Bengals @ Steelers Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bengals need a win here or they can forget about the division.

I think they get it. :sure:

I think they get it too... but I still think they can forget about the division.

The Ravens only have one game left against a team with a winning record (the Bengals in week 17). I know the Ravens have been inconsistent, but they are going to be heavily favored in each of their next 4 games (@Cle, Indy, @SD, Cle).

They swept the Steelers... so the only way the Bengals will have any legitimate shot to win the division is for Baltimore to s**t the bed vs. the Browns. It's possible... but unlikely.

Frankly, having Baltimore win their next 4 games is not a bad thing for the Bengals, because if Baltimore goes into week 17 at 12-3, it's unlikely that they'll have much to play for.

I think they get it too... but I still think they can forget about the division.

The Ravens only have one game left against a team with a winning record (the Bengals in week 17). I know the Ravens have been inconsistent, but they are going to be heavily favored in each of their next 4 games (@Cle, Indy, @SD, Cle).

They swept the Steelers... so the only way the Bengals will have any legitimate shot to win the division is for Baltimore to s**t the bed vs. the Browns. It's possible... but unlikely.

Frankly, having Baltimore win their next 4 games is not a bad thing for the Bengals, because if Baltimore goes into week 17 at 12-3, it's unlikely that they'll have much to play for.

Except that maybe they'll realize if they beat us that week they can keep us out - versus someone who scares them a lot less like the Broncos or Jets or something. It will be interesting.

I've gone on record as being worried about the Broncos and Titans, and as much as I can't fathom Tebow continuing to win, he is. Football is so much about emotion, and those guys are mainlining it...

Either way, it looks like the two wild card games will involve the AFC West winner (probably LA), and the Texans. I'd hope we get the Texans.

I wouldn't give the Ravens the San Diego game just yet. Sure, the Chargers suck, but so did the Seahawks when Baltimore travelled to the West Coast to lose to them. I think that game, of their remaining schedule (minus us) is the one most likely to be a loss.

I guess I'll put this one here since I'm on some form of super secret probation that prevents me from starting a new Gresham thread. <_<:lmao:

From PFF....

Stepping up

After losing a touchdown last week to the ‘Calvin Johnson rule’, maybe Jermaine Gresham (+3.5) had a little bit of extra motivation*. It certainly looked that way as the Browns not only had trouble covering him, but also besting him in the run game. Gresham, not always someone who excels with his in line blocking, had joy against Jabaal Sheard and Brian Schafering in one of his most complete performances to date even if he did give up a sack. His most notable impact may have been as a receiver, with his touchdown (Q3 1:29) being a great adjustment, but Bengals fans should be happy that this was the first time all year that he graded positively with his blocking and receiving.

*I called that one in one of the deleted threads.

I agree that the number 1 player we need healthy is Dunlap.

Anyone have a source that lists snap count for the DL? Interested in what Michael Johnson has been doing since his 7 tackle game against Denver?

I know that through the first 9 games he had the most snaps of any player on the D-Line (averaging 46 snaps/game).

I believe he only played 18 snaps against Baltimore (he injured his shoulder early in the game, I think).

Not sure about yesterday. Kirk usually comes out with them on Tuesday.

Gresham.....graded positively with his blocking and receiving

Woot!

He had a good game, and you acknowledged it :-)

For the record, I actually predicted it in two seperate threads. Sadly, both threads were deleted, one by accident, and the other by......(voice trails off)

Fire tempers steel. Facing adversity defines a persons character. And along those same lines I had expressed my hope that Gresham's bobbled TD that wasn't might provide a bit of a spark.

Last point. Gresham still doesn't impress much as a blocker but he is getting better. And the reason I think he's improved isn't his technique. It's attitude. He just looks a little more willing to do the dirty work that results in better production in the run game. And yeah, that's what I've been waiting for.

Gresham still doesn't impress much as a blocker but he is getting better. And the reason I think he's improved isn't his technique. It's attitude. He just looks a little more willing to do the dirty work that results in better production in the run game. And yeah, that's what I've been waiting for.

I've heard it said many times that blocking is mostly about 'want to'. Glad to see we are both starting to see it, not dissimilar to how we see the current WR Corps wanting to block and ergo, blocking occurs -- unlike how things had been in previous years.

For the record, I actually predicted it in two seperate threads. Sadly, both threads were deleted, one by accident, and the other by......

Me.

For the record.

I hope we reach a point where we can get back to openly, intelligently, and oftentimes quite humorously discuss this Jekyll and Hyde team. Oh, and put me down from more of the "Jekyll 2011 edition" please

I for one really liked the limited moderation I've seen for the past....some of you mods may think you allowed too much, but I think it was right on the money. I mean, this isn't Congress or Federal Court, this is a Bengals Board :-) Forums.MyLittlePony.com it ain't, nor should it ever be. I think we all have 20+ years of misery to get off our chests and so it won't always be pretty. I equate it a bit to the game on the field - the less the refs have to do with it, the better; let the players play - but that doesn't mean the refs shouldn't be there to keep things in order. You guys have done an outstanding job over the years, and I hope we find a way to return to what was.

I think we all have 20+ years of misery to get off our chests and so it won't always be pretty.

And that's the f**king problem.

In case you haven't noticed it, this forum is dead. Almost no one new comes here. Look at the last gameday thread. How many commenters have fewer than 1,000 posts?

Pretty much zip, right?

If I was looking for a place to talk Bengals football and found this place I'd run like hell. A dozen or so a**h***s (including me) arguing about s**t they can't understand because it all references crap that was said 5 years ago.

So, either we quit acting like a**h***s and open this place up again, or we tell B24 to quit wasting his money maintaining server space for a rotting corpse of a forum.

Gresham still doesn't impress much as a blocker but he is getting better. And the reason I think he's improved isn't his technique. It's attitude. He just looks a little more willing to do the dirty work that results in better production in the run game. And yeah, that's what I've been waiting for.

I've heard it said many times that blocking is mostly about 'want to'. Glad to see we are both starting to see it, not dissimilar to how we see the current WR Corps wanting to block and ergo, blocking occurs -- unlike how things had been in previous years.

I guess if I wanted to I could blast away at Gresham's unproductive first half being just more of the same, but instead I'll point to one of the things that just burned me up while watching Gresham in the first game, but wasn't repeated in the rematch.

Specifically, in the first Cleveland game I counted four plays where Gresham made no contact with a defender due to the play being run to the opposite side. Maybe that's okay with some of you, but back in the day I was pulled from a game for pulling that very same stunt, and I can still hear my coach telling me that if I wanted to take a play off I should stand next to him on the sidelines. He went on to say something along the lines of...when you take a play off you give the opposing player a play off.

I could go on but I won't. And the reason I won't is because anything I say is going to be quickly countered by some anonymous idiot who only pays attention when the football is in the air.

And for the record, I'd like it noted how I didn't name names this time. :sure:

I think we all have 20+ years of misery to get off our chests and so it won't always be pretty.

In case you haven't noticed it, this forum is dead. Almost no one new comes here. Look at the last gameday thread. How many commenters have fewer than 1,000 posts?

Pretty much zip, right?

It ain't up to me but maybe bending over backwards to please posters who don't actually post isn't the smartest idea you've ever had.

That said, I defer.

Pretty much zip, right?

If I was looking for a place to talk Bengals football and found this place I'd run like hell. A dozen or so a**h***s (including me) arguing about s**t they can't understand because it all references crap that was said 5 years ago.

So, either we quit acting like a**h***s and open this place up again, or we tell B24 to quit wasting his money maintaining server space for a rotting corpse of a forum.

Hey, I'm new... :'(

Pretty much zip, right?

Hey, I'm new... :'(

fREASH mEAT//////

=

/

Bengals need to win indeed. Of all places, Heinz Field. Toughest field or one of the toughest fields in the NFL to play at. But still, you got to admit, they have had a great year and Andy Dalton is indeed the future and present of the franchise.