NFL Coaching Carousel Cranking Up Again

HoosierCat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i see souces saying that Gruden will be coaching the Rams next year, however espn said he is sticking with espn.

If he does go back into coaching i wonder if he will want brother Jay with him. Man Jay could be a hot item in the offseason, which if he does leave will be bad news for Dalton. So here is hoping he stays

So i see souces saying that Gruden will be coaching the Rams next year, however espn said he is sticking with espn.

If he does go back into coaching i wonder if he will want brother Jay with him. Man Jay could be a hot item in the offseason, which if he does leave will be bad news for Dalton. So here is hoping he stays

Jay Gruden can't make a lateral move unless Mike Brown gives permission. And I'm betting he'll want plenty of compensation (Tampa Bay gave two 1st round picks to Oakland for Jon Gruden).

The only way Gruden leaves Cincinnati this year is if he gets a head coaching gig.

Crennel seems to have the inside track to remain in KC with the other ex-Patriots per ESPN yesterday. Miami's owner wants a big name coach which would likely eliminate Gruden there. I think one good year is probably not enough to get him a head coaching job anywhere but he does have some background from the Arena league, so who knows. The compensation thing is a big deterrent for a guy with minimal NFL experience. Especially if people think that Mike Brown has recently discovered the Jedi Mind Trick that he used on Oakland.

I'd love to see Marvin move upstairs and turn the team over to Gruden and Zimmer in some form. Maybe Zim as HC for a few years with the understanding that JG will eventually take over. Highly unlikely but I'd like to keep both. I think Gruden may also serve as Marvin's "bench coach" too. Have you noticed that the clumsy clock management seems to have improved this year? My guess is that Gruden has helped in that area.I'd hate to go backwards there.

Jay Gruden can't make a lateral move unless Mike Brown gives permission. And I'm betting he'll want plenty of compensation (Tampa Bay gave two 1st round picks to Oakland for Jon Gruden).

I'm pretty sure the NFL outlawed trading picks for coaches after the Gruden deal.

I'm pretty sure the NFL outlawed trading picks for coaches after the Gruden deal.

Oh... well then, even less chance of Jay Gruden going anywhere but Cincinnati next year.

Not trying to be funny, but I don't think i'd be comfortable being a fan, with the thought of Jay Gruden as a head coach.

While I will give him his fair share of credit for what he's done as the OC with this offense, I won't give him more.

There's simply to much difference to think he's the "big get" for a head coaching spot from OC to Head Coach.

It's not to say he won't be some day, but I wouldn't look for it right away.

I think he is ready and I would actually like to see him move to our HC and Marvin to GM but really doubt that will happen.

It won't, but it's an interesting thought. To be honest, since we really have little idea as to what's going on behind the curtains, I really have no clue how well Marvin evaluates talent.

I'm not sure how well Zimmer would handle the HC job, personally. I see him more as a Dick LeBeau type.

For me with Zimmer I see him getting more out of his players in terms of motivation then anything else. I am no brilliant defensive football mind but I see vast differences between Zimmer and Lebeau. Lebeau seems to be an innovator and schemer who will find unique ways to attack you. To me Zimmer seems to do pretty consistent things, without too much creativity but he has, at times, got his guys to buy in and play really well.

Mike Martz quits as Bears OC.

What's up with this? Does he have his eye on a head coaching gig?

Martz hasn't seemed much interested in hanging around for a while. His contract is up shortly (at the end of this league year) and he turned down a 1-year extension they offered him last June.