fans, we ought to both hope I'm right because Caldwell isn't much of a factor

We were humiliated last week. A team worth anything would roll the Texans this week. At home.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss our home field disadvantage.

This is so true!

So sounds like Zimmer is pissed about the no int this year. He says hes going to start benching guys if they dont get some, hes tired of balls being caught. LOL well has anyone seen how far off the corners play, they dont even challenge the recievers! My question is if he is going to bench guys who is going to replace them with, there is nobody.

You are on record as saying we didn't need Shipley because he was no better than Caldwell and I disagree with that.

That's not accurate, as usual. What I believe I said is the loss of Shipley shouldn't be too much to overcome because Caldwell had years of experience playing the slot. But as I recall I also noted how Caldwell was better suited for one of the outside positions due to him being slower getting in and out of his breaks.

As for what Shipley might be capable of doing now, if he weren't injured, I don't give it much thought. Because he is injured. Furthermore, I don't feel compelled to snipe away at Caldwell, as so many others do, for the very same reason. Rather, I assume Caldwell is doing the best he can under the circumstances.

I think he'd be a favorite 3rd down target of Dalton's if given the chance to work with him for an extended amount of time.

You can think whatever you want. The fact remains that Dalton hasn't had an extended period to work with any of his recievers, and even the veterans are new to Gruden's scheme. So even if Shipley were available it's likely we'd still be talking about miscommunication and inexperience related issues.

As Bengals fans, we ought to both hope I'm right because Caldwell isn't much of a factor.

And Shipley isn't a factor at all, a fact you conveniently and predictably forget whenever the Bengals passing offense struggles.

Point blank, Dalton has enough weapons right now to call into question any performance where the teams #2 and #3 receivers are totally ignored, and the TE does little. So point your fingers at the coaches who put the gameplan together, or the QB who attempted to execute that plan, or even the receivers who were ignored, but STFU about Jordan Shipley.

The Texans have been a running team for almost two years now. I wouldnt read to much into those numbers. And teams have been stacking the box on us all year without good results.

This should be an interesting game.

Why would teams stack the box with Schaub and Andre Johnson playing?

The keys for the Bengals will be if they can get Sims and Dunlap back on defense. Getting Clements back would help to. If the defense gets healthier, you'll see a different game.

I have to think the Bengals want this game more. They NEED this one. The Texans, not so much, even though they are the better team.

Johnson hasn't been playing. And like I said,teams have been stacking the box against us all season. To no avail...

The Falcons are #2 at stopping the run and look what it got them.

Atlanta may not have shut down the running game... but they certainly slowed it down dramatically.

This is the first game Yates will be without Andre Johnson. And Johnson accounted for more than 50% of the Texans passing yards against Atlanta (97 out of 188 yards), and was targeted 9 of Yates' 25 attempts. Johnson got hurt at the end of the 3rd quarter, and Yates only threw the ball only 3 more times in the 4th quarter for 12 yards... and one of those attempts was a pick-6 that was nullified because of penalty.

In other words... stop trying to downplay the Johnson injury. It's a huge loss for a guy like Yates, and Johnson was the guy that made the Falcons pay for stacking the box. The Texans won't be able to win if they can't throw the ball against the Bengals, so they better figure out how to do that.

The Texans have played 7 of the top 10 defenses so far. Come Sunday it will be 8 of the top 10. At this point we have lost one of those games. A lot of those games where without Johnson so I'm not trying to downplay anything.

You are on record as saying we didn't need Shipley because he was no better than Caldwell and I disagree with that.

That's not accurate, as usual. What I believe I said is the loss of Shipley shouldn't be too much to overcome because Caldwell had years of experience playing the slot. But as I recall I also noted how Caldwell was better suited for one of the outside positions due to him being slower getting in and out of his breaks.

As usual you're terribly defensive where it's not warranted.

My recollection is that at the time Shipley was drafted you were of the opinion that he was not an upgrade over what we already had. If that's not accurate please set the record straight but leave your insecure defensive rants in the closet because I won't respond to them

• Like 1

Good news: Clements, Benson, Flesh Zep all practicing

Bad news: Dunlap still not on the field. Is working on the side.

I don't like seeing this from Reedy's Twitter acct:

Marv said when it comes to Dunlap "When you can tell me what's wrong and when he's ready let me know."

/>http://twitter.com/joereedy

Makes it sound like Dunlap's got more than a hamstring injury. Maybe a problem between the ears

As usual you're terribly defensive where it's not warranted.

Perhaps I've grown tired of posters selectively and inaccurately remembering things that were said months or years ago?

My recollection is that at the time Shipley was drafted you were of the opinion that he was not an upgrade over what we already had. If that's not accurate please set the record straight but....

Not accurate, as usual. My complaint was never really with Shipley himself. My complaint was based upon the constant churning of the WR skill positions while other positions were ignored, coupled with the Bengals prolonged refusal to develop or even play the receivers already on the roster. As for the issue of whether Shipley represents a true upgrade worth the cost paid in draft assets, I'm reminded how Caldwell caught 53 balls in his last season working the slot, but was mocked for rarely scoring. Well who scores less often than Shipley? Furthermore, your always pointless and silly "Miss Shipley yet?" rant completely ignores the way the undrafted Hawkins has emerged as a very capable slot weapon, as predicted by myself and others in the old Quan Cosby is dead threads. So to answer your orginal question, no, I'm not missing Jordan Shipley yet. But what I am missing desperately is a balanced passing attack.

....but leave your insecure defensive rants in the closet because I won't respond to them

Blah, blah, blah.

Makes it sound like Dunlap's got more than a hamstring injury. Maybe a problem between the ears

And you say that based soley upon your willingness to jump to unfounded conclusions, right?

You simply can't gut your way through a hamstring injury when you play a position that requires explosive burst and power on every snap. Granted, you can try to play though the injury, as Dunlap attempted to do weeks ago, but it's unlikely the player will be effective. Worse, the risk of reinjury is high.

Point blank, the loss of Dunlap has only served to underscore his value and importance, but knowing that won't speed his recovery. It's up to the next man to step up, and Marvin has made it clear he expects that player to be Michael Johnson. But there's the rub because MJ isn't half the player that Dunlap is, regardless of what's between each players ears.

Marv said when it comes to Dunlap "When you can tell me what's wrong and when he's ready let me know."

http://twitter.com/joereedy

Interesting. It could be that there's something more than a hamstring issue here, but I think it's more likely that Marvin's just giving the media his version of the middle finger.

And you say that based soley upon your willingness to jump to unfounded conclusions, right?

You simply can't gut your way through a hamstring injury when you play a position that requires explosive burst and power on every snap. Granted, you can try to play though the injury, as Dunlap attempted to do weeks ago, but it's unlikely the player will be effective. Worse, the risk of reinjury is high.

Point blank, the loss of Dunlap has only served to underscore his value and importance, but knowing that won't speed his recovery. It's up to the next man to step up, and Marvin has made it clear he expects that player to be Michael Johnson. But there's the rub because MJ isn't half the player that Dunlap is, regardless of what's between each players ears.

The issue isn't his injury. The issue is Marvin's attitude towards his injury. It sounds to me like Marvin doubts the severity of it and if the player and coach are at that sort of disconnect, that's a problem

The issue isn't his injury. The issue is Marvin's attitude towards his injury. It sounds to me like Marvin doubts the severity of it and if the player and coach are at that sort of disconnect, that's a problem

That's an impressive number of conclusions you've reached based upon a single sentence. Frankly, I think you're dead wrong about the issue not being injury related, and dead wrong to assume Marvin is dissastisfied with Dunlap's attitude or work ethic. In fact, if there's any disconnect on display here it's either between Lewis and the media, as others have suggested, or between Lewis and the teams medical staff.

Here's the quote again.

"When you can tell me what's wrong and when he's ready let me know." -- Marvin Lewis

Final injury report for the week, from Reedy:

OUT: LB Moch (illness)

DOUBTFUL: DE Dunlap (hamstring)

QUESTIONABLE: CB Clements (hamstring), RB Leonard (knee), OT Smith (ankle)

PROBABLE: RB Benson (foot), C Cook (shoulder), S Crocker (knee), TE Lee (foot), LB B.Johnson (knee)