HoosierCat

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Well, here's the headcount so far:

Bears - Smith gone - understandable, but only if he's responsible for failing to fix that horrific o-line for the past umpteen years.

Eagles - Reid - duh.

Jets - GM gone, Rex stays. Have they lost their minds? What leverage does Rex have that he's using to blackmail them with?

Chiefs - Crennel gone, GM stays (for now).

Bills - Gailey gone

Browns - Shurmur/GM gone. It's gotten so bad in Cleveland, I almost feel bad for them. Almost.

Chargers - GM/Turner out.

So, what does it all mean? We're definitely losing at least ONE of our coordinators...

Bears - Smith gone - understandable, but only if he's responsible for failing to fix that horrific o-line for the past umpteen years.

Wow, did not see that one coming. Bears ownership is almost as cheap as the Bengals and Lovie still had a year left on his deal. He will land a DC job somewhere.

Wow, did not see that one coming. Bears ownership is almost as cheap as the Bengals and Lovie still had a year left on his deal. He will land a DC job somewhere.

Hmmm Lovie Smith a 4-3 guy and if Zimmer leaves, he would be great, and could see this defense not miss a step. To bad the bengals probably won't pay what he wants.

This is a pretty smart piece on the nuttiness of Black Monday. This part struck me especially:

Owners are, by and large, insane.

This is closer to the truth than one might imagine. I've been fortunate enough to know dozens of sports franchise owners in my time as a writer, and I can tell you without fear of being contradicted that almost none of them were in their right minds for more than a couple of hours per day when it came to their teams.

Make no mistake: Some owners are simply terrible at this particular trade. But most of them are wild successes in other phases of their lives and are slowly being driven mad by their inability to replicate that success in the arena.

What makes owners crazy? That's easy: franchises that refuse to behave like the rest of their moneymaking businesses. Sports' cost/production models are screwed up beyond all belief. They require long-term investment with absolutely no assurance of long-term success (at least not on the field). They are top-heavy. They can be undermined by a single injury, or a contract dispute, or a great athlete who derails his own career by being an off-the-field fool. They are subject to the domino effect when things begin to go wrong.

In short, sports franchises are exceptionally human enterprises, and that drives many, many owners batty. Solution? Well, "fire the coach" has a certain ring to it, which is one reason you see it happen again and again. It doesn't often work as a franchise-altering strategy, but that's unfocused frustration for you.

• 4 weeks later...

So, what does it all mean? We're definitely losing at least ONE of our coordinators...

Obviously now we know that's not the case. Seeing as a quarter of the league hired new coaches, I think we have to come to the conclusion that our coordinators are not in high demand for whatever reason