NFL Coaching Carousel Cranking Up Again

HoosierCat

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess well see what happens with Zimmer and Gruden this week.

Gruden i would like to have back i would like to see a full offseason with him and Dalton.

Zimmer he can go i think its time for a new DC, i would like jack del rio or somebody for DC. Im just tired of the defense always falling flat in the end, they start out great, but the end of the year they suck.

The Raiders have indeed fired Hue Jackson:

/>http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/hue-jackson-fired-by-raiders/2012/01/10/gIQAOzfZoP_blog.html

That's surprising to me but these things happen. I have to think Carson is not too pleased. I wonder what the new GM and coach think about Carson?

As for Hue, I think he's a good coach and I'd welcome him back here in a role

The Raiders have indeed fired Hue Jackson:

/>http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/hue-jackson-fired-by-raiders/2012/01/10/gIQAOzfZoP_blog.html

That's surprising to me but these things happen. I have to think Carson is not too pleased. I wonder what the new GM and coach think about Carson?

As for Hue, I think he's a good coach and I'd welcome him back here in a role

My favorite line from the article...

His starting receivers varied from week-to-week, making it difficult for Palmer to establish a connection with his targets.

Yeah. That was the total problem. The receivers. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Brad Johansen said that Indy is interested in talking to Zimmer and he was too honest in Miami and scared them off. Sounds like Tom Coughlin around here in 2003. I wonder if MB ever regrets not hiring TC instead of Marvin. I know I do.

Hopefully Zim will get one if these gigs. He'd probably do alright. Can't do any worse than some of the clowns that get hired.

Brad Johansen said that Indy is interested in talking to Zimmer and he was too honest in Miami and scared them off. Sounds like Tom Coughlin around here in 2003. I wonder if MB ever regrets not hiring TC instead of Marvin. I know I do.

Good memory.

Tressel interviewing for Indy job.

So when do they have to decide about Peyton? Doesn't he get a bonus in early March?

Any thoughts in how this will play out Hoos? Seems like they are ready to turn the whole organization over in Indy. I wonder if Freeney or Mathis are available. I'd love to see us pick one of those guys up.

I think Mathis is a FA, i could be wrong but i thought i saw that.

I'm sure MB thinks we're set at D-line but if we could get to something like the Giants do that would make us tougher to throw on. Especially with a thin secondary.

Teams are passing more and I think the Giants are ahead of the trend on D. To be successful we need to beat the Steelers and Ravens and we can do that with a fierce pass rush that can get Ben and Falco on the ground.

Man are the Colts cleaning house in preparing for Andrew Luck or what ??

Six months ago I wouldn't have thought they were, but after recent events there's no other conclusion to come to. Peyton Manning will end up on the free agent market and there are a slew of teams just drooling over the possibility of snatching him up!

No doubt Billy. They were talking about how the majority of the staff that had been brought up with Peyton have been shown the door recently. I just figured they were going to attempt to do the same thing with Luck and I can't say as I really blame them.

It's not to say I dislike Peyton, because I don't, but if he's healthy do you think they are going to find themselves in a position to take a QB like Luck anytime soon ?? I don't think so...

No doubt Billy. They were talking about how the majority of the staff that had been brought up with Peyton have been shown the door recently. I just figured they were going to attempt to do the same thing with Luck and I can't say as I really blame them.

It's not to say I dislike Peyton, because I don't, but if he's healthy do you think they are going to find themselves in a position to take a QB like Luck anytime soon ?? I don't think so...

Just to be clear, I'm not sold on Luck like I was on Newton. But hey, if Indy wants to draft him I say go for it!

I watched Luck play against ND and in the bowl game and came away far from blown away. Maybe I was expecting too much I don't know. But I'm sure all the experts are correct. I'm sure that his dad being a former player is an advantage too.

But I would imagine that PM will not be with the Colts by springtime. Too much controversy and drama with both guys on the roster for it to be a positive thing.

Luck scores very favorably (9 or more out of 10) in just about every major category that scouts look for. Accuracy, Arm Strength, Touch, Mechanics, Vision, Pocket Presence, Poise, Athleticism, Size... you name it.

But I think the main reason everyone is slobbering over Luck is his football IQ. From what I've heard, no college QB has ever been asked to do more when it comes to running the offense on the field. His role at Stanford has been compared to Peyton Manning's role with the Colts... having the authority to read the defense and call any play he wants at the line of scrimmage. Not only that, he does it well. If that's true... that's a crazy level of football IQ for a guy at the college level (not to mention how talented he is in the other important categories).

Watching Peyton Manning play football isn't as visually impressive or exciting as watching Cam Newton play football. They are playing the same position... but with a very different method. So yeah... watching Luck at Stanford certainly doesn't 'wow' you the same way that Newton did playing at Auburn. And Andrew Luck might not live up to the ridiculous expectations that have been put on him. But that doesn't change the fact that he is one the best college QB prospects to ever enter the NFL draft.

Luck scores very favorably (9 or more out of 10) in just about every major category that scouts look for. Accuracy, Arm Strength, Touch, Mechanics, Vision, Pocket Presence, Poise, Athleticism, Size... you name it.

But I think the main reason everyone is slobbering over Luck is his football IQ. From what I've heard, no college QB has ever been asked to do more when it comes to running the offense on the field. His role at Stanford has been compared to Peyton Manning's role with the Colts... having the authority to read the defense and call any play he wants at the line of scrimmage. Not only that, he does it well. If that's true... that's a crazy level of football IQ for a guy at the college level (not to mention how talented he is in the other important categories).

Watching Peyton Manning play football isn't as visually impressive or exciting as watching Cam Newton play football. They are playing the same position... but with a very different method. So yeah... watching Luck at Stanford certainly doesn't 'wow' you the same way that Newton did playing at Auburn. And Andrew Luck might not live up to the ridiculous expectations that have been put on him. But that doesn't change the fact that he is one the best college QB prospects to ever enter the NFL draft.

Still not buying it Derek. I personally feel Dalton has more potential than Luck. Name the last college QB hyped this much that actually made it in the NFL.