NFL Coaching Carousel Cranking Up Again

HoosierCat

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if offering DelRio a job on this staff is a good idea. Im afraid that Gruden and Zimmer might get offered HC jobs this offseason. While he probably will look for another HC job or TV spot somewhere, DelRio worked with Marvin and would be a good replacement should Zimmer leave.

I'm wondering if offering DelRio a job on this staff is a good idea. Im afraid that Gruden and Zimmer might get offered HC jobs this offseason. While he probably will look for another HC job or TV spot somewhere, DelRio worked with Marvin and would be a good replacement should Zimmer leave.

Yep i wouldnt mind Jack on this team, i always thought he had a good defense mind, and he did work good with Marvin.

As far as Jay Gruden goes, it is kind of scary because the job would be back in his home town. I dont know that would be really really bad for the development of Andy, just because he and Gruden seem to have a good relationship. Guess will see what happenes, but i sure hope he stays.

Well, as far as hot seats are concerned, I think Andy Reid's ass is now officially on fire.

That performance last night on national television was piss poor--the type that gets coaches fired

With changes likely in Indianapolis, San Diego and elsewhere, and others looking shaky, up-and-coming assistant coaches ready to step in include Bengals' Jay Gruden and Jets' Brian Schottenheimer.

(Phelan M. Ebenhack / Associated Press)November 28, 2011|Sam Farmer

The "Fire Andy!" chants are in the air in Philadelphia, where Eagles Coach Andy Reid is watching a once-promising NFL season crumble.

In San Diego, where the Chargers have lost six in a row, Coach Norv Turner's job looks more tenuous by the week.

Jim Caldwell is unlikely to survive the free fall of the Indianapolis Colts, and Jacksonville could soon be missing its Jack, as Del Rio is running out of answers.

It's likely there will be changes at the top next season in Miami, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City and San Diego. The coaches' seats are getting hot in Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, New York (Giants), Dallas, Minnesota and Washington. If Houston's Gary Kubiak doesn't just get to the playoffs but win a game, he's in trouble.

The league average turnover of head coaches since 1989 is 6.5 per year.

So who are the up-and-coming assistant coaches who could be in line for top jobs, now that hiring retreads has become more the exception than the rule?

Jay Gruden, for one. Cincinnati's first-year offensive coordinator, and the younger brother of coach-turned-ESPN analyst Jon Gruden, is rapidly on the rise as a head-coaching candidate. The Bengals are in the thick of the AFC playoff race at 7-4, and the rookie tandem of quarterback Andy Dalton and receiver A.J. Green is assembling quite a highlight package of big plays. Three times this season, the Bengals have overcome a double-digit halftime deficit to win, most recently Sunday against Cleveland. It was Gruden who pushed hardest for the Bengals to draft Dalton.

In a phone interview Monday, Gruden said he's "flattered" by the rumblings that he will be considered for future openings but, predictably, said he's focused on the task at hand.

"I've never really tried to look ahead and look for other jobs," he said. "I feel like I have a great job right now. I can't lose my focus. That might sound like B.S., but it's really not."

Before taking the Bengals job, Gruden's only previous NFL gig was as an offensive assistant to Jon in Tampa Bay from 2002 to 2008. The younger brother has accumulated plenty of football experience, however. Jay threw for more than 7,000 yards as Louisville's quarterback from 1985 to 1988, and later was a highly decorated player, then a player/coach, in the Arena Football League. For the last two years, he was a head coach in the fledgling United Football League.

"I wouldn't have interviewed for the job if I didn't think so. I don't like to go into a job where I feel like I'm overwhelmed or don't think I could handle it," he said. "I had no problem with it mentally. I knew I could do it. It was just a matter of getting an opportunity."

The Jets' Brian Schottenheimer is likely to be considered a top candidate for multiple jobs, and played a major role in getting New York to consecutive AFC championship games, even with the up-and-down play of quarterback Mark Sanchez. Just before the season, Schottenheimer signed a two-year deal that made him among the highest-paid offensive coordinators in football.

Among the other NFL assistants who could be considered for head-coaching opportunities are Green Bay's Tom Clements and Winston Moss.

Clements has been the Packers' quarterbacks coach since 2006, having previously held that job in Pittsburgh, Kansas City and New Orleans. Considering the rise of Aaron Rodgers, clubhouse leader for this season's most-valuable-player award, Clements' credentials are gold.

It's hard to imagine the Packers not producing at least a couple of head coaches from that staff, particularly if the team goes undefeated and/or wins another Super Bowl. (On the staff of the 16-0 New England Patriots in 2007 were future head coach Josh McDaniels, and future Atlanta General Manager Thomas Dimitroff.)

