Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh GAME THREAD

Scottishbengal

A vitally important game for both sides in this, the end of a 4 game divisional streak of matches for the Bengals.

A win for Pitts will keep them in joint pole position atop the AFCN (assuming Baltimore succeed in Cleveland) and will open up a two game lead, and a 2-0 record, over Cincy - whilst mathematically possible it'd be extremely unlikely for Cincy to take the division from that position with just 4 games remaining.

A Bengals win and their looking at 2nd place in the division and guaranteed not to have a losing season. They'd be sat on the shoulders of Baltimore waiting for a sporadic Ravens team to falter and thus take a shot at claiming another divisonal title ...... stuff of dreams considering the youthfullness of this team, the roster changes from last year, a new OC with a rookie QB and WR, and a short pre-season due to the lockout.

So then, lets look at how the teams are matching up:-

Pittsburgh are 4-1 at home whilst the Bengals have an away record of 4-2, both teams coming off of wins last weekend.

Steelers are averaging 375 yds per game (256 passing, 110 rushing) against the Bengals who are giving up 308 ypg (215 passing and 93 rushing)

Bengals are averaging 335 yds per game (226 passing, 109 rushing) against the Steelers who are giving up 277 ypg (181 passing and 96 rushing)

Steelers are outscoring their opponents 21-17 on average, whilst the Bengals outscore their opponents 23-19

Big Ben is 17 TDs against 10 INTs with a rating of 92%

Dalton is 16 TDs against 12 INTs with a rating of 82%

Third Down conversions - this could very well be the difference between the teams today.

A few weeks ago Ben Uselessbugger was able to convert some 3rd and long situations and against the Bengals, - with a weakened Bengals secondary he'll be looking to do the same today as the Bengals seem to give up huge plays from this scenario.

Pittsburgh convert 49% of their attempts as Cincy allow 36% to be made

Cincy convert 37% of their attempts as Pitts allow their opponents a 42% success rate.

All the above stats would lead to the Steelers having the edge over the Bengals.

The areas where the Bengals appear stronger and have a legitimate chance of outperforming Pittsburgh are:-

Sacks:

Pittsburghs QB has been on the ground on 32 occassions whilst the Bengals D have had the opposition QB eating turf on 28 times.

Cincy QB has been on his arse 17 times whilst Pittsburghs D has had a sack total of 24.

FG's:

Pittsburgh are 18 of 23 whilst Cincy are 21 of 22

Turnovers:

Pittsburgh are a staggering MINUS 8 on turnovers whilst Cincy have a +1 ratio.

I have no idea what impact the intangibles are likely to have such as weather, wind, home field advantage - you Stateside folks will have much more knowledge of such things than I. I know the game is live here in the UK and that doesn't usually bode very well for the Bengals .... just one of thos supersticious things I guess!

Injuries:

Carter and Battle are out for Pittsburgh. Linebacker Foote had a light practice on Friday with all other injury candidates going with full practice.

The Bengals still have Moch listed as out. Clements, Dunlap and Sims did not parctice Friday. Crocker and Lee participated in light practice, with Benson, Ghee, Peko and Simpson all going full practice.

The Bengals played the Steelers pretty close a few weeks ago and if it wasn't for Pitts hitting a 14-0 early lead who knows what the outcome would be. Take away that first quarter lead and replace PBS with Baked Bean Field and it's still looking pretty a even contest.

Steelers 21 - 24 Bengals

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a win by the Bengals and the Browns today, I would be a very happy man tonight! :)

Lets hope alot of right things happen for the bengals today, and the ball bounces there way!

Dont know the status of the injured players yet, but i hope that Clemants is playing, they will need him bad.

Lets hope for a fast start, and they dont let the foot off the pedal today, and finish strong.

Stop them on 3rd downs, dont let them convert 3rd and long, and get pressure on Ben all day long, bring him down.

Stop them on 3rd downs, dont let them convert 3rd and long, and get pressure on Ben all day long, bring him down.

I believe that BB will be on his backside 4 or 5 times today, but despite this and our LB's being in his face all day I also believe he'll be able to squirm away at the last second on a few encounters and make a play that'll move the chains some way towards the Bengals goal-line, he's that type of player.

We need to keep this game tight and not let them build up a lead thus forcing Dalton to throw for glory.

I'm looking at the Cincy backfield to do what they've got to so

a/ we keep the Steelers O off the field,

b/ we maintain possession and eat large chunks of clock,

c/ we force the Steelers to HAVE to go long and make big plays come the final quarter.

Probably the most important thing is making sure the Oline protects Dalton.

The Steelers are going to score. They are going to have over the top big plays. To stay stride for stride with them, Dalton needs solid play from the worst eon the line (Lookin' at you Nate and Fat Andre).

nice stats scottish :sure:

just got home, so loking forward to the game. Feel we need to run the ball more this week , and rather obviously keep the basic mistakes to a minimum.

Anything can happen, so lets hope for a lotta mistakes from pitts, and a big day for the Bengals.

Enjoy(as much as is possible ;) ) :cheers:

just got home, so loking forward to the game. Feel we need to run the ball more this week , and rather obviously keep the basic mistakes to a minimum.

Anything can happen, so lets hope for a lotta mistakes from pitts, and a big day for the Bengals.

We played 'em close a few weeks ago and on paper these teams are pretty evenly matched.

Lets hope the performance and the result makes the beer taste that little bit sweeter this evening :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

(I've already been ale-ing it for a while .... but seeing as it's pishing it down with snow what else is there to do as I wait for the game to hit the screen)

We played 'em close a few weeks ago and on paper these teams are pretty evenly matched.

Lets hope the performance and the result makes the beer taste that little bit sweeter this evening :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

(I've already been ale-ing it for a while .... but seeing as it's pishing it down with snow what else is there to do as I wait for the game to hit the screen)

good point mate ;) here's hoping we break the sky curse :rolleyes:

game time soon! - gotta get back outside and rake the rest of these dam leaves - just in time for kickoff - WHO DEY!!!

Big game Bengals!!!

Keep the mistakes and big plays to a minimum. Oline and Dalton will have to be disciplined with the Heinz field noise. Dalton cant forget about the Steelers db's and safeties biting for interceptions. A pump fake could go a long way with how this defense plays. :bengal: :bengal: :bengal:

nice stats scottish

Enjoy(as much as is possible

Lets hope the performance and the result makes the beer taste that little bit sweeter this evening

Enjoy(as much as is possible)

Our Euroboys are here! Hell Yeah! :bengal:

nice stats scottish

Enjoy(as much as is possible

Lets hope the performance and the result makes the beer taste that little bit sweeter this evening

Enjoy(as much as is possible)

Our Euroboys are here! Hell Yeah! :bengal:

always nice to be here Billy :sure:

I couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather be ...... apart from Baked Bean Field cheering on the Bengals of course!

Ouch Clemants out today, Ben could have a carrer day today agaisnt this secondary. I wonder what they will do today, move Crocker over to nickle, or will Ghee play today. If so maybe we will see more Mays, or Wilson at safety then. I dont like that Clemants is out that one hurts this defense.

We go with what we got. Let's go to work !