Moss, a former NFL linebacker, coaches inside linebackers for the Packers and since 2007 has also held the title of assistant head coach. Green Bay's defense has finished in the top five the last two seasons, the first time that has happened in consecutive years since 1968-69. Dom Capers, the defensive coordinator, gets much of the credit for that, but Moss has played a role in that too.

"I think [Moss] is ready to be a head coach right now," said John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, an advocacy group that promotes the hiring of minority coaches and executives by NFL teams.

In addition to Moss' ability to teach, Wooten said, he's in charge of handing down discipline for off-the-field infractions and has "had very little problems" since taking on that responsibility.

Other assistants who Wooten says deserve a chance to be head coaches are New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, who was Buffalo's interim head coach after Dick Jauron was fired, and Curtis Johnson, New Orleans' receivers coach since 2006. (Though for Fewell, blowouts like Monday night's loss at New Orleans don't help his cause.)

Twenty-five of the 32 teams have head coaches who had never held that position for other NFL franchises when they were hired, and there's no reason to think there will be a shift back to hiring retreads. So you can expect most upcoming vacancies will be filled by first-time head coaches.

Jay Gruden, for one, isn't looking beyond this week.

"It's only been 11 games so far," he said.

"I've never sent out a resume, so to speak. I've always been really fortunate with the job that I've had and tried to make the best of it, enjoy it, and then if something else down the road happens, it happens."

sam.farmer@latimes

Funny how everyone criticized Grudens hiring back in January.

Its amazing isnt it!

I still think the bengals need to do everything they have to sign these young assitant coaches to longer term deals. I think as young as these guys are, it can only get better with everyone here. It would be a huge loss if Gruden was to go, i think it would just hurt Daltons progress big time. We have seen this before with other young QBs, and it didnt fair to well, so im just hoping that he sticks around for along time, as i think something special could be coming for this team.

I know he's one of the hot names but honestly I would be leery if I were a GM or owner only because it's his first year as an assistant. In his favor, is his experience as GM and coach in the Arena league plus his work with his brother Jon in Tampa.

I hope him and Zimmer would be willing to stay a couple of seasons now that we've got something good going here.

Funny how everyone criticized Grudens hiring back in January.

Its amazing isnt it!

I still think the bengals need to do everything they have to sign these young assitant coaches to longer term deals. I think as young as these guys are, it can only get better with everyone here. It would be a huge loss if Gruden was to go, i think it would just hurt Daltons progress big time. We have seen this before with other young QBs, and it didnt fair to well, so im just hoping that he sticks around for along time, as i think something special could be coming for this team.

It doesn't matter. Asst coaches can get out of multiyear deals if they're offered promotions such as head coaching gigs. That's how it works. If you don't like asst coaches being mentioned as head coaching candidates, hire sorry coaches. It's a good problem to have

If you don't like asst coaches being mentioned as head coaching candidates, hire sorry coaches.

Two examples: Jim Bollman, Ohio State offensive coordinator and o-line coach. The D cooridinators at Ohio State consistently move on to head coaching jobs, meanwhile Bollman never even gets mentioned. Because he sucks.

Let's talk about all the head coaching jobs for which our assistant head coach has been considered.

If you don't like asst coaches being mentioned as head coaching candidates, hire sorry coaches.

Two examples: Jim Bollman, Ohio State offensive coordinator and o-line coach. The D cooridinators at Ohio State consistently move on to head coaching jobs, meanwhile Bollman never even gets mentioned. Because he sucks.

There is a way around this rule of thumb. You don't have to hire s**tty coaches... just coaches that are not head coach material. LeBeau is willing to remain a career coordinator because of how terrible he was as a head coach.

So if Zimmer gets his opportunity, you don't have to hire a s**tty coach. You just need to hire one who was an utter failure and unlikely to get another head coaching offer.

I'm thinking Jack Del Rio fits the bill.

There is a way around this rule of thumb. You don't have to hire s**tty coaches... just coaches that are not head coach material. LeBeau is willing to remain a career coordinator because of how terrible he was as a head coach.

So if Zimmer gets his opportunity, you don't have to hire a s**tty coach. You just need to hire one who was an utter failure and unlikely to get another head coaching offer.

I'm thinking Jack Del Rio fits the bill.

If Zimmer does go then i like Jack Del Rio as the d cordinator. He and Marvin are pretty close as well, so i wouldnt mind him coming here for a cordinator postion, or even LB coach.

Scratch Todd Haley in KC.

And Tony Soprano I mean Sparano in Miami.

According to ESPN the Miami owner is trying to make a big splash and is reportedly interested in Bill Cowher or even Jon Gruden. It's highly unlikely that they would be interested in lil Gruden or Zim at this point.

And they also mentioned Jeff Fisher as a prime candidate for the KC job. Romeo Crennell is taking over as interim coach for the rest of the season